As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Teferi is very powerful and lets you card draw and mill, but he is the main reason white is in the deck at all. Mono blue might work better if we switch to Tezeret definitely. But tezzeret is also 5 mana and doesn't get the benefit of removal+untapping lands to hold up countermagic.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Do not play any 2 drop permanents besides persistent petitioners if that's your game plan. While they might both mill, they are actively anti-synergistic with each other. Any situation in which you draw that wall, you would either rather draw another petitioners or are already winning with 4 petitioners and would rather draw protection.

So instead, you're thinking something more like

22x Lands

4x Teferi (Maybe swap one out for a Patient Rebuilding? Or turn them into petitioners?)
    18x Persistent Petitioners (Plus or minus some for more removal/counters? Want them for good blockers and the mill threat.)

4x Settle the Wreckage/More counterspells?
    4x Sinister Sabotage
    4x Thought Collapse
    4x Ixalan's Binding/Blink of an eye?

Just brainstorming here

You're still way too low on the persistent petitioner count. Any deck on that plan probably wants to run 26 petitioners (80% chance of T4 having 4 m and combinations of negate, spell pierce, dive down, and mass indestructibility to protect them. It's mill tempo, not mill control.

I could be wrong, and maybe there is a shell for it that cares more about control and uses them as a wincon, but a deck that can establish a control lock is probably better served by enchantments that don't require additional protection

I ate an engineer
    edited January 2019
    Like, my prototype deck is pretty simple:

12-14 islands
    4x UW shocks
    2-4X UW checks (20 lands total)

24 Persistent Petitioners
    3-4x Spell Pierce
    1-2x Negate
    1-2x Quench
    0-1x Essence Scatter
    0-1x Syncopate
    0-1x Blink of an Eye
    2-3x Siren Stormtamer
    2-3x Dive Down
    2x Unbreakable Formation
    0-2x Opts, very speculatively.

Your whole goal is just "hit 4 petitioners, stop anything that would keep you from having 4 petitioners next turn." If you have petitioners in hand and 4 on board, let single target removal resolve. Only counter creatures that generate persistent value or aren't blockable by an advisor.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Temur midrange looks kinda spicy...

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Temur midrange looks kinda spicy...

GRUUL ADD STRONG FLAVOR. WEAK FLAVOR DECKS FOR PUNY NOT GRUUL RUNNING "TRY-AGAIN-BAL" OR "BIG RED FLOP" OR "BORE-ZHOV", while the simic aspect adds a delightful fusion twist to the whole dish and gives it tricks to disorient and dismantle lesser midrange decks

I ate an engineer
    Well an interesting thing is Zegana being a good rate and giving a lot of riot creatures trample if they have counters on them, and there are good ramping options as well. it can be an aggro/spell pierce deck

• BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    A tale in two cards
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=366456&type=carden_cIVKVpHXAz.png

edited January 2019
    Also, there's theoretically a Bant Big Butts deck (or less speculatively, a Selesnya one) in the format too. Druid into Ajani is a solid line, and then you have big mana for Hydroid Krasis or March of the Multitudes, along with Carnage Tyrant or some fat angels.

Really, blue there is just for growth spiral and Krasis, but I want Krasis to be a real card, dammit!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Aw hell I'm definitely going to have to make that defender beatdown deck.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Well I just pulled off a burglar rat, Atzal cave of eternity, Izoni thousand eyes combo.

Put a stop at the beginning of each of their turns, sacrifice the rat, return it with the cave, they discard the card they just drew.

I need to take a shower now.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Thrull! and he's so cute!
    debtorstransport.jpg

This is gonna blow out many limited games
    appliedbiomancy.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Oh also.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=366433&type=card
    how did no one mention the glorious return of fblthp
    en_gIv6xSmPPF.png
    He's been working out.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Oh also.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=366433&type=card
    how did no one mention the glorious return of fblthp
    en_gIv6xSmPPF.png
    He's been working out.

I thought Humongulus was searching for Fblthp in that card. like maybe Humongulus' character is Fblthp's big sibling?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Thrull! and he's so cute!
    debtorstransport.jpg

Some of the Orzhov cards are incredibly creepy flavor wise in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

I mean it's the church of capitalism it's gonna be gross by nature

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Some of the Orzhov cards are incredibly creepy flavor wise in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

Should we tell you what Thrulls are? Other than doughy, pasty and kinda gross.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited January 2019
    Kay wrote: »

Should we tell you what Thrulls are? Other than doughy, pasty and kinda gross.

i assume they're debtors, right?

EDIT: That's what i assumed since the Orzhov are said to engage in slave trade with both living and dead subjects, which is incredibly gross to me.

21stCentury on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Thrulls are old-school creature types... I admit, I never really figured out what they were, other than body-horrible black minion creatures with a penchant for getting sacrificed

40c.jpg?151781303144.jpg?1517813031109.jpg?151781303135.jpg?1517813031

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    As I recall, Thrulls at some point in lore were the cast off remnants of soul and body for ascendant Obzedat members, but a lot of cards seem to contradict that or be a bit ambiguous about it?

Am I hallucinating

edit: Maybe this was a dream I had

Tumin on
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Thrulls are old-school creature types... I admit, I never really figured out what they were, other than body-horrible black minion creatures with a penchant for getting sacrificed

40c.jpg?151781303144.jpg?1517813031109.jpg?151781303135.jpg?1517813031

They're just reanimated flesh. Like homunculi made from human remains or fleshgolems.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ah no, it was this card.

