As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thin shit is going to hit the fan once the planes stop flying. Because once the planes stop flying, most Senators go on red fucking alert because they need to fly back and forth from their states for their jobs. Once the government shutdown starts hitting where it hurts, the Senate is going to be a lot more motivated to re-open the government.

It wouldn't be the first time the Pubs chose not to take the path of least resistance because of Trump's obstinance.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    There is no way the country can survive having the government be shut down for 6 years, like 6 months would be pushing it

Hell, 6 weeks is gonna be rough.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Airports shutting down would be devastating to the economy.

steam_sig.png
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    There is no way the country can survive having the government be shut down for 6 years, like 6 months would be pushing it

The country not surviving the Trump presidency was always a possibility.

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I thin shit is going to hit the fan once the planes stop flying. Because once the planes stop flying, most Senators go on red fucking alert because they need to fly back and forth from their states for their jobs. Once the government shutdown starts hitting where it hurts, the Senate is going to be a lot more motivated to re-open the government.

It wouldn't be the first time the Pubs chose not to take the path of least resistance because of Trump's obstinance.

I really, really doubt that there's THAT many senators willing to take the bus (or something) to and from their states in an act of solidarity with the president and not at least get the planes flying again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

I really, really doubt that there's THAT many senators willing to take the bus (or something) to and from their states in an act of solidarity with the president and not at least get the planes flying again.

Google says it would take me 34 hours of driving to go from AZ to D.C. I am in my early 30s and saying fuck that, can't imagine a bunch of entitled old people twice my age wanting to do it. And if you get stuck in Hawaii or Alaska better hope boats and the Canadian border still work.

steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

I think we need to have a serious discussion about what our government is, and whether its survival is even a good thing it is current incarnation.

Again, I’m not doomsaying. America had been great before. That’s what pisses me off the most about the “Make America Great Again” slogan - because we were close to great. We were on track. We were so fucking close.

Okay maybe that is exceptionally optimistic. But we were at least on the right track. I honestly think that Trump becoming president is the worst thing that has ever happened to America. Ever.

America can definitely be great again, but only if we understand that the ideals that got us to the pre-Trump version of America needs to be resurrected and protected.

We need America 2.0.

At this point, I don’t know know that I care about the survival of America 1.0.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    We're already on America 2.0, and I'm not terribly optimistic that the massive stroke of luck we had when the Articles of Confederation needed to be replaced will be repeated.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So, how bad does it have to be that all the Dems and some Republicans would vote on a new majority leader?

Which republican would democrats support, at least enough to bring the pubs who want the government open along for the ride?

Because I feel like this seriously might be the only way out. Mitch has to go.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It is more likely that Trump is impeached and removed than a coup against McConnell.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    So, how bad does it have to be that all the Dems and some Republicans would vote on a new majority leader?

Which republican would democrats support, at least enough to bring the pubs who want the government open along for the ride?

The problem is you can't trust any of the Republicans, because they are all complicit in it getting this far already.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/trump-shutdown-confusion.html
    WASHINGTON — Officially, Republicans blame Democrats for what is now the longest government shutdown in the nation’s history. Privately, many concede, the stalemate over President Trump’s demand for a border wall has been made exponentially worse by White House ineptitude on Capitol Hill, where two years of contradictory statements and actions have built up a profound lack of trust.

Republican lawmakers and aides worry that Mr. Trump has misunderstood Democrats’ incentives to stand firm and that he has deputized the wrong aides to press his case. And they question who — if anyone other than the president — has the authority to resolve the impasse. They describe a dysfunctional dynamic where even senior leaders in Mr. Trump’s own party never know quite what to expect from the president.

You have the authority, you dumb mother fuckers. Pass a budget and make him veto it. Then override the veto. We have these checks and balances for just such an occasion.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    There’s a difference between the government operations and the branches of government

One of them absolutely is rotten and broken, the other is mostly good and fine

Captain Inertia on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

The problem is you can't trust any of the Republicans, because they are all complicit in it getting this far already.

The only Senator that might be close to trustworthy is...gulp...Mitt.

And now I need a shower.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Where the fuck is all their bluster and pride that they marshaled to hobble and hamstring Obama every damn step of his presidency? They liked to frame that as them checking the executive, which everyone knew was a lie, but god damn. The hypocritical bastards. Suddenly theres nothing they can do, you fucking broke the government when Obama was in there, now they are kings of caution and decorum. Theyre all leeches and cowards. You were voted in to represent the interests of your states and to act as a check, you maddening cretins

Prohass on
    Prohass wrote: »
    Where the fuck is all their bluster and pride that they marshaled to hobble and hamstring Obama every damn step of his presidency? They liked to frame that as them checking the executive, which everyone knew was a lie, but god damn. The hypocritical bastards. Suddenly theres nothing they can do, you fucking broke the government when Obama was in there, now they are kings of caution and decorum. Theyre all leeches and cowards. You were voted in to represent the interests of your states and to act as a check, you maddening cretins

They effectively have shown up for their job every day for the past 6 years and played on Facebook. They have no idea how to actually govern.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's perfectly consistent.
    They're still breaking the government.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

6?

The first month will seem free compared to the second. We'll still be at one missed check when we hit 30 days. Stretch it to Feb 22 and they'll have missed four. There's no way we get to six months intact.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The only Republican senators which seem to have somewhat independent bases seem to be Murkowski and Romney. They might be the only ones who could survive politically if they helped the Dems in a 'coup' of the Senate.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I had no idea how fragile our government was until trump, and even then, until this shutdown. It really does come down to senate republicans to keep this government functional , and because of them, the democracy has shown cracks. Shit is scary to think about. And even worse democrats can't compromise here.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Airports shutting down would be devastating to the economy.

