As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    @Blake T

for this part of the whip feat "You cannot drag a creature unless you move away from the creature unless you start your turn or move adjacent to the creature first." I would change it to "As an action have the grappled enemy make a strength save, on failure enemy is dragged towards you up to 3 squares".

Get over here!!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    @Blake T

for this part of the whip feat "You cannot drag a creature unless you move away from the creature unless you start your turn or move adjacent to the creature first." I would change it to "As an action have the grappled enemy make a strength save, on failure enemy is dragged towards you up to 3 squares".

Get over here!!

There's not one reason the battlemaster's pushing attack can't push the enemy monster 15 feet straight in the air due to a sick upper cut... yes that could cause a d6 of fall damage.

Sleep on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Netflix Castlevania Whip Mastery: When determining the length of the whip for doing cool shit, instead slam dunk those number in the garbage can. The whip is now an arbitrary length that changes in every shot to whatever will allow it to do whatever radical stunts you want.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    @Blake T

Get over here!!

Other house rule i was thinking about, how does this sound? "Exhaustion, take 1 level of exaustion to take a single attack, or cast a spell of 6th level or below. Take two levels of exhaustion to take a full attack action or cast a spell of 9th level or below. Levels in Exhaustion are taken after the attack or spell has been cast. Can only be done once per round"

I think it would be an interesting last ditch kind of thing. Like the players are facing certain death but can muster up a final Hail Mary action. I'm just going off the top of my head here right now, but thematically I think it sounds cool in a big heroes setting type game.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Netflix Castlevania uses the Apocalypse World Engine, not d20, obviously.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    you ever have that constant need to be playing rpgs? cause man, i certainly do. wanna stab some monsters.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Netflix Castlevania uses the Apocalypse World Engine, not d20, obviously.

Likely Rhapsody of Blood to be precise.

I stopped dinking around made a discord channel to talk about organizing It's Always Sunny in Fantasyland so we can do that. Hit me up if you want the link.

4e-wise, the Space Dragons sound pretty boss. I've also still got the Points of Light paths to run through at some point.

Melding wrote: »
    you ever have that constant need to be playing rpgs? cause man, i certainly do. wanna stab some monsters.

This is me. If I could devote my time to making and running games, I would be very content with my life.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited January 2019

If I could do it for a living I would. I'd run a different setting for folks every day of the week. Genesys on Monday, 5e on Tuesday, 13th age on Wednesday, Blades in the Dark on Thursday and probably a different 5e campaign on Friday.

webguy20 on
  • Options

If I could do it for a living I would. I'd run a different setting for folks every day of the week. Genesys on Monday, 5e on Tuesday, 13th age on Wednesday, Blades in the Dark on Thursday and probably a different 5e campaign on Friday.

hello i would like to talk to you about your monday and friday games.

• Options

Well my current Genesys game is a low fantasy (D&D esque) Pirates of the Caribbean type game where Magic disappeared due to a cataclysm a couple thousand years previously, and the world has worked back up to the age of sail, and now magic might be coming back and a threat to the world. The D&D campaign I'm tinkering with is spelljammer Firefly/Expanse. I really lean hard into Crazy bullshit when it comes to my Orcs and Elves fantasy. I love Ebberon for example.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Apparently FFG have received a lot of positive buzz about the important character stats in the Dawn of the Rebellion and Clone Wars sourcebooks?
    FFG wrote:
    Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the Allies and Adversaries sourcebook for Star Wars™ Roleplaying!

This sourcebook collects the profiles for heroic Rebels, evil Imperials, and galactic scum and villainy drawn from all three Star Wars Roleplaying game lines, along with a host of brand-new individuals who have never before been profiled. This sourcebook is an essential collection of NPCs, whether you're playing Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, or Force and Destiny. In all, over 130 NPCs are fully statted throughout the book for use in any Star Wars Roleplaying campaign!

Oh. Well that's neat I guess. I suppose some people who want to have occasional encounters with major characters will be happy. I'm generally not that kind of player or GM though--
    Part of the Tribe
    Ewoks are a species of short, furry, bipeds native to the forest moon of Endor. Their fur coloration ranges from white and tan to brown and even black, with the occasional member having blotchy spots or stripes. Deceptively strong for their size, Ewok hunters are capable of besting larger opponents...

Within this section in Allies and Adversaries, Game Masters will find everything they need to add Ewoks to a campaign, including stats for an Ewok Hunter and an Ewok Shaman, and instructions on how to create an Ewok player character!

god

DAMMIT

(quietly sets aside money)

Still I am kind of disappointed in the post WEG star wars RPG as there were stats for Mandalorian armors and the mods that you could do them and you could play Empire characters or such
    Not everyone wants to be the rebels

You can totally play Imperials, Sith, full-fledged Jedi instead of wild talents, even jerks who don't have hearts of gold. None of the careers or specializations are titled, e.g., Rebel Sharpshooter.

