As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attention to Orders: Penny Arcade's [Military Thread] is Open!!!

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    US or Canada?

steam_sig.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    US or Canada?

Canada

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    U.S. sailors are pretty much nonstop berating our higher leadership about beards and outdated grooming standards in general at this point.

I'm baffled by the recalcitrance.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    But His SCBA Seals is all I've ever heard. Doesn't explain shore commands, though, or why no-shave chits are ever a thing. The military has given me a new level of hatred for unenforced rules.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Relaxed grooming standards and pot.

I'll accept direct deposit for my stellar consultation.

Canadian Armed Forces has done exactly this.

It has had a positive morale impact... I know what I'm doing when I get home from my sail.

Oh we're aware.

First Class mess over here is livid with this nonsense.

I was honestly a little surprised with how reasonable it all was too. The rules for who can and can't use cannabis are pretty fair, and I suspect like most rules they will slacken a bit after a couple years once we re-evaluate and realise that some don't really make sense or are not really enforceable.

Then BeardFORGEN came out and everyone was happy as hell. Can't wait to grow a beard... Apparently they are also revamping the personal grooming standard too, potentially relaxing the restrictions on hair. It is going to be interesting to see how this all rolls out.

And lets not forget who the Commander in Chief is, and the roaring economy preventing people from wanting to join.

I only pursued the ROTC in 2007 because I was desperate to reinvent my timid ass for a rotting world and get a slice of the military industrial complex.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    But His SCBA Seals is all I've ever heard. Doesn't explain shore commands, though, or why no-shave chits are ever a thing. The military has given me a new level of hatred for unenforced rules.

Which is funny, because the Aussies and Kiwis both have the same SCBA masks and manage to have a seal. Our beard policy is still a bit up in the air on this, I'm hoping everyone sees the light. Part of the policy does adapt for CBRN though, so if you need to operate in that environment you are SOL.

Cantido wrote: »
    Relaxed grooming standards and pot.

I'll accept direct deposit for my stellar consultation.

Canadian Armed Forces has done exactly this.

It has had a positive morale impact... I know what I'm doing when I get home from my sail.

Oh we're aware.

First Class mess over here is livid with this nonsense.

I was honestly a little surprised with how reasonable it all was too. The rules for who can and can't use cannabis are pretty fair, and I suspect like most rules they will slacken a bit after a couple years once we re-evaluate and realise that some don't really make sense or are not really enforceable.

Then BeardFORGEN came out and everyone was happy as hell. Can't wait to grow a beard... Apparently they are also revamping the personal grooming standard too, potentially relaxing the restrictions on hair. It is going to be interesting to see how this all rolls out.

And lets not forget who the Commander in Chief is, and the roaring economy preventing people from wanting to join.

I only pursued the ROTC in 2007 because I was desperate to reinvent my timid ass for a rotting world and get a slice of the military industrial complex.

I was in a similar situation when I joined, realized my prospects as a civilian cook were not that great, and started exploring positions in the military, even looked at cook for a bit. When I got offered ROTP (our version, slightly different but mostly the same) I couldn't pass that up.

I'm pretty happy with how the CAF has gone about making these changes. I was expecting something extremely restrictive or to have them crushed because of traditionalism. I really hope this helps our recruitment numbers in the near future.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Happy Birthday Navy!

PSN: jfrofl
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    You could always just issue a PAPR to everyone that actually needs to mask up. Problem solved, everyone gets a beard.

As long as you don't have a neckbeard like a Norse god, then your mask/SCBA will seal just fine.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    You could always just issue a PAPR to everyone that actually needs to mask up. Problem solved, everyone gets a beard.

As long as you don't have a neckbeard like a Norse god, then your mask/SCBA will seal just fine.

I've been out of the military for a long time but I'm curious. What are the standards for determining a seal? Where I am currently uses test equipment and it's absurdly sensitive, so it's virtually impossible to pass if you have any facial hair at all.

For my part, I've always been satisfied by covering my filter with one hand and inhaling. Wondering what the middle ground is? Is our problem that our test equipment is just calibrated to an unnecessarily high level of sensitivity?

