As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Downwell, Dragon Marked for Death, and Wargroove out now.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    sometimes I think I might want to play DKC 2 again

then I wonder if I actually just want to listen to stickerbrush symphony

turns out that's what it always is

I don't know if I'm ever going to replay it, but it was a very good time (with some real bullshit parts)

I need to get back to Super Mario World

super mario world is probably my favorite 2d Mario game

though I recognize that 3 is probably more interesting in most of the ways that matter

• Options
    AllerdaleAllerdale Registered User regular
    All of this DKC talk just reaffirms my need to have the trilogy on the Switch.

I was heavily contemplating grabbing NSMBU Deluxe today but was torn because I *vaguely* remembered it being pretty short when I played it on the WiiU. But I also never played the Luigi content or totally 100%'d anything.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    super mario world is very... safe, I guess

it's not taking as many risks, not trying as much weird shit as SMB3

then again, this is probably just because 3 was trying to one-up 1 and both versions of 2, while World had to sell the new system

they're both great games, they just take a rather different approach to things

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    Dandara is hard.

Again? Doesn't matter. Goodbye, Dandara.
    I actually wasn't stuck on that boss. I was thinking of the 2nd(?) boss. I'll describe since I think the game is I think somewhat non-linear in classic Metroid fashion.
    It was the "Face with a stone ring and a heart" fight. Which, might I say, may be the best "the boss doesn't move" fight I've played since... ever? Took me at least half a dozen tries.

Gundi on
  • Options
    I SEE YOU PLAYING DANDARA @Wyborn

I SEES YOU.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I need to play Dandara enough that the controls don't bother me, but they bother me enough to get to that point

• Options
    edited January 2019
    dandara update:
    oh man this shield I got would have made that aforementioned boss so much easier if I had gone here first. but the boss was fun enough I'm kind of glad I didn't.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    dandara update:
    oh man this shield I got would have made that aforementioned boss so much easier if I had gone here first. but the boss was fun enough I'm kind of glad I didn't.
    wait

shield?

did. did I beat the game without knowing you could get a shield

• Options
    dandara update:
    wait

shield?

did. did I beat the game without knowing you could get a shield
    yes

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    "Again? Doesn't matter. Goodbye, Dandara." is a perfect dialogue to get when re-trying a first boss

It sort of... this is very particular to me, but it recalls the way I felt when I was playing through the first Dark Souls and recording my thoughts on the forum. I think it might have been in G&T?

I remember I was throwing myself against the Capra Demon over and over, and mused what it would be like if it were a thinking creature, if it could recognize me, if it could know that I would never stop coming, and that I only needed to win once

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I mean all the characters in Dark Souls do know you're gonna keep coming back. That's like the main reason why literally everyone is terrified of Undead in Dark Souls-land.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dandara had its flaws (I think the map orientation issue was patched, hopefully they added obstacle indicators) but I love that game a whole lot.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight a member of my Mario Party crew made an actual physical Mario Party board game.

And so it has begun.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    did you kill them? because that seems like a crime worthy of capital punishment.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think Zonugal is patient zero of the Party Plague

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    why didn't you have one at mario party party

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have taken the role of this game's villain.

And if I could give one monologue, to sum up my machinations thus far...

"Chaos isn't a pit... Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try it again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb. They refuse. They cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."

• Options
    why didn't you have one at mario party party

You would have still lost.

• Options
    actually i won

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    YOU MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT, SIR.

• Options
    prove it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Having a blast playing portable Vesperia, so very happy right now. If all the Switch ever did was dip back into my previous system catalogs that would already be enough on its own to have them portable. Add in new stuff and just... damn.

• Options
    Ahahaha

In the last round of the game I managed to claw my way to victory.

I WON!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8AWX_f2ZAE

• Options
    dandara update: man the dreamlands suck.

like way to go from real good design to absolutely awful level design from zero to ten.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    @Zonugal that sounds about right for Mario Party, so your friend succeeded at the Last Minute Bullshit factor.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I bought Celeste with some eshop bux I got for xmas, and it's good! And...that's it. Climbed the mountain, did the first few B sides, died about a thousand times. It's good, but not sure what made it on so many GOTW lists

• Options
    people like good platformers.

i really love

good platformers

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    people like good platformers.

i really love

good platformers

also the story is very sweet and kindhearted and made me cry like three separate times

• Options
    The story is good, but I wouldn't call it amazing. For what's there, it's nice.

• Options
    i think it does a very good job of connecting the act of learning to play a difficult video game with the act of living with depression and anxiety

obviously, your mileage is gonna vary, but i think it's an extremely clever game that can look a little deceptively simple with what it's doing

it's not like, all time greatest video game ever made, but i still think it's something really special

and also it plays great and also it looks great and also the music is great

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    having a platformer be about stress is very clever and I think worked really well

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    celeste and the missing were a weird one-two punch of "extremely kind-hearted platformers about depression" that tackled the subject from completely different angles and i played them both back to back in the past month and i love them both

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    having a platformer be about stress is very clever and I think worked really well

I knew Celeste was about depression an anxiety.

I had to stop playing at one point because a room was make me really frustrated and then suddenly it was like a little light bulb went on and it became really clear what they were doing.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I normally do not gel with games where you are expected to die over and over again. It's why I avoid rogue-likes like the plague.

But I absolutely adored Celeste.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think exploring in Dandara is the most relieved I've ever been to find save points

For being a Metroid-like, its amped up difficulty and resource-based healing/missiles makes you really feel it when you find a place where you can save your game and refill all your ammo and healing

There are a few places so far where it's like "oh OK I guess I'm going to have to actually move through this part super fast and coordinated like in the trailers" if you want to get by without getting hit, and when you do it you feel like a magician

Had three levels worth of salt saved up that time, did not want to die, so I just spent fifteen minutes pushing forward through new territory with the precision of a surgeon and finding that save point was the biggest relief I've felt in a game in a while

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    apparently people are finding evidence in the code of future planned SNES titles for the switch online service:
    Maz- wrote: »
    Someone discovered evidence of 22 SNES games in the code for Nintendo Switch Online

Super Mario Kart

Super Soccer

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Demon's Crest

Yoshi's Island

Stunt Race FX

Kirby's Dream Course

Pop'n Twinbee

Star Fox

Contra 3

Kirby Super Star

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Kirby's Dream Land 3

Super Metroid

Super Mario World

Pilotwings

F-ZERO

Star Fox 2

Super Punch-Out!!

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Super Mario All-Stars

Breath of Fire 2

And possibly more consoles being added in the future:

NES games are... great and all... but yes please give me those SNES games

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    no E.V.O.: Search For Eden no sale!

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    That's a good list.

I could use some more JPRG's but it's still good.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    An awful lot of that list is taken from the SNES classic.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Cool now I can pay a small fee to rent even more games I've already purchased 3x over!

Sorry, the online subscription brings out the worst in me

This discussion has been closed.