As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is stereo still a thing aka. are HiFi systems and a two speaker setup in the past?

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
I am looking into adding music to my bedroom, so with it being a room I like to keep as uncluttered as possible I'm considering going a with powered speaker that simply stream the music I choose using an app on the phone (I am mostly considering a Beoplay A9 but the specifics are not the issue). Only I find myself wondering about the whole idea of having just a single speaker.
Ever since I as a teen was able to put money towards music a music system has been about two identical speakers placed, so that they make for listening where one can close ones eyes and place the musicians on recordings in a 3-dimensional space. Only how does that work with single speaker setups, or is it that it doesn't work at all and the concept has been lost to convenience and having less cluttered homes?

I know the A9 I am considering does have multiple speaker units arranged so that it does have a left and a right speaker, as does other competing offerings only that seems to be the exception. So what is up - is stereo not a consideration anymore? With one box systems, like the A9, with the left and the right being placed so close to each other, I have to wonder if the idea of stereo has gone missing or is there some magic going on I failed to see?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Bones heal, glory is forever.
BlindZenDriver on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I want to get myself a shelf hifi system one day, and have been looking up stereo amps and speaker sets. I dunno how much that Beoplay thing costs wherever you are, but it's $3.5k here, and for that I can get a LOT of good audio equipment: https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/index.html

If you're after that bleeding edge designer look, then you can't really go past something like what you've picked out, but yeah if you're looking for accurate stereo imaging you're going to have to sit real close to it.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    I want to get myself a shelf hifi system one day, and have been looking up stereo amps and speaker sets. I dunno how much that Beoplay thing costs wherever you are, but it's $3.5k here, and for that I can get a LOT of good audio equipment: https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/index.html

If you're after that bleeding edge designer look, then you can't really go past something like what you've picked out, but yeah if you're looking for accurate stereo imaging you're going to have to sit real close to it.

I am looking to put audio in my bedroom, so I am willing to compromise somewhat on audio to get something that is really discreet/simple only it must still be good.
    I do have a traditional hifi in the living room, it is not discreet. Think two speakers the size of small adults and like a shrine with the amp, turn-table and more, which I am fine with as there is more room for it and it sort off goes with the TV.

A tip on putting together a great hifi system. Read magazines like Stereophile and keep your eyes open on ebay and the like, many that are bitten by the hifi bug are experimenting and swapping gear a lot, so one can find really good stuff that is in great condition for bargain prices. It can still be costly, but you can get good gear for not that much if you're patient/lucky.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Could you get away with pairing a couple of the nicer jambox-type things in stereo? Surely there must be models out there capable of that?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Could you get away with pairing a couple of the nicer jambox-type things in stereo? Surely there must be models out there capable of that?

Possibly. Only if I could make it work with just one unit that would be most practical as I have sort of a corner where it would not get in the way, where as a setup with two units it would mean one unit getting in the way.

It looks like the B&O people at the local shop offer one a two week full refund option, so perhaps I should just test how the A9 does work out. I suppose I could put in the living room between the big speakers and compare it directly with real hifi, that should tell me what is what.
    Only if someone has actual experience with a single unit vs. real hifi I would like to hear how it worked out long time?