As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    It took me far too long to realize most of the race/classes in the show are puns backwords.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    I've gotten at least two people to watch Wakfu by showing them the opening fight. It's gonzo and butter smooth

So that's nice but the real deal maker is the follow up. Hey, so that time mage is called a Xelor

:: blank stare::

Hey yo, what's X E L O R backwards

Nobody can resist a good pun

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man I ain't been in this thread in a hot minute but I dropped in to say Wakfu is a colorful, french delight. It hits that weird Legend of Zelda-esque, whimsical adventure itch with some styling flash animation. Also the background art is wonderful.

Also, apparently the French can get away with some stuff in their cartoons.

Wakfu is very good yes.

What's the best way to watch that in the US nowadays? I never got around to the second season

Looks like the whole thing is on Netflix. Turns out that OP is still a banger in english.

Wakfu is rad

The 3rd season was a Netflix exclusive I think. And it has some great twists.

But yeah watch it with subtitles if you can. The character nicknames make more sense, like the shortening of Sadlygrove. Oh and Ruel's English vo is like a young man trying to sound like a 70yo muppet

The English voice cast does the best they can, but I prefer the French cast by a wide margin.

I think the opening song is better in English, though.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Speaking of which, is there any way to watch the last season of Ladybug in French? The English cast weirds me out

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I don't care for that old man's English voice actor in Wakfu. It sounds kind of weird to me.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    All of the English Wakfu VAs sound like they didn't really have good direction and could only do so many takes, leading to the performances being all over the goddamn place.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wakfus dub is done in like the fake country from Rocky and Bulwinkle. No 2 accents are the same and its obvious they learned English in college

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Like there's some anime where watching it with a dub isn't very distracting at all, and then others which are just so very culturally Japanese that the English just feels out of place

I haven't seen the Wakfu dub, but Wakfu is so very, very French...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Then you got Samurai Champloo where it’s a story about samurai that is interested in chanbara movie tropes and pieces of Japanese history and culture but the presentation and music is American hip-hop as fuck. Which do you choose?

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Then you got Samurai Champloo where it’s a story about samurai that is interested in chanbara movie tropes and pieces of Japanese history and culture but the presentation and music is American hip-hop as fuck. Which do you choose?

I'm normally a subs-whenever-I-can-get-it person, but the Samurai Champloo dub is super dope, and everybody involved should be proud.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Clearly buy two copies of the show, two players, two stereo systems, then synchronize play of both the sub and dub and slowly go insane

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So not everyone's name is like the dragon?

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Yeah, the old one? Grougaloragran?

I can't even start to think how to make mouth sounds for that and I've heard it spoken a ton

Dragon names in Wakfu are weird. There's another dragon called Shinonome, which is a straight Japanese pronunciation

Another weird one is the lil dragon brother Adamai (which is normal I guess) but compare that to the important NPC alchemist who created Ogrest called Ottomai. Like, I can hear the difference in French, but it sounds too damn similar when it comes out in English

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, remember John Lasseter joining Skydance to head up their new push into animation? Because of that, the head of Paramount animation just said they will no longer partner with Skydance.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, remember John Lasseter joining Skydance to head up their new push into animation? Because of that, the head of Paramount animation just said they will no longer partner with Skydance.

Good on Paramount.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Love the Bruce Timm artstyle for the new animated Justice League movie

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Not the biggest fan of this show, but love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlBKcpnB-wg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Not the biggest fan of this show, but love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlBKcpnB-wg

That needed to end... a lot sooner than it did...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Brad Bird talked about John Lasseter. It is a doozy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/brad-bird-talks-the-incredibles-2-superhero-sequel-fatigue-and-john-lasseters-redemption
    Last November, Kim Masters published an investigation at The Hollywood Reporter that revealed a pattern of alleged misconduct during his time at Disney/Pixar that included “grabbing, kissing, and making comments about physical attributes.” After directing and co-writing Toy Story, Lasseter rose through the ranks at Pixar and Disney, eventually executive producing five of the seven animated features that have grossed $1 billion at the box office, including The Incredibles 2. During that time, his behavior became well-known enough that, according to Variety, he “had minders who were tasked with reining in his impulses.”
    Bird has a hard time talking about the allegations against Lasseter. “These times are not good for nuance,” he says. “You’re either 100 percent for something or you’re 100 against something.”

He tells me a story about Lasseter coming to bat for him when Michael Eisner and Steve Jobs didn’t want to give a movie to the guy “who just did this flop The Iron Giant,” referring to Bird’s 1999 box-office misfire. They were told their script idea for The Incredibles was too much like Spy Kids—“which is beyond me”—and didn’t have enough fantasy elements, “like little blue fish or blue monsters.” Basically, they wanted Lasseter to direct another movie instead.

“John kind of flung his body between us and the executives and said I think these guys are onto something and let’s give them a little more time to develop it,” Bird says. “By the time we finished our story reels, that guy was gone and the reels spoke for themselves. He stuck his neck out in a way that few in Hollywood are willing to.”

“I don’t at all put John in a category with Weinstein,” he continues. “You’re navigating a world where men have acted a certain way for thousands of years. Way too late, but all of a sudden, they’re expected to change that on a dime and it’s necessary and it’s right. But it’s a little bit a gray area. It’s not as hard of a cut as people want to make it. I’m an old friend of John’s and I don’t see him in black and white. I see him as a person like anyone else. He was a person who was very protective of us at a time when we needed it. So my feelings are a little bit more complicated.”

I ask him, aside from the experience of making The Incredibles sequel 15 years after the original, what the experience of talking about it in a different era of media has been like, when he’s been asked about everything from the film’s gender politics to the Lasseter accusations to Tom Cruise’s ties to Scientology.

