As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I mean if I was playing someone and they said "Hey, I paid the points for these Reavers to have grav chutes, I just didn't model them because the pieces are pretty finicky" I would be like "ok".

The ETB ones don't even have them as a modeling option.

I just used the holstered ones but for the grav chutes I have an aeldari army so I know how to store fragile items +

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I asked online, here also, and was told by multiple people that I would need to have those grav chutes modeled.

Someone online was nice enough to send me extras he had, and I'm adding them to my ETB Reivers. Saved me $30 because I already had bought one box to have one Reiver to add to a Deathwatch killteam, so with the 2 left and a new ETB box, I was able to fill out a DW primaris killteam, and add a unit of Reivers to my IF army.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    WYSIWYG is always preferred, but I'd never sweat somebody if they had something small like that as long as they paid the points for it. I don't expect someone to have to pay an extra $60 on a new box of models whenever they feel like changing their wargear. That said, my meta is pretty low key so that is certainly something that changes from place to place.

My personal rule is that I try very much to run my dudes as modeled, but if I have to change something I keep it to a certain point - my opponent should never have to ask "what did those guys have again?". I always have my list with me on my tablet as well in case anyone is curious about the specifics.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Does infinity have alternate load outs for units? I always assumed with those little metal guys that their weapons were static.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Purple
    It's been a while since I looked at the rulebook, but Infinity definitely has more options than there are models. I forget if it gets as ridiculous as "these 3 guys have grenades", but at the very least there are different unit profiles which there is a single model for.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Does infinity have alternate load outs for units? I always assumed with those little metal guys that their weapons were static.

The have alternate load outs but you have to buy the separate miniatures that have the weapon you want. It’s not like 40k where a unit has all its weapon options in the box.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Infinitys loadout problem got to the point where there's so many more loadouts than they are willing/able to do models for that they started putting a 'proxy' model in unit boxes that just have a sidearm or close combat weapon, so they can be used as whatever you want. Some solo model blisters they only intend to do a single model for also have just their sidearms so they're a proxy model. Also there's a huge amount of 'weapon + X' loadouts that are represented by any of the models with that weapon for that unit.

The community as a whole just kind of embraced 'every model is a proxy' and since games are usually 10-15 models a side, the first few minutes is pointing out what everything actually has.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Oh I found them. They're called Removable Glue Dots. I'll let you know how they turn out. Gotta paint the grav-chutes.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Purple
    I decided before Christmas that this is something I would pick up for myself. It's been ages that I've wanted one and people keep asking me about the stuff that I paint, but I've never had a proper display case, so it's generally been a pain to get things out and show them. I'm hopeful this will also give me more general drive to keep painting things, because man, my already slow pace has really tanked these last two years ... :(

Ikea Milsbo, with two sets of LED lighting from Amazon (and roughly 4 hours of assembly and attaching the lights without having cords all over the place). The switches to turn off the lights are attached under base at the bottom of the doors.
    lbpj9peh4q6r.jpg

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Never posted my second finished hulk. The rest of the gellerpox are still on the to-do list

jxd1lx1lg5g8.jpg

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I decided before Christmas that this is something I would pick up for myself. It's been ages that I've wanted one and people keep asking me about the stuff that I paint, but I've never had a proper display case, so it's generally been a pain to get things out and show them. I'm hopeful this will also give me more general drive to keep painting things, because man, my already slow pace has really tanked these last two years ... :(

Looks like plenty room for a PG. 8-)

• Options
    Purple
    J wrote: »

Looks like plenty room for a PG. 8-)

I mean, you're not wrong, but yesterday I was taking a mental inventory of how much stuff I own that isn't built or painted, and it made me full-stop on the idea of buying anything else. I still have at least as much Retribution unpainted as I do painted (and because I'm not so much interested in Warmachine anymore I'm not sure how likely I am to touch it despite the nice display piece it is), a handful of Infinity (some of it is at least primed and based, but I got very hung up on colours, and so to the wayside it fell ...), a buuuuunch of Dropfleet Commander stuff (what I am working on right now is little more than a starter set, of which I will have like, 3-4 of, plus additional non-starter ships, none of which is assembled and most of which requires cleaning), a Dropzone Commander starter, at least 4 MG gundams or equivalent (2 built, 2 unassembled), a model jet a friend gave me a few years ago, a few model tanks, a handful of Studio McVey miniatures I wonder if I'll ever feel good enough at painting to try painting ... And that's just what I can think of right now, not what else is probably also hiding out.

