As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
That there internet in the sky can now deliver TV shows and movies to your home whenever you'd like.

I know! Sounds crazy. Probably a fad, I think, and nothing will ever replace the vital beating heart of every urban environment that is the Blockbuster video store. But still, talk about this latest trend and its inevitable imminent collapse here.

The Punisher is out now, or soon, so talk about how that was alright you guess but too long and there were episodes where nothing seemed to happen and jeez Netflix sort your pacing issues out.

Bogart on

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I thought the way they handled the Snap was pretty respectful but honestly I could have done without the scenes in Heaven and Hell. Like, I get that Frank is an "antihero" but it felt like something from Good Omens.

EDIT: Oh, and EPISODE 9 SPOILERS
    was all that stuff with the apricots supposed to imply that the Netflix shows are part of the Deadpool franchise now? Because if so...

Diplominator on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The past few Netflix shows I've watched have felt like they ended with their wheels still spinning.

Which is... kind of annoying.

Maybe I'm just getting old and impatient, but I find myself wishing more shows would just tell their story and move on instead of stuffing themselves with filler or contriving hooks for the "next season" before that next season is even guaranteed.

There's a difference between ending a season with room to grow and ending one that just feels unfinished.

RT800 on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I wonder how the experiment of Netflix Marvel will be seen in 10-20 years. Will anyone still be watching it? Although I assume by then if Netflix still exists the UI will have evolved to be so bad you cannot actually choose what to watch

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Hey Netflix, let’s maybe not auto play the trailer that’s first line is something about mastubation. Sex Education looks like an interesting movie, but I really don’t need that every time I open the app.

The auto-play thing in general is kinda annoying.

Usually I just wanna read the description, but the minute I mouse over the thumbnail the description fades and the trailer starts playing.

Why even put a description in the thumbnail if it's just gonna disappear when you try to read it?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Usually I just wanna read the description, but the minute I mouse over the thumbnail the description fades and the trailer starts playing.

Why even put a description in the thumbnail if it's just gonna disappear when you try to read it?

even worse on consoles, rokus, apple TVs, where you dont even need to hover; you open netflix and you re getting hit with a trailer.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Auto play itself doesn’t bother me, I’ve actually found some good shows/movies that way. They just gotta be selective about what they are, you never know when someone’s kid/parent/anyone else you don’t want to have an awkward sexual conversation with is in the room.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't think the autoplay junk has gotten me to do anything but automatically thumbs down stuff. I've tried a whole pile of Netflix material based on word of mouth or by just having it show up in as a new Netflix item. In fact, the autoplay stuff tends to be worse than useless for me because Netflix loves to dice up the material badly and add unrelated music, so what the autoplay trailer shows often doesn't even end up matching the actual show or movie.

The descriptions do a MUCH better job of giving me useful info, without being a pushy commercial.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Looks like NBCUniversal is going to create a streaming service in 2020 (they want it up before the Tokyo Olympics), with the catch being it will be ad based streaming and come free with your Comcast cable and such.

And while they own 30% of Hulu, it sounds like they'll wind it down/wait for a Disney buyout and then try and put their movies and shows on this new service, which could be solid all with the Universal titles. I guess this means more than anything all those NBC shows on Netflix might disappear soon.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Watched the Solo movie this morning. The actor that played Han made me immediately think of Bill Hader, and I couldn't stop my brain from wishing they did get him to be Han. Of course it wouldn't have made any sense for him to play Han, but it couldn't have made it any worse.

Regarding Auto play, I hate it and it has gotten me to skip over something 99 times out of 100. If I am looking for something new to watch and I see something I might be interested in I will stop the selection cursor on it to read the description and/or see who was involved with it. As soon as the random scenes from the program start playing something in my brain makes me immediately nope out and go to the next thing only for it to repeat until I find myself scrolling for a half hour before I give up and go play a game or something. At this point, if I don't know exactly what I want to watch on netflix before I turn it on I find myself turning it off before I find something to watch at least 75% of the time.

Veevee on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    That seems so weird to me.