“Some ways it’s less difficult,” he says. “Some ways it’s more difficult.”

“It’s often like a pendulum,” he continues. “If people had been historically insensitive, the pendulum goes to hypersensitive. I understand where it came from and it’s fine. I just want to go to the other world where people don’t care about this kind of stuff so much. I just mean that once everybody has a fair shot, then it becomes about the work. That’s the place I want to get to. I don’t want people to be singled out because of whatever their particular slant is, or kept from opportunities because of it. I want a place where everybody gets to do everything and it’s now about the work.”

Lasseter personally did a nice thing for Brad Bird so maybe we should give him some slack for sex crimes? The EEOC said in 1980 that sexual harassment was unlawful sex discrimination. He had plenty of time.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Wow. Bird needs to get that rectocranial inversion looked at.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Same old apologetic bullshit we keep hearing from these groups of men.

• Options
    Bird's a great director but he's come across as being up his own butt in general for some time now.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The one hour special of the Steven Universe Diamond Days arc just finished. So good and well done. And whoa at the
    body horror of Steven getting his gem yanked. Whiplash from the that and the beautiful realization that Steven is truly himself, not Pink or Rose, after.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

That reminds me, when is the third season of Young Justice hitting the DC streaming service? I have no desire to subscribe to it, but will for YJ.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The one hour special of the Steven Universe Diamond Days arc just finished. So good and well done. And whoa at the
    body horror of Steven getting his gem yanked. Whiplash from the that and the beautiful realization that Steven is truly himself, not Pink or Rose, after.

Also, Steven Universe is getting a movie this fall.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/steven-universe/275083/steven-universe-the-movie-release-date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlmfPB20Ln4

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    LostNinja wrote: »

That reminds me, when is the third season of Young Justice hitting the DC streaming service? I have no desire to subscribe to it, but will for YJ.

It's already started. They're doing new episodes every Friday I believe.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

It's up to episode 9. They're releasing 3 episodes per week. They'll release 4 episodes this Friday. Then there will be a 4 or 5 month break until the second half of season 3.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Pretty break-neck pace on this finale, I feel like maybe some of these ideas could've used more time to explore. But overall yeah, a very nice ending with some beautiful moments. Can't imagine what the film will cover, but I guess it could just be a nice standalone story.
    Hope we get more Obsidian, that was hands down the coolest fusion. Also more of the de-corrupted gems, they were all darlings.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Pretty break-neck pace on this finale, I feel like maybe some of these ideas could've used more time to explore. But overall yeah, a very nice ending with some beautiful moments. Can't imagine what the film will cover, but I guess it could just be a nice standalone story.
    Hope we get more Obsidian, that was hands down the coolest fusion. Also more of the de-corrupted gems, they were all darlings.

I think the movie could go into some of the origins of the gems in general. Where did they come from, how did the diamonds come into power? Were the gems created by a precursor race? What happens if/when the precursor race comes back? How does Steven convince the precursor race that the gems are sentient individuals who, as a species, have grown far beyond what they were and deserve to be allowed to exist as more than the play things of the precursors?

I mean, that's one possibility that popped into my head for a potential movie. I doubt that's the way they'll go, but...

Aside from the origin of the gems, it seems like most of the other loose ends have been wrapped up pretty neatly.

It might be kind of cool to see what happens to the gem homeworld with the status quo upset. How do the rank and file gems react to the new attitudes of the Diamonds? How do the diamonds hold their society together while reworking the way the entire thing works? What about reintegrating the corrupted gems from Earth into their society? We saw with Jasper that they're still somewhat corrupted (she still had horns and discoloration) even if they're in control of themselves now. There could be a lot of deep seated issues with that, even if the Diamonds say they're cool now.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

I just started watching it.

Holy hell is it dark.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Turkson wrote: »

Holy hell is it dark.

Well of course it is.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Lord and Miller talk Lego Movie 2, and the implications of the end of the first movie:
    So, the first movie took place entirely in Finn's imagination. But this movie takes place in two imaginations that are clashing, which means some characters can change depending on whose imagination it is. Brace yourselves for serious meta.

Also, they confirmed that the Lego Batman Movie took place in Finn's imagination too.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Turkson wrote: »

Holy hell is it dark.

Well of course it is.
    Stop murdering Halo, please!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    More context at Lasseter working again:

Avi Lerner, the head of Millennium Films, the company that hired Lasseter, defended his decision to pay Brian Singer $10 million to direct Red Sonja after yet more accusations of Singer assaulting underage boys came to light thusly:
    “The over $800 million Bohemian Rhapsody has grossed, making it the highest grossing drama in film history, is testament to his remarkable vision and acumen. I know the difference between agenda driven fake news and reality, and I am very comfortable with this decision. In America people are innocent until proven otherwise.”

So yeah, Lasseter has free reign to be as gross as he wants to be.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh good I'll never watch any of his companies productions ever again

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Reviews for Lego Movie 2 are out. Most critics seem to really love it though there's a disagreement over whether it manages to match the first one or fall a little short.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Reviews for Lego Movie 2 are out. Most critics seem to really love it though there's a disagreement over whether it manages to match the first one or fall a little short.

I think the first one was better personally, but only by the narrowest of margins.

• Options
    Early How to Train Your Dragon 3 showings this Saturday, if that sounds interesting to anyone else.

https://screenrant.com/train-your-dragon-3-early-screenings-fandango/

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Young Justice's
    Teen Titans Go "crossover"
    was perfect.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm all caught up on Young Justice again. And Halo made it through 4 more episodes without dying!

oh h*ck
This discussion has been closed.