As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    There's a museum level in Judgement Rights and it's like suits of medieval armour mixed with space probes and robots.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I suspect WW3 was a significant cultural bottleneck, especially with First Contact coming soon thereafter.
    (Oh, and everything being nuked to shit.)

I could see everything before First Contact being lumped into the Before Time.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I love how a baseball played a not insignificant part of driving Dukat insane.
    Just over those six episodes, he starts off playing with it like a trophy, and ends up throwing it into his hands like a desperately needed stress ball.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    dukat goin space-crazy is fuckin awesome. dukat might be the best villain in the entire franchise just based on the performances, he's enthralling to watch, especially in that one episode where him and sisko are stranded on that planet and he's just goin N U T S

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    dukat goin space-crazy is fuckin awesome. dukat might be the best villain in the entire franchise just based on the performances, he's enthralling to watch, especially in that one episode where him and sisko are stranded on that planet and he's just goin N U T S

That should really have been Dukat's last episode.

Actually, I think Dukat's actual last appearance should have been when he's completely broken up over Ziyal's death and hands Sisko his baseball back. But I guess Waltz was fine too.

The one good thing Dukat did in Season 7 was giving Damar a pep talk.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    he's just such a joy to watch on screen that i kinda never wanted the character to go away tbh lol

• Options
    Oh, yeah, no, Dukat's actor is a joy to watch. Come to think of it, all of the prominent Cardassian characters are a joy to watch.

But Dukat's storyline in the last season was just a train wreck I could have done without.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The writers realized too many people liked / were empathizing with Charming Space Hitler and hit the panic button.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    i kinda feel like it would have been more effective in the end to have kai wynn be the real BBEG, but then i also think that it was important for An Cardassian (not necessarily Dukat but who else are you gonna get at that point) be the villain at the end, if not just for symbolism's sake, because otherwise i'd get the feeling from the ending of, like, "oh the bajorans were their own worst enemies all along!" or something dumb when, like, nah it was the space nazis i super promise.

this thought isn't fully formed but i hope it's at least somewhat coherent.

edit: having said that though, yeah the whole romance sub-plot and... yeah it's weird af

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Final season Dukat was an experiment into how evil you have to make a fictional Hitler to get people to stop sympathizing with them.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    It's weird how Star Trek labels anything pre-2100 as "ancient." Like, we see 1719 as a long time ago, but I don't think anyone could call it ancient.

I wonder what a Star Trek universe museum is like.

"And here we have the Ancient Earth exhibit, with such artefacts as ancient Egyptian sarcophagus, ancient Mesopotamian clay tablets, ancient American lunar landers, and ancient European stone tools."

"This is an ancient Earth device called a "Nintendo". Scientists are still analyzing it, but old Earth records report that it was constructed with a material called "Nintendium". We hope to one day unlock the secrets of its incredible durability for starship construction."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only thing that grinds my gears is when they call stuff like the Beastie Boys "classical music". Just... no. That doesn't work. We don't call swing music from the 20's "classical" and we never will either. The closest word that matches is "oldies", but even now that sort of refers to a sort of specific era of music (40's-60's generally).

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Classic rock?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Specifically Beastie Boys, I'd probably say "classical punk rock".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It's weird how Star Trek labels anything pre-2100 as "ancient." Like, we see 1719 as a long time ago, but I don't think anyone could call it ancient.

"And here we have the Ancient Earth exhibit, with such artefacts as ancient Egyptian sarcophagus, ancient Mesopotamian clay tablets, ancient American lunar landers, and ancient European stone tools."

"This is an ancient Earth device called a "Nintendo". Scientists are still analyzing it, but old Earth records report that it was constructed with a material called "Nintendium". We hope to one day unlock the secrets of its incredible durability for starship construction."

"The device "Nintendo" had a ceremonial purpose in the ancient earth religion. Records show it displayed the image of an immortal dog mocking the believers; the believers would try to shoot the image using a ceremonial tool but to no effect, of course. The dog-god, called "Nintendogs", is believed to personify frustration, and the act of shooting at him was to teach believers about the futility of attacking your frustrations through violence. Instead, believers had to let him go, at which point he transformed into a duck and flew away, representing the believers' frustrations leaving them and their becoming free."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    Final season Dukat was an experiment into how evil you have to make a fictional Hitler to get people to stop sympathizing with them.

I liked Dukat right up until he slept with Kai Winn. And that's because Louise Fletcher did such a good job at making Kai Winn a real character to hate.

• Options
    "ancient earthlings, according to archaeological survey, were fascinated with plastic, silicon, glass, and steel phalli, with other construction materials appearing in cruder forms in earlier periods. by the early 21st century, these religious fertility icons had achieved such a proliferation among the ancient citizens that there were temples devoted specifically to these objects! we know these were temples incidentally because of the effigies of sheep found within, made of a non-biodegrading material that our scientists are currently analyzing! we believe these objects, when inflated, were pierced with the long ceremonial needles, found on site and likely also used to attach the crude pieces of steel jewelry also recovered nearby, mimicking more ancient forms of animal sacrifice."

