As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Also boiling point of water gets a lot higher at higher gravity.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Because of the higher air pressure resulting from a higher gravity, right?

Gravity itself doesn’t affect boiling points in the least, to the best of my understanding.

steam_sig.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Its a different planet. Maybe their atmosphere is magic and physics work different there.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Re: Falling in faster increased gravity:
    Maybe they are stronger, but less dense. The carbon fiber of alien species.

I've been been a Star Trek fan for a very long time. Trust me, I can make up plausible bullcrap to get around silly plot devices as much as any Star Wars or anime fan.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Q did it.

Wait this is Orville...maybe their dude is named X

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Because of the higher air pressure resulting from a higher gravity, right?

Gravity itself doesn’t affect boiling points in the least, to the best of my understanding.

Gravity doesn't affect boiling points very much, but if you double the pressure around water, its boiling point will increase 20 C.

However, a heavy gravity planet doesn't need to have as high an atmosphere as earths. If you tripled the surface gravity, you could just have 1/3 the thickness of atmosphere and you'd get exactly the same pressure at the surface.

In fact, I would expect that a heavy gravity world whose atmosphere was also very dense would lead to people living there who couldn't breathe in 1 bar of pressure. Their lungs would be adapted for the ease of extracting O2 from very dense air, and as such would be much smaller. So Alara from High Gravity, High Pressure world would only be super strong in high pressure + low gravity (where her lungs would work right, but everything would seem light), otherwise she'd be gasping for air.

High Gravity Normal Pressure would explain super strength in Normal Gravity Normal Pressure even better. Because her lungs and respiratory system would have to be absurdly efficient to get enough 02 from the air to support work and motion in the high gravity, as such, with normal pressure and normal gravity not only would her muscles be able to do the lifting easily, she also would almost never get tired, because her respiratory system would be able to deliver vastly more O2 than needed for the work she was doing.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    s
    But everything would still fall at the same speed. If you drop an earth rock on the moon, it would fall slower than on earth due to the lower gravity regardless of the fact that the rock came from earth. If you dropped a rock on the sun, it would fall faster due to the higher gravity.
    So Alara's dad should have fallen much faster when he dropped off the second floor.

I got this-
    Hey true believers Stan the man here!
    Because of the gravity of the situation your fearless leader wants to explain that for your sensitive eyes we made all the gravity seem like your everyday earth! If it was all falling faster you'd miss it!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    s
    But everything would still fall at the same speed. If you drop an earth rock on the moon, it would fall slower than on earth due to the lower gravity regardless of the fact that the rock came from earth. If you dropped a rock on the sun, it would fall faster due to the higher gravity.
    So Alara's dad should have fallen much faster when he dropped off the second floor.

I got this-
    Hey true believers Stan the man here!
    Because of the gravity of the situation your fearless leader wants to explain that for your sensitive eyes we made all the gravity seem like your everyday earth! If it was all falling faster you'd miss it!

Your No-Prize is in the mail.

MorganV wrote: »
    So... anyone wanting to take the odds that the new dark matter cartographer is...
    Seriously, this could be a massive spoiler if I'm right.
    Last warning!
    ... the Krill teacher from the episode where Mercer and Gordon go undercover to get the Krill bible?

Specifically after she breaks Gordon's heart (not too far away, based on the end of the last episode), and then Mercer's, when the betrayal happens.

Cause it's the same actress, it makes a logical sense (it's a reversal of the undercover, and she did seem pretty vengeful), and if you aren't aware it's the same actress, could be a good twist.

@MorganV , so do we mail you your internet points, or is there a digital option we can use?
    Cause that was a pretty close guess.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    There is a youtube channel called Egotastic Funtime that geeks out on Orville that called the twist in this episode at least a month ago, so I was kinda disappointed it turned out to be true.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I knew those mesmerizing blue eyes were just unnatural. Unnatural I say!
    I had no idea and the two versions do not look anything alike.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Sometimes I find the show pretty eye-roll-inducing but I keep watching because just enough the time we get episodes like this. Really good Star Trekky episodes but with a decent amount of comedy.

