As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Though Isaac may unintentionally leave such sick burns on your soul that you would forever question your value as a biological unit.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Though Isaac may unintentionally leave such sick burns on your soul that you would forever question your value as a biological unit.

Or add your leg to his collection.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    So what are the chances that virus will somehow alter Isaac in a future episode? He is arrogant enough that he may not have taken all the precautions when trying to clean it out. I would love for him to get small behavioral changes over multiple episodes building the romantic subplot with the doctor until he realizes what's going on.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So apparently the premiere was the episode that was trimmed from last season.

I don't know if it was filmed and then shelved, or just tacked on to S2's production, but that makes more sense if it was supposed to be last year instead of this year.

sig.gif
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tonight's episode.
    This episode got surprisingly dark for what started out as "disappointed family reunion, in space".
    Beats getting eaten by an alien tar monster, anyways.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I love how:
    They had good scientific reason for Alaras weakness, instead of a weird space disease.
    Our current astronaut have same problem, while being on orbit for long periods.

Also the planet looked simply gorgeous!

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    I love how:
    They had good scientific reason for Alaras weakness, instead of a weird space disease.
    Our current astronaut have same problem, while being on orbit for long periods.

Also the planet looked simply gorgeous!
    Did it make you realize you were
    trash? Did it make you realize your family was trash?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Given the new character are they
    Working towarda a stealth Seinfeld. Reunion?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I liked that episode quite a bit.

The guest cast was unexpected. I had a "Is that...
    Patrick Warburton under the prosthetic makeup?! Lo and behold, it was!

I also appreciated (even if/because I instantly called it)...
    the callback to the Jar of Pickles jokes that was Alara's parting gift for Captain Mercer.

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Going to miss Alara badly. We knew Halston Sage wasn't going to be in all of this season, but I don't remember hearing conclusively if she'd actually left the show... although this did seem pretty final with the extended farewell scene. But, either way, Halston absolutely knocked it out of the park in this episode.

Jazz on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just watched the latest episode and now I am sad.
    That pickle jar just kicked in the feelings

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who thought
    this was easily the worst episode so far?

So much of the narrative is just barely stapled together. They were saved because Ed coincidentally shows up at the right time? Alara leaps out of her chair to subdue the antagonists, even though she could hardly move her legs the day before?

That said, I did enjoy some aspects, like the murder mystery, but there was so much wasted potential. Alara started acting like a detective, which is a great arc to show that she has more gifts than just her strength. But then instead of getting to solve the mystery, she finds one clue before they exposit all over the family.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

So much of the narrative is just barely stapled together. They were saved because Ed coincidentally shows up at the right time? Alara leaps out of her chair to subdue the antagonists, even though she could hardly move her legs the day before?

That said, I did enjoy some aspects, like the murder mystery, but there was so much wasted potential. Alara started acting like a detective, which is a great arc to show that she has more gifts than just her strength. But then instead of getting to solve the mystery, she finds one clue before they exposit all over the family.

It definitely felt like it was hastily stapled together to work with one of the actors wanting out of the show, and the producers wanting to giver her a respectful out (with a potential to return later if circumstances change).
    Worst episode? Maybe, but it was still far and away better than the worst Trek episodes.
    Anyone else wince at the sound Mercer's legs made when his gravity suit failed?

While I don't agree that it was the worst one so far*, I definitely would have liked if Alara had done most of the work from a detective perspective, showing to her father and the rest of the family, that while she might not be a good academic, that doesn't mean she's dumb.

* assuming you mean the entirety of the show, not just this season, cause I REALLY didn't like the Isaac and Doctor family roadtrip, even if I don't mind that dynamic. So much so, that when I did my rewatch, it was the only one I skipped through a lot of.

I'm kinda sad that they ruined the possibility of Mercer having to spend the next week or two in leg casts by earlier in the episode having the Doctor fix Alara's broken arm with a half hour required recovery time.

MorganV wrote: »

While I don't agree that it was the worst one so far*, I definitely would have liked if Alara had done most of the work from a detective perspective, showing to her father and the rest of the family, that while she might not be a good academic, that doesn't mean she's dumb.

