As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Luck manipulation for souls and final armor is hilarious.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Handheld-era Castlevanias have such great spritework.

That gets animation cancelled 10 times a second in this run.

• Options
    I love how TASbot got the Black Panther soul, which allows for extremely fast running, and never bothers to put it on, because it can do better.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not feeling this TASbot thing so far. Whenever they do custom ROM hacks I'm just like... lost. Like okay it zips fast but how is that special?

It's honestly not my favorite either, I like seeing humans run. But I'm glad a lot of people seem to really like it at least.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I helped with the surge to get the donation incentive for Vivi and Quina's wedding in FF9! We got it with minutes or less to spare after raising 40k, with at least 21k of that in an hour or so? The runners and couch are going to voice act the cutscene, lol

Rius on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I liked the Mario + Portal TAS, though.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I helped with the surge to get the donation incentive for Vivi and Quina's wedding in FF9! We got it with minutes or less to spare after raising 40k, with at least 21k of that in an hour or so? The runners and couch are going to voice act the cutscene, lol

glad those got met. anything that gets the crowd hyped and feeling more generous is a good thing. and it looks like they've met every incentive so far which is awesome. still a few left to go but feeling confident they'll hit those too.

also the total is currently sitting at just over $1,295,000, which is just $1M shy of last years total. seem to be pacing a bit quick than last year too and we're gearing up for the final 12 hours when things get really wild. was starting to think that $2.2M was gonna be the ceiling on what these events can raise* but starting to think there's still a bit of room for them to push even higher.

*not a criticism, any money raised is great and the GDQ events have shown just how staggeringly generous folks can be.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey folks, AGDQ 2019 is coming to a close. Don’t forget to get your donations in if you want the grand prize entry, and also to buy any AGDQ merch from Yetee or Fangamer since a lot of it is only on sale during the marathon. Also, start compiling recommendations for the OP.

Enjoy the remaining runs!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I don't get the appeal of these punishing indie bullet hell platformers. They're boring to watch.

Jump jump die restart.
    Jump die restart.
    Jump jump jump die restart.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Some people value precision.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Precision is awesome and all but the rate of restarts after minutes of investment is ridiculous.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Precision is awesome and all but the rate of restarts after minutes of investment is ridiculous.

Not everything hits for everyone

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    That's a terrible, terrible game for afternoon last day. really ground the momentum to a halt.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That run REALLY should have been in Awful Block, not one of the capstone runs for the entire event. What an embarrassment.

EDIT: To clarify, when your speedrun of a game requires the use of hacked saves to complete anywhere close to your estimate, is it really a speedrun at that point?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    I can sort of get games like Celeste, Super Meat Boy, The End Is Nigh, etc. because there's generally some feeling of flow, and there's enough interesting elements and production value to make watching them pleasing, even if I'm 100% certain I'd never enjoy playing the game.

But games like this are just overly tedious to watch. And, I don't equate precision with routinely dying and being 13 and a half minutes over estimate.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They jumped to the next segment ASAP, barely had a break time.

• Options
    The biggest difference is how the games telegraph the danger. It's not about dying in one hit, it's that there's lots of frame-perfect execution that isn't a speed run skip, it's that the game will just throw a "HAHA FUCK YOU" hazard in your way without it being telegraphed at all; so you only know to dodge it after having been fucked over by it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I was out grocery shopping, but the LTTP couch started making fun of the previous run within 30 seconds, so that really must have been a clusterfuck.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The only reason they completed it, enlightenedbum, was due to them having hacked saves that allowed them to skip entire sections of the game.

It was also revealed that they had an entire folder of these saves.

And even with these they still finished thirteen minutes over estimate.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I feel like every marathon they have one of these "I Wanna Be the Whatever" masocore platformer runs and they never go well.

• Options
    I was out grocery shopping, but the LTTP couch started making fun of the previous run within 30 seconds, so that really must have been a clusterfuck.

nah, was more a joke about going from a run where a high death count is expected to one where they want to avoid any deaths if they can.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    The only reason they completed it, enlightenedbum, was due to them having hacked saves that allowed them to skip entire sections of the game.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that (had AGDQ in another tab, waiting for the pain to be over).

