As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited April 2019 in Social Entropy++
The first effects of the Disney/Fox merger are being felt.

Not a huge surprise but from what I hear Gambit and Dr. Doom are officially dead.

As for X-Force, it's not "Officially" dead, but they only have two months to start filming it and that's not gonna happen. So... not happening, not with Fox anyway.

Hopefully Feige doesn't shelve that Dr. Doom movie idea.

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Damn. I was looking forward to Gambit.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gambit always sounded good

Channing Tatum and Lizzy Caplan in a heist movie from the dude what did Edge of Tomorrow!

That sounds great!

Dang

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dang

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Continuing from the last thread, top five X-people:

1. Multiple Man
    2. Multiple Man
    3. Multiple Man
    4. Multiple Man
    5. Multiple Man

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    DOOM!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Whoa was that
    Sandman and Hydroman?

Also, FISHBOWL HELMET!

Guessing the plot is Mysterio setting up a bunch of supervillains to fight to make himself look like a hero.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I really like that trailer!

They're clearly going for the Fury/Peter relationship from USM which is a smart move (and better than an Iron Man one)

New suit looks really cool.

Fishbowl head!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I was so afraid when the rumor was the movie was about going to space and fighting aliens, so glad it's not that

also is Samuel L. Jackson the only person who will actually fulfill his entire "you're gonna be in 9 of these things" contract

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    they were so close to putting the Ramones cover of the spider-man theme song in there

JUST DO IT!

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I was so afraid when the rumor was the movie was about going to space and fighting aliens, so glad it's not that

also is Samuel L. Jackson the only person who will actually fulfill his entire "you're gonna be in 9 of these things" contract

This is outside of that because it's a Sony production, like RDJ in Homecoming.
    1. Iron Man
    2. Iron Man 2
    3. Thor
    4. The First Avenger
    5. The Avengers
    6. Winter Soldier
    7. Age of Ultron
    8. Infinity War
    9. Captain Marvel
    10. Endgame?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Disappointing news about Daredevil

Jokes aside, this is neat, both Zdarsky giving retailers a bit of a heads-up about the book so they can make informed decisions about ordering and also

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Infinity War spoilers
    I know that we all know that the snap is getting undone, but it'd be nice if Marvel Studios at least pretended that there were big things at stake in Endgame.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't really expect everything to be undone

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I would like to know who it was that started the modern trend of opening trailers with a promo trailer for the trailer before the actual trailer begins, so I can hate them for it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

I would like to know who it was that started the modern trend of opening trailers with a promo trailer for the trailer before the actual trailer begins, so I can hate them for it.

Youtube did, so you get some preroll before the Skip Ad button comes up when they put this full trailer as an ad on videos

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I don't know who started it, but it is clearly so that when the trailer is shown as an ad on Youtube the unskippable five seconds still work as an ad.

• Options
    IW
    I mean, just because people will get unkilled doesn't mean there's no stakes. There's still a lot of potential for the status quo to change as a consequence of what they have to do. But everyone knows they weren't going to kill Spider-man forever after just a single movie, so why pretend otherwise?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

Twitter and/or Instagram, so you're probably already on that Hate Train.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The snap is getting undone, let’s not kid ourselves.

This means that people who survived the snap are, ironically, at more risk to be killed off.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That looks like a really fun Spider-movie
    Mysterio is totally doing the Incredibles "pretend to fight the giant robot I unleashed" thing isn't he?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Mysterio is totally doing the Incredibles "pretend to fight the giant robot I unleashed" thing isn't he?
    Isn't he fighting Hydroman? I really hope that's hydroman.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Reportedly it is Hydro-Man, Sandman and Molten Man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Molten Man, now there's a pull

• Options
    We just need Wood Man and Metal Man and we've got all the elements.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Far From Home looks really fun and I am glad they are keeping a strong part of the high school element to the flick because I was worried it was going to be a shift to full-bore superheroics

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm still disappointed they're dragging him away from New York in the second movie. New York is a core part of Spider-Man's identity as a superhero and MCU Spider-man has spent so much more time outside of it than in. Let the big international adventure shit be for Avengers movies and whatnot and let Spider-Man movies be Spider-Man stories god damn it.

