As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My first controller was a paddle [Old School Gaming]

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man I have the Jill Of The Jungle trilogy on GoG

That was a weird game, the only thing I remember is the digitized "JIIIILL" voice.

My parents bought me a game called Onesimus, that was "based on" a bible story. It was just Jill of the Jungle with some sprites swapped out, the levels in a different order, and bible verses inserted in places.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Just dug my multi meter out and tested my C64 power supply.

getting the right voltages so here's hoping when the other stuff shows up all my ICs are in good order.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

getting the right voltages so here's hoping when the other stuff shows up all my ICs are in good order.

I would buy one of those inline fuse boxes - the C64 power supply is notorious for going bad and delivering an overvoltage.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited January 2019

I would buy one of those inline fuse boxes - the C64 power supply is notorious for going bad and delivering an overvoltage.

Mine is actually two wall warts going through an adapter.

The original supply is delivering way WAY overvolts. (Like 10v dc and fucking 20VAC I'm suprised it isn't melting TBH.)

Tallahasseeriel on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    as a kid, our console was a ColecoVision with an Atari adapter. my favorite game on that was Looping, and half of that was loving the song in the pipe section (Bach's "Invention Number 8.") i think my sister's was Miner 2049(r), because i remember her kinda kicking ass at it.

i think our first computer must have been a Macintosh. given my dad, it's possible it was an Apple ][, but i remember the Mac Plus.

games i played the hell out of:
    Shufflepuck Cafe, Dark Castle (the mutant & 'dizzy' vocals still live in my brain), Glider, SimAnt, Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, Incredible Machine, The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain (the reason i knew Greek letters for awhile, and basic programming), Crystal Quest, Lemmings, Myst, Warcraft, Escape Velocity (so much gametime in that, off a demo disk, because shareware), You Don't Know Jack series, Abuse.

i had the Myst calendar.. i may still have the Myst calendar, and i'll still occasionally listen to the soundtrack. (i, too, had a notebook full of drawings and notes, but i don't think i ever got through the cave labyrinth as a kid. but the environments were so immersive, it didn't much matter.) Lode Runner's music is also pretty great, if less of an album experience.

i recall my dad playing a lot of Art of War. he'd also play Lemmings and tease me by saying he was just gonna let 'em go to their doom, prompting a "Daddy, nooooooo!" and then he'd save them because i said so. i'd watch him play Abuse until i wasn't as scared of it (i was scared by Aliens, and you tell me those monsters aren't knockoff xenomorphs.)

we also had the collection The Lost Treasures of Infocom; out of all those, i may have beaten one of the Zork games, but i remember odd bits of banging my head against the text parser. i particularly remember this one riddle in Beyond Zork that i knew the answer to, but it just would not accept the many ways i tried to input it; i don't recall if i ever succeeded, but apparently just saying the answer works.. not "say answer," but "answer." i also remember getting freaked out by The Lurking Horror, and to a lesser degree, Suspended. Moonmist was neat, though there was something about a wyvern gargoyle that niggles my brain. Enchanter was cool, but i found it difficult; same for Hitchhiker's Guide -- the latter did embed "buffered analgesic" as a phrase.
    i also played Exile, but i think that may've been in college when i went on a kick of revisiting games of that era. first boyfriend got me into Ascendancy (other than Civ, probably the only 4x i'll attempt), second into HoM&M. we played hotseat, basically.

Jeff Gerstmann played a smidge of Dark Castle on a video recently, and Ben Pack mentioned his love for Glider, so it kinda got me thinking of revisiting some of these again myself.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I was always very fond of the Dr. Brain series. I only played the demo of Island, and I can't be sure how much of Lost Mind I went through. But the fourth - The Time Warp of Dr. Brain - was excellent. The logic puzzles with the brains-in-jars were my favorite. I have adopted several of the barks
    - you have the right idea, just the wrong execution
    - the brain, when drained, is really quite insane
    and the last is hard to transcribe, but the main menu is a riff on Space Invaders; the little Dr. Brain avatar makes weird noises and says ow when he gets hit.

I guess I played one of the Reader Rabbit games, but I can't figure out which one specifically.

... reaching back that far is reminding me of another edutainment product where you could choose either a girl or a boy (which, progressive!) and wander around a little town collecting letters. I don't remember if you're trying to spell target words or what. Probably DOS.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I find Return of the Obra Dinn fascinating because its aesthetic is pure original Mac.

So I guess that c64 board might show up today (it was only in WV) but the character and kernal chips are going to be next week.

I could probably try to desolder the ones from my old doner board but uh. Last time I tried desoldering it went bad.

