As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2019 Fancy Dinner - 5th Annual! Hurry and Sign Up!

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited January 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello you fancy forum friends & family!!

It's time for the 5th Annual Grownup Cosplay aka PAX South Fancy Dinner!

The Fancy Dinner Tradition

PAX East D&D has, for as long as I've been a forum member, brought folks together one night during PAX to class up the joint: a semi-formal prix fixe dinner with drinks where you can get your evening wear out or put on a coat and tie (full windsor you heathen) and talk about Important Things like Adults Do. A gathering where we can put faces to names and be people sharing food and conversation, rather than forum handles sharing memes. It's been a fantastic time every chance I've gotten to go, so when South opened up in 2015 we had the inaugural dinner at Guadalajara right next to the convention center. Since we've started, members of the PA staff have even dropped by to say hello!

This will the be 5th year running! Holy crap 5 is a lot of times in a row.

When does it happen?
This year's dinner will happen on Friday, Jan 18th at 7:30PM. Dinner served at 8:00. Bar closes at 9PM

Who can attend?
Any forum participant, regardless of how rarely you post, and your +1
In the past, we've also included a +2 depending on circumstances - please ask me if you have a larger group!

I'm in! How do I sign up?

Post below if you want to attend, and if you're bringing a +1.

The Venue
We are changing venues this year! After a lot of back and forth with last year's location, we could not get the price below $90 per plate and I feel like that's just too much to ask. Instead, we are headed this year to another oldschool San Antonio location: Las Canarias, inside the Omni hotel! We'll be taking the balcony level overlooking the restaurant.
ZRoIcgyl.jpg

Where is this place??
Las Canarias is at 112 College Street San Antonio, Texas 78205. Google says it's about a 9 minute walk from the front of the convention center, just a little bit closer than our last venue.

What is the menu this year?
STARTER, Choice of...
BABY WEDGE SALAD
Texas Blue Cheese, Crispy Onions, Bacon, Buttermilk Dressing

SPICED PORK SHOULDER POZOLE
Shaved Radish, Cilantro, Tortilla Strips

ENTRÈE, Choice of...
GUAJILLO SPICED PORK TENDERLOIN
Smoked Bacon Polenta, Garlicky Greens, Peppercorn Sauce

SMOKED & ROASTED CHICKEN
Roast Breast and Smoked Leg, Baby Vegetables, Marbled Potatoes

PAN ROASTED GULF REDFISH
King Trumpet Mushrooms, Braised Napa Cabbage, Chicken Jus

DESSERT, Choice of...
WARM STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING
Vanilla Ice Cream, Toffee Caramel, Almond Tuile

CRÈME FRAICHE CHEESECAKE
Sable Cookie, Blackberry Compote, Almond Nougatine

What does this hootenanny cost?!
$80/person, tax and tip included.

If you'd like to drink, you can pick up two drink tickets for $20 or order direct from the bar. Please let me know if this is a thing you'd like!

How do I pay?

Please PM me if you'd like to pay beforehand - Venmo is the best solution for that, but cash will be fine as well. Let me know via PM how you want to do this! I do not do PayPal.

I have other questions!!!
Ask them below, or PM me.

We hope to see you all there!

The 2015 Thread
The 2016 Thread
The 2017 Thread
The 2018 Thread

Signups below!
spool32 + belasco
squeakel + spool19
aioua +1
21stcentury
jdarksun
milski
Erin the Red +1
Chanus
Heffling +1
DevoutlyApathetic
Delmain
Blameless Cleric

Tube on

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh you know I'm in and also my GF

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Also I assume you mean the 18th?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yes lol fixed that...

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yes hello I would like to sign up. I love this tradition dearly.

I’m excited to see you folks again.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm in!

I ate an engineer
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My wife and I are coming! Fancy lasses in fancy dresses!

Can't wait to see everyone

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Off topic but are you gonna bowsette it up at the con? I love that outfit

‘3’

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

‘3’

Yup!
    Currently working on jackets I can snap the shell onto. I've a short denim one with some nerdy patches, and a leather one I'm putting spikes on this weekend

Erin The Red on

‘3’

Currently working on jackets I can snap the she'll onto. Short denim one with some nerdy patches, and a leather one I'm putting spikes on this weekend

Yesssss!

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I don't know if we'll be in town on Friday yet, and I don't know when I'll know if we will be or not.

We would dearly like to make it again this year, but I can't RSVP in good faith yet.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    participate 1 chanus

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it occurs to me i’m not fat anymore so my suit probably doesn’t fit but i promise to still look fly

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Count me and the wife in!

Yessss

and assuming @Delmain is also joining us this year, we're now over our 2018 attendance already!

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well I'll help keep things moving then.

One DA shall attend.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Are they gonna walk around with delicious hors d'oeuvres again?

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    How dare you make assumptions about me.

We need four or five more attendees to get the same room we used in 2017.....

i have a variety of novelty mustaches

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Does this require people to dress up?

You don't have to come dressed in 4k, but people do aim for HD...

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm in, but I'm not wearing a jacket. Vest time bay-bee

How much does it cost to rent the room?

No charge for the room itself but we need a minimum of ~18 ppl to justify it! Also need that many to have the separate bartender make us drinks.

come on @Krathoon throw your top hat in the ring! :):)

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I will be dining fancily!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    How are we looking, attendee wise?

17, as spool19 is coming as a +1 :)

I may have venue and menu news as early as tomorrow - I might actually be able to get the money down to $75...

If anyone else is thinking of coming, please sign up now!

Oh nice! You smooth talker, you

• CurvyKittyKatCurvyKittyKat Registered User regular
    Are 'sign ups' still open, and is there a link or such, or just post on here?

Just post here and be there at the appointed time as far as I know.

edited January 2019
    I am going to have to pass. Thanks for answering my question about it.

Krathoon on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    It looks like I won't be in town until Saturday morning, so we won't be able to make it this year. Bummer for our first missed one to be the fifth year!

SrUxdlb.jpg
    Boo x2.

@CurvyKittyKat signups are still open, just post here :)

Any update on the menu?

Yep! Long post this evening....

Suit is packed!

Hello eveyone!

I fell asleep last night. Important update in the OP!

We're needing to do an abrupt change of venue - Biga has raised their prices, and I couldn't get them to budge. Honestly they didn't seem terribly interested in putting themselves out for us so... MEH. New venue! Las Canarias sounds excellent and gets great ratings. We'll have chips & salsa and drinks beforehand, then move up to the balcony for dinner.

I'm really excited to see everyone!

Shame biga thinks they’re too big-a for us. Can’t wait to try the new place. Thanks as always for organizing all this, spool. You’re the best.