As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    So Trump sees peoples pain as leverage. Fuck you you god damn monster.

So do somewhere between a third and half of Americans, too. Something to remember.

I’m not entirely sure how you meant this, but that fact doesn’t really lead me closer to sympathy and kindness or a desire to compromise with those people.

Sometimes I just like to note that Trump is a symptom, not a problem. A huge portion of Americans...humans, really...are monsters. Look to the person on your left, then right, at least one of those people agrees with this. Not literally, since we're geographically segregated, but still.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I heard (but was not able to find verification) that people are dropping trash off in front of the White House. The closest I got was seeing photos via MSNBC news (via Seth Meyers clip) of trash cans with the White House in view overflowing with garbage, and more garbage just piled around the bottom of the cans - bagged or otherwise.

I mean, Trump called the White House a 'dump' before so it may as well be at this point?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of, I heard (but was not able to find verification) that people are dropping trash off in front of the White House. The closest I got was seeing photos via MSNBC news (via Seth Meyers clip) of trash cans with the White House in view overflowing with garbage, and more garbage just piled around the bottom of the cans - bagged or otherwise.

I mean, Trump called the White House a 'dump' before so it may as well be at this point?

As an aside, leaving strange unmarked containers next to the white house seems like a way to get yourself in trouble... but maybe you're into that I'm not your dad

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    In the vein of people pressuring Dems to capitulate even though they know it's Trump's fault:

Of course Cher's hot take doesn't matter at all but people capable of empathy will share the sentiment (...pun not originally intended, but now very much intended).

I think there will definitely be an increasing number of voices on the left who want Democrats to cave since caving is the most immediate path to end real, present hardships for a lot of people.

But I hold out hope that the most of the party understands this is also a broader referendum on their ability to stand up to Trump for the first time in 2 years. If the first action of the Democratic House is to give Trump whatever he's throwing a temper tantrum over, it's not looking good. Who cares that the Dems have control of the House if Trump can shut down the government to make them do literally whatever he wants?

Taximes on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah that cher tweet is irresponsibly bad. Like they are suffering Cher yes, but if we let this man get his way this will be the start of more suffering not the end of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

As an aside, leaving strange unmarked containers next to the white house seems like a way to get yourself in trouble... but maybe you're into that I'm not your dad
    Well it's clearly garbage, like fast food bags and stuff, and it's the cans they have along the walkway meant for garbage.

But there's no groundskeepers. So it's actually just a garbage dump. I'm not saying DO this stuff, I'm saying... that's what happens when you don't clean out your garbage.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The thing a bunch of people seem to forget is that given the choice the other side would rather just not have a federal government. For them having all the employees quit and find private sector jobs leaving all governmental departments crippled is a net good. It is in fact a desirable outcome. It's why they have no problem taking the hostage, because not only do they not mind shooting the hostage, they really want to shoot the hostage.

This is from a bit back but the thread moves fast and it puts into words my growing terror over this whole situation. It's entirely possible there are enough people on the right who don't ever want to reopen the government that it just... doesn't.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Well it's clearly garbage, like fast food bags and stuff, and it's the cans they have along the walkway meant for garbage.

But there's no groundskeepers. So it's actually just a garbage dump. I'm not saying DO this stuff, I'm saying... that's what happens when you don't clean out your garbage.

No amount of trash in front of the white house equals the people inside of it right now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

So do somewhere between a third and half of Americans, too. Something to remember.

I’m not entirely sure how you meant this, but that fact doesn’t really lead me closer to sympathy and kindness or a desire to compromise with those people.

Sometimes I just like to note that Trump is a symptom, not a problem. A huge portion of Americans...humans, really...are monsters. Look to the person on your left, then right, at least one of those people agrees with this. Not literally, since we're geographically segregated, but still.

I hear it’s one in ten.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

I hear it’s one in ten.

