As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Episode IX: The Rise of the Speculation

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Only if the OT werent star wars movies.

But part of that is kind of unavoidable. The OT is a pretty direct commentary/reconstruction of the classic space serial. Its got swords and space ships and space wizards and an all powerful force which directly drives the plot, determines the villains and heroes, and saves the day. Obi-wan, in his final exhortation to Luke tells him "Use the Plot Armor Luke, You're the hero; let yourself be the hero"

Its would be pretty impossible to make a star wars movie that has force users in it without it being a commentary/reconstruction of the OT. Because a star wars movie is a direct commentary on that but has also become that and taken over that mantle.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Been going back and fourth but I'm more than confident in casting my chips in the "The Last Jedi was awesome" camp.

After re-watching the complete fan-service that was Force Awakens (still fun!) I'm glad TLJ is the movie we got. I'll take that version of Luke over anything that could have been. And Kylo and Rey are MVP and I want them to kiss and rule the Galaxy.

The interesting thing to me is that both TFA and TLJ are love-letters to the OT but in completely different ways. Abrams shows his love via a ridiculous to the point of occasionally being counter-productive devotion to recreating bits from the OT. TFA is a film that's trying to be like a mirror of ANH, showing you the same thing again in the new setting. Johnson has allusions to elements of ESB and ROTJ but he mixes them up and often goes off on his own tangents. The love for the OT is really in the themes and ideas of the movie itself right up to the very last scene which is basically as direct a love-letter to the very brand being used as I've ever seen on film.

That last scene was such a perfect sendoff to the franchise as a whole that it actually felt out of place in the middle of a trilogy.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    As far as time is concerned, the OT definitely felt like a long time passed between movies, if not during them.

Luke is a lot bigger is a deal and Solo is giving orders too rebellion officers in-between ANH and ESB. Then he goes to super Ninja Jedi in-between ESB and ROTJ.

I also don't like how the sequels go directly into one another. I would have preferred our heroes some time to breath and level up, like resting at the inn.

I don't know how you'd do that with Luke unless you made Rey live alone for months and train on her own or something. But that's pretty much what she does anyway I mean Luke didn't show her how to use a lightsaber.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    No one shows luke how to use a lightsaber either.

If anything should clue you into how fast things move. In ESB people are busy ignoring Han and then then he is a General one second after being unfrozen :p

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Been going back and fourth but I'm more than confident in casting my chips in the "The Last Jedi was awesome" camp.

After re-watching the complete fan-service that was Force Awakens (still fun!) I'm glad TLJ is the movie we got. I'll take that version of Luke over anything that could have been. And Kylo and Rey are MVP and I want them to kiss and rule the Galaxy.

The interesting thing to me is that both TFA and TLJ are love-letters to the OT but in completely different ways. Abrams shows his love via a ridiculous to the point of occasionally being counter-productive devotion to recreating bits from the OT. TFA is a film that's trying to be like a mirror of ANH, showing you the same thing again in the new setting. Johnson has allusions to elements of ESB and ROTJ but he mixes them up and often goes off on his own tangents. The love for the OT is really in the themes and ideas of the movie itself right up to the very last scene which is basically as direct a love-letter to the very brand being used as I've ever seen on film.

That last scene was such a perfect sendoff to the franchise as a whole that it actually felt out of place in the middle of a trilogy.

I think TLJ itself feels more like the end of a pilot to a huge franchise then it does the middle of a trilogy. It basically sets up and defines the conflict that could sustain tons of movies and shows and all that bullshit.

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    As far as time is concerned, the OT definitely felt like a long time passed between movies, if not during them.

Luke is a lot bigger is a deal and Solo is giving orders too rebellion officers in-between ANH and ESB. Then he goes to super Ninja Jedi in-between ESB and ROTJ.

I also don't like how the sequels go directly into one another. I would have preferred our heroes some time to breath and level up, like resting at the inn.

I don't know how you'd do that with Luke unless you made Rey live alone for months and train on her own or something. But that's pretty much what she does anyway I mean Luke didn't show her how to use a lightsaber.

You could have had a jump of a few months up to a year between TFA and TLJ; just start the movie in the middle of Luke training Rey. I don't think that would have been too jarring. But they decided to tell a different story.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    sullijo wrote: »

You could have had a jump of a few months up to a year between TFA and TLJ; just start the movie in the middle of Luke training Rey. I don't think that would have been too jarring. But they decided to tell a different story.