I really liked the Rorschach test stuff. Might have been a reason to have the doc in the episode but it was a good gag.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So I thought the girl Gordon got a date with looked familiar and after looking her up I find that she was Stupid Tall Hot Girl(or Riley) on the Webseries the Guild.

Michele Boyd for reference, though she has dyed her hair blonde since then.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    The end of this is pretty dark given what we know of the Krill
    They'll either torture or kill her right?

The end of this is pretty dark given what we know of the Krill
    They'll either torture or kill her right?
    Or promote her for having gone amongst the heathens and returned with her faith intact.
    I mean, she got a promotion for being the last survivor on that ship, and was elevated to the point where she was helping plan a high level infiltration and espionage mission. I'd guess that her having been caught, but somehow not executed, tortured or interrogated may be something in her favor, especially if she passes off the recordings she got as an important document.

I'd think that, had she expected to return home only to be tortured and executed, she would have mentioned it at some point during her incarceration. Probably played it as a card to get some useful information, "...unless I have something useful for my superiors, something worth sparing my life... something like the command codes." I mean, she clearly knows how to play the captain's emotions, I'm surprised she didn't try that.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That was a really good episode. And the exact blend of good sci-fi and comedy that is the reason I keep watching the show.

Minor ending spoilers:
    Something about the combination of the slow melody of Billy Joel "She's always a woman", the slow deliberate ending scenes, and the sadness on Captain Mercer's face tugged hard at the old heartstrings.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    That was a really good episode. And the exact blend of good sci-fi and comedy that is the reason I keep watching the show.

Minor ending spoilers:
    Something about the combination of the slow melody of Billy Joel "She's always a woman", the slow deliberate ending scenes, and the sadness on Captain Mercer's face tugged hard at the old heartstrings.
    Especially crushing considering how happy he looked at the beginning of the episode.
    I'm sure a considerable number of people here have been in happy relationships only to realize that the person wasn't who they thought they were.
    Presumably, far fewer had that person turn out to be a literal alien lizard spy, but it's still a pretty universal experience otherwise.

I do like that the Union is taking information security a bit more seriously than the Federation though.
    At least, I don't think the Federation ever set up a set of fake codes that would feed false news to anyone who got into the system using them, seems like a logical step if you're worried about your crew getting captured and interrogated. Give them information that looks real to give up.
    I wonder if they set up some kind of virus that would download itself to any system using the fake codes. Could do all kinds of interesting things with that vector of counter attack.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    In random news Scott Grimes and the Captain's ex just got engaged in real life.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Which ex, though?

sig.gif
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Which ex, though?

The second in command ex.

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    She's gonna come back pregnant, isn't she?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So some Discovery fans have pointed out that
    the Krill underwent an painful procedure to be altered to look human so she could infiltrate an Union ship to steal its secrets, she has a romantic relationship with the main character, and her undercover name was Lieutenant Tyler.

the Krill underwent an painful procedure to be altered to look human so she could infiltrate an Union ship to steal its secrets, she has a romantic relationship with the main character, and her undercover name was Lieutenant Tyler.

For those of us (maybe just me) who haven't watched Discovery, can you expand on the spoiler?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

For those of us (maybe just me) who haven't watched Discovery, can you expand on the spoiler?
    Okay super big spoilers for Disco
    LT named Tyler on the show gets rescued from Klingon Prison. Develops as love interest for main character. Turns out he is actually a Klingon who was surgically alterted to look human, but in Disco's case he had a human's memories placed over his own more as a sleeper agent. The Tyler in Orville knew what she was doing the whole time.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I loved how the Krill beacon/transmitter very obviously just had a smartphone with blank bezels crudely stuck on the ends as a control panel. :lol:

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I loved how the Krill beacon/transmitter very obviously just had a smartphone with blank bezels crudely stuck on the ends as a control panel. :lol:

Part of why I like this show.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Who the hell picks Taxi Driver as a date movie?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Who the hell picks Taxi Driver as a date movie?
    He's more eager as a nerd to show off his stuff than anything else. Also, they've gone on something like 20 dates (assuming one movie per date), so they were in an established relationship.

sig.gif
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    As much as I enjoy Orville. They do ride the "we in the future love 'history' aka recent stuff" trope pretty hard

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    It’s basically identical to Star Trek’s obsession with classical music, shakespeare, and victorian/eduardian literature...

which doesn’t excuse it, I am mildly annoyed by both

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    VoodooV wrote: »
    As much as I enjoy Orville. They do ride the "we in the future love 'history' aka recent stuff" trope pretty hard

i wouldn't call the King and I "recent stuff".

That has to be something Seth just likes. The King and I was a major plot point in a Season 1 episode of family guy

That has to be something Seth just likes. The King and I was a major plot point in a Season 1 episode of family guy

I mean it's a safe bet that Seth's in to it and most musicals but i'm sure it's also because Fox owns the rights and that makes it easier to incorporate in to an episode.

It’s basically identical to Star Trek’s obsession with classical music, shakespeare, and victorian/eduardian literature...

They really should have gone the B5 route and made up future media stars to reference that nobody today would understand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMKHf0WM98

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

I actually think it's a hilarious send up of that aspect of TNG. Like why do Picard and folks like the "classic" literature and music with no real effort towards dreaming up future music and media?

edited January 2019
    Sleep wrote: »

I actually think it's a hilarious send up of that aspect of TNG. Like why do Picard and folks like the "classic" literature and music with no real effort towards dreaming up future music and media?

yeah, i don't think anyone actually wants that:
    https://youtu.be/d1J7702SHxA

B5 gets it, in that you never actually show the act or play the music because nothing you can make up in a tv show will meet the expectations.

DanHibiki on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    This reminded me of the entertainment media you'd occasionally find in the Mass Effect games. Blasto the hanar Spectre ("enkindle this!"), of course, elcor Hamlet ("an unforgettable fourteen hour experience!"), and the "movies" with incredibly (and deliberately) poor acting and production values, like two actors being super stilted in front of a static backdrop, like Fleet and Flotilla. That was a terrific and often under-appreciated little aspect of the world-building.

Sleep wrote: »

To be fair, a lot of classical literature is still being rehashed and remade today. I mean, how many versions of The Three Musketeers have you seen? Romeo and Juliet?
    It seems likely that these classics will continue being remade alongside newer works as time moves on, finding a new audience with every iteration, some of which will inevitably search for earlier versions until they find the original.
    It's not like the works of Shakespeare are going to vanish off the face of the planet, and it seems likely that the themes of the classic works will remain just as valid in the future as they are today. And, just like today, you'll have a handful of space weebs who will always insist that the original version is the only one worth knowing and disavow any of the later remixes.

Of course, that says nothing about how hard dreaming up an entirely new, futuristic music genre is. And, the moment you do so, can it really be considered "future music"? It exists now. Even if you make it intentionally awful, someone somewhere will like it and duplicate the style. The other option is to just make up a random artist/song name up and only reference it in passing with no effort made to flushing out what Sr. Winklyknob III's 2256 Venusian Concerto actually sounds like, and that's going to be marked as lazy writing just as quickly as "Classical Beastie Boys" is.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    see317 wrote: »

They really should have gone the B5 route and made up future media stars to reference that nobody today would understand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMKHf0WM98

B5 also did the modern stuff too though. Garibaldi was a fan of Looney Tunes, noir detectives, and slugthrowers (aka regular ass guns). He and Lennier built a Kawasaki Ninja.

It's a way to get the audience to relate to someone, though in B5's defense at least it wasn't the captain in that case.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I kinda hate when a story strays too far from relatable references and goes crazy with its made-up shit.

Like in High Fantasy novels where they start talking about how the Quish of Tribacia arrived in Ulfmaria riding her Golatt and wearing the finest noroclast to treat with the Nooleans and their Smarf.

Like...

...what?

RT800 on