As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What the...

Well it's the New Year, which is right about when the Pens start their resurgence. Check the standings...

Pens 2nd place; Flyers dead last. So they basically swapped spots? I am baffled.

8-2 in their last 10 games and #3 goal differential in the league. We're not quite at the midpoint of the season, so a lot remains to be shaken out, but this is pretty nuts.

Also the Winter Classic was a fun watch. And thanks to that game, I also recorded the ND-Mich outdoor hockey game on the same ice, but I haven't watched it yet.

Stadium Series has Pens-Flyers here in Philly this year, but the prices are pretty outrageous so I'll watch it from home.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Gritty continues to Gritty, attacks Flames announcer:

https://youtu.be/i18rnllV-dY

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    What the...

Well it's the New Year, which is right about when the Pens start their resurgence. Check the standings...

Pens 2nd place; Flyers dead last. So they basically swapped spots? I am baffled.

8-2 in their last 10 games and #3 goal differential in the league. We're not quite at the midpoint of the season, so a lot remains to be shaken out, but this is pretty nuts.

Also the Winter Classic was a fun watch. And thanks to that game, I also recorded the ND-Mich outdoor hockey game on the same ice, but I haven't watched it yet.

Stadium Series has Pens-Flyers here in Philly this year, but the prices are pretty outrageous so I'll watch it from home.

Yesterday was actually the exact midpoint of the season for most of the teams. Penguins are now one game past the halfway mark.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just had a look at the standings.

Calgary is at the top of the western Conference?

What?

Maybe I should be watching.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    They’ve finally got good goaltending which was the big thing holding them back last year. Rittich has been maybe the second-best goalie in the league after Gibson

Also the Pacific is maybe the weakest division overall, it’s them, Vegas, and SAN Jose and then the whole thing falls off a cliff

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    That’s neat, Nashville’s Victor Arvidsson and Toronto’s Par Lindholm grew up in the same tiny (pop. 440) town in Sweden and are playing against each other as NHL players for the first time tonight

NHL all-star jerseys this year are made from recovered and recycled ocean plastic. That's a cool gesture.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Let’s take a look in and see how things are going in Colorado, where the Avalanche have won 2 games in the last calendar month.
    Uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Rick Nash has retired because of concussions. Damn
    Why don't we have an "UGH" social option? I'd tap that.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    "Yeah, okay, smartass, and what if you get a major or a game misconduct for obvious rule-lawyering and/or shitheadery?"

Shadowen on
    He could have very easily broken the other players hand, so that horseshit should be punished.

As punishment they should remove him from the All Star game and put Morgan Rielly in instead

edited January 2019
    Did I mention that I love seeing Crosby and Guentzel playing regular shifts on the PK (and now having two short handed goals)

Edit: be ready to start hearing Pittsburgh media takes on why Crosby should get the selke this year. Which is actually not a bad take if he keeps playing pk minutes.

Burtletoy on
    "Get it? Because you're an old shark!"

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I just want him to shave. Even Joe Thornton shaved.

• SaarSaar Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I just want him to shave. Even Joe Thornton shaved.

Boooooooo - urns

I just want to state up front that I feel that fighting in hockey is dumb and has no place in the modern game

that said, seeing domestic abuser Austin Watson get his face punched in two games in a row is pretty dang satisfying. Almost enough to make a guy cheer for Tom Wilson a little bit.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    As punishment they should remove him from the All Star game and put Morgan Rielly in instead

you've got that backwards, going to the all star game *is* the punishment. Not going and getting a 5 day vacation away is a reward.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Well I guess that Leafs game was the Avs one win for the next two weeks again. Getting manhandled by the worst team in the league who has nothing to play for. Sakic, Bednar, someone, has to figure this out.

Hockey is such a beautiful, graceful game

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I’d like to file a missing persons report.

For the Caps.

I've never seen this gif before, but, uhhhh, Phil Kessel is my spirit animal

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    one day my oilers schaudenfreud will abate. i thought it would come with hall's departure... but it lives on. tonight seems especially bad for them:

roenick blasts them in the 2nd intermission:

post-game, hitch stops just short of saying they're chasing games because they don't have the personnel:

chiarelli is not long for this world:

edit: update:

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2019
    Here’s one more from earlier in the night before they finally canned Chiarelli...

Jayricho on

Hello Twitter Police? I'd like to report a murder.

So,,,

when does Anaheim hire Chiarelli?

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So,,,

when does Anaheim hire Chiarelli?

Don’t you put that evil on us

edited January 2019
    Remember how last year, Amanda Kessel beat the time from the NHL all star game in the accuracy contest?

Well, this year they are having Kendall Coyne from the US women's national team in the fastest skater contest, because McKinnon isn't in it.

Appearently her practice run this morning after her 5 hour flight would've beat Hanafin, Werenski, and Bailey's runs last year.

Burtletoy on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh crap, I had no idea the skill competition was tonight, I thought it was tomorrow! Yeesh...

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    She ended up only 1 sec begin the winner McDavid.

50433.png?1708759015
    Based on the results of the Oilers’ team skills competition from a few weeks ago that McDavid skipped she’d be the second-fastest skater on the team after him. Ryan “Eberle for Nothing” Spooner won fastest skater there, and her time last night was better.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bad news for Vancouver fans: Quinn Hughes has kind of sucked this year. I mean he has a lot of points because he's still super talented, but he is a turnover machine because he tries to do way too much.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Brianna Decker apparently posted a better time on the premier passing drill than anyone else, including all the NHL players who participated. Her time was deduced to be 1:06. And she's gettin' paid for it! But not by the NHL.

Shadowen wrote: »
    Brianna Decker apparently posted a better time on the premier passing drill than anyone else, including all the NHL players who participated. Her time was deduced to be 1:06. And she's gettin' paid for it! But not by the NHL.

Aw yeah, Calgary Inferno, represent

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bad news for Vancouver fans: Quinn Hughes has kind of sucked this year. I mean he has a lot of points because he's still super talented, but he is a turnover machine because he tries to do way too much.

dang, you seen some college games?

reports from the juniors were ok and people seem high on him. i think benning wants to get him a look sooner rather than later, so he might pop up for 9 or whatever at the end of the season.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    bsjezz wrote: »

dang, you seen some college games?

reports from the juniors were ok and people seem high on him. i think benning wants to get him a look sooner rather than later, so he might pop up for 9 or whatever at the end of the season.

I'm a Michigan grad, and I watch their games as much as they're on. He was directly responsible for three Penn State goals yesterday by committing just absolutely terrible turnovers.

EDIT: This no look backhand nonsense is infuriating:

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.