As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Government Shutdown 2018/2019 - read mod post on pg 23

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Taximes was warned for this.
    On one hand, I don't mind the President having folksy or informal events (in the right context).

On the other hand, if I was invited to the White House for a once-in-a-lifetime fancy banquet and it was a table full of fucking Big Macs I would be so disappointed.

Does he think he can get McDonald's to sponsor The Wall™, brought to you by McDonald's ®?

Taximes on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Has there been anything new from the group including Manchin about creating some sort of face saving bullshit to pretend that nobody caved and we can have a Government again?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't feel like I heard anything about talks for the government to reopen. Congress and the Senate are in session and back to work right?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I don't feel like I heard anything about talks for the government to reopen. Congress and the Senate are in session and back to work right?

The former, yes.

The latter... Eeeeh....

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I keep looking at these photos and inching closer to an existential breakdown

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

McConnel wont work on anything without Trumps approval, and Trump wont approve anything that isn’t already worked out.

The US Government is caught in the catch 22 of Trumps laziness and vanity, and McConnels fecklessness and ambition.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

McConnel wont work on anything without Trumps approval, and Trump wont approve anything that isn’t already worked out.

The US Government is caught in the catch 22 of Trumps laziness and vanity, and McConnels fecklessness and ambition.

Don't forget the Democrats have taken the reasonable position of no legislation other than fixing the shutdown (or parts thereof, like guaranteeing most furloghs get paid).

So McConnell is well and truly fucked. He can't do anything non-shutdown related, and he can't do anything shutdown related, because the wall is a non-starter for Democrats, and no wall is a non-starter for Trump.

But, he's also the only person who CAN do something.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So you put the wolf and the cabbage in the boat...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So you put the wolf and the cabbage in the boat...

So... the wolf is Trump's base, and Trump is the cabbage?

And the answer is you then sink the boat?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    McConnell has to have an announcement at some point. I simply don't see how this is tenable

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    McConnell already did his signature punt, he has made it clear it is not his problem to deal with.
    It is his problem. He needs to put on his big turtle pants and send Trump a clean bill to sign, but he won't because while he is shrewd, he is in his heart of hearts, a coward.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    McConnell has to have an announcement at some point. I simply don't see how this is tenable

Here is the way the US government works.

1) Nobody can make the house of representatives do ANYTHING they don't want to. The senate can vote 100-0 for something with a direct mandate from the president and if the dems don't want it, it's not happening.
    2) Nobody can make the US Senate do ANYTHING they don't want to. The house can vote 535-0 for something with a direct mandate from the president and if the republicans don't want it, it's not happening.
    3) The President can be overridden by 2/3 vote in each house. If 2/3 of each house agrees they want something, then the Presidents opinion is irrelevant.
    4) The Democrats in the house have said they will NEVER give Trump money for a wall.
    5) Trump has said he will NEVER re-open the government without wall money.
    6) The Senate has indicated 100-0 that it would happily fund the government without wall money until January.

There is literally only one way out, and that is to have congress (specifically the Senate) overrule Trump. Either McConnell has a vote, or the country is at an end.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    McConnell wants the base back. And the only way to get the base back is to make their whitest of White Knights the fall guy. Let this go past missed paycheck #2, even let it affect SNAP and TANF benefits next month; when the deep red south loses its food stamps and starts to hurt they'll be ready to burn anyone they have to, to get them back. When Lindsay Graham's seat is in jeopardy because nobody got their WIC benefits and the phones in his office are melting, he'll abandon that ship like the rat he is. Then you pass the wall-free budget and override the Trump veto and make sure the base knows, you passed the bill because you had their best interests at heart, not Trump. Trump's an out of touch billionaire willing to let them suffer. He misled them, he misled all Republicans. You're not passing this bill because the Democrats want to, you're passing it for all good, wholesome Republicans everywhere.

This also has the knock-on effect of, when the Mueller report comes out, the base isn't exactly upset when you impeach the guy who was willing to let them go hungry over a wall. Then Pence muddles about for two years, you let him lose in 2020, you obstruct 4 years of a Democrat presidency, and you're back in charge by 2024.

