As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Thread Redemption

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kana wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Yeah, video game mechanics vs narrative clash sometimes.

Like, I ended up grabbing all the treasures early on (and by grab I mean look up online because I don't have time to scour the massive map for clues like I did when I played the first game) and now every time Dutch or Arthur or whoever are like "well we're gonna need more money!" I'm like I have 7000 dollars and literally nothing to spend it on let's move to California y'all.

I mean that's kind of exactly how the game designs you to feel though

It can be more or less extreme depending on how much money you end up with. If you do all the treasure hunting stuff right away as above, for instance, you're going to be ridiculously loaded to the point where "we just need some munneh" won't function right.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how I feel about player blips being hidden unless nearby. The way I avoid griefers is to look at the map. If some dude can be completely invisible until he shoots you at the butcher, that makes things even worse. I can't think of a single time anyone has charged straight across the map at me.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Online update today

Battle Royale mode “gun rush” getting added

More updates coming soon:

- wanted/bounty system
    - Random world events
    - New dress up/guns

WHERES THE DAMN POKER

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Online update today

- wanted/bounty system
    - Random world events
    - New dress up/guns

WHERES THE DAMN POKER

have you tried... in the rear

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Online update today

- wanted/bounty system
    - Random world events
    - New dress up/guns

WHERES THE DAMN POKER

Either coming in a gambling themed update somewhere down the road or not coming at all because they have to dance around actual gambling laws when it comes to stuff like that.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about player blips being hidden unless nearby. The way I avoid griefers is to look at the map. If some dude can be completely invisible until he shoots you at the butcher, that makes things even worse. I can't think of a single time anyone has charged straight across the map at me.

You'd see them before that, and they sound like they want to implement that with the "darker red dot implying someone is a murderer being seen further away" What this will do though is let you fish out in the wilds in peace without some salmonberry shit fuck knowing right where you are and taking a bee line.

I'd still like to see online missions have an option to assist someone instead of fucking with them, that's where real emergent gameplay would come from, bunch of players joining in on a long haul to valentine, bunch of rogues deciding to mess with that, fun times ahead!

Plus that way you could see "Oh I like that mission, I'll join up and help" more often.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Months of a beta

Hmm

Months of a beta isn't outlandish.

And its really just beta in name. Its more early access. On top of the fact the single player game was worth the list price so to me the multi was just a free add on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Online update today

- wanted/bounty system
    - Random world events
    - New dress up/guns

WHERES THE DAMN POKER

have you tried... in the rear

No the liquor is in the rear.

I guess it just seems shitty and half baked to me, and I don't get it

It's missing the features I want, the character creator sucks, the economy is a mess, etc

I really enjoy the main game, I can put blinders on for the problematic parts, which reeks of privilege, I know

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    It will be funny if they do a reset tho they might not not sure if you can spend money on it

icGJy2C.png
    Once the store opened, the (already low) chance of a reset dropped to 0. There is just no reason to do so and it would only hurt them.

I just like fishing and hunting online but I need 4 more levels just for the dumb rod

I got the white arabian in sp and wish I had sooner just cause its a pretty horse Im still in chspter 3 might just make some new threads then hammer to chapter 6

icGJy2C.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I need one more cougar pelt and moose antlers, then all of my camp upgrades are done.

I know I'll have the cougar tonight so long as at least a 2-star spawns, haven't seen a fucking moose in two weeks.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    The white buffalo hat/jacket paired with the white Arabian are delightful

mkc.png
    Ive found online the easiest way to hunt cause im bad is just lasso everything and stab it

icGJy2C.png
    And then the horse runs into it after you dismount and it's suddenly 1 star.

God damnit, horse.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I need one more cougar pelt and moose antlers, then all of my camp upgrades are done.

I know I'll have the cougar tonight so long as at least a 2-star spawns, haven't seen a fucking moose in two weeks.

I JUST saw my first male moose since the legendary moose last night! It only took me 4 weeks to find one.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    This game is fun but it's Grand Theft Horse and I dunno if I really want to play it for another 30-40 hrs

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I finished chapter 6 last night
    I was actually much closer to that ending than I thought. I stopped the night before to raid in Destiny 2, and the mission I stopped at was the last train heist lol. I liked it, and it’s kind of weird, because it almost felt like it was just making the end of RDR1 even better. Arthur is attempting to redeem himself by saving John’s family, and we know how that story goes.

