As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Talith wrote: »
    That Dragon Marked for death really shows it's Megaman Zero and ZX pedigree. I saw the video before reading any comments and was wondering why this wasn't called Megaman: Symphony of the Night.

I hope it's good, I really enjoyed the Zero and ZX games.

I feel like those games are underrated as a whole. They are a bit hard at times, but they are pretty good all-around.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I played the first two Breath of Fire games, but it was so long ago I can't remember which was which. Which one was the one that had the creepy death cult that was taking over as the major religion of the world? Or was that both of them? I found that story arc very disturbing.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I played the first two Breath of Fire games, but it was so long ago I can't remember which was which. Which one was the one that had the creepy death cult that was taking over as the major religion of the world? Or was that both of them? I found that story arc very disturbing.

BoF2. BoF1 was about the Dark Dragons taking over the world to release the goddess Myria (Tyr in that translation).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Instead of rereleasing the OG BoF games, I would like it if they made a new one that wasn't a shitty mobile cashgrab.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Instead of rereleasing the OG BoF games, I would like it if they made a new one that wasn't a shitty mobile cashgrab.

Let's stick with realistic goals, please

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Let's stick with realistic goals, please

Imagine a BoF game on the switch with completely hand-drawn environments in a 2.5D style.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Man that failed so hard it sunk the whole series. Capcom has zero interest in going back to it.

However, Camelot (Shining Force, Golden Sun folks) have said that they'd be be totally down with making a new Breath of Fire game if Capcom doesn't want to.

So there is still a sliver of hope.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I think it's largely not by choice. Square Enix owns most of the notable RPGs on the NES, everything outside their catalog is minor/unknown/possibly tough to license stuff.

So I don't completely disagree, but... where is Earthbound?

I mean, as long as we are getting Hockey and crap.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think it's largely not by choice. Square Enix owns most of the notable RPGs on the NES, everything outside their catalog is minor/unknown/possibly tough to license stuff.

The NES one?

They made a big deal about selling it on the Wii U, it was a special thing. They might put it up at some point but I think to them it's a rare classic they want to monetize.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So after hearing the Giant Bomb duders gush over it, and considering I have always loved the Katamari series, I decided to pick up Donut County. It made me smile, especially the Trashopedia entries, but my 4 year old daugther LOOOOOOOOVES it! To the point she was screaming hysterically once we had to turn it off! (4 years old and that's the first time I've ever seen her tantrum like that).

I want to get Donut County but it's the kind of game I want to play on my phone. And so far no plan for an Android release.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Now mind you, I love New Super Mario U and think it is the second best 2D Mario in level design alone, only being beaten by SMW. With that said, I cannot argue with this video much and hope that the next 2D Mario adds a bit of the DKC magic to spice it up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORdCuz2vtE

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So after hearing the Giant Bomb duders gush over it, and considering I have always loved the Katamari series, I decided to pick up Donut County. It made me smile, especially the Trashopedia entries, but my 4 year old daugther LOOOOOOOOVES it! To the point she was screaming hysterically once we had to turn it off! (4 years old and that's the first time I've ever seen her tantrum like that).

I want to get Donut County but it's the kind of game I want to play on my phone. And so far no plan for an Android release.

Why do you feel phone would be the superior platform in this case? Do you not use your Switch in portable mode?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Well Gamexplain did a great job of illustrating why I think NSMBU is boring and uninspired. Unfortunately I don't care for the feel of DKC either but at least it has wonderful aesthetics. I wish I could love Nintendo's 2D platformers again.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    NSMB is like wall art in a dentist office. Unforgivable.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Why do you feel phone would be the superior platform in this case? Do you not use your Switch in portable mode?

I do, but not often. And the touch control would be great for my daughter to play with as well. But there's something about the type of game it is that makes me want to play it on my phone.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Well Gamexplain did a great job of illustrating why I think NSMBU is boring and uninspired. Unfortunately I don't care for the feel of DKC either but at least it has wonderful aesthetics. I wish I could love Nintendo's 2D platformers again.

Im enjoying NSMBu with my GF, but all it did was compell me to pick up this on Switch so I can experience it with her
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yOEuOuhINc

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

The NES one?

They made a big deal about selling it on the Wii U, it was a special thing. They might put it up at some point but I think to them it's a rare classic they want to monetize.

Then port and release Mother 3 and fucking monetize the series already!!!!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

The NES one?

If you could only save one: Mother 3 or Terraria for Switch - which would you save?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Terraria has so much more replay value. And a creative endeavor often feels more satisfying than just being told a story...if you're in the mood to create.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      NSMB is like wall art in a dentist office. Unforgivable.

I don't get this universal hate for this game. I love the look of it. But prior to getting the Switch the last Mario I played was Galaxy, so I guess I'm just not sick of it. Or maybe you're all grumpy grumps who don't know how to feel joy and happiness. :lol:

Vesperia looks kind of interesting to me, and I'm not in the middle of any long deep games on the Switch right now, so thinking of grabbing this. I don't know anything about it except that it's a RPG. I played a bit of Tales of Symphonia, but otherwise have no experience with the series. Is the combat the same in the all the games? Is it particularly interesting and fun in this game? What's the challenge like?

chuck steak on
    • Options
      I'm not too far into it but it plays exactly like Symphonia. I would guess same engine and team and everything. Combat is basically a 3D fighting game engine. There are some changed/added mechanics. From what I understand Vesperia was the last of the "traditional" Tales games before they went off in experimental and controversial directions (like having no world map).

I have read that everything is either a pushover or a stone wall of difficulty (many bosses). You can't just run in and attack and combo, you have to stick and move, or let your party members deal all the damage while you run circles around the arena popping life bottles repeatedly. So far for me it's mostly easy and feels like Symphonia.