You're right and I think it'd gut the point that you don't need Jedi training to use the force would be completely lost.

I hope they keep Rey a nobody too.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Star Wars to Empire is easy to put a big gap in, since they’ve built a new base, although it hasn’t been for very long.

Empire to Jedi gets a little more nebulous. It would seem like Luke and friends go after Han right away, since he apparently doesn’t have time to go back to Yoda until after that.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    So I saw Solo, which has the distinction of being the only Star Wars I haven't seen on the big screen.

I didn't hate it. It's cleanly the worst movie since Disney bought the rights but I enjoyed it more on first viewing then the prequels.

It's got things to like: Lando is pretty great and impeccably cast, Qira is pretty good at being someone who could both be with Han and isn't a Leia clone - but the part like much of the movie is underwritten. Woody is pretty good as well.

Anytime the movie wanders into prequel "hey you remember this" or does the thing with his name it is at it's worse. The marauders being more then just that could have worked but who they end up being wanders into eye rolling territory.

The movie seems to be both desperate to dangle threads for a sequel but in an absolute rush to check off all the trademark Han boxes to the detriment of the movies pacing and coherence.

Chewie is the biggest through line to the later movies and doesn't have to overcome the hurdle of being "recast" and they do next to fucking nothing with him. They would have been better off with a slightly younger Han working with a different wookie and committing to the idea that a person's entire biography doesn't get filled out in like a week.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Chewbacca being hundreds of years old or whatever is so, goddamn, stupid.

He doesn't remember Yoda? He doesn't make any comments that Obi Wan was a hero in the Clone Wars?

It's almost as bad as the Solo name reveal. We couldn't have just been okay that he made up that name because he works alone until he met Chewbacca?

God, and they robbed Leia of the detonator bluff.

Okay I keep thinking I liked Solo to th r point it didn't personally insult me, but the more I think about it the less I like it.

• Options
    Chewbacca being hundreds of years old or whatever is so, goddamn, stupid.

He doesn't remember Yoda? He doesn't make any comments that Obi Wan was a hero in the Clone Wars?

It's almost as bad as the Solo name reveal. We couldn't have just been okay that he made up that name because he works alone until he met Chewbacca?

God, and they robbed Leia of the detonator bluff.

Okay I keep thinking I liked Solo to th r point it didn't personally insult me, but the more I think about it the less I like it.

I like Wookies/Chewie being long lived because it colors relationships like the one he has with Han and makes the universe just a tiny bit less human centric.

Honestly holding the prequels to the level of esteem you do is the problem since all of those issues are ones George Lucas created with bad writing and since they didn't Legends treatment (bringing back what they like/works) the prequels I'll never hold it against a writer pretending like the movies didn't happen.

I don't think the detonator bluff is robbed because the fact that Leia A) had a thermal detonator B) that it worked kinda just shows the difference between them.

The thing I admire most about the movie is that it's the movie that comes closest to having a tone that's different then the OT.

Like rewrite the Marauders sub plot and it's just a heist movie with personal stakes where no one accidentally wanders into a galatic conflict.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Time passes at a different rate on Ach Too so Rey was actually training for years or something. Might be a good place to stop worrying about realistic physics in the space wizards vs space nazis movies?
    On “realistic” conceptions of what training is for a space wizard

"Consistent."

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Time passes at a different rate on Ach Too so Rey was actually training for years or something. Might be a good place to stop worrying about realistic physics in the space wizards vs space nazis movies?
    On “realistic” conceptions of what training is for a space wizard

"Consistent."

The idea is "warrior space monk" so some sort of mindfulness and meditation training paired with martial training and philosophical under pinnings - basically like what Luke and Anakin both got.

It doesn't have to last year's but something more then spontaneous self teaching and three days if instruction would feel like more of an arc/journey.

I love TLJ but I feel most of it's issues come from pacing and scale.

The story/character beats and setpiecee save one all work.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Star Wars to Empire is easy to put a big gap in, since they’ve built a new base, although it hasn’t been for very long.

Empire to Jedi gets a little more nebulous. It would seem like Luke and friends go after Han right away, since he apparently doesn’t have time to go back to Yoda until after that.

