As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Lalabox wrote: »

hyper monkey ball

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So Unity went and really screwed over a lot of devs this morning, basically revoking the licensing of existing or in production games using SpatialOS platform

But then, by this evening:

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Star Citizen
    Epic is really rolling in that Fortnight money, huh.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Spy Party
    People are being really cynical about that move but have they even considered that Unity kinda sucks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzCxWJxsskA

edit: and to be fair Unity pointed out that it was more of a licensing issue and that devs won't be effected. SpatialOS was taking Unity and packaging it with their services which is obviously outside of the terms of service, something they had been warned about for a year now.

edit to the edit: ...and to be even more nuanced it sounds like Unity's TOS was so vague and terrible that it could be argued that devs wouldn't be allowed to use Steam for their multiplayer. Eh, whatever. Given the choice between using UE4's blueprints to do visual scripting, coding in Javascript for Unity or exfoliating my skin with an old screwdriver Unity would still come in third. Unity's moving more toward C# these days which is good but Unreal's been using C++ since the start of this console generation and there's more documentation and community resources that would help an artist or designer use newer versions without as many headaches. Again, Unreal has visual scripting that can help somebody without any experience coding bash something together in an afternoon, Unity might get it in 2019.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Yeah, sounds weird and kind of messy. So Unity may not actually be pulling the rug out from devs caught in the middle, but now with Epic throwing cash to transition them...

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Star Citizen
    tenor.gif

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    DayZ
    this thread is a good breakdown on it

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    I reflexively cringe at anyone saying 'Unity sucks' because of the folk I've seen immediately refusing to buy a game because it's made in unity - a completely unwarranted hatred from people who actually have no fucking clue how game design works

if we're talking about it from a development perspective, that's obviously differently

and I'm feeling mostly defensive on the devs' behalf because, despite the platform's limitations, excellent games have been made with Unity

shame that Unity the company completely fucked this up

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    DayZ
    Everything I'm getting from fellow devs who are more in the know about this than I am is basically

Improbable pulled a PR stunt of epic proportions that is actually super shitty and shady and shouldn't be praised
    Unity's response is incredibly lackluster, especially given they likely had time to prepare for this
    The endless hate of Unity from gamers is illogical to the extreme, and while Unity has issues for devs it's still a pretty great engine in general.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    No moral.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    No the moral is that gamers suck.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    the moral is always that gamers suck

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    hard core game bro here and I can confirm

that I suck

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've never really accomplished anything in Unity but that's because I'm generally bad at learning big frameworks/ecosytems like that. I'd be equally useless in unreal. For people without my inertia problems its been great.

I still wish MS hadn't killed XNA.

steam_sig.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've never really accomplished anything in Unity but that's because I'm generally bad at learning big frameworks/ecosytems like that. I'd be equally useless in unreal. For people without my inertia problems its been great.

For what it's worth, XNA isn't entirely "dead", per se. It's been open-sourced under the name "Monogame", deriving from Mono, the open-source implementation of the .NET Framework. All the old libraries are there and it supports all the extant consoles. You might have heard of a particular indie success story by the name of Celeste... which was built in Monogame (at least for the non-Windows platforms).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    hard core game bro here and I can confirm

that I suck

I, too, am a hard core game bro and I actually don't suck

lol jk I'm a garbage person, throw me in the trash where I belong

JtgVX0H.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

For what it's worth, XNA isn't entirely "dead", per se. It's been open-sourced under the name "Monogame", deriving from Mono, the open-source implementation of the .NET Framework. All the old libraries are there and it supports all the extant consoles. You might have heard of a particular indie success story by the name of Celeste... which was built in Monogame (at least for the non-Windows platforms).

Yeah, I just never really got back into dev outside of my work stuff. Stardew Valley was done in XNA. Not sure if they converted to mono for the ports, or what.

steam_sig.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    I'm a fake gamer girl and I'm great!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party

I want a t-shirt design for the fake gamer girl club

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    DayZ
    Aw shit that seems like something I could actually do...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »

product_ckg_shirt_photo4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1449349482

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    hey has anyone played this war of mine and frostpunk? cuz frostpunk looks like it's right up my alley and i've heard this war of mine is pretty good, and there's a steam bundle for like 45 bucks and i wanna know if it's worth it or if i should wait for the next sale

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    DayZ
    agoaj wrote: »

I own the hoodie that was the prototype for this!!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    hey has anyone played this war of mine and frostpunk? cuz frostpunk looks like it's right up my alley and i've heard this war of mine is pretty good, and there's a steam bundle for like 45 bucks and i wanna know if it's worth it or if i should wait for the next sale

This War of Mine was decent , if somewhat basic, of a survival builder, but by god is it just, bleak, you will never feel good in that game.

I haven't tried Frostpunk yet, but from what I've seen played of it, it looks great, but also very hard until you figure out each level.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    DayZ
    Yeah Frostpunk is a lot of fun but very challenging if you try and play in such a way that no-one dies or you don't want to do some of the more... drastic measures

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I think Frostpunk is amazing, I played it for like 40 hours, but I had no patience for This War of Mine. They're not really similar games other than being depressing, though.

DayZ
    agoaj wrote: »

I own the hoodie that was the prototype for this!!

...the OG video-game-killing cutie!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    yeah holy shit I had no idea gang beasts had that kind of success

BahamutZERO.gif
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    8th most downloaded, was it free with PS plus at some point?

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    8th most downloaded, was it free with PS plus at some point?

Looks like no

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Is this where the garbage human being gamers are gathering? Just want to make sure I’m in the right place.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    For anything 2D unity is terrible .... except for every other engine (and especially unreal) is even worse

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    DayZ
    I have literally never heard anything about Gang Beasts outside of this forum and Giant Bomb videos so that seems doubly nuts to me

Grey Ghost on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    For anything 2D unity is terrible .... except for every other engine (and especially unreal) is even worse

The hell are you talking about? Unity for 2D is fairly simple but powerful enough to make the Ori games. Thanks to Paper2D Unreal is capable of making stuff like The Siege and the Sandfox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=786nDr2pglg

Hell I've seen a dude make a version of Braid using Blueprints years ago right around the time UE4 was released just to prove he could. Beyond that engines like Godot are coming close to matching Unity's 2D capabilities.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have literally never heard anything about Gang Beasts outside of this forum and Giant Bomb videos so that seems doubly nuts to me

I saw it on streams a lot a while back at my local bar.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've had kids at GameStop looking for Gang Beasts without realizing that it's a digital only release with somewhat surprising regularity

Star Citizen
    we're not in touch with kids?!

... no. It is the children who are wrong.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Man, we really are living in the 21st century now!
    It's such a strange thing to hear that video game streams are everyday and mainstream enough to just be on a local bar's TVs!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Man, we really are living in the 21st century now!
    It's such a strange thing to hear that video game streams are everyday and mainstream enough to just be on a local bar's TVs!

I mean, my local bar is specifically an esports, streaming and boardgame bar. It’s been very successful and they will be opening up a second location in a month or two.

This discussion has been closed.