I need to find someone who has better equipment and knows what they are doing with it.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I still have my 7 CD copy of Phantasmagoria. I'm not even sure why.

sig.gif
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I still have my 7 CD copy of Phantasmagoria. I'm not even sure why.

My parents still have CD copies of 7th Guest, 11th hour, Phantasmagoria and the sequel. They really liked those crappy FMV puzzle games

I remember Phantasmagoria 2 having a heavy BDSM subplot which was difficult to parse at the age I was

One that I remember fondly even though it was probably especially shit was Realms of the Haunting. It made no sense back then and after watching a LP of it recently it still makes no sense, but that was great in an early 3d game that had a huge degree of interactivity with the environment

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    I reinstalled Master of Magic last night. Thanks threadbama.

steam_sig.png
    Ok.

Fuck desoldering.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My dad worked with computers and we always had PCs.

At one point he worked for some government agency and helped them make a custom Doom WAD where the enemies were cricket themed.

Then I had to play thst for him on the PC with its output going to a horrible television into our VCR so he could tape it to play back later at some.. I don't know exhibition or conference or something?

Then when I was 7 or 8 my brother (older by 7 years) "made me" play Warcraft 2 against him until I cried. He would not let us ally against the AI and just rolled me repeatedly.

Also the same shit with quake2 but no tears. Back when our ISP hosted servers for their cable subscribers exclusively. I wish arena fps still got proper amounts of play.

stimtokolos on
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    My first video game memory is playing a Pong system at my friend's house.

My first computer game memory was playing a Mad Libs game written in BASIC on (I think) an NEC TREK that my dad borrowed from work.

The first 'game system' I owned was a Mattel Basketball handheld. I didn't actually own my first console until the Sega Master System, which I saved up for over most of a year.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My first actual video game memory is playing Berzerk for the Atari 2600

But I probably didn't give a fuck about video games until I played SMB on my uncle's NES and it blew my goddamn mind

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Some the games I remember playing are

Tunneler
    3BmYTTh.jpg

Hugo's House of Horrors
    2DzdPD9.gif

The Incredible Machine
    w87kWg6.jpg

Stunts
    FRxMfkX.gif

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The Incredible Machine looks very familiar but I'm also 100% sure I never played it. I wonder why I recognize it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I thought it was impossible to not have seen The Incredible Machine, it was such a ubiquitous edutainment (actually mostly just entertainment, but it did foster creative problem/puzzle solving skills I guess) software product in the 90s from my point of view. It seemed like every school computer lab had it. You might just recognize it from vague cultural zeitgeist or some imitator or sequel.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    This is the first video game I ever got good at, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_(video_game)

vaqh25i1ptz0.png

Check out those tasty graphics (the Kaypro could only display text and make a beep noise). The player avatar is the lowercase 'q' in the picture, a 'p' when facing the other way.

Besides this obvious Donkey Kong clone, it also came with a Pac-Man clone and a few other games. But I could play Ladder until the levels stopped giving you enough time to complete them.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I remember getting Myst and X-Com both for Christmas one year; that was a really good holiday. I went out the next day and bought the guide to Myst because I was dumb as rocks and got stuck on the keyboard puzzle.

I also remember when our grocery store's video store briefly rented out PC games, either not knowing or caring that you could just install the game and keep playing it after you returned the disk. It was not a long-lived program.

The first computer I ever bought was in 1994 at the PX in Korea with some bonus money. Oh, and this little game about UFOs called X-Com. I wonder what that's about?

I played the crap out of that game when I should have been sleeping, and then bought X-Com 2 when it came out just a few months later.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The first game I ever played was when my uncle brought his Atari 2600 to my grandparents place and I got to play Stampede.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPmwTeoFLc

Now, in my mind, this had Sunset Riders level graphics... I was very young at the time.

The first console I had was a Coleco Telstar, which actually came out before I was born. I am not sure under which circumstances it arrived in our household. It had four different kinds of Pong, a light gun, paddle controllers and everything was black and white.

After that it was, in order, a 386, a Commodore 64, an NES, an Amiga 600, a 486 100hz (I remember it could play the first CD of Terra Nova, a game that had a Pentium processor as a minimum requirement, but not the second one) and then we moved into the SNES era and eventually the PS1.

I think my best memory from that time is still the summer where we couldn't afford to go on vacation, but my mom found someone who wanted to sell his C64 tape collection for a pittance. So we basically bought a washing basket of unmarked tapes and spent the summer cataloguing all of these weird Commodore games. Sometimes you got Impossible Mission, sometimes you got Monty On The Run, sometimes you got something that just wouldn't run at all.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I should get my kernal and character chips for my c64 tomorrow. Already got the new board on which everthing looks good except the capacitors near the power look a bit old compared to the other board? It also needs dusted.

Maybe I'll take a picture and y'all that are better with electronic stuff than I can tell me if I should replace em?