On the other hand, Lando's had time to infiltrate Jabba's palace so fully that unlike Leia, he wasn't caught.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    according to Wookie, Empire is 3 ABY, Jedi is 4ABY

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The ANH to Empire time skip works because of the implied time with the dialog. Han mentions that he has to pay off Jabba because of the bounty hunter they met on whatever planet between both movies.

So both the bounty hunter and the reaction to the hunter implies a non-specific amount of time, but also not a brief skip either.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ord Mantell

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The ANH to Empire time skip works because of the implied time with the dialog. Han mentions that he has to pay off Jabba because of the bounty hunter they met on whatever planet between both movies.

So both the bounty hunter and the reaction to the hunter implies a non-specific amount of time, but also not a brief skip either.

I always interpreted that Hoth base was constructed between ANH and ESB, and I know that takes a little bit of time. Maybe between 2-6 weeks. Is there a definitive “canon” time lapse between the movies? I’m not saying there should be, just curious.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

Oh I missed your post prior to writing mine. My bad. Also in between Empire and Jedi Luke has to order a new Lightsaber from space Amazon. Not one of those cheap ones either!

Actually in the EU Legends the time gap between those movies is filled by one of my favorite multimedia properties: Shados of the Empire. I played the shit out to that game on the N64, even going as far as beating the game on “Jedi” mode. The novel tie-in was pretty good too iirc, though I don’t remember most of the plot points now it’s been so long.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

On the other hand, Lando's had time to infiltrate Jabba's palace so fully that unlike Leia, he wasn't caught.

Leia's chief objective is clearly to get Han out of the carbonite.

If she absconds with him, then Lando and the droids are there to help get Chewy out asap.

If shes caught, Luke walks in the front door and you get the plan we saw.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Ah, Shadows of the Empire...

Sexy Lizard Man with his space pheromones tries to seduce Leia. He also has a fembot assasin droid/sexbot.

Dash Rendar is in it, too.

The two things I liked about Shadows was the soundtrack they released for it, and the moment when Luke finally “figures out” the Force.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Sexy Lizard Man with his space pheromones tries to seduce Leia. He also has a fembot assasin droid/sexbot.

The two things I liked about Shadows was the soundtrack they released for it, and the moment when Luke finally “figures out” the Force.

Yeah, the novel was pretty... Yuck. My biggest gripe was that the author had chapters where we could read Vader's thoughts. While Vader's arc was obviously common knowledge by that point, the drama really only works if he remains a faceless, inscrutable entity. Once we know what he's thinking and feeling, the mask loses its purpose.

• Options
    Isn't there a whole scene where Leia is practicing gymnastics in her suite and then showers in the dark in case Xizor is watching her?

Oh, man, I love pheromone related stories.

Dash Rendar, basically Han Solo, but cooler and better in every way.

Okay, no. I still like it.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The novel tie-in was pretty good too iirc, though I don’t remember most of the plot points now it’s been so long.
    /feels Shadow of the Empire being complimented in the distance, comes running.

The novel was terrible, but as a young kid I could see why some liked it. Dash Rendar was better than Luke and Han at everything and I squee'd when the Outrider might've been destroyed by the asteroid.
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Yeah, the novel was pretty... Yuck. My biggest gripe was that the author had chapters where we could read Vader's thoughts. While Vader's arc was obviously common knowledge by that point, the drama really only works if he remains a faceless, inscrutable entity. Once we know what he's thinking and feeling, the mask loses its purpose.

Correct and also not the only issue with the novel, but another one. The novel giving the impression Xizor could stand against Vader and possibly win was nutty. Also, Black Sun outta nowhere. Super powerful, super important, etc.

I'm convinced Rendar was an author self-insert.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

It's a much better game than it is a book.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Man, it really has been a long time then because I don't remember any of that. The scenes that stuck with me were Luke feeling the Force pull his body where it needed to be in order to deflect blaster bolts, and that there was some kind of relaxation/workout machine where you could just lie down and get a work out in. That's still my impossible dream...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Man, it really has been a long time then because I don't remember any of that. The scenes that stuck with me were Luke feeling the Force pull his body where it needed to be in order to deflect blaster bolts, and that there was some kind of relaxation/workout machine where you could just lie down and get a work out in. That's still my impossible dream...