That's just... wow.

• Options
    See, beating LTTP in 1h55m with one kit KO is exciting, dangerous. Not a bunch of haphazard spikes vomited on the screen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Watching people play this game with a sword from the start seems weird now.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »

Wow, I wasn't aware of that (had AGDQ in another tab, waiting for the pain to be over).

That's just... wow.

To make it even better, the runner complained, live, that he couldn't find the right hacked save from the folder to use. "why isn't this just at the top?"

Embarrassment.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    I feel like every marathon they have one of these "I Wanna Be the Whatever" masocore platformer runs and they never go well.

The i wanna be the boshy run a few years back was fine.

But sometimes they choose weirdly unsafe runs for marathons.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular

I've never seen this routing before.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    I was trying to put my finger on why this LTTP run seemed so weird, and this is it. I've been watching WAY too much randomizer apparently.

• Options
    Huh, even with torch glitch is master sword silverless without half magic or a bottle even possible?

• Options
    I liked playing IWBTG back in the day because it was, at the time, a unique thing to me. And I felt that the difficulty, while extreme, wasn’t bullshit; there was always a way to get through a challenge, even if on a first attempt it was obscured. I sort of feel like that game used unpredictable kills for comedy. The fruit suddenly falling up, or the last spike wall on the first screen behaving opposite to the other three sets the tone for the rest of the game. The first time I went into that one fan tunnel to hit a switch, only for Ryu to jump in out of nowhere with a Tatsumaki, I laughed out loud.

That’s certainly not a design philosophy that works all the time. I appreciate games like Celeste for always showing you what you’re dealing with, and not changing the rules for a laugh.

• Options
    That was worse than Blind's puns in the rando.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    I liked playing IWBTG back in the day because it was, at the time, a unique thing to me. And I felt that the difficulty, while extreme, wasn’t bullshit; there was always a way to get through a challenge, even if on a first attempt it was obscured. I sort of feel like that game used unpredictable kills for comedy. The fruit suddenly falling up, or the last spike wall on the first screen behaving opposite to the other three sets the tone for the rest of the game. The first time I went into that one fan tunnel to hit a switch, only for Ryu to jump in out of nowhere with a Tatsumaki, I laughed out loud.

That’s certainly not a design philosophy that works all the time. I appreciate games like Celeste for always showing you what you’re dealing with, and not changing the rules for a laugh.

IWBTG and Boshy are like Super Mario World or Celeste compared to the horrible fan game they played. It was a bunch of screens from other fan games clumped together.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The thing is, these games aren't for everyone but some people do appreciate them. It's one of those things you really shouldn't try to rationalize.

I found the run exciting. Not knowing if he was even going to succeed made it more interesting. And he did come pretty damn close to actually getting the boss for real.

I do agree though that is a rough thing to be doing for a speedrun though. It really... isn't a speedrun. The only speed aspect is that he can complete it at all in a reasonable time.

That game in particular though... is kind of a challenge from the masters of IWBTG to each other. Not really made for normal consumption I guess.

• Options
    It shouldn't be in this timeslot, though. Today is prime time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Man I really hope they make that Bloodborne run, but 110k is a lot halfway through the last day.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    That was a crazy LttP run and worth watching. "Anything kills you" makes for a great showcase of someone showing off complete mastery.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Man I really hope they make that Bloodborne run, but 110k is a lot halfway through the last day.

they made about $100K during the LttP run alone and things don't seem to be slowing down at this point.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

they made about $100K during the LttP run alone and things don't seem to be slowing down at this point.

They did like another 10k just during the interview.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

They did like another 10k just during the interview.

yeah the last 12 hours or so of these marathons is when donations get really crazy and we entered into that phase at the start of the LttP run. things had been pretty steady leading into that but we've seen a sharp and steady increase that will hopefully take us through till the end.