Well, see a PAPR is forced air through a filter. So it creates positive pressure, so even if you have a shit seal nothing is going to get in as air is going to be constantly being blown out anyways.

The testing equipment is super sensitive that the military still uses to this day, but a normal troop with a beard would go to MOPP level 4 so he/she would have on a protective outer garment that would be over the mask seal anyways.

Plenty of German NCO's have beards and you don't hear them freaking out about mask seals.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Well, see a PAPR is forced air through a filter. So it creates positive pressure, so even if you have a shit seal nothing is going to get in as air is going to be constantly being blown out anyways.

The testing equipment is super sensitive that the military still uses to this day, but a normal troop with a beard would go to MOPP level 4 so he/she would have on a protective outer garment that would be over the mask seal anyways.

Plenty of German NCO's have beards and you don't hear them freaking out about mask seals.

Gotcha, that's a good point about the PAPR. Depending on situation I'll sometimes just be full mask w/o the PAPR but it's relatively trivial to add it in to the kit. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

All that aside, when the eff was the last time we had people needing to be in MOPP 4?
    I think I was issued MOPP gear on my deployment to Afghanistan in 2010, but that shit collected dust forever. Also just make shaving part of GO1 while you are out there, and relax in garrison standards.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    If anyone has any ideas for a new thread title let me know. Prolly time we change it up.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    All that aside, when the eff was the last time we had people needing to be in MOPP 4?
    I think I was issued MOPP gear on my deployment to Afghanistan in 2010, but that shit collected dust forever. Also just make shaving part of GO1 while you are out there, and relax in garrison standards.

Its routine in exercises in Korea.

It used to be tame, but now they make you apply your body armor, 100 degrees be damned. I wonder if they still let you wear PT gear underneath...

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    If anyone has any ideas for a new thread title let me know. Prolly time we change it up.

"Everybody's working for the [96] weekend/WOCS slots."

John Matrix on
    *space force pun here*

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Everyone in Korea has it on hand
    Cantido wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »

Its routine in exercises in Korea.

It used to be tame, but now they make you apply your body armor, 100 degrees be damned. I wonder if they still let you wear PT gear underneath...

They do not.

Ah, I forgot about exercises in Korea. Thanks.

I'm watching Seal Team and one of the most realistic things about it is that I have no idea what rank their CO is because he's in Type IIIs and he always wears a badge. Captain, maybe? Could be a Commander. Honestly, no idea.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Was talking to a friend whose about to commission from ROTC about the requirements for Active Duty Army this year. To give you a frame of reference. When I accessed in 2012 you needed 76 points to go AD. Before that, points hovered around the 60-70 range for AD. This year, you needed about 30 points to go Active. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for a G1 Manning brief to hear just how bad the Army is hurting on Junior Officers. I'm really scratching my head because we're coming two out of two years of CAD programs (Call to Active Duty, which is a reserve pipe dream that occurred twice) and now we're promoting roughly the large majority of ROTC Cadets onto the AD side of the house. Just how bad are we hurting for people?

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Happy Veteran's Day to whom it may apply. :)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    It’s garbage that sick call isn’t a thing in most places anymore.

It’s garbage that sick call isn’t a thing in most places anymore.

Most places that don't have sick call will just tell you to go to the ER in the morning. Army side at least. So mileage may vary.

― John Quincy Adams
    In case I don't get to say it tomorrow:

50px-ICS_Bravo.svg.png50px-ICS_Alpha.svg.png
    50px-ICS_Echo.svg.png50px-ICS_Romeo.svg.png
    50px-ICS_Alpha.svg.png50px-ICS_Mike.svg.png
    50px-ICS_Tango.svg.png50px-ICS_Yankee.svg.png

For the Army O types here HRC is moving towards the Market Place as the way of determining your next assignment. So far I have Fort Irwin and Fort Polk that want me.

I'm ded.

So far I have Fort Irwin and Fort Polk that want me.