Oh hey maybe someone here will know what the fuck I'm talking about!

Back when I was maybe 8 or 9, so 1990 or 1991, we had this "console" that was basically a rudimentary MSPaint, but for a TV. I don't even remember if it had a mouse or if it was a trackball (I think it was a trackball) and that's basically all it was. It had, like, pre-loaded images you could color in and I think, maybe it had a composer mode like Mario Paint, but that could just be my mind mixing this thing with Mario Paint.

edited January 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Back when I was maybe 8 or 9, so 1990 or 1991, we had this "console" that was basically a rudimentary MSPaint, but for a TV. I don't even remember if it had a mouse or if it was a trackball (I think it was a trackball) and that's basically all it was. It had, like, pre-loaded images you could color in and I think, maybe it had a composer mode like Mario Paint, but that could just be my mind mixing this thing with Mario Paint.

There was an angry video game nerd video about this I think

The ljn video art?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mario Paint was the best

The ljn video art?

Nope, not that. It was much more colorful and had a friendlier UI than that.

edited January 2019

The ljn video art?

Phillips roller controller??

That was a cdi thing though

Ohio art also made an electronic etch a sketch thing in the 90s.

Tallahasseeriel on
    The socrates thing i linked upthread had an bad paint mode and a bad controller. Maybe it was that.

steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I thought it was impossible to not have seen The Incredible Machine, it was such a ubiquitous edutainment (actually mostly just entertainment, but it did foster creative problem/puzzle solving skills I guess) software product in the 90s from my point of view. It seemed like every school computer lab had it. You might just recognize it from vague cultural zeitgeist or some imitator or sequel.

I remember loving the music so much I tried copying the music onto a cassette tape, but it required rewiring my parents sound system to the computer and the first few times it didn't even record! I took the whole thing to college along with my tapes of the Final Fantasy 2 (IV) soundtrack and the F-Zero soundtrack (loved "Big Blue"!)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

So... How's it going?

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Uh oh, 7th Guest is $8 on the App store. There goes my night.

Butler wrote: »
    Uh oh, 7th Guest is $8 on the App store. There goes my night.

Sly spry gypsy slyly tryst crypts.

Or something. That can puzzle ruined my life as a kid.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This thread also made me remember trying to play ColecoVision games as a kid when you don't have any of the inserts for the controller

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    There was always something slightly unsettling about the very early computer games, especially if you were a kid. They didn't look, sound or behave like anything else in the world - half the time even the grown-ups didn't seem to know what the hell was going on with them. It was like having a tiny, moody alien chained up in the corner of the classroom.

Butler on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

The ljn video art?

Was it this classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyd-0_ZZ8qc

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i also played a lot of Incredible Machine in school, that was a staple of Middle School computer labs, at least until i convinced the teacher to let me install Driver

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    There was always something slightly unsettling about the very early computer games, especially if you were a kid. They didn't look, sound or behave like anything else in the world - half the time even the grown-ups didn't seem to know what the hell was going on with them. It was like having a tiny, moody alien chained up in the corner of the classroom.

I never felt unsettled, only wonder and excitement. I don't feel it as often these days but sometimes I do. Good games be magic.

Maybe it's because I'm the kind of guy who would peek inside the Necronomicon.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ohh wow. Dug through YouTube to find the Incredible Machine soundtrack and found my favorite song, the Jazz/Fusion one:

https://youtu.be/XpY2LP6UaT8?t=270

Now this probably explains why I love Synthwave so much these days.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

So... How's it going?

Doing a lot of reloading as I remember how things work ( and because i take it as personal insult to ever lose a hero or city even at the end of the game when it doesnt matter). Takes a bit getting used to how aggressive the AI is and the bad map visibility and how easy it is to spam build units compared to most modern 4X games. The one remaining AI keeps dropping units in the middle of empire instead of nibbling at the edges. I could have taken her out by now since all you have to do is get the tower, but I like to be thorough.

As usual I'm doing the artificer runemaster build with most of my books in sorcery, because confusion and phantom warriors are pretty OP and let you get away running barely any units.

The AI is insane, Freya spawned on the other side of the map, wandered into the middle of my territory then demanded i stop sending units near her cities. The only way to make the AI happy at all is constantly plying them with gold, or giving up precious arcane secrets, so I just deal with being in a constant state of war.

My entire offensive capability is Serena and B'shan with loaded down with about 6000 mana worth of artifacts giving ridiculous attack, defenses, +5 movement and flight.

My other heroes are just spellcasters parked at my tower and kitted out with spellpower gear to power my mana engine.

steam_sig.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    having only played TIM in a computer lab... i was not even aware the game had sound. this is the first time ive heard this music