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

The galaxy only has the technology base to manufacture crates out of this phaser proof material.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

"The device "Nintendo" had a ceremonial purpose in the ancient earth religion. Records show it displayed the image of an immortal dog mocking the believers; the believers would try to shoot the image using a ceremonial tool but to no effect, of course. The dog-god, called "Nintendogs", is believed to personify frustration, and the act of shooting at him was to teach believers about the futility of attacking your frustrations through violence. Instead, believers had to let him go, at which point he transformed into a duck and flew away, representing the believers' frustrations leaving them and their becoming free."

And next to it, the archaic "Se-Ga". We're not sure exactly what it's purpose was, but according to ancient texts, it does what Nintendon't.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I'm sure the holodeck has a complete library of NES roms, preserved through the centuries.

Nerds ain't letting their videogames disappear, and there's no way we reach a Star Trek future without a shitton of nerds.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    holodeck recreation of a cluttered basement, 1995-ish, 70's era goldenrod-and-brown-and-orange-floral-pattern couch, thick avocado shag carpet.

all my best holodeck ideas are so boring it's hysterical.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I'm sure the holodeck has a complete library of NES roms, preserved through the centuries.

Nerds ain't letting their videogames disappear, and there's no way we reach a Star Trek future without a shitton of nerds.

They get played for 15 minutes before the user has their fill and switches to a recreation of a public domain fictional setting that have romanceable holograms.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man alive I had no idea people are upset with how discovery shows old star ships with new graphics. Like seriously guys this is your concern? Sometimes fellow nerds make me sad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Well there are so many problems with STD, I'm sure that's not their only concern.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

They get played for 15 minutes before the user has their fill and switches to a recreation of a public domain fictional setting that have romanceable holograms.

So... Mass Effect?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Well there are so many problems with STD, I'm sure that's not their only concern.

Choosing STD as their initials was an unfortunate start.

• Options
    None of the other shows have ST in the shortform. Discovery should just be DIS

TOS
    TAS
    TNG
    DS9
    VOY
    ENT

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bursar wrote: »
    Sisko also spent months building an interstellar spaceship by hand in his free time which proved a theory about Bajoran history, but that never got mentioned again after that one episode.

I kind of like the running theme of captains having kind of esoteric, weird hobbies that come up every now and again, like Picard's archaeology or Janeway's cosplay, and I really love how nobody ever really remarks on it, because it suggests that this is just the normal state of affairs.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    Sisko also spent months building an interstellar spaceship by hand in his free time which proved a theory about Bajoran history, but that never got mentioned again after that one episode.

I kind of like the running theme of captains having kind of esoteric, weird hobbies that come up every now and again, like Picard's archaeology or Janeway's cosplay, and I really love how nobody ever really remarks on it, because it suggests that this is just the normal state of affairs.

It makes sense really. Like there would be down time, and I assume most people have non like dangerous hobbies?

I mean we also see on TNG that data liked to analyse music, Geordi Creeped on women, Riker had that MMA thing, Worf was into klingon cosplay, and O'brien hated himself enough to marry keiko.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    OBrien is a darts master and Keiko is fine and needs to stop having people shit on her

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The only thing that grinds my gears is when they call stuff like the Beastie Boys "classical music". Just... no. That doesn't work. We don't call swing music from the 20's "classical" and we never will either. The closest word that matches is "oldies", but even now that sort of refers to a sort of specific era of music (40's-60's generally).

I'm not sure the guy who put Beastie Boys into Trek actually knows a distinction exists between classical = old and classical = Classical period (1750-1820).

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Future people referring to the Beastie Boys as “classical” feels perfectly plausible to me. Definitions shift and broaden over time. As SiliconStew points out, the colloquial meaning of the term has already broadened to encompass music outside the “classical period”, like baroque music and romantic music and even modern day orchestral music.

wandering on
  • Options
    I always like that joke when it happens tbh. Doctor Who did it the best.

https://youtu.be/rJEyX1On_b0

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    When did Motley crew become "classic rock"

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    When did Motley crew become "classic rock"

when did ozzy become an actor?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm just here for the beats and the shouting.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    if a joined trill asks to "borrow my body for a few hours" I think that's a no from me dog

keep your memories out of my brain

(I think I hate all Jadzia eps except the early one where her previous host was wanted for murder)

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Okay so Odo and Garak went on a jaunt where they witnessed a Changeling posing as a Romulan leader to lead them into a trap

And since then, there's no way to test folks as changelings? Some sort of scan or something they could place on the station? Other than Odo they're all potential enemies of the Fed, get on it guys

Anyway now they're stuck on a ship in a real The Thing situation and it doesn't look good

So It Goes on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    don't worry, they start figuring out some ways to test in the very episode you're in!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah god took them long enough

Now I just want to watch the Thing tho

So It Goes on
This discussion has been closed.