That quote is a few years old now.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The thing a bunch of people seem to forget is that given the choice the other side would rather just not have a federal government. For them having all the employees quit and find private sector jobs leaving all governmental departments crippled is a net good. It is in fact a desirable outcome. It's why they have no problem taking the hostage, because not only do they not mind shooting the hostage, they really want to shoot the hostage.

This is from a bit back but the thread moves fast and it puts into words my growing terror over this whole situation. It's entirely possible there are enough people on the right who don't ever want to reopen the government that it just... doesn't.

ICE isn't getting paid. They lose their racism fest if they do that.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

ICE isn't getting paid. They lose their racism fest if they do that.

We've already seen in the last few years there are plenty of amateurs willing to fill in that gap.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Artereis wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

I hear it’s one in ten.

That quote is a few years old now.

Oh monster inflation. I always forget about that.

Viskod on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I'm heartened that Pelosi has already held the gavel once, came into it in the term of a radioactive Republican and lost it not four years later.

She already tried to work with these people once back when it was a more reasonable cohort.

She should know the game by now.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    RedTide wrote: »
    I'm heartened that Pelosi has already held the gavel once, came into it in the term of a radioactive Republican and lost it not four years later.

She already tried to work with these people once back when it was a more reasonable cohort.

She lost the gavel because we elected a black president and white people went nuts. (Also she forced members into a progressive vote on climate that backfired politically and got nowhere because of the Senate, but shhhhh)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm kinda worried here, because I don't see a viable exit anymore. Mitch McConnell will not cave, because he's scared of being primaried. Trump will not cave, because he doesn't care about anything but winning his toy.

Dems shouldn't cave, because it just means this will keep happening every time Trump wants something, but this puts them in the position of being the guy in the action movie whose wife is being tortured until he gives up the launch codes that let the terrorists nuke the eastern seaboard, and that guy always frickin caves.

Trump caves while claiming a victory is still the most obvious way this ends. Trump declares something or other that lets him build the wall despite the Democrats and with blackjack and hookers and then the whole thing collapses. Trump's wall almost certainly goes nowhere despite this but it lets him save face.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

She lost the gavel because we elected a black president and white people went nuts. (Also she forced members into a progressive vote on climate that backfired politically and got nowhere because of the Senate, but shhhhh)

Public perception of the ACA and no one sticking around to defend it was the coffin nail to "Black President Backlash" in 2010.

I'm moreso pointing out that she experienced firsthand that they will always pull back the football and the only winning move is to not (sincerely) play the old game

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm kinda worried here, because I don't see a viable exit anymore. Mitch McConnell will not cave, because he's scared of being primaried. Trump will not cave, because he doesn't care about anything but winning his toy.

Dems shouldn't cave, because it just means this will keep happening every time Trump wants something, but this puts them in the position of being the guy in the action movie whose wife is being tortured until he gives up the launch codes that let the terrorists nuke the eastern seaboard, and that guy always frickin caves.

Trump caves while claiming a victory is still the most obvious way this ends. Trump declares something or other that lets him build the wall despite the Democrats and with blackjack and hookers and then the whole thing collapses. Trump's wall almost certainly goes nowhere despite this but it lets him save face.

Except what motivation does Trump have to cave? He only cares about his base, and his base will ride this bomb straight to armageddon.

I do wonder what would happen if we traded wall funding for a version of that no-shutdowns bill Murkowski et al introduced, minus the 1% decreases. Basically trading the wall in exchange for this never being able to happen again.

This shutdown fundamentally can't continue indefinitely without breaking the country, and the Dems are the only ones for whom that isn't a plus. And if the biggest problem with negotiating is that we normalize shutdowns, then making future shutdowns impossible would help.

There's still the issue of the wall being a giant racist fuck you to non-whites, of course.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    The automatic decreasing budget is a non-starter. In fact the budget would have to be written into law to automatically increase with inflation for a bill like that to be acceptable.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    The automatic decreasing budget is a non-starter. In fact the budget would have to be written into law to automatically increase with inflation for a bill like that to be acceptable.

