As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Marvel Comics Thread Featuring Caving to Neo-Nazis and Wrongful Termination!

19596979899101»

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, where can we take our kinda bad racism allegory next?

Okay what if they actually aren't human?

Perfect.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    One of the things I'm most disappointed about with Secret Wars is that they didn't just quietly drop the whole "Mutants are a different species" thing, because I don't think it works thematically.

I think you could take it a step further and say it torpedoes the entire concept of mutants

Well, yes. I was just trying to be diplomatic.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Man, where can we take our kinda bad racism allegory next?

Okay what if they actually aren't human?

Perfect.

Didn't x- men get legally ruled not human in a toy lawsuit a few years ago in the real world. (It was a critical point in how the toys were legally classified)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Man I am aware that the mutant-racism allegory is not exactly great and has aged poorly

But just abandoning it isn't really a good thing either?

I know a whole bunch of queer folks who have always loved the X-Men, even if they aren't super into comics, specifically because they weren't just regular superheroes who just had to deal with supervillians. They were treated different and persucuted and had to deal with bigotry and hate and overcame it.

There is a reason writers like Vita Ayala and Leah Williams are so excited to get a crack at the X-Men and are so in love with the characters

An imperfect allegory that folks still relate to and identify with is better than just getting rid of it wholesale

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    favorite x-men:

nightcrawler
    dazzler
    maggott
    jubilee
    longshot

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    favorite x-men:

nightcrawler
    dazzler
    maggott
    jubilee
    longshot

With you aside from Maggott

I'd maybe slot Rogue in there

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    how dare you besmirch beautiful baby boy, maggott

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Cypher (Doug Ramsey)
    Monet
    Gold Balls
    Eyeboy
    Danger

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    There is a distinct lack of love here for Iceman and that saddens me. Also Storm.

They and Nightcrawler are pretty high up there on my list. Kitty Pride is too, possibly Colossus or Cyclops rounding out the top 5 for me.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    favorite x-men:

nightcrawler
    dazzler
    maggott
    jubilee
    longshot

Good list.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    There is a distinct lack of love here for Iceman and that saddens me. Also Storm.

They and Nightcrawler are pretty high up there on my list. Kitty Pride is too, possibly Colossus or Cyclops rounding out the top 5 for me.

Yeah if I expanded to a top 10 Iceman and Kitty would be in there.

This discussion has been closed.