Would I rather have the option to read the description OR watch a trailer? Sure. But it's not like it's playing some random ad at you. It's the thing you're thinking about watching. I will totally nope out of a website that drops ads all over me, or not watch a youtube video if I have to sit through an ad first, but I think the only negative reaction I've ever had to Netflix auto-play was to think, "Whoops! Loud!" and turn down the volume...

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I don't particularly want stuff autoplaying at me without any way to disable it on a service I'm paying monthly for.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I guess it's just never even occurred to me to be annoyed by it.
    My cable box plays whatever at me when I turn it on and go hunting through my DVR menu, and that's generally not even anything relevant to what I'm trying to watch.

The only time I can explicitly recall having any sort of emotional reaction to Netflix auto-play was when I was drunk one night looking for something to watch and was disappointed at how many horror movies didn't have an auto-playing trailer as I scrolled through the list.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for being annoyed by it. To each their own and all that. All the streaming service UIs are pretty awful.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, I'm not saying it's a fully rational reaction, but I just do not like having a service I already pay money for trying to convince me to watch something I'm already considering watching. Just let me make up my own mind, and if I need the trailer to decide I will let Netflix know.

Best way I can explain it is that it feels like an aggressive car salesman trying to push me into buying something I don't want just because I happened to look at the car while walking down the street.

Veevee on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That seems so weird to me.

Would I rather have the option to read the description OR watch a trailer? Sure. But it's not like it's playing some random ad at you. It's the thing you're thinking about watching. I will totally nope out of a website that drops ads all over me, or not watch a youtube video if I have to sit through an ad first, but I think the only negative reaction I've ever had to Netflix auto-play was to think, "Whoops! Loud!" and turn down the volume...

Well, that or it's the thing I simply hovered over long enough to try and decide if I was even thinking about thinking about watching it. Or simply the thing I was scrolling past when I stopped to scratch my ass. Auto-play trailers are poop.

mcdermott on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I don’t watch trailers if I know I’m going to watch the thing the trailer is for, so auto-play is a nightmare

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Autoplay mostly doesnt bother me, but thats probably because I have them muted when browsing from a computer and I mostly move fast enough to avoid them when browsing from my tv.

They really should let you mute them though, I dont know why thats a web locked option.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Hey Netflix, let’s maybe not auto play the trailer that’s first line is something about mastubation. Sex Education looks like an interesting movie, but I really don’t need that every time I open the app.

The auto play is really, really annoying. But...

I just finished Sex Education and I am in love with it. I had the same thought as you, it looked like a movie. It is an 8 episode British comedy series that I want to live inside. I love all the characters, even the bullies. It's funny, and earnest, and the music is awesome. The main character is different than most sex comedies in that he isn't a sex maniac, he's actually quite repressed and sad. He's perfect. It's a show about sex that is just so warm and positive.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Netflix has been doing something unusual with its original programming that I only just noticed this weekend.

Whenever a particularly interesting or dramatic scene finishes, a pop-up box appears asking if I want to watch it again. I noticed it at least once during an Ellen DeGeneres standup with a visual joke, and again in a movie called "Dumplin'" that featured some singing/dancing.

I guess it's for people who are only half-watching, so when there's suddenly a huge burst of laughter they can look up and immediately rewind back to the joke? In any case, it's really off-putting.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    I would have less issue with Autoplaying the trailer if it waited slightly longer before kicking in. it makes scrolling through a bunch of stuff more annoying than it needs to be (when I don't scroll quite fast enough to avoid it)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

even worse on consoles, rokus, apple TVs, where you dont even need to hover; you open netflix and you re getting hit with a trailer.

I HATE IT SO MUCH

PLZ NETFLIX

PLZ

Y'all someone tell me about these Fyre docs coming out

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just finished Bojack Horseman season 3.