I remember Luke contemplating whether it was ok to use the Force to avoid smelling poop.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't remember a lot from the original Thrawn trilogy either, aside from the vague perception that I loved it. Rereading it I think it's perfectly serviceable schlock, though I'm not at all impressed with how Zahn wrote Leia's character. Specifically she seems to react to everything with the same manner that she talks to Luke in Jedi when he tells her the truth before confronting Vader: where she has her hair down and speaks softly in a very caring and sympathetic manner. I mean that's part of her character but not the only part. The other thing that's annoying is the all the painfully obvious nods to the movies. "Oh, lets meet up at Endor. That's a great spot. Remember there was a second Death Star there, and Vader threw the Empire down some incredibly deep shaft until he exploded? I bet... Yep! I found the spot where he died. He was full of Dark side energy. Remember that?"

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

I remember Luke contemplating whether it was ok to use the Force to avoid smelling poop.

"Once you step in that dark path, forever will it dominate your olfactory!" - Yoda, probably

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

It's a rare book that has no redeeming qualities or good parts.

Other than Atlas Shrugged, of course.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    The novel tie-in was pretty good too iirc, though I don’t remember most of the plot points now it’s been so long.
    /feels Shadow of the Empire being complimented in the distance, comes running.

The novel was terrible, but as a young kid I could see why some liked it. Dash Rendar was better than Luke and Han at everything and I squee'd when the Outrider might've been destroyed by the asteroid.

Correct and also not the only issue with the novel, but another one. The novel giving the impression Xizor could stand against Vader and possibly win was nutty. Also, Black Sun outta nowhere. Super powerful, super important, etc.

I'm convinced Rendar was an author self-insert.

Back when AOL was a thing the author had, essentially, an AMA on their forums. While there was the standard assortment of fans who like anything with Star Wars slapped on the cover, there were a few people (myself included) who had this take. It, uh, got kinda heated.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I didn't remember a lot from the original Thrawn trilogy either, aside from the vague perception that I loved it. Rereading it I think it's perfectly serviceable schlock, though I'm not at all impressed with how Zahn wrote Leia's character. Specifically she seems to react to everything with the same manner that she talks to Luke in Jedi when he tells her the truth before confronting Vader: where she has her hair down and speaks softly in a very caring and sympathetic manner. I mean that's part of her character but not the only part. The other thing that's annoying is the all the painfully obvious nods to the movies. "Oh, lets meet up at Endor. That's a great spot. Remember there was a second Death Star there, and Vader threw the Empire down some incredibly deep shaft until he exploded? I bet... Yep! I found the spot where he died. He was full of Dark side energy. Remember that?"

What I remember most about the Thrawn trilogy was that it was repetitive in structure.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

What I remember most about the Thrawn trilogy was that it was repetitive in structure.

Could you expand a bit more on this. I am interested in your thoughts about this.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Stuff I remember about Thrawn trilogy:
    • Thrawn's art obsession. I do not by that it gives tactical insight.
    • Ysalamari. Mixed feelings on that.
    • Alien assassins who worship Vader/Leia. Fine, I guess.
    • Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke. Yeah, no.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    What bothered me about the Ysalamari was less that they existed on their own but that they existed on their own. Sans any kind of greater mundane presence of the Force they were just a magic doohickey

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Either give me a ton of natural stuff that deals with the Force in some way, swap out the ysalamari for some old Sith relic they found out in the Unknown Regions or just write something better.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The ysalami and the vronskaaar were both native to the same planet. One was a predator that used the force to hunt and the other was a herbivore that used camouflage to hide from predators. That part always made enough sense to me as an explanation to move on with the rest of the story.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I liked that Thrawn explored the tactical and strategic capabilities of the Force, understanding and exploiting it even without personally being able to manipulate it. It was also interesting that he cared very little for individuals. He was not out to twist the hero to his will or take revenge for the Death Stars, he was out to conquer the galaxy. He may have gone after Luke, or Leia, or the children, but only as a way to placate C'Baoth, who he prized for practical reasons.

And yet, the efforts of a small band of plucky heroes are what brought him down, because that's Star Wars and that's how the Force works.

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The ysalami and the vronskaaar were both native to the same planet. One was a predator that used the force to hunt and the other was a herbivore that used camouflage to hide from predators. That part always made enough sense to me as an explanation to move on with the rest of the story.

I mean that's fine, its just that self contained explanations don't do much for me.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.