Yup. I'd also want the Murkoski bill to get rid of the fucking debt ceiling as a bargaining chip too. If they're going to make it so that the government can't self-immolate, that's arguably the FIRST point if you're wanting to neuter Republican fuckery of the government, the current issue being a close second.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Except what motivation does Trump have to cave? He only cares about his base, and his base will ride this bomb straight to armageddon.

Boredom?

Only slightly joking here. He has an attention span that makes goldfish seem singularly driven. I think it's much more likely that he gets fed up with not getting what he wants and take the emergency route than any other scenario that does not involve an actual national emergency.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »

I wouldn't say non-starter. It's a very GOP-ass start. Probably won't pass the Senate as-is, and would be way different before it passed the House...

...but that's how laws are supposed to work

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I do wonder what would happen if we traded wall funding for a version of that no-shutdowns bill Murkowski et al introduced, minus the 1% decreases. Basically trading the wall in exchange for this never being able to happen again.

This shutdown fundamentally can't continue indefinitely without breaking the country, and the Dems are the only ones for whom that isn't a plus. And if the biggest problem with negotiating is that we normalize shutdowns, then making future shutdowns impossible would help.

There's still the issue of the wall being a giant racist fuck you to non-whites, of course.

Bad coverage. Bad press. People telling him this is going badly for him. He's already looking for a way out. Look at his address this week, which only exists because he cares about the narrative. Look at his reaction to it going over badly. He just needs an ending to this that doesn't involve him admitting he lost.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2019
    If the democrats cave then we are turbofucked. It tells Trump that he can literally hold the nation hostage for whatever fool idea slithers into the folds of his greasy brain, and also is a massive display of weakness on behalf of Pelosi and the new House Dems.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea he could definitely spin it as being magnanimous towards the democrats and show that the republicans are willing to reach across the isle and get the government going, and that he has faith in his repub compatriots to get him the wall, so when it fails it's on them and not him. Ride that high horse. The base would buy it and everyone else would roll their eyes but the government would at least be running.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

This is the hill we have to die on because if we don't America dies anyway.

I know that sounds melodramatic, but giving into the wall would be the end of democracy in America, which we are dangerously close to anyway.

The bill recently proposed by that group of Republicans to make us "shutdown proof" is just another example of Republicans trying to ensure their own control of the US. Maybe it's theoretically possible to design and enact a law that will make us shutdown proof and is actually not just another veiled attempt at wresting and maintaining control of our country, but since this is the battle we're presented with, this is the battle we have to fight, and it's the fight we have to win.

If we can't win this, we really should just give up because we'll never win again. Maybe we can't. Maybe you're right. Maybe Trump will never give in and we hit 25, 30, 40, 60, 120, or maybe years of the country being shut down. But I highly, highly doubt that is anywhere near likelier to happen than Trump giving up at some point.

This is not doomsaying - I think this would be the practical, mathematical result of capitulating and agreeing to the wall in any circumstance.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Giving in to Trump would be giving up on any semblance of congress being its own branch of government and allow ourselves to fall prey to the infuriatingly ignorant and insipid takes of our garbage fire fucking pathetic piece of shit abhorrent news media.

The Speaker of the House has informed the President he does not have the votes for a wall. A wall being the only non-negotiable point. This should be the end of that. He doesn’t get a wall. The End.

We can’t allow a scenario where after the voters give the House of Representatives to the other party by a historic margin and the President does not have the votes for something he gets to stomp his feet, whine, fuss, and get it anyway by using peoples livelihood as leverage. Or just making up a fake national emergency to steal funding and do whatever he wants Congress be damned.

Especially with this oedious mongrel of a President.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, yeah, y'all are right.

It's just so goddamn frustrating trying to work with (or around) someone who has this particular combination of power and such a completely alien set of priorities and values.