I think a Perfect Grade would be self-inflicted physical and emotional suffering. XD

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I got a couple of Underworlds warbands for xmas and I've just gotten round to slapping some paint on one of them. I'm not very good at painting Fyreslayers, and I'd hate to have to paint an army of them, but I did my best! I'll probably have to go back over with some touch ups at some point, but this is good enough for now.

ayeohj1xhmf6.jpg

kqhuoaowah50.jpg

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So I have been playing a game called gaslands with some friends for a few months that mostly just uses Hotwheels cars as miniatures. I had some time today and took apart two and did some work on them. I'm still pretty new at painting and I have never done any kind of modifying at all so it was a pretty big learning experience but i'm overall pretty happy with how they turned out.

rmz1yr88ggff.png

kkdhscn4osna.jpg

Does anyone have any tips for painting rust on? I tried a bit of vallejo's game effects rust but it just ended up being very watery and didn't really give me the effect I was looking for.

Stationary on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    The guy who runs one of my local FLGS's raves about Gaslands and even found some really awesome bitz to mod his cars.

I had considered raiding my parent's house for all my old Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars but they all belong to my nephews now.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I made made a bunch of Primaris Reivers but didn't attach their Grav-Chutes. The chutes themselves are too small to drill into with magnets (and that's a lot of work), and I don't want to permanently glue them as they seem very fiddly and vulnerable to snapping off. I wonder if I could use a non-permanent sticky glue, like the kind that is sometimes used to attach cards to magazine covers. I don't know what that substance is called though or where to find it... or if it will strip off paint. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if that would be a good solution?

Rubber cement.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The guy who runs one of my local FLGS's raves about Gaslands and even found some really awesome bitz to mod his cars.

I had considered raiding my parent's house for all my old Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars but they all belong to my nephews now.

It's a really cool game. Being able to swing by just about any store and buy cars for less then a dollar each has also made me way more comfortable just buying something that looks cool and tearing it apart. worse case scenario I lose a dollar car and a bit of paint to a lost cause.

Stationary on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I built all my C'tan that I have for my Necrons and I felt like color shift paints would be perfect.

mN3l8VO.jpg

For the Nightbringer though I'd really like to try this. I found this picture of a Nightbringer while looking at Necron paint schemes and I really like it. Not sure how I'll go about doing it. Maybe less of a swirl and more of a starry night look.
    K7jSvNf.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I asked online, here also, and was told by multiple people that I would need to have those grav chutes modeled.
    Unless I'm forgetting something about them, those people are full of it. Giving a unit grav chutes means that they can deep strike in, and that's it, right? Once they hit the table, the grav chutes have no further effect? If the only thing it effects is how the unit arrives on the table, then whether it's modeled on the mini or not is completely irrelevant.

• Options
    I ended up finishing two more cars over the last few days. Im not completely satisfied with how the metal armor over the wheels turned out on the purple car, it still looks a bit to much like the wooden sticks it actually is. But overall im pretty happy with how they turned out for fairly quick builds.

knx9mh72ig22.jpg

• Options
    Purple
    Unless I'm forgetting something about them, those people are full of it. Giving a unit grav chutes means that they can deep strike in, and that's it, right? Once they hit the table, the grav chutes have no further effect? If the only thing it effects is how the unit arrives on the table, then whether it's modeled on the mini or not is completely irrelevant.

(1) They still serve a purpose, albeit a niche one, in Kill Team. But more importantly
    (2) I like how they look, I'm just worried about transporting them.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

(1) They still serve a purpose, albeit a niche one, in Kill Team. But more importantly

Get extra foam and make a chair or something to hold the mini when you put it away

• Options
    Purple
    Kill team is only a handful of models, right? It's very much a thing you could easily do magnets in the base + small metal toolbox, if you were really worried.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Vertically, in a pluck foam tray the height of the model or taller is the safest way to transport delicate models.