Jesus Fucking Christ. And I thought I was a nihilist. I need to go hug someone.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm watching the Reputation concert (SHUT UP, TAY-TAY IS MY JAM) and i just noticed the "Replay that song?" option. It's a neat concept, I guess, but honestly it's mostly annoying.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, I don't know if HBO counts as a streaming thing just because I happen to watch it via Hulu, but I want to take a moment to mention that Sharp Objects is completely amazing and Amy Adams should be in all the things and also Adora is one of the most genuinely terrifying characters I've ever seen. I can't recommend this show highly enough.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Y'all someone tell me about these Fyre docs coming out

One is on Hulu and is releasing a few days before the other one which is one Netflix

So far nobody knows which is the Deep Impact and which is the Armageddon

Which is the Bug’s Life and which is Antz

It’s entirely possible they’re both good and we get a Prestige/Illusionist situation

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    LostNinja wrote: »

The auto play is really, really annoying. But...

I just finished Sex Education and I am in love with it. I had the same thought as you, it looked like a movie. It is an 8 episode British comedy series that I want to live inside. I love all the characters, even the bullies. It's funny, and earnest, and the music is awesome. The main character is different than most sex comedies in that he isn't a sex maniac, he's actually quite repressed and sad. He's perfect. It's a show about sex that is just so warm and positive.

That's great and all, but I really don't need to hear "I noticed you're pretending to masturbate" every single time I start netflix.

You know you can mute the autoplays right

And it stays that way

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

And it stays that way

For some reason the windows netflix app turns off my PC's sound control and is only contollable over the reciever the PC and TV are hooked into. Which means the autoplay ignores the mute button.

The App is pretty shite im comparison to the browser version anyway. Way less and worse sorting options. There isn't even a tab for newly added stuff or my list. It's all over the place. I only use it because the picture quality is better than than the browser version.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Netflix is bumping up the price of their subscription by roughly 2 bucks for the middle and upper tier service, now 13 and 16 bucks respectively.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

And it stays that way

You know that not all apps have the mute option right

50433.png?1708759015

And it stays that way

On the Xbox app? Please tell me how cause I haven't found it

And it stays that way

I have not been able to find it on the roku app, can you help me out?

I'll give you 500 internet fun bucks if you do.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Really liking Letterkenny on Hulu, butna cursory search makes it look like I’m 3 years behind on that. 🙃

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    Sorry, all I have is the iOS app.

I was getting autoplays a few weeks ago and I noticed there was a mute button on them so I clicked it.

But last time I checked the app I didn’t have any autoplays on screen

I just assumed all the versions of the app would be similar

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Why does Netflx sometimes just take really boring stills of the movies on the streaming service and slap the movie’s name on when you’re looking through Netflix’s library?

I saw Watchmen but didn’t believe it was Watchmen because it looked like a bibleman villain stepping down some stairs. The Thomas Jayne Punisher is also just like Frank with some tropical trees in the back.

Kadoken on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why does Netflx sometimes just take really boring stills of the movies on the streaming service and slap the movie’s name on when you’re looking through Netflix’s library?

I saw Watchmen but didn’t believe it was Watchmen because it looked like a bibleman villain stepping down some stairs. The Thomas Jayne Punisher is also just like Frank with some tropical trees in the back.

This would basically be my dream job.

Netflix, if you're listening. I can do this. I was meant to do this.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I don't particularly want stuff autoplaying at me without any way to disable it on a service I'm paying monthly for.

Which is basically a way of saying "I don't want stuff autoplaying at me without any way to disable it period but I'm willing to eat a little shit if you are giving me stuff for free".

But then again, everything I know about how and why Netflix works the way it does is suggests that it's not for people like us. The target demo are strange people who just randomly watch whatever. The channel surfers haven't gone away, they've just changed how they surf.

edited January 2019
    For all the complaints I may have about Netflix, they're still the most reliable and easy-to-navigate streaming platform I've come across.

I recently checked out Amazon Prime video and that shit just seems like it's all over the place.

RT800 on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    For all the complaints I may have about Netflix, they're still the most reliable and easy-to-navigate streaming platform I've come across.

I recently checked out Amazon Prime video and that shit just seems like it's all over the place.

When I had a free trial, I tried using Amazon Prime Video and it was a confusing clusterfuck.

This discussion has been closed.