One question I have is about Micah though, and I think it may be addressed in the epilogues but maybe not. So, Micah was the rat? But Milton says they picked him up AFTER the carribean, so wouldn’t that mean he wasn’t the rat for the bank job? And, if he was working with them after the carribean, why would he have convinced Dutch to kill Cornwall and do all the other extremely evil things he did after returning from the carribean? The end also felt a little odd, with Micah like begging Dutch to go with him, and Dutch just leaving. Why does Micah care if Dutch believes in him at that point? The gang is already over and the Pinkertons are like, swarming the mountain.

I did really like the Mexican standoff and, after Arthur calling out Micah, Dutch basically just saying “oh I don’t care about that I only care if you’re with me or against me,” and everyone but Arthur and John going with Dutch. Dutch is a very good character. It’s really hard for me to put my finger on, but there’s just this lingering... something... about Dutch that I don’t like though. They kept saying a lot about Dutch at the end there that he wasn’t following his teachings, and maybe this is who he always was (which I exactly said a few days ago!), but it’s very Tell, Don’t Show about the Dutch that Arthur believed in. I dunno, in spite of making the game even longer, I think it might have been better to start with the Blackwater job, rather than just the fallout.

Anyway, I’m probably going to take a break here, as it seems like a really good time to pause the story, before Jim Milton gets caught up in some bullshit

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I would have liked to let Arthur bag the legendary animals in Blackwater, if nothing else.

Zay, re: Micah
    He's the rat, but I think the timeline is wrong either due to a plothole or just Milton getting it wrong. The story only really makes sense if he was the rat all along.

Tube wrote: »
    Zay, re: Micah
    He's the rat, but I think the timeline is wrong either due to a plothole or just Milton getting it wrong. The story only really makes sense if he was the rat all along.
    Right, I think maybe there’s a way to interpret the line that makes it work. “We picked him up after the carribean,” just explaining how quickly they found the Lagras hideout, and not that’s when he actually started talking with them. It’s still a little confusing, though, because they also say that Milton is specifically investigating them on behalf of Cornwall, and the Cornwall train heist is after Blackwater. I suppose it’s possible Micah just defected in chapter 2, after also having a meeting with Milton outside of camp like Arthur has, and that makes enough sense for me. Micah’s Blackwater plan went south, so he thought his best option would be to team up with the Pinkertons, I suppose that works. It’s still weird though, that Micah and the Pinkertons wouldn’t have tried to come up with a plan to capture Dutch before the many awful things he does between chapters 3 through 6. The only real explanation I can think of there is that Micah is just playing both sides, but still wants Dutch’s approval.

Micah leaking Dutch’s plans while Dutch believes in him as his right hand man is also just about perfect for Dutch. Dutch believes he’s the ultimate con man, and superior to everyone else - but he’s being played the entire time. He’s so full of himself he can’t even recognize that he’s being used, because he thinks he is using the user. This happens multiple times throughout the game and I love that it’s actually happening with someone in camp too.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    My interpretation of Micah's actions
    He genuinely loves Dutch, that much is clear. It isn't faked. The reason he hates Arthuer so much (and sells Arthur out to The O' Driscolls) is because he's jealous of Arthur's place in Dutch's affections. I don't think it's a romantic love, for what it's worth, but it's there.

Micah thinks that he's going to get the better of everyone and escape into the sunset with Dutch, leaving the Pinkertons behind him. He believes that he's the consummate survivor so he tells everyone what they want to hear. Deal with the O' Driscolls? Sure. Deal with the Pinkertons? Sure. Whatever gets Micah what he wants. Micah isn't smart, but he's incredibly ruthless and has absolutely no scruples, which it turns out will get you pretty far if you're a good enough shot.

Mm, yeah, that makes sense

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My interpretation of Micah's actions
    He genuinely loves Dutch, that much is clear. It isn't faked. The reason he hates Arthuer so much (and sells Arthur out to The O' Driscolls) is because he's jealous of Arthur's place in Dutch's affections. I don't think it's a romantic love, for what it's worth, but it's there.