As for Mandalorian armor, it's there. It's just sectioned off in sourcebooks. And there's plenty of attachments and mods for armor.

This is true, but I personally feel that not having explicit options for people who want to play evil death cultists and/or their fascist stooges is a feature and not a bug.

I generally agree. Maybe a few years ago I'd feel different, but these days I'm a bit wary of people who still want to play the Empire (looking at you, Angry Joe) as the Empire, and not as people who eventually figure out they're the bad guys and defect. There's nothing wrong with playing the bad guy, but specifically wanting to play a fascist these days...eh.

I'm just saying there's nothing mechanically stopping players and GM from doing so with FFG's Star Wars roleplaying game. Or a Sith. Or even DJ, instead of Han.

• Options

Well my current Genesys game is a low fantasy (D&D esque) Pirates of the Caribbean type game where Magic disappeared due to a cataclysm a couple thousand years previously, and the world has worked back up to the age of sail, and now magic might be coming back and a threat to the world. The D&D campaign I'm tinkering with is spelljammer Firefly/Expanse. I really lean hard into Crazy bullshit when it comes to my Orcs and Elves fantasy. I love Ebberon for example.

interesting

• Options
    Man you could do a pretty good side business If you were a good DM and people were willing to pay. Do like 4 hours sessions for $100, that's $20 for a 5 player group per person. Run each group every other week thats $40 per person per month which isn't too bad, especially if you can provide all the materials needed. You'd need 10 groups to keep your nights busy.

If you were a good DM and had some fun campaigns you could really do some cool stuff. Plus you could really hone the same campaigns across multiple groups, maybe do some adventure publishing.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    What if your players were lame though!

sig.gif
  • Options
    there is also trying to do professional podcasts and stuff, streaming games if you have an interesting enough group. though you'd certainly want a job that could support you in the mean time with that one.

also that genesys game sounds like my kind of thing, the spell jammer like game, maybe less so. maybe it's because i don't like firefly, though. whenever firefly come sup a part of my brain just echos abort, and i get distracted and end up wandering away, and then where did i get this cookie? huh/

• Options
    Man you could do a pretty good side business If you were a good DM and people were willing to pay. Do like 4 hours sessions for $100, that's $20 for a 5 player group per person. Run each group every other week thats $40 per person per month which isn't too bad, especially if you can provide all the materials needed. You'd need 10 groups to keep your nights busy.

If you were a good DM and had some fun campaigns you could really do some cool stuff. Plus you could really hone the same campaigns across multiple groups, maybe do some adventure publishing.

It's been something I've been toying with for awhile as an idea. Part of the trick is having groups that are interested in paying for a DM. Other than people saying I should run professionally, no one's said "Hey, I'll pay you to run a game for me and my friends" Though I suppose that would come to marketing at.

When people are willing to pay you to run a game for them, not all of them are going slam dunk good times games. Like, people who will pay for a GM will do so for various reasons, some of which will be due to the fact they can't keep a friendly GM for reasons. That comes with setting proper rates and ground rules and such.

Streaming/Podcasting professionally would be nice, that route is very well-trod at this point though and would need more investment to get anywhere than setting up a shingle and per diem DMing.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »

It's been something I've been toying with for awhile as an idea. Part of the trick is having groups that are interested in paying for a DM. Other than people saying I should run professionally, no one's said "Hey, I'll pay you to run a game for me and my friends" Though I suppose that would come to marketing at.

When people are willing to pay you to run a game for them, not all of them are going slam dunk good times games. Like, people who will pay for a GM will do so for various reasons, some of which will be due to the fact they can't keep a friendly GM for reasons. That comes with setting proper rates and ground rules and such.

Streaming/Podcasting professionally would be nice, that route is very well-trod at this point though and would need more investment to get anywhere than setting up a shingle and per diem DMing.

Also have a very good session zero document that outlines player expectations, and just like the service industry, reserve the right to refuse service if they end up being fucknuts. A single refunded session is better than dealing with rape fantasy RPing and stuff like that.

I'd maybe run it like a bowling league honestly enough. Sign up for a season, first session is discounted to make sure the players and DM fit, then off to the races.

As far as streaming that doesn't interest me. I don't want to be putting on a show for the world, just my players.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Also have a very good session zero document that outlines player expectations, and just like the service industry, reserve the right to refuse service if they end up being fucknuts. A single refunded session is better than dealing with rape fantasy RPing and stuff like that.

I'd maybe run it like a bowling league honestly enough. Sign up for a season, first session is discounted to make sure the players and DM fit, then off to the races.

As far as streaming that doesn't interest me. I don't want to be putting on a show for the world, just my players.

I posted in a meet-up group looking for players and was inundated with 3x the number I could actually run for. So I put together a survey to figure out what games, genres, and playstyles people liked. I totally think I could extend that into an analytics driven RPG matching service if I had a ton of spare cash lying around.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Pretty much. Lots of the same rules would apply running professionally versus casually.

I'd likely have a couple recorded sessions for people to look at on a site so they can preview a couple different games styles so that they aren't "picking blind" so to speak.

There's a couple different ways to go about it. Just getting the foot in the door and finding a group who's good with paying for the session and doing so consistently is the part I'm currently stuck at.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    matev, i will gladly play dnd with you for exposure.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Oh boy, good thing I can eat exposure!

Wait....

But yah, I'm down to play games with folks on here.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Will eat food for exposure.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Will expose to eat food

• Options
    will eat exposed food

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bear safety is no joke, please read the signs posted at the campground entrance

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Will make Constitution checks against cold weather for exposure

• Options
    Will open windows for exposure.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Netflix Castlevania Whip Mastery: When determining the length of the whip for doing cool shit, instead slam dunk those number in the garbage can. The whip is now an arbitrary length that changes in every shot to whatever will allow it to do whatever radical stunts you want.

they did so much work to make the whips awesome and cool that I will absolutely forgive them mucking around with how long they actually were

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Whips in Castlevania have variable length, that's just canon

• Options
    yeah it's a popular feat for some reason

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So 5e people - what's the most glass cannon build you can come up with? Are there any classes with good or interesting trade-offs between survivability and utility?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Whips in Castlevania have variable length, that's just canon

A chilling exposé!

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    15 feet long is pretty standard for a bullwhip I feel.

Maybe a bit shorter, maybe like 12 feet, but with the way reach works in D&D that still wouldn't be unreasonable.

Edit: Pretty much any other type of whip would be shorter though, and the other types of whip might be more capable of actually serving as some form of weapon. But I assume we're talking big ol' bullwhips, because those have the most media representation.

Nah, bullwhips are typically 8 feet long. But for D&D that's an odd length, so extending it to 10 feet makes sense on a 5 foot square grid pattern. Then you can account for limb length and character lean by just saying yeah fuck it, 15 foot reach, done.

For Indiana Jones style whip shenanigans (wrapping the end a few times around an overhead log and swinging across a chasm too wide to make a running leap across), you'd need a whip that was too long and cumbersome to reasonably use as a weapon, 30-40 feet long.

• Options
    what is a game with good polearms? polearms are cool.

• Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular

Hackmaster 5E.

• Options
    Elddrik wrote: »

Hackmaster 5E.

i have no idea the rules of hackmaster, but the halberd doesn't look that impressive.

• Options
    Elddrik wrote: »

Hackmaster 5E.

i have no idea the rules of hackmaster, but the halberd doesn't look that impressive.

It's got an entire two-page spread of polearms, though.

(Bec de corbin, bill-guisarme, fauchard, fauchard-fork, glaive, halberd, ranseur, short spear, spetum, and voulge.)

In addition to those (these following didn't make the spread for illustrations), it has the military fork, glaive-guisarme, guisarme-voulge, partisan, pike, spear, and trident.

(The halberd is also pretty devastating. It has a reach of seven feet; the character with a higher reach gets to attack first, so it almost always gets the first attack. 2d10p + 3 is a ton of damage; the p on the end refers to penetrating damage, which means that if you roll max, you reroll and add new roll -1 to the damage, the end result being an average damage of 15. 15 points is enough to force a Threshold of Pain check on weak creatures, having a chance to effectively one-shot most low-end creatures, and if you take out your target in one hit every time, its slow speed doesn't matter.)

(Hackmaster 5E has a very detailed combat system. You can get the basics of it with the free Hackmaster Basic PDF available on the KenzerCo website.)

• Options
    yeah i was reading the basic rules. it only lists two pole arms there.

• Options
    yeah i was reading the basic rules. it only lists two pole arms there.

Fair enough! Yeah, there's a lot more in the full rules. (And probably in Basic+, but I don't actually know what's in that, I've only ever read Basic and the full version.)

• Options
    i trust you, but i have enough rpgs i'm never going to play already, so i'm not going to buy it to find out.