* assuming you mean the entirety of the show, not just this season, cause I REALLY didn't like the Isaac and Doctor family roadtrip, even if I don't mind that dynamic. So much so, that when I did my rewatch, it was the only one I skipped through a lot of.

I'm kinda sad that they ruined the possibility of Mercer having to spend the next week or two in leg casts by earlier in the episode having the Doctor fix Alara's broken arm with a half hour required recovery time.
    I know they have super advanced medical tech but I though the quick healing was due to alara like her strength and such

RickRude wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

I know they have super advanced medical tech but I though the quick healing was due to alara like her strength and such
    Possibly? Hope so. Though Gordon's recovery of his missing limb last season makes it seem unlikely.

Hopefully, Mercer has an aversion to that kind of technology. Like Leonard McCoy's inherent fear of transporters in ST:TOS. Because they made a point of him breaking both legs, and because it'd be funny, especially if he's required to get somewhere fast.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Considering how much this show has become Trek (got another Trek actor in the show), once the story turned
    I was in dread of Alara potentially getting randomly killed like Tasha Yar, in order to protect her family. Thoroughly relieved that they had Alara survive and decided to go spend time with her family. Shame to lose the character, but glad she's left in a way that leaves the door wide open for her to return.

I did like the fact that Alara's world generates dysfunction as well, but in a uniquely academic way.

And perhaps most importantly
    EAT SPACE PISTOL, FLOX! I quite enjoyed seeing Alara take him down, even if she probably put the gun on stun once she got it and it was the same actor rather than the same character.

Also, I just realized we had two Star Trek doctors in the same episode, and both were still playing doctors.

The guest Trek actors, along with the rest of the guest actor selection, is what really clinches Orville for me as the most Trek series we've had in ages. It can be hokey now and again, but I appreciate it a thousand times more than trying to crank up the hyperdrama to turn the series into a Game of Subspacethrones.

see317 wrote: »

It definitely felt like it was hastily stapled together to work with one of the actors wanting out of the show, and the producers wanting to giver her a respectful out (with a potential to return later if circumstances change).
    Worst episode? Maybe, but it was still far and away better than the worst Trek episodes.
    Anyone else wince at the sound Mercer's legs made when his gravity suit failed?

Oh, for sure, I don't think any modern show even could dethrone Code of Honor.

It's just a disappointing waste of potential, compared to a really solid show so far. Plus, she was our favorite character

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think we’re all missing the really important message of this episode, which is EAT SHIT ANTI-VAXXERS!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    S2E3
    Alara deciding to return home to spend time with her family felt kinda forced. She'd spent the episode talking about how the Orville meant so much to her and how badly she'd been treated by her family for the past 20 years.

Then she basically chucks her career because her dad gave her a tearful apology after she literally saves his life.

I thought the episode was gonna be about her realizing that she has value as a security officer beyond just her strength. I thought it was going to highlight her reasoning, leadership, and deductive ability. But then the bad guys just reveal themselves to everyone and it mostly turns into a brawl.

It felt a little unclear to me whether it was her people that were anti-military or just her family. I'm kinda left wondering what she intends to do on her planet. I thought the whole reason she left was that she felt like an outcast there. Is she just going to join the local constabulary or... what? She wont be super-strong there.

It kinda felt like an episode that was changed from its original form and re-written to account for her departure.

Also her dad's hostility to the captain seemed a little weird. I've kinda forgotten what the Orville's actual mission is and have just been assuming it's the same as it was for the Enterprise - where they're technically a military vessel and do some military stuff, but mostly they're there for research and exploration - goals which don't seem like they should be so disdainful to Alara's dad. Also his disdain for the "military" in general. Like... does he not see the need for a military and police force? Or is it more a "no daughter of mine" type scenario for him? If it's the former, he seems like a pretty dumb smart person. If it's the latter, it seems pretty irrational for him to believe his daughter is both "not good enough" to do the work he values, but still "too good" to do the work he does not.

