As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android Games] thread

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Eheheh... Making threads is hard, y'all. I haven't tried to make a monster OP like this since the Battletech thread in Critical Failures.

So, players of Azur Lane, what do you want to see in the thread? I'm deffo adding a ship type cheat sheet, community links (wiki, Discord), starting tips (fuse your boxes, learn to manage oil, etc.) and a section on current events. But what else is important for me to have up before anything else?

If you want I can grab the 2ed post and do the event section since I've played them on the CN server and maybe an upcoming features like subs and PR researcher. Actually if there is interest a how to sign up on CN or JP servers.

Edit: Of course I get top of the page'd when I am to lazy to hit the quote button.

Honestly, I'm about ready to give up on trying to write more than a simple intro like the Dragalia Lost thread. If you want to do it instead you might do a better job than me.

EDIT: Okay I got my fire back

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Can you just make the thread with a small OP and discuss additional content in there, please? This is a general purpose thread, after all.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    How is the Game of Thrones edition of Reign?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Terra Battle has been out since 2014, but if you don't know it:

Terra Battle is a puzzle game with RPG elements, reasonably deep strategy, and a neat mechanic: you have a few seconds to move a tile around the board, manipulating other tiles as you go, similarly to Puzzle and Dragons. Unlike P&D, the tiles represent characters and monsters, and the goal is to attack enemy tiles by bracketing them with your own. This is complicated by elemental attacks, a paper-scissors-rock weapon triad, enemies with specific attack patterns, and a wide array of special abilities and status effects. The art is consistently gorgeous, if occasionally cringy. There's a story that has no effect on gameplay whatsoever, but is fun to unlock anyway.

It is a gacha game, and there's a huge number of characters to collect and upgrade; but the gacha mechanic never feels mercenary: you get a steady trickle of energy (i.e., premium currency) just for logging in; and you can honestly ignore the monetization entirely and not miss it. The game seems to be balanced around the more powerful "common" characters, so the rares are nice to have, but not essential - and you'll get rares anyway, as long as you don't waste energy refilling your (generous) stamina meter.

Mistwalker just released an update that makes the grinding zones and most of the raids always available, instead of being on a rotating schedule. Also, you can now watch an ad each for 1 energy, 1 rare character pull, 1 common character pull, and 1 rare equipment pull daily.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Terra Battle was the first gacha I played regularly; it scratched a similar itch to Fire Emblem Heroes. Novel gameplay in a gacha! What a concept! This is a good winding-down update.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I checked my Google Play wishlist and noticed a few games were on sale If you have a wishlist, you might as well check and see if any of the games you want are on sale since, for whatever reason, Google doesn't notify you when something on your wishlist is on sale

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Another game on my wishlist is on sale:

Thimbleweed Park

I watched a stream of the beginning of this game a while ago and it looks like a great throw back to the adventure games of old. Kind of like a Monkey Island vibe with an X-Files story.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Another game on my wishlist is on sale:

Thimbleweed Park

I watched a stream of the beginning of this game a while ago and it looks like a great throw back to the adventure games of old. Kind of like a Monkey Island vibe with an X-Files story.

I played it on my PC and yeah it was sort of trying to be exactly like you said. There were two parts where I got stuck on puzzles but the overall game was fun and scratched that itch of playing a new Monkey Island type game.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Urgh they put Valkyrie Profile on the phones....
    Anyone in here tried it out?
    Apparently it's been out since march....

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I picked up Death Road to Canada

it's very good

My crew are never making it to Canada

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Urgh they put Valkyrie Profile on the phones....
    Anyone in here tried it out?
    Apparently it's been out since march....

I guess it's fine? Just a bit of a control issue in some of the dungeons from what I've read.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Valkyrie Profile is also £2 cheaper than it used to be. Not a sale price, looks like a regular price drop. Still spendy for a phone game, but definitely cheaper than a PS1 copy, I'd imagine. I wonder if it's a fool's errand waiting for an actual sale price on that game...

The only one on my wishlist that was actually on sale was Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. God knows if I'll ever play the thing on my phone, but for mere pennies of Google credit... *yoink*

Also, in other news, Plunkbat Mobile is a hell of a thing. I actually prefer it to the PC game, I think. It's certainly a great technical achievement. There's a bit of F2P baggage with all these different screens and menus laid out differently from each other to collect all the gubbins, but I've not had to put a penny into it (it's all cosmetics and goes much, much further down that rabbit hole than the PC version does, sometimes hilariously) and still have a lot of fun with it. Pretty remarkable game.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Anyone here play Subterfuge? Seems like a pretty cool game and I'm thinking about plopping $10 to be able to create private games if I can find enough people to regularly play with.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    It took me playing the game Brass in real life to realize my mistakes and earn a score worth a shit on the Android App.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Huh, Valkyrie Profile is back up to £17.99. Guess that two quid off wasn't permanent.

• Options
    XCOM: Enemy Within is on sale. £1.79 in the UK compared to its regular £8.99, so that's a whopper of a discount. It's the only thing on my wishlist that's discounted (Black Friday what now?) but hell, I'll take it!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ragnarok Online released a mobile adaptation that is pretty good. Doesn't seem too money hungry.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Been playing a couple free to play things lately.

Langrisser came out and is kinda ok. Fire Emblem Heroes if it had more strategy. Full sized maps, but you're still limited to around five units. Seems ok for now, I'll probably never put money into it because it seems dirty and the launch has had some... questionable marketing.

Also playing Another Eden: A Cat Beyond Time and Space. It's a single player jrpg with a gacha mechanic ("Christ shadowfire, what are you doing?") but it's got a kinda nice, laid back feeling. It's a story based game, events come that have no end date so you don't have to rush to do them. And it has a hell of a pedigree including Masato Kado (Chrono trigger) and Yasunori fucking Mitsuda.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    https://gematsu.com/2019/02/yggdra-union-well-never-fight-alone-coming-to-smartphones-this-spring-in-japan
    Sting is bringing its 2006-released Game Boy Advance tactical RPG Yggdra Union: We’ll Never Fight Alone to iOS and Android devices this spring in Japan, the developer announced.

The smartphone version of Yggdra Union will have an updated user interface with additional features, controller support, and more. The official website will launch in the coming days.

Both the Game Boy Advance version of Ygddra Union and the 2008-released PSP version were localized by Atlus U.S.A. in the west.

https://youtu.be/eiig84IUtsM

I started to think of this GBA game after I bought Wargroove. Always wanted a copy but couldn't find one at the store.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I remember playing the game and enjoying it back in the GBA days but really can't remember anything about it other than the unit fighting animations and map movement.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Definitely going to pick that up when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Another Eden, the Gacha wall feels like it happens after level 20 where 3 star characters stop progressing through their class boards until one unlocks them from grinding upgrade materials from repeatable dungeon runs.

Edit:
    I do like some of the actual game mechanics like switching characters in and out of battle to regenerate HP/TP or bring in a character that can hit the weaknesses of whatever you are fighting.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Another Eden's still quite good. You get two free 4*s right now, enough currency by Level 20 to roll 10 units at once for another guaranteed 4*, and hopefully you didn't get a dupe 4* of one of the two you previously got, so you can round out your team. Worst case, you're stuck with Riica who can still service as your 3* healer and doesn't really need 4* stats.

I got lucky and my first 10 pull gave me 4* Krevro - some future scientist dude who can heal and does poison damage with his specials, and a 4* Lokido who can upgrade to 5* (though that's a grind I'm not ready for yet).

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Oh boo, the game is unavailable in The Netherlands.

• Options
    I ended up with 5* Shiro and a 3* version of Pom who sounds a lot like Krevro but she's a nurse who is constantly spinning a staff in combat.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I ended up with 5* Shiro and a 3* version of Pom who sounds a lot like Krevro but she's a nurse who is constantly spinning a staff in combat.

So jealous right now.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular
    Recently recovering from FFBE gacha madness, looking for a reasonably deep turn based strategy or rpg that can be played offline.

• Options
    lodger wrote: »
    Recently recovering from FFBE gacha madness, looking for a reasonably deep turn based strategy or rpg that can be played offline.

Final Fantasy VI?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does anyone here play KHUx?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    If anyone is looking for some more Android gaming, Gorogoa is on sale for 2 more days:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=unity.Annapurna.Gorogoa

I haven't played the Android version but I've only heard amazing things about the PC version and I imagine they are the same.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection is basically a Konami themed Picross. It's free.

Highly recommend.

• Options
    Gorogoa is a cute little puzzle game with a bit of a dreamy story. I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's not very difficult and quite short (finished it on PC in less than 2 hours)

--

I just finished Hungry Hearts Diner and that one is super cute. It is a simple clicker game, but the story is just so lovely. You play as an old lady running a small diner in the 70s in Japan. Your base gameplay loop is selecting dishes to serve, tapping customers to serve them and tapping them again to collect your money. With every dish you make you earn levels to upgrade your diner and improve the revenue of your dish and unlock new dishes. Near the end you have like 60 different menu items (all stuff you can really get in Japanese small diners). If you have dishes that suplement each other well, customers will order more (like rice+soup+tea or gyoza+beer+steak). However, nearly all your customers are friends and family of the main character and as you serve them the food they crave they will talk with you. Slowly but surely you'll learn why they are the way they are and in the end they all get closure on something traumatic they have been dealing with. Stuff like war, violence, poverty, isolation and lost. I don't think the game needs trigger warnings, but I did have a good ol' cry over the ending.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    This Starship Traders: Frontier game from the Trese Brothers is actually quite good. Giving me space mount and blade vibes.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    https://mariokarttour.com/

Is taking applications for Closed Beta Test participants for android users at the moment.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Gorogoa is a cute little puzzle game with a bit of a dreamy story. I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's not very difficult and quite short (finished it on PC in less than 2 hours)

--

I just finished Hungry Hearts Diner and that one is super cute. It is a simple clicker game, but the story is just so lovely. You play as an old lady running a small diner in the 70s in Japan. Your base gameplay loop is selecting dishes to serve, tapping customers to serve them and tapping them again to collect your money. With every dish you make you earn levels to upgrade your diner and improve the revenue of your dish and unlock new dishes. Near the end you have like 60 different menu items (all stuff you can really get in Japanese small diners). If you have dishes that suplement each other well, customers will order more (like rice+soup+tea or gyoza+beer+steak). However, nearly all your customers are friends and family of the main character and as you serve them the food they crave they will talk with you. Slowly but surely you'll learn why they are the way they are and in the end they all get closure on something traumatic they have been dealing with. Stuff like war, violence, poverty, isolation and lost. I don't think the game needs trigger warnings, but I did have a good ol' cry over the ending.

I just finished Hungry Hearts Diner. It was good!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Final Fantasy 2 on Android supports a controller? I really want to play it and I think that would be the easiest way to get ahold of it, but I also refuse to use a touch screen for games like that. I have FF5 and it is CUMBERSOME to play.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Troll Patrol is a decent match 3 via drawing paths game with some RPG elements

Free to play and the only payment option removes the odd ad (which as it costs about two quid and I've probably played it for a combined dozen hours I've paid)

It's in beta and it's interesting to see it grow and develop from something very basic into one of the better phone games I've come across

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The mobile game with it's own soundtrack: BTS World by Netmarble
    It's 2012 - and you work at Big Hit. As BTS's manager, their debut is up to you!

Is this the beginning of your success story?
    Will you be able to go back to your own world?
    It’s time to live your wildest dreams - jump right in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSxbt-O6TA

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.legotower&hl=en_US

Lego Tower is out now. I loved Tiny Tower and this looks like an updated version.

If you would like to be friends my code is 79RV

Edit: It has a prestige mechanic. I may be in some trouble here.

captaink on