Micah thinks that he's going to get the better of everyone and escape into the sunset with Dutch, leaving the Pinkertons behind him. He believes that he's the consummate survivor so he tells everyone what they want to hear. Deal with the O' Driscolls? Sure. Deal with the Pinkertons? Sure. Whatever gets Micah what he wants. Micah isn't smart, but he's incredibly ruthless and has absolutely no scruples, which it turns out will get you pretty far if you're a good enough shot.
    Yeah, Micah was against having so many people in the gang from the beginning, he only wanted a few guns, and as soon as he gets into Dutch's ear it seems like his plan was to keep promising stuff to the gang, right up until they could cut them loose and leave with all the money. Then they could start again, leaner and meaner. And Micah really does seem drawn to Dutch's bullshit... Although what he likes isn't really Dutch's utopian visions, but instead the underlying anger at society and belief that they're entitled to do whatever they want. Like I think Micah sees through Dutch's BS, but unlike most of the other gang members, he likes that darker side of Dutch that he sees underneath.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    It's also possible Milton isnt telling the truth about the timing of things as a way to so as much discord as possible.

That might be a stretch to explain a mistake though, like the old Marvel No-prize

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    The biggest thing making me want to hurry through Chapter 6 is just so I can finally click through those damn spoiler tags. I must know everyone's thoughts!

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's also possible Milton isnt telling the truth about the timing of things as a way to so as much discord as possible.

That might be a stretch to explain a mistake though, like the old Marvel No-prize

I don't think it's really necessary to have a specific reason for
    the fuzz catching up to the gang. Like they've been running around committing big crimes and killing people and their hideout is only a bit away from town.

They even keep saying that their hideout will only be safe for a couple of days before someone finds them.

And then for the bank job they had multiple gang members casing the place multiple times, after they have a very public shootout across half the city.

If anything if the Pinkertons hadn't been ready to set up an ambush by that point, it would be more about their own incompetence than necessarily proof that there's a mole

Micah being the mole is I think just more of part of his end game, leaving everyone else to hold the bag while he and Dutch get out with the money

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    The quick draw mechanics in this are some hot bullshit

ok, i should have looked at the journal much more before

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Picked up the Incendiary Buckshot pamphlet online last night. Proceeded to spend the rest of my money on moonshine, then set a bandit leader on fire. 10/10 money well spent.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I love every time somebody stops me on horseback to rob, all "Ok everyone calm down."

*draws dual scholfields, hits red eye, clears the field, all headshots"

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Kana wrote: »

I don't think it's really necessary to have a specific reason for
    the fuzz catching up to the gang. Like they've been running around committing big crimes and killing people and their hideout is only a bit away from town.

They even keep saying that their hideout will only be safe for a couple of days before someone finds them.

And then for the bank job they had multiple gang members casing the place multiple times, after they have a very public shootout across half the city.

If anything if the Pinkertons hadn't been ready to set up an ambush by that point, it would be more about their own incompetence than necessarily proof that there's a mole

Micah being the mole is I think just more of part of his end game, leaving everyone else to hold the bag while he and Dutch get out with the money
    I think this is the case as well

It also doesn't help the gang that on nearly every job they pull, they repeatedly use their actual names instead of any sort of alias

The only time they come close is Dutch during the job on the station in Saint Denis, where he goes by Mister Given-Name-Initial.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That name shit is crazy, I can't recall exactly when it happened but I remember one mission having Arthur go "no real names, obviously, idiots" then that getting completely contradicted a few missions later when somebody is like "Thanks for helpin me do this crime we are currently engaged in my crime friend Arthur Morgan!" and Art don't mind none

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The first time I thought about it was a chapter 2 mission and dude is screaming Arthur’s name the whole dang time I’m like why am I even wearing this mask

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    It seems silly like plot wise, but its for gameplay is how I view it, npcs are basically going "Player pay attention" and companies can't assume people playing will remember alias's.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The game certainly treats you like a great big dumb full diaper baby more often than not

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor