As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    One million dollars, with two full days left to raise more. GET. HYPED.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Just a couple of guys in a boat... with guns!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    TASBot block coming up

BahamutZERO.gif
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    TASBot is live!

SMB 1 with a portal gun is amusing

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The Twitch plays Scribblenauts is good. If you missed it, this is definitely something you'll want to watch later.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    TASBot block is...weird. Like, what they're doing is neat, and technically impressive. But. Just give me more Castlevania-style TAS runs. I want to see that damn robot bend the game over its knee.

And like, recognized games. Portal Mario is cool, but..I'd never heard of it. (Also it's Portal mechanics, they're practically designed to break like that. I guaran-damn-tee you none of that shit in Castlevania was intended)

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love seeing TASBot for how they break games. And the idea of having the bot use a physical stylus is just so insane and old school. It's like Bender in the upgrade episode. Still, the SkHype stuff was probably the most impressive TAS thing they've done. Just.. bending consoles over backwards.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I feel bad for the FFIX run. Just no support for those goals.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I feel bad for the FFIX run. Just no support for those goals.

There's still plenty of time, the marriage for example is 3 hours into the run, so there's time for more donations

god I like FF9 but sitting through 9.5 hours of FF9 in the middle of the night is not something I think I can physically do

BahamutZERO.gif
    F.L.U.D.D. rules.

Fi, take notes.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I have never played Super Mario Sunshine and I am currently wildly confused by the first five minutes of the plot? I can't hear anything because they're talking, so all I know is, they're going on vacation, they almost crash on the runway because of some monster thing which Mario defeats with the water backpack thing, and what Mario gets in reward is to be put in jail??!? And then there's some sort of sham trial?!?

there's a mario-lookalike covering the town in goop, and mario is falsely accused of being the vandal

BahamutZERO.gif
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Jeez, crazy, half hour under estimate.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my favorite part of this GDQ is PJ's moustache

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy 9, time to see my girl Freya kicking butt.

Unless she's not part of the speed strats :(

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    They wont kill enough dragons for the easy 9999 dragon crest but I think her jump is good damage until steiner becomes a god

icGJy2C.png
    edited January 2019
    Goddamn do I love the pre-rendered backgrounds in 9

Radius on
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    This makes me soooo happy, as someone who adores RPG Limit Break, this scratches a major itch for me.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I always regretted that I never played FF9. Having now seen an hour into it or so, I need to rectify that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 9, time to see my girl Freya kicking butt.

Unless she's not part of the speed strats :(

She plays a major role near the end

edited January 2019
    Radius wrote: »
    Goddamn do I love the pre-rendered backgrounds in 9

The three things from FF I really miss: prerendered backgrounds, sakaguchi's stories, and uematsu's music

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I've n ever seen FF9 before, these character models/textures are ridiculously good for a PS1 game.

Crippl3 wrote: »
    I've n ever seen FF9 before, these character models/textures are ridiculously good for a PS1 game.
    They noted earlier that the backgrounds for the game are actually massive down-res'd for the sake of the console. When they were drawn they were done so in really high detail and you can find those on the internet.

edited January 2019
    As of this post it's last call for donations for the wedding incentive in FF9. And it just spiked 4k toward the goal! OH MAN. Even I threw down money.

Edit - INCENTIVE MET, that was down to the wire. Also there's no way my donation comment will get read on stream. The current announcer asked people for their favorite video game couples.
    "The best couple is Zero and Iris, they give each other something to fight for!"

Henroid on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's throwing me to see boss fights being resolved in a couple of turns.
    I'm mentally conditioned to have my team just defend and heal while Zidane tries to steal everything from the boss, including the 1% super rare item.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I think I might have played too much FFIX? I tuned into run, saw Soul Cage, and knew almost exactly how long both a speed run would take as well as my own play time. I don't have my PSX anymore, but now I kinda want to pick up the PC port. I never did complete the Lost Nero Family side quest...

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    IX is my all time favourite FF it's a love letter to the classic FF games and it's such a cosy game to play

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    holy hell the mad lad went and gone and done it

https://clips.twitch.tv/GloriousComfortableTomatoTwitchRaid

That is some sick menuing

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    god I wish I could've stayed up

PiptheFair on
    I'm totally gonna watch that run on VOD

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey folks, AGDQ 2019 is coming to a close. Don’t forget to get your donations in if you want the grand prize entry, and also to buy any AGDQ merch from Yetee or Fangamer since a lot of it is only on sale during the marathon. Also, start compiling recommendations for the OP.

Enjoy the remaining runs!

YL9WnCY.png
    Beasteh wrote: »
    holy hell the mad lad went and gone and done it

https://clips.twitch.tv/GloriousComfortableTomatoTwitchRaid
    ... HOLY SHIT.

Anyone else notice the schedule has the event lined up to end at 10:20pm pacific time? It usually ends after midnight. I don't think Super Metroid is the last game, there has to be a hidden bonus incentive game they're going to drop mid-day.

oof that game was not marathon safe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ugh... Can't believe this is almost over.

I always feel a little depressed for a few days after a GDQ ends

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

yeah it was a huge step up over 8, graphically

there's a lot I don't like about the character designs but I think it was smart of them to find a middleground between 8's realism and 7's hyper-exaggeration

This LttP one hit KO run is tense and amazing.

Yay, Eyes5 is still making plushies for the event!

... Holy cow that Crocomire is sooooo cute!