It will not go much farther than Airports being shut down. That's the endgame pretty much. Not even the economics, senators from Iowa, Alaska, and Colorado do not want to take 24 hour car rides home.

Also, can we not use the word "coup" for a parliamentary process? Voting in a new Majority Leader is not a coup, and using that language does us no favors when talking here or to others.

Roz on
    RickRude wrote: »
    I had no idea how fragile our government was until trump, and even then, until this shutdown. It really does come down to senate republicans to keep this government functional , and because of them, the democracy has shown cracks. Shit is scary to think about. And even worse democrats can't compromise here.

I've known how fragile our government ever since the Republicans won the Senate in 2012 and stopped passing any laws.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I can only imagine what the founding fathers would say about the current state of affairs (once they got past the technology, civil rights and womens suffrage of course) about the current situation and how one party was basically going through with what amounted to a suicide pact with the well being of the nation over a fucking wall that won't put a dent in illegal immigration.

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    This is the same story republicans in congress (and conservatives in general) have pulled since at least 2008: "It's terrible whats happening, I do not agree with it at all, no siree, I just wont do anything to stop it."

How long will the nation pretend it is anything other the spineless version of "I fully support what is going on"?

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I think we need to have a serious discussion about what our government is, and whether its survival is even a good thing it is current incarnation.

Again, I’m not doomsaying. America had been great before. That’s what pisses me off the most about the “Make America Great Again” slogan - because we were close to great. We were on track. We were so fucking close.

Okay maybe that is exceptionally optimistic. But we were at least on the right track. I honestly think that Trump becoming president is the worst thing that has ever happened to America. Ever.

America can definitely be great again, but only if we understand that the ideals that got us to the pre-Trump version of America needs to be resurrected and protected.

We need America 2.0.

The problem is not the system. The problem is the people.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

We need America 2.0.

I mean, the problem is also the system, but mostly because of the people.

Fencingsax wrote: »

We need America 2.0.

There is no system of government that will survive being intentionally broken and/or ignored by the ruling body.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

We need America 2.0.

There is no system of government that will survive being intentionally broken and/or ignored by the ruling body.

I'm just saying that the white supremacy is not exactly a bug.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

We need America 2.0.

The level of partisanship that enables this ruling body to intentionally break this system was arrived at by the incentives built into this system though.
    Short of some actual existential threat to the populace, I doubt Trump could have made it through, say, Aus's system.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm listening to CNN right now and they just the administration is preparing for the shutdown to last through February.

There's no way this lasts through February right? Right!?!

I'm listening to CNN right now and they just the administration is preparing for the shutdown to last through February.

It could last for six more years.

edited January 2019
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/americans-blame-trump-and-gop-much-more-than-democrats-for-shutdown-post-abc-poll-finds/2019/01/12/9c89aff2-16a9-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?utm_term=.266f530192ab

Who do people blame for the shutdown? Based on an ABC poll (They didn't ask people if they blamed both, but recorded it if they vollenteered that answer.)

(Numbers transcribed for those without accounts, and I couldn't figure out how to save the image off their website.)

Democrats: 85% Blame Trump/GOP, 6% Blame Democrats, 5% Blame both
    Republicans: 15% Blame Trump/GOP, 68% Blame Democrats, 15% Blame Both
    Independants: 53% Blame Trump/GOP, 23% Blame Democrats, 17% Blame Both
    Overall: 53% Blame Trump/GOP, 29% Blame Democrats, 13% Blame Both

It's pretty bad when Republicans blame their own party more than Democrats blame theirs.

Blame.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Blame doesn't seem like a word anymore.

Blame. blame

Blaaaaaa.

Meeeee

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hirocon wrote: »

We would stop having a country well before we hit six years.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Yeah, people need to quit saying that. People aren't going to work at their jobs for 6 years with no pay: eventually the entire thing would just collapse. Even if we did somehow make it to next October, the second half of the Government runs out of funding then and shit would hit absolutely hit the fan then, if it hadn't already.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Hirocon wrote: »

We would stop having a country well before we hit six years.

Yeah, if the fed is shut down that long the states will start having to pick up the slack.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    oh but don't worry because these nice republican legislators just happen to have friends in various industries who can step in and magnanimously alleviate some of the government's terrible burden, and all for only a fraction of the total cost!

hide and watch, there's a big privatization push coming behind this.

Enc wrote: »
    Yeah, if the fed is shut down that long the states will start having to pick up the slack.

Hey, why don't we actually do this? Could a state pass a law saying, we'll pay federal employees that currently aren't getting paid because of the shutdown, with the caveat that the money has to be returned to the state if an when the government finally reopens and the federal government gives them back-pay?

I imagine this might strain some states since states have to actually balance their budgets, but it's a nice idea.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    If the shutdown does just keep going and going, how long until California just says "Well it was nice while it lasted, but the US doesn't seem to exist anymore, so we'll take if from here. Oregon and Washington want in?".

But seriously, there must be an argument that if the government isn't functioning then the country doesn't actually exist. Could this lead to states trying to leave?

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    If the shutdown does just keep going and going, how long until California just says "Well it was nice while it lasted, but the US doesn't seem to exist anymore, so we'll take if from here. Oregon and Washington want in?".

Once the airports shut down, California will probably Nope out of the union. Same with Texas.

Basically the entirety of the west coast will form a political/economic alliance and let the rest of the country burn in their squalor and incompetence.

This discussion has been closed.