Anyway, my point was if someone doesn't want to deal with delicate fins, and the only effect they have in-game is allowing a unit to deepstrike, there is absolutely no WYSIWYG need to model them.

As opposed to say, assault marines, where whether they have jump packs or not is an important differentiation, and units with and without need to be easily told apart on the table.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple

Vertically, in a pluck foam tray the height of the model or taller is the safest way to transport delicate models.

Anyway, my point was if someone doesn't want to deal with delicate fins, and the only effect they have in-game is allowing a unit to deepstrike, there is absolutely no WYSIWYG need to model them.

As opposed to say, assault marines, where whether they have jump packs or not is an important differentiation, and units with and without need to be easily told apart on the table.

I'm 100% in agreement with this... No player other than maybe "that guy" is going to be aghast when some reivers deep strike in without their fins on.

You know how they have grav chutes? They showed up at the end of turn two.

People also seem to be a lot pickier with marines than other units... nobody has ever tried to clarify if my Nid warriors/fexes are carrying devourers or deathspitters.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

I'm 100% in agreement with this... No player other than maybe "that guy" is going to be aghast when some reivers deep strike in without their fins on.

People also seem to be a lot pickier with marines than other units... nobody has ever tried to clarify if my Nid warriors/fexes are carrying devourers or deathspitters.

Devourers vs deathspitters? What about pointing out that they don't have their adrenal glands modeled?

• Options
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »

Devourers vs deathspitters? What about pointing out that they don't have their adrenal glands modeled?

They're underneath... you just can't see them :wink:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Purple
    I honestly don't think WYSIWYG should apply to super fiddly optional stuff like that... having units that can add non-weapon options to fill out the last few points you have on your list. That stuff shouldn't be necessary to model.

Flyrant wings, yes
    Venom Cannon, yes

Genestealer adrenal glands... uh no.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

They're underneath... you just can't see them :wink:
    "Adrenal glands? They're inside the bodies, where else do you expect glands to be?"

"Grav chutes? They're inside the bodies, where else do you expect grav chutes to be?"

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    "Venom cannons? There's one right up your ass, it seems"

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    "Venom cannons? There's one right up your ass, it seems"

“Oof! Right up the grave chute.”

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I like where this topic has gone.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Space bug bioweapon ass play is a fetish I never would have anticipated that I had.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I am expecting to see some amazing Reiver grave chute conversions now.
    Space bug bioweapon ass play is a fetish I never would have anticipated that I had.

I'm rescinding my invitation to share a room at Adepticon.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Get one of those tubes they use for the Hot Wheels race tracks and put it on a base and use that as your grav chute.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Purple
    What's everyone's favorite method of painting purity seals? This is for a Dark Angels army, so I'm already using the Khorne, Wazdakka, Squig & Zhandri Dust, Sepia, Ushabti, Screaming Skull progressions.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Bone and red with a brown wash. If it’s some special character bedecked in the things I’ll go extra fancy and give them a little highlight and a squiggle on the parchment.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Purple
    While I love that Deathwatch allow for a huge number of variable builds, I despise the idea of building ten little guys with set loadouts and not being able to customize them.

Luckily I've got a ton of magnets.... this squad of ten (only one shown below) is now set to be run as veterans, or veteran vanguard, with a whole slew of options....though the left arms are almost exclusively storm shields because 1) storm shields are cheap and awesome, and 2) Deathwatch shoulder pads come at a premium.

Voila... Magnet marines!

https://youtu.be/8ATEofmsXY8

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Purple
    jWgjFxm.jpg

Progress....slow but steady. The plan is to wash, dry brush and then varnish the skeleton tonight. Gotta let the varnish layer dry for a while before I start filling in more details. Maybe I'll spray the armor plates Macragge blue and get that drying as well so I can paint the red panels and gold trim over the weekend while I'm waiting on the skeleton varnish to completely dry.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.