I think this is the first time it's really hit me how much he just doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't him. Like, there's the grifting and the lying and the virulent racism and Muslim bans and light treason and whatnot. And then there's the willingness to burn an entire nation to the ground if he doesn't get something that he doesn't even care about, except in the abstract sense that it is something he demanded and thus should get.

And our great source of hope isn't that he can be reasoned with, or even properly defeated, but rather that he either gets bored, or else gets his feelings sufficiently hurt by the big strong Fox TV men.

Just.

Fuck this so much.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    McConnell went home so the earliest possible this can end now is sometime Monday aftetnoon, or more likely Tuesday. I don't see why it'd end then, but it's sad to think it's guaranteed another 4 days basically

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

It's just so goddamn frustrating trying to work with (or around) someone who has this particular combination of power and such a completely alien set of priorities and values.

I think this is the first time it's really hit me how much he just doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't him. Like, there's the grifting and the lying and the virulent racism and Muslim bans and light treason and whatnot. And then there's the willingness to burn an entire nation to the ground if he doesn't get something that he doesn't even care about, except in the abstract sense that it is something he demanded and thus should get.

And our great source of hope isn't that he can be reasoned with, or even properly defeated, but rather that he either gets bored, or else gets his feelings sufficiently hurt by the big strong Fox TV men.

Just.

Fuck this so much.

That's not even the worst part of it for me. Like, yeah, Trump is a morally bankrupt craven asshole who only cares about himself. But there's an entire party with millions of people who support him and are doing everything in their power to make sure he can keep being a morally bankrupt craven asshole in charge of everything. It's just incredibly depressing to think that that's who a large percentage of my fellow citizens are.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

Just.

Fuck this so much.

That's not even the worst part of it for me. Like, yeah, Trump is a morally bankrupt craven asshole who only cares about himself. But there's an entire party with millions of people who support him and are doing everything in their power to make sure he can keep being a morally bankrupt craven asshole in charge of everything. It's just incredibly depressing to think that that's who a large percentage of my fellow citizens are.

I hold out hope that, if people see they've been lied to their whole lives, then they can change their perspective. Not everyone will, sure, but maybe enough to matter.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    McConnell went home so the earliest possible this can end now is sometime Monday aftetnoon, or more likely Tuesday. I don't see why it'd end then, but it's sad to think it's guaranteed another 4 days basically

People should be screaming louder about this. Dude and his cowardice is the primary reason this is even an issue.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

People should be screaming louder about this. Dude and his cowardice is the primary reason this is even an issue.

He turtled into his shell and people forgot he exists.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

If there were 99 Senators present, and no Mitch*, could they pass it?

*Maybe he can’t leave Kentucky due to all the airports being closed...

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Only issue is, much like the president, he has no shame.
    As McConnell’s former chief of staff, Josh Holmes, noted on Twitter, the majority leader isn’t easily swayed by outside pressure.

“Libs aren’t taking my advice but the ‘pressure McConnell’ strategy on the shutdown is hilarious to me,” Holmes tweeted. “Perhaps there is a politician who gives fewer fs about pressure press coverage, but in 20 years I haven’t met him/her yet.”

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    His position depends on him not budging, not being in the news, and not being blamed for all of the harm coming to his constituents.

The sage advice "actually, he's so tough and cool no one could possibly make him care about this" is probably not accurate.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, remember how it was a national crises when someone had the audacity to speak to him in public?

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    If McConnell is too shameless to pressure into putting it up to a vote, then pressure all the other Republican senators to replace him as Majority Leader.

They won't do it, but they absolutely should.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Favreau responded to that quote with the point that pressure finally got him to bring the criminal justice reform bill up after years of resisting. So he's not totally immune.

The other option is that eventually you have to impeach the motherfucker.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

This shutdown is going through the state of the union at least and the White House is planning on it lasting all of next month.

This discussion has been closed.