Also the free DLC is ridiculously generous and showers you with money and good gear that apparently makes you OP and trivializes the game. Like I'm right at the start still and have about 3000 gald and buying what gear I can for 400 or 500, but tantalizingly in the menu I can cash in multiple 300,000 gald bonuses at any time. Right now I'm pretending it all doesn't exist but we'll see if I come across difficulties later that make me pop that stuff.

• Options
      Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Drez wrote: »

The NES one?

If you could only save one: Mother 3 or Terraria for Switch - which would you save?!

For fucks sake everyone could make all the moneys on translating snes/gba era rpg games...

Seiken 3, Mother 3, Fire emblem 4+5, Marvelous...

Surely there is some money in it somewhere if square can afford to do all the dragon quest games and stuff like romancing saga 2 (I’m sure part of the reason those get love is they are more mobile friendly though.)

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      For me, NSMBU hit at a time that I was feeling some NSMB fatigue. There was a title in 2006, 2009, then two in 2012. It was just a bit too much of the same thing for me. I prefer if they alternate things up with 3D and 2D releases, but I get it. The games sold like hotcakes after all.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
      Also the free DLC is ridiculously generous and showers you with money and good gear that apparently makes you OP and trivializes the game. Like I'm right at the start still and have about 3000 gald and buying what gear I can for 400 or 500, but tantalizingly in the menu I can cash in multiple 300,000 gald bonuses at any time. Right now I'm pretending it all doesn't exist but we'll see if I come across difficulties later that make me pop that stuff.

That crap right there is what I hate about recent jrpg re-releases. It's basically "I don't want any effort" the dlc. And it's toxic for replay value.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    • Options
      WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      An acquaintance of mine is very slowly getting into gaming, having recently bought a second-hand Wii. I loaned them NSMBWii and they love it, because it's a straightforward, easy to grasp kind of game. You just go from left to right and jump; none of this 3D navigation and six buttons that all do different things.

I'm starting to think the kind of people who'd be regulars on this forum might not be the target audience for NSMB games.

WotanAnubis on
    • Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      Personally, I felt that NSMB the first went too basic and was really boring. If memory serves, my feeling when the sequel released was that it was basically "what if NSMB but, like, with actually fun level designs and stuff".

Drascin on
      Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      NSMBU is pretty solid gameplay wise, but I think the argument that it would be received better by some if it had more 'life' to it has merit.

Of course, the fact that Deluxe is already doing well sales-wise (in places were data is available at least ) shows that, yeah, maybe we're not the ones Nintendo is going for. 60 dollars is a lot to ask for a repackage if you've played it already, but maaaaan, that won't stop everyone else.

• Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular

That crap right there is what I hate about recent jrpg re-releases. It's basically "I don't want any effort" the dlc. And it's toxic for replay value.

How is having the option to make a game more welcoming to less-skilled players ruining the experience for you?

• Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      I still think they should have done New Super Mario All-Stars, with HD versions of all four NSMB titles.

Well, I guess there's still hope... NSMBU was the only one already in HD, after all.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      edited January 2019
      My only complaint with the NSMB series it it bought a crashing halt to the massive artistic variety the series had had up to that point. The visual styles of Mario Bros. through to Mario World were so wildly different with each entry in the series and i loved that. Musically it stagnated quite a bit as well.

But that's 3D for you.

Gameplay-wise they're all fine.

Jam Warrior on
      MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      Drascin wrote: »
      Personally, I felt that NSMB the first went too basic and was really boring. If memory serves, my feeling when the sequel released was that it was basically "what if NSMB but, like, with actually fun level designs and stuff".

NSMB1 was a good return to 2D Mario at the time but it was fairly back-to-basics, and I feel like that was part of the point. The days when a fire flower was important. A focus on navigating various block configurations for challenge. But it was the SMB1 of the NSMB series. NSMB Wii was more like Mario World, NSMB2 was like Mario 3, and NSMBU was an evolution on everything else in the series.

• Options
      Dirty wrote: »

How is having the option to make a game more welcoming to less-skilled players ruining the experience for you?

There is very similar DLC for Berseria and I ended up really appreciating it. I didn't use a lot of it, but there were DLC packages with some items that were really a time sink to grind out normally and you bet your ass I grabbed those.

• Options

There is very similar DLC for Berseria and I ended up really appreciating it. I didn't use a lot of it, but there were DLC packages with some items that were really a time sink to grind out normally and you bet your ass I grabbed those.

I could see them being a huge boon at endgame when a lot of these games suddenly become about "ok now there's no story left so just grind forever, grind out 50 levels so you're strong enough for a postgame boss." You can then take advantage of the DLC and instantly gain 50 levels (that's a thing) and skip 10 hours of nothing.

It seems intended for endgame.

• Options
      Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
      Wow that video makes me want to get DKC.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      DKC is a crazy varied experience and the level design is awesome.

• Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      Wow that video makes me want to get DKC.

I already own it and that video made me want to buy it again.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      The newer DKC games look so cool. It's a shame they don't play nearly as good as they look.

• Options
      OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
      The newer DKC games look so cool. It's a shame they don't play nearly as good as they look.

I see the quality, the stage designs are clever and beautiful. That gameplay just feels like molasses to me, though. They’re absolutely nailing what they are aiming for, and it’s not the feeling I want from a platformer. Even the old DKC games moved at a faster clip. It’s like Retro Studios cranked up the gravity on everything 5x.

• Options
      DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eekLsJT3zyc

Latest Super Fanservice Wars T trailer. A whopping 11 minutes.

• Options
      Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
      I liked DKCR on 3DS, wouldn't mind seeing a Switch port.

Just couldn't get into Tropical Freeze, though =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.