As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    As a guy who uses the duty finder for 99% of the stuff I do, I wish BLU had more for me.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    the levels i'm at now where i can one shot everything with 1000 needles and get xp for my chocobo are pretty funny tho

liEt3nH.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Roegadyn
    So

Blue Mage.

It's about as bad as I was worried it would be. Of the 49 skills, 23 of them are only available in level 50 dungeons and trials. The last 6 are from the Extreme versions of the RR Primals.

There's only 15 skills you can learn out in the world.

Also it's more or less impossible to figure out where they are on your own. The spell book only tells you the area they are in, and since it's not a 100% chance to learn them you can't even just work through process of elimination.

Also the skill you need to do the lvl20 job quest is in Tam-Tara so unless you talk someone into running you through it you're just not doing the job quests till you get to a high enough level to run Tam-Tara unsynced solo.

Also currently all the places you learn skills in the wild are swamped by people who either don't know what they are doing or lvl70 people actively greifing by killing the monsters instantly. But that'll clear off in a week or so I'd guess.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    Lalafell
    Oh but we couldn’t have had people griefing by queuing for duty roulettes with under-learned Blues. That would have been an unpleasant experience.

Roegadyn
    The place where you learn self-destruct in West Thanalan on Sargatanas is currently a hellscape of people screaming at each other to stop killing the bombs before they explode and other people thinking "detonator" is "self destruct" and wiping them out after they cast the first one.

Also a subset of players seem to currently be under the mistaken impression you don't have to see the skill to learn it, just kill the right enemy and are making it impossible for everyone else. Had a couple of lvl30 or so guys doing laps murdering the like 3 Treants that teach Acorn Bomb in two hits.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What single player games had blue mages? FF9?

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Krathoon wrote: »

Also Quistis from FF8 and Kimahri from FF10

And the Gun Mage dress sphere in 10-2

IKknkhU.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    Enlong wrote: »
    Oh but we couldn’t have had people griefing by queuing for duty roulettes with under-learned Blues. That would have been an unpleasant experience.

this but unironically

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Roegadyn
    Krathoon wrote: »

5 as a job
    6 had Stragos, and Gau was a sort of spin off of it.
    7 had Blue Magic Materia
    8 had Quitus
    9 has Quina
    10 has Kimari
    11 as a job
    14 as a job now

And I that's it for the numbered games. It shows up in some spin offs as well, maybe under a different name. The Vampire job in Bravely Default is essentially Blue Mage. It also shows up in both Tactics Advance games.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    For some reason, it stands out more in the FFA games.

edited January 2019
    Lalafell

this but unironically

This just shines a spotlight on a problem the game has had for years now. Make the duty finder lock you out if you don’t know essential skills and aren’t in a constructed party. This would solve the problem with Blue Mages, people who refuse to do their job quests, and people who remove their job stone for laughs before teaming up with random people.

Locking out Blues forever is putting a bandage on one of 6 cuts and calling it a day.

Enlong on
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    the issue with blue mage in duty finder isn't actually not knowing their skills it's that they are in no fucking way balanced for group play

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Roegadyn
    I just really don't see BLU being something people stick with for any amount of time, both player wise and developer wise.

People who really care are already getting close to max level (I've actually already seen two lvl50 Blue Mages already) and everyone else is just going to burn out because leveling them is a huge snore since there skills don't have any kind of synergy and you basically just spam 1000 needles once you get it.

You can't do it as a fun distraction because it's near impossible to figure out where to learn stuff on your own, or the skills are in stuff you need a group for.

And it seems way more development intensive than a lot of other side stuff.

By the end of Shadowbringers at best BLU is going to be abandoned like so much other side content.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    I've been enjoying BLU. I'm actually pretty excited that you have to go into a bunch of lvl 50 dungeons and extreme fights to get spells. I also have been enjoying the skills and finding little ways they can work together, like pulling somebody in with sticky tongue which stuns them long enough for you to get bad breath on to them. 1k needles is overpowered when you get it, but even in the mid 30s it's starting to fall off. I'm pretty sure that once I hit 50 I'm not going to be using it a ton anymore just because it doesn't scale like other spells do.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Lalafell
    the issue with blue mage in duty finder isn't actually not knowing their skills it's that they are in no fucking way balanced for group play

I would have preferred a version that was designed for group play, and also had the hunting-for-(GUARANTEED-TO-DROP) skills thing going for it.

If they wanted a bunch of goofy and unbalanced skills for use in the Carnivale, then add them and make them exclusive to the Carnivale. It wouldn’t be the first piece of content with a whole combat skill set that’s unique to it, compared to the rest of the game.

Au Ra
    I will agree that the spellbook is useless for finding out where to get skills. They made it sound like there would be hints or riddles pointing you in the right direction but nah, it's just the zone.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I will agree that the spellbook is useless for finding out where to get skills. They made it sound like there would be hints or riddles pointing you in the right direction but nah, it's just the zone.

There is a nice spreadsheet you can find that has each skill listed and where to find 'em.

We'll see what they do with the job. I'm pleased so far. The learning rate isn't bad, and it has some nonsense, but yea it's clearly not balanced for group play. I expect their plan is to release the 60 cap for it before the expansion and try to balance it more, and then raise it to 70 by the time it drops so they can see how it actually plays with end game content that's about to be outdated.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Lalafell
    I’ve heard that the plan is to raise the cap during the lifetime of 5.X, and not to 80.