Pretty sure they want anyone and everyone they can get to share in the misery.

edited December 2018
    Polk would of been amazing if I was a Platoon Leader still and with Geronimo. Growing beards and 5.11 tact pants on airborne status while playing OPFOR would be amazingly fun. Irwin would suck, but still pretty fun as a PL as once you get comfortable with your terrain you'd definitely roll up rotational units every day.

Waffles or whatever on
  • novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Hey all. I can't remember if I ever posted in the old thread, but I'm back on the PA forums so I thought I'd butt in and introduce myself.

Currently active duty Navy; started as an Electronics Technician, finished my degree, went through OCS and flight school, attrited, then got picked up by the Meterology/Oceanography community. Been in almost 12 years.

I'm hoping to help out or shitpost as necessary.

http://www.moaa.org/Content/Publications-and-Media/News-Articles/2019-News-Articles/Advocacy/New-Law-Affects-Military-Spouse-Voting,-Taxes,-and-Licensure.aspx

Mil spouses can now claim our home state for taxes and voting purposes. It’s retroactive through 2018 so for those of you with residence in lower tax and tax free states might want to get a jump on it.

edited January 2019
    Tomorrow is my official retirement date!

I've been on terminal leave since 16 November! It has been amazing.

Funny shit is I'm still getting hate mail to my .mil from my XO telling me that I need to get my flu shot or else.

OR ELSE what LT!

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Did you do your 20?

17 years, but with CRSC i'm only losing out on about 1500 a year in lost pay.

I can live with that for 3 years of sanity.

― John Quincy Adams
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I no shit got a phone call 6 months after I was out from my old company asking why i didnt go to the range (i think) on whatever date. I was like dude i ets’d a long time ago. And then he didnt believe me... and they wondered why they had the lowest retention rate in the army for a few years running.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I no shit got a phone call 6 months after I was out from my old company asking why i didnt go to the range (i think) on whatever date. I was like dude i ets’d a long time ago. And then he didnt believe me... and they wondered why they had the lowest retention rate in the army for a few years running.

The same. I also got a phone call asking where I was while I was attached to another company in our BN for a deployment. I was literally a few hours from getting on the bus to the air strip to get on the plane.

edited January 2019
    Anyone know how Reserve / Active Duty Retirement and translation between the two works? I had 4 to 5 good years in the Reserves (One bad since it was the year I commissioned and couldn't drill anymore). After that, I went onto AD. From the time I went onto AD I had ~six to seven years TIS, but my reserve time translated to five months prior service. Since about 2014 I've been on AD ever since, which puts me around five years of AD time. Looking towards the future I am thinking about getting out. The wife and I had the talk and I'm just really tired of the 100% readiness cycle that the Army evolved from going from AFORGEN to today's model. My body hurts, I don't really want to deploy or do field time anymore, and I would prefer to have a job with a predictable schedule.

Only question around all of this is if I wanted to go to the Reserves, would that previous Reserve time count towards retirement? I'd be close to 10/11 year marker when I do get out. I figure if that time does count, I might as well finish out my career in the Reserves and get that sweet, sweet retirement.

Waffles or whatever on
    Go civil service! Buy that time back.

This is all like second hand awareness, but your reserves time previously would count as points I think? AD time counts as points but also lowers the age you start collecting as well? Not sure how the reserve retirement age gets counted. It'd certainly be worth talking to a recruiter though.

Got my orders. Looks like I'm heading to Fort Bragg next. Thankfully it'll be with an Aviation Brigade. I'd probably die irl if I was with an actual Infantry Brigade Combat Team there.

edited March 2019
    :/

Sorry man.

Radiation on
    To be fair. My choices weren't good. Bragg, a single slot for a slot at Campbell's CAB, Drum, four Polk slots (not Geronimo), Irwin, both Alaska Posts with 25th ID, and Korea. I figure Bragg was the least crappy of those choices.

That is true. I can only speak to Irwin, and it is not a great place to be stationed. Not bad if you want to get out and drive 2+ hours to go do stuff.

Well then congrats on the what might be the least crap option!