RT800 on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I missed another Orville episode.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I think we’re all missing the really important message of this episode, which is EAT SHIT ANTI-VAXXERS!

Well at least the alien scientific community acted faster than ours

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That was a weak stab at an anti-vaxxer episode.

Episode was fine until the reveal, I thought it was going to be a Rear Window homage at first though. That may have even been the idea before Sage decided she wanted out.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    That was a weak stab at an anti-vaxxer episode.

Episode was fine until the reveal, I thought it was going to be a Rear Window homage at first though. That may have even been the idea before Sage decided she wanted out.

Yeah! That's what I thought too when she saw the lights.

It really is like they mashed together three separate scripts with entirely different tones and thesis statements.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    Why didn't buddy just move the shuttle over to the Captain?

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I think while the plot was schmaltzy the guest actors really elevated it.
    anyone kept expecting for the day to be save by a surprise guest appearance by Alexander Siddig or Gates McFadden?

This wrote: »
    Why didn't buddy just move the shuttle over to the Captain?

It probably cant move like that while grounded and lifting off then landing again might take longer than the time he had left

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    I actually quite enjoyed the episode despite a few things like that.

Wasn't too taken with the new security guy though, just kinda seemed like.. we already have Dann?

Wasn't too taken with the new security guy though, just kinda seemed like.. we already have Dann?

I think it was just an excuse to get Warburton on. Iirc Casting rumors imply that someone else is joining in a few episodes to be new security cheif

I'm betting it was just a one-off to get Patrick Warburton on the show. The guy seemed way too deliberately obnoxious to be an ongoing character, he seemed to be there mostly just
    to emphasize to the Orville crew how much better off they had it with Alara.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I just watched the 2nd ep. It seems like they could've fit another ten people in that shuttle. Or was there some mention of weight capacity?

I just watched the 2nd ep. It seems like they could've fit another ten people in that shuttle. Or was there some mention of weight capacity?

Could've fit more people, but they didn't have enough seatbelts. You know how regs can be.

Don't worry, Mercer plans to bring up discussion of an "imminent global destruction and total species death" clause for the next seatbelt committee meeting. He has high hopes of a positive outcome.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

I think it was just an excuse to get Warburton on. Iirc Casting rumors imply that someone else is joining in a few episodes to be new security cheif

I think
    she
    is on next episode.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    I got the sense that
    the episode was originally written before the actress decided to leave, and they just stuck in the new ending. Aside from the “you can just stay on the Orville and train offscreen” solution that gets dropped, the temporary security chief had too few scenes and no conclusion. I think he was originally a larger B plot and they dropped his other scenes to give themselves enough screen time for her departure.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh I am torn
    I actually really liked this episode, but Alara was one of the most interesting characters on the show and it sucks shes gone. Do we know why Sage wanted to leave? I heard it was something to do with Seth maybe

Bucketman wrote: »
    Ugh I am torn
    I actually really liked this episode, but Alara was one of the most interesting characters on the show and it sucks shes gone. Do we know why Sage wanted to leave? I heard it was something to do with Seth maybe

I've heard it was just scheduling conflicts for other projects.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They probably shouldn't have done that joke with the bottle getting crushed since they didn't have the budget to have everything else on the planet fall faster or really do anything else with the heavy gravity.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    They probably shouldn't have done that joke with the bottle getting crushed since they didn't have the budget to have everything else on the planet fall faster or really do anything else with the heavy gravity.

I assumed everything else on the planet was just built to ward off the gravity whereas the bottle was just a standard Earth bottle.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    But everything would still fall at the same speed. If you drop an earth rock on the moon, it would fall slower than on earth due to the lower gravity regardless of the fact that the rock came from earth. If you dropped a rock on the sun, it would fall faster due to the higher gravity.
    So Alara's dad should have fallen much faster when he dropped off the second floor.

KingofMadCows on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    oh my god, current episode
    i was sort of half-watching when the episode took a hard right turn 29 minutes in and i dropped everything to finish it

edit: the Orville and Robert Picardo made me cry :joy:

jdarksun on