MCU always gotta make everything so goddamn big.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Also playing Mysterio as the Hot New Hero completely straightforward with no knowing winks is perfect

Anyone who has a cursory knowledge of Spidey villains will know what the deal is, and I am sure the internet will be overflowing with THE TRUE SECRET BEHIND FAR FROM HOME videos and articles about him but just not giving a shit and going "Nope. Definitely a good guy. 100%." Is the best way to go

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I’m going out on a limb* and guessing
    None of those elemental enemies are real. Mysterio is being Mysterio.

*not really

• Options
    I'm still disappointed they're dragging him away from New York in the second movie. New York is a core part of Spider-Man's identity as a superhero and MCU Spider-man has spent so much more time outside of it than in. Let the big international adventure shit be for Avengers movies and whatnot and let Spider-Man movies be Spider-Man stories god damn it.

I mean I agree but also the conceit of Peter being on a high school trip through Europe and getting somewhat unwillingly dragged into superheroics is an incredibly Spider-Man premise and about the best possible angle for a non-NYC story, IMO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I mean I agree but also the conceit of Peter being on a high school trip through Europe and getting somewhat unwillingly dragged into superheroics is an incredibly Spider-Man premise and about the best possible angle for a non-NYC story, IMO

Oh yeah I'll agree this is a very good execution of it but it's still really frustrating, especially as someone who is finding herself more frustrated with the MCU in general lately.

Anyway, 100% agreed on the Mysterio thing. Even though it's not gonna actually FOOL a good chunk of the audience, committing to the bit is a good sign for the strength of the story they're gonna be telling.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I am fully expecting a scene where
    After fighting the Elementals, who are depicted as snarling wordless monsters, for an hour and a half Spidey tracks down their lair and infiltrates it

Only to find, like, Sandman watching Real Housewives in his boxers with Hydro-Man and Molten Man arguing over who ate the last bomb pop, before Mysterio comes in and congratulates them on their success so far.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Aww the suitcase Peter packs has Ben's initials on it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it's funny to me that
    Molten Man was Liz Allan's brother in the comics, but probably won't be in the movie

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I love the dynamic with Aunt May in the trailer

I'm so tired of "teen hero trying to keep their secret identity from their parents", and I feel like it's been a long time since someone's done something new and interesting with that idea

Having a teen hero with a supportive, understanding parent is something with a lot of potential, and Spider-Man helping out at May's charity event is great

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I'm so tired of "teen hero trying to keep their secret identity from their parents", and I feel like it's been a long time since someone's done something new and interesting with that idea

Having a teen hero with a supportive, understanding parent is something with a lot of potential, and Spider-Man helping out at May's charity event is great
    This is where I frantically gesture at my JAIME REYES BLUE BEETLE sign in front of DC Headquarters

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I get that keeping his identity secret is largely a narrative requirement to contribute to the "barely managing to keep all his shit together" dynamic of Spider-man and all, but his justification for why his closest friends and family can't know has always been weak. Like, don't let your enemies know you're Spider-man but the person you love most in your life, who you trust more than anyone, who you KNOW would be proud of the work you do, and who you are constantly letting down because of this secret? Fuckin' tell your aunt you dummy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    2 more thoughts:

- excellent alliteration on "Peter Parker here to pick up a passport please", and they know it
    - having actually gotten to see Venice a couple years ago and having spent 2full days just walking around almost the entire city save for Giudecca, it's going to keep being weird every time I see it in movies now.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Let me know when she builds a high tech Spider-lair under the shed in the backyard.
    Fine, you won't have to let me know, because I'll be watching that movie too when it comes out.

• Options
    also I'm sure none of the class trip is going to think it's weird that Spider-Man starts showing up in the same European cities as them, the same time they're there.

MJ is totally figuring it out this movie.

This discussion has been closed.