As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I got a mechatro wego figure and oh my god thre box art makes me want to frame it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Tickets are up for Gundam NT's US theatrical release.

I don't know if any of y'all want to meet up to see it? Here in Los Angeles it appears to be playing in Hollywood and Torrance, if anyone else is in the area I'd be down for meeting at either.

It's on the other side of town here I will think about it

I already bought my ticket for the showing at Century City

Huh, Century City didn't show up for me the first time I checked. That's actually closer to me than Hollywood or Torrance anway.

• Options
    9mszvd1qpuj1.jpg

Look at it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Barrel chested AND broad shouldered!

Time to start on the fingers, hands, and arms.

6sDZxQjh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Working on the Ver.Ka Banshee I got and

man I will take a good HG over a MG any day of the week.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    9mszvd1qpuj1.jpg

Look at it

is that... by the Nichijou artist? e: Keiichi Arawi

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

6sDZxQjh.jpg

Hey! HEY! You in the back!
    No laying down on the job. Get up and get back to work.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Working on the Ver.Ka Banshee I got and

man I will take a good HG over a MG any day of the week.

I want to say that I disagree with your view, but I fully respect it. It's all about figuring out what you are comfortable with and enjoy. For me, the more complex stuff lets me zone out a bit as I clip, then trim, then assemble.

Man, it's going to be a sweet model when it's assembled!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

[im.g]http://i.imgur.com/6sDZxQjh.jpg[/img]

Hey! HEY! You in the back!
    No laying down on the job. Get up and get back to work.

*sighs*

FIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNEEEEEE.....

1t0KjX3h.jpg

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    and now for something completely different

All of these are amazing.

Also

• Options
    A snowed in day, a bit of Gundam help, and GDQ means building stuff goes quickly.

I am REALLY fighting the urge to flick off the Gundam though.

XwJ6Vqmh.jpg

• Options
    if you crush the puny gundam, who will help you assemble the legs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh right now I remember why I hate master grades, cause all three I've built CANT HOLD THEIR FUCKING WEAPONS!

edit: finally got that sucker in there but I'm afraid if I breath on it wrong it'll pop back out.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    A snowed in day, a bit of Gundam help, and GDQ means building stuff goes quickly.

I am REALLY fighting the urge to flick off the Gundam though.
    XwJ6Vqmh.jpg
    I truly admire your self control in this.
    I'm fairly certain I would not be so restrained.

It'd just be robot monkey flipping the bird at everything, all day long.

Edit: A brief break from flipping the bird would be taken for a classic "Pull my finger" gag.
    But after that? Back to the bird.

see317 on
  • Options
    Yay for Games Done Quick!

He's looking really good. Really suave. Really sophistica---

Wait. What do you mean I'm only 2/3 through the instruction booklet?

... Weapons?

Fuck.

Y8UGZ3Rh.jpg

• Options
    Problem. I didnt take into consideration claw weight when I places the legs. Crabbo is unfortunatly very forward tippy.

Unfortunalty the legs go into sockets so removing the super glue isnt a option. My only solutions so far are

1: Pull on legs and hope the glue breaks first
    2: Drill a hole to attack it to a base
    3. Trim the back three legs to make it lean back and hope that it balances nicely

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's not a Zoid without an obnoxious amount of weapons attached to it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

There can only be one!
    ce7fwwwr38a8.png

• Options
    Problem. I didnt take into consideration claw weight when I places the legs. Crabbo is unfortunatly very forward tippy.

Unfortunalty the legs go into sockets so removing the super glue isnt a option. My only solutions so far are

3. Trim the back three legs to make it lean back and hope that it balances nicely

Are the legs hollow? Could you try filling them with something to help counterbalance?

Heffling wrote: »

Only a little bit obnoxious... the main cannon's coming along, after all! They only upgraded it slightly from the old model...

0GbqKurh.jpg

@Brainleech -- no joke, part of the reason I brought the gunpla markers was so I could do up my Gun Sniper to look closer to that pic... the contrasting colors add a ton to the model.

• Options
    The legs are solid resin. And they are already glued in. The instructions really should have had me out the class on first.

The only way I could add weight was someone adding like, small nuts and bolts into the little gap left into the middle of the kit??

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Is the crab or the legs hollow on the kit?

You might be able to drill a hole towards the back end and add some weight to it there to adjust the balance. Maybe a small hole to fill the legs with fishing weights or something?

• Options
    See? Great minds think alike!

Could you heat up the super glue to try to break the bond without damaging the resin?

• Options
    Under the shell is a bit of a gap. The kit is the size if a real crab. If the legs were follow the thing would fall apart at the touch

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    So, drilling and filling is out.

What about adding external weight?
    I'm not sure exactly what this crab tank is supposed to look like when it's done, but could you up armor the rear with some additional armor plates without destroying the aesthetic?

• Options
    The legs are solid resin. And they are already glued in. The instructions really should have had me out the class on first.

The only way I could add weight was someone adding like, small nuts and bolts into the little gap left into the middle of the kit??