Au Ra
    Oh ya i have that speadsheet and am using it. I'm not sure if they'll ever allow it to do stuff like current raids. Even just white wind is stupid busted. They would have to do a major overhaul to get it balanced. I will say that 4 BLU groups are pretty fun for these lower level dungeons at least.

Lalafell
    Or just give me Catmancer and make it the normal-content-balanced version of BLU.

Roegadyn
    I’ve heard that the plan is to raise the cap during the lifetime of 5.X, and not to 80.

Yeah they've said BLU will probably never be on level with the rest of the jobs.

I think they said it will go up to 60 sometime in Shadowbringers and 70 won't be till much later.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Anyone have a link to the spreadsheet?

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Lalafell
    turtleant wrote: »

Yeah they've said BLU will probably never be on level with the rest of the jobs.

I think they said it will go up to 60 sometime in Shadowbringers and 70 won't be till much later.

Yep.

It’s just frustrating. In aiming for orthodoxy with the job, they’ve made it essentially unusable in everything I’d want to use it for. And I like blue magic in other games. It’s just that in other games, I can use it in the main part of the game.

Hyur
    Personally I was never gonna main BLU so this way it's something I'll do besides level

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Hyur
    speaking of leveling, oh man this exp exploit. it has taken me all of 40 minutes to reach level 35

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    edited January 2019
    Roegadyn
    Guess that explains the lvl 50 blue mages I saw then.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    More like Assahi.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Assyans.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Roegadyn
    I'm not going to use an exploit but apparently it can also be used to level a chocobo really fast, and it caused a run on the market for thavnairan onions

I had two just lying around and got 1.5 million gil in moments from throwing them up on the marketboard

TheySlashThem on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    turtleant wrote: »

Yep.

It’s just frustrating. In aiming for orthodoxy with the job, they’ve made it essentially unusable in everything I’d want to use it for. And I like blue magic in other games. It’s just that in other games, I can use it in the main part of the game.

Part of the problem is that the other games it tends to be a binary underwhelming/overpowered based on whether you have learned the stupid spells.

And granted, those games all have other ways to break them in half, many of which are even easier, but BLU scratches many thematic itches too...

I feel like the skill set it has is decent, but I would have used fewer level 50 mobs for things for sure.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    I'm not going to use an exploit but apparently it can also be used to level a chocobo really fast, and it caused a run on the market for thavnairan onions

I had two just lying around and got 1.5 million gil in moments from throwing them up on the marketboard

to be specific, what's happening is that chocobos are getting the bonus XP from killin mobs that the Blue Mage gets

that's going to be patched out next week

the thing that's letting people speed level Blue Mage is not, because it's a system that's been in the game since the beginning - healer just hits you with a shield, you pull mobs way overlevel, and then they kill them. it's just significantly more noticeable for BLU because of the increase they get from killing mobs

liEt3nH.png
    Au Ra
    Man the EX primals are real stingy with their spells. Been farming Garuda for what has to be 2 hours at least.

Hyur

to be specific, what's happening is that chocobos are getting the bonus XP from killin mobs that the Blue Mage gets

that's going to be patched out next week

the thing that's letting people speed level Blue Mage is not, because it's a system that's been in the game since the beginning - healer just hits you with a shield, you pull mobs way overlevel, and then they kill them. it's just significantly more noticeable for BLU because of the increase they get from killing mobs

Oh it's easier than this. If you have a Max level caster that can one shot level 49 enemies, you shoot off a spell then spam a hotkey to change to BLU, and the exp registers as a BLU kill because server ticks

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'd rather just work on BLU every now and then when I feel like it, but I'm worried that it will be difficult to get Blue Mage runs of the level 50 content later on, since you can't directly queue for it. That's a bummer.

Lalafell
    I wonder what BLU would be like as a normal job, assuming the identities of the skills would be pulled from what we got.

I’ve been thinking perhaps it would have revolves around inflicting, and exploiting, elemental weaknesses.

Like, perhaps Aqua Breath would inflict a “Soaked” debuff on the target, causing damage over time and making them weak to electric Blue damage. Hit a soaked enemy with Dragon’s Voice, and it consumes the Soaked debuff to do massive damage and inflict a “sparking” debuff. Hit them with an earthquake attack, and the target takes huge damage from a dust explosion. And so on.

Perhaps Expose Weakness would have been used to both reduce defenses, and cause those debuff to stick around after the first trigger.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Something like that perhaps.

I just hipe they add more rewarsa to the carnivale. I did the ADS one last night and it does not fool around

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Lars wrote: »
    I'd rather just work on BLU every now and then when I feel like it, but I'm worried that it will be difficult to get Blue Mage runs of the level 50 content later on, since you can't directly queue for it. That's a bummer.

The primals at least you'll have WT parties for, who can hard carry a couple BLU without trying.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Roegadyn
    Oh yeah, need mind blast for the lvl20 job quest?

And it's all the way at the end of a dungeon?

And it's not a guaranteed drop?

Cool, cool.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited January 2019
    Roegadyn
    But hey at least I got my chocobo to rank 10 finally

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    Lalafell
    There's gotta be something else that casts Mind Blast, right? Blue Magic doesn't care what the actual mob is, so long as it uses the prescribed attack.

I thought the Psycheflayer boss from Amdapor normal (level 50 dungeon, so echhh) would be a good candidate, but he casts Mind Melt.

This discussion has been closed.