146.jpg

Tumin on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Magic Pro League member Rei Sato was disqualified from Grand Prix Prague for beginning to declare attackers, realizing he didn't play his land of the turn first (he needed the land for combat tricks to work out), dropping the land into play and then continuing to declare attackers without explaining to his opponent what was happening or asking permission to roll back to his main phase.

The article states that Rei was aware he was breaking the rules and that was the ultimate grounds for disqualification.

Don't cheat and always communicate with your opponents, folks!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppra19/statement-regarding-rei-sato-disqualification-2019-01-12

jgeis on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I have 3 of 4 of those cards in front of me as I type. Was motivated to finally dig out the old collection.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I'm cleaning out my closets and I found three sealed theme decks at the bottom of a box of random junk. I don't think they're worth anything, they're Breakdown from Nemesis, Distress from Prophecy, and Barrage from Planeshift, but it's still pretty neat to find them!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    They probably have value just because they're fuckin old.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    They probably have value just because they're fuckin old.

Nah these ones are pretty junky (which is honestly probably why they survived for so long) but there's some neat stuff in them. Avatar of Woe, Fires of Yavimaya, Flametongue Kavus, a playset of Accumulated Knowledge.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'm not saying Grixis can't BE a thing now, i am saying it is absolutely not a part of the current standard meta pre-allegiance

runs huffing into the room

it's important to note that there's a specific amount of editing choices made by mtggoldfish in terms of how much they call something "part of the meta"

in the last month for example, grixis has done exactly as well as mono-black niv mizzet, which i think we can all agree is a deck best described as "well you sure did shark an mtgo league"

liEt3nH.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    chromatic black is a deck that is absolutely worth playing just to see which cards your opponent will highlight and for how long as they try and figure out what in the fuck you're doing

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ah yes the 10 minutes of evil chuckling and self harm before windmill slamming Laboratory Maniac ploy. The best kind of metagaming.

God I loved playing that card against people who didn't know it existed back when. Didn't even matter if I won really, it was just fun every time.
    And then the back up wincon Psychic Spiral came out. :P

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I love golgari so much.

edited January 2019
    The two times I played against Chromatic Black, I was on Jeskai control and it went the exact same way:
    • "This Golgari player probably got a bad draw. Two swamps, yeesh."
    • "Oh, T3 lantern. Chromatic Black! They win with Niv Mizzet." *negate*
    • T4 lantern, second Negate.
    • "Welp, time to slam teferi and win."
    • *Eldest Reborn kills Teferi*.
    • *topdecked Ixalan's Binding on Eldest Reborn saves me from myself*

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    edited January 2019
    I love Chromatic Black, although Milski's version of events has happened to me way too much. I definitely think I agree with the consensus here(?) that it's not as good a deck as Ali Eldrazi thinks it is....but it is fun. I don't lose every time to Jeskai (Vraska Contempt / Eldest Reborn the shit out of Teferi), but it's definitely an uphill battle if they understand what you're trying to do.

That being said, recently Zacama and Joss Vess have been saving me more than Niv Mizzet. Zacama just going to town and wrecking every minion or artifact/enchantment fueled by Cabal Stronghold is a ton of fun.

I treat it as a fun deck, though, so I threw in a Mnemonic Betrayal as well that allowed me to beat a Dimir Control deck. Cabal Stronghold = all the mana to cast their crap.

Bizazedo on
    edited January 2019
    I guess an unofficial format called "Middle School Magic" has been catching on in the Midwest? My old playgroup in Mishawaka has been playing it a ton, and it's supported by the group that runs the annual '93/'94 old school tournament at Eternal Weekend.

The main points are:

- Sets from 4th Edition/Ice Age through Scourge are legal.
    - There's a banned list with the usual suspects on it.
    - Mana burn exists, damage uses the stack, and the Wishes allow you to get a card from exile (the rules that applied when these sets were new)
    - Any printing of a card from those sets is legal for play, even otherwise non-tournament legal versions like Collectors Edition and the World Championship decks, so long as they're sleeved, in order to reduce cost of entry

I am super interested in playing this format and I gotta get it to catch on here in Los Angeles.

jgeis on
    When I was in Middle School the newset set was Alliances.

Fuck, I'm old.

edited January 2019
    Onslaught block was the new stuff when I started playing Magic in middle school.

First booster pack was Prophecy, pretty sure it came as a pack-in with Topdeck magazine. I distinctly remember getting a foil Rhystic Study in that pack which ended up getting lost somewhere along the way.

Which sucks, because that's a $100 foil common.

jgeis on
    jgeis wrote: »

Speaking of, what's the "safest" way to offload old cards? Going to try and find some time for someone to help me find my old dual lands.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Speaking of, what's the "safest" way to offload old cards? Going to try and find some time for someone to help me find my old dual lands.

Honestly I think the safest way is either eBay or finding a reputable local card store. You'll pay fees on eBay but you should get market price for the cards, and you'll have eBay and PayPal protections (so long as you take precautions like shipping with tracking or signature confirmation for very large sales). Selling in person gets rid of all the potential problems of getting ripped off, but you won't get as much money for your cards since they'll be using buylist prices.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Safest way is probably to sell to an LGS or a store like Channelfireball or StarcityGames. You'll get better value from selling through Ebay though.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Fuck, I'm old.

When I was in middle school this game didn't exist. And wouldn't for at least two more years.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Fuck, I'm old.

When I was in middle school this game didn't exist. And wouldn't for at least two more years.

Haha you're fuckin older than meeeeee

This discussion has been closed.