Build a base for it with strategically placed rocks or mounds of beach sand.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    So, drilling and filling is out.

What about adding external weight?
    I'm not sure exactly what this crab tank is supposed to look like when it's done, but could you up armor the rear with some additional armor plates without destroying the aesthetic?

I assume the kit is resin, so only drill/sand if you're wearing a mask!

• Options
    I still have not put together both of the Gunsnipers I have because I want to get that look but I know nothing about the gundam markers I think I do but I just don't know

Long ago Testors had paint markers kind of glorified markers in different colours which is what I think they are just in finer points

• Options
    Gundam paint markers are more intended to touch up certain kits or add some extra detail than for painting an entire kit. You could technically get the same look as in the photo, but all of the weapons come in a dark gunmetal grey and it would be much faster and cleaner to airbrush or brush paint them.

Gundam paint markers are oil based paints, and as oil based paints it means they don't cure. So you can't, for example, put down black to act like a primer then add a color on top, because you'll just end up reactivating the black and making a mess of things. Trust me, I've done so.

• Options
    I think rock on the sand base im making is the best option

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone have any ideas for sand bases, everything I find is for warhammer size minis or just completely flat

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    You can get sand or ballast and glue it to the base.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    my first idea off the top of my head would be to make a base shaped how you want the terrain, paint it with some sort of glue, then sprinkle sand over that liberally until the glue is thickly coated, then let it dry and brush off the excess sand?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    When your weapons platform is:

A) Big as a model on its own.

B) Big enough to be autonomous

C) be the basis for the concept of "If you strap enough rockets to it, anything can fly"

4gy5gmxh.jpg

I'm in the home stretch! One more weapon system and then I start on the ammo/energy belts. I figured it would take me a couple more days to finish this guy, but the lack of heavy panel lining, combined with spending so much time watching marathons, means I've blown through him much quicker than I was expecting.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Actual grains of sand aren't the right scale for gundam kits, if that's a concern.

You could put down CA glue, then use baking soda, let it cure, then apply a wash on it, like Seraphim Sepia from Citadel, then drybrush another few earth colors to give it some hue variation.

As a bonus, baking soda makes CA glue cure very quickly.

I would do all this on top of an existing base, or something you want to use as a base.

• Options
    Im not worried about gunpla scale because its for crabbo. Might just see what my hobby store has

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    You can get sand or ballast and glue it to the base.

I used washers or pennies on some of my 40k army to balance them

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Turns out assembling the belts wasn't as bad as I feared! See spoilers for the process.

Basically, the belts turned out to be nothing more than bead work. I don't know what plastic they used, but I didn't need to do any trimming after clipping them - and I probably would've made myself insane if I did. So instead, I just fastened the wire and went to town.

To start, each belt needed 8 straight pieces and 4 curved pieces. Easy peasy.

f5NgGixl.jpg

After that? 53 straight pieces. I realized that it would be much more sane if I counted them out before I started assembly, as the straights were arranged in 8-long strips on the runner. So I just snipped off all the pieces into a bowl.

KahS0JAl.jpg

A bit of time later, and I was ready to cap them! The caps requested 10mm of slack space in them, at least. I wanted to get this right, even if the slack seemed excessive.

WWzYNc2l.jpg

But with that, the belts were ready... and so was the entire model!

I present to you... Zoids EZ-015 Iron Kong, Prozean Knights Version!

6OJDZ5ah.jpg

(No, we aren't compensating for anything, why do you ask?)

He really towers. Again, 1/72 scale while the Gundam is 1/144 scale, but even if the Gundam was twice as big, the gorilla is still MASSIVE. In fact.. I think, THINK this is the first HMM I've built that is actually heavier than the original Zoid model, with its motors! Batteries would add a bit, naturally, but still.

nvNiuhuh.jpg

As you can see, I decided to set him off flipping the world the bird, just to show how articulated he is. But what is he flicking off?

Why.. Optimal Optimus, of course, who has been lurking in the background for a while! There can only be one giant gorilla in this house! ... well.. Two. Technically 3 because I have 2x of both Iron Kong and Optimal Optimus... and I guess that doesn't include Optimus Primal... And.. You know what? Fuck it, you get the idea!

2oGoWfHh.jpg

As I try to do, here's the comparison shot between the original and the new one. It really is night and day. Iron Kong was one of the earlier HMMs (as evidenced by the fact that many of the caps are "keyed" and can only go in one way), but the extra PK weapon system brings him in line with my version. The Hasbro Iron Kong included some optional CPs that the original didn't.

8KyAvb8h.jpg

Now, there was a LOT of heavy plastic left behind. The original backpack, the extra bits for the cannon... some stuff with the missiles on the back... But that only makes me more excited.

Ahh. I was going to bring this guy to Gundam Club to work on... but given that he's finished, I guess I'll need another kit to work on.

Athenor on
  • Options
    This got linked to my gunpla club group:

(haven't looked at the rest of the twitter feed, dunno the normal content)

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    08th MS Tim to Gandam 00 is perfect.