That's what I'd do at least, if I was a piece of shit and facing the Kobayashi Maru of politics.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Graham should already be feeling pressure from his own constituency because farmers are starting to get tooled over by all this. It's why he's making it a point to say he won't be swayed by "outside" pressure and the like. It's a deflection but he knows the shit is gonna come down soon.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    McConnell wants the base back. And the only way to get the base back is to make their whitest of White Knights the fall guy. Let this go past missed paycheck #2, even let it affect SNAP and TANF benefits next month; when the deep red south loses its food stamps and starts to hurt they'll be ready to burn anyone they have to, to get them back. When Lindsay Graham's seat is in jeopardy because nobody got their WIC benefits and the phones in his office are melting, he'll abandon that ship like the rat he is. Then you pass the wall-free budget and override the Trump veto and make sure the base knows, you passed the bill because you had their best interests at heart, not Trump. Trump's an out of touch billionaire willing to let them suffer. He misled them, he misled all Republicans. You're not passing this bill because the Democrats want to, you're passing it for all good, wholesome Republicans everywhere.

This also has the knock-on effect of, when the Mueller report comes out, the base isn't exactly upset when you impeach the guy who was willing to let them go hungry over a wall. Then Pence muddles about for two years, you let him lose in 2020, you obstruct 4 years of a Democrat presidency, and you're back in charge by 2024.

That's what I'd do at least, if I was a piece of shit and facing the Kobayashi Maru of politics.

It's almost beautiful; Mitch would effectively sit back and let the base turn on the man who stole them from the establishment and wasted time and effort on insane gambits like blind firing tariffs in every direction and undermining american credibility with it's sphere of influence.

Hell, he might even be able to spin this in a way that the democrats consider him someone they can do buisness with and the 24 hours walking back negative feedback on his soulessness.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Just boggles my mind that Trump is so willing to die on this hill. There are numbers indicating this is even hurting him with his base now, and that will only get worse the longer this drags on. It's an entirely self-inflicted wound. But then, nobody ever accused him of being a rational actor.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Just boggles my mind that Trump is so willing to die on this hill. There are numbers indicating this is even hurting him with his base now, and that will only get worse the longer this drags on. It's an entirely self-inflicted wound. But then, nobody ever accused him of being a rational actor.

The Wall was his one huge, memorable campaign promise. His big applause line (besides Lock Her Up).

I don't think Trump cares much about his credibility, but The Wall is so closely entwined with his presidency that it kind of is the one hill he has to die on.

Also, Trump's a racist, old idiot so he probably also really wants The Wall to keep out The Other.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Every story about the shutdown is not a story about Maria Butina, or Paul Manafort, or any other piece of the Mueller investigation. It's not a story about Trump being a Russian agent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump tries to keep the shutdown going until he's out of office, one way or another.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    To be fair, the major stories I saw on CNN last night were: Trump as Russian Agent; Barr having a potential conflict re: Mueller investigation; subpoena for the interpreter.

Shutdown-as-distraction may be working slightly, but it certainly isn’t succeeding, if that makes sense.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    To be fair, the major stories I saw on CNN last night were: Trump as Russian Agent; Barr having a potential conflict re: Mueller investigation; subpoena for the interpreter.

Shutdown-as-distraction may be working slightly, but it certainly isn’t succeeding, if that makes sense.

If anything I think the Mueller stuff is distracting from the shutdown. :razz:

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Just boggles my mind that Trump is so willing to die on this hill. There are numbers indicating this is even hurting him with his base now, and that will only get worse the longer this drags on. It's an entirely self-inflicted wound. But then, nobody ever accused him of being a rational Q actor.

Graham already painted him into a corner with the "wall or bust" statement he put out saying that if Trump backs down over this issue this time that his Presidency is effectively over.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Fawst wrote: »

I’m not sure who the shutdown is supposed to be distracting, cause this has caused Trump to poll underwater with his base, making the shutdown a pretty shitty distraction.

That said, there’s no strategy here. The mean TV people said Trump has a tiny penis and he now has to prove he’s the biggest ever. That’s all this is.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not even really distracting the new networks.

They weighed the shutdown in one hand and the increasingly more likely chance that the President is actually compromised by Russia/actively working with Russia and went "yeah no the shutdown isn't all that exciting at the moment"

• Options
    Now we need to end the shutdown because another caravan is coming and the only thing that will stop this second caravan, is a thing we didn't have in place for the first one that was coming a couple months ago.

A big new Caravan is heading up to our Southern Border from Honduras. Tell Nancy and Chuck that a drone flying around will not stop them. Only a Wall will work. Only a Wall, or Steel Barrier, will keep our Country safe! Stop playing political games and end the Shutdown!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The caravan could march to the Yukon by the time the wall is done if you started building it today.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    and that 5 billion dollars would barely cover the surveying work for your wall much less build any of it

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

The unfortunate thing is that you run into the Nixon/Vietnam problem. McConnell’s optimal strategy is ultimately good for everyone, but the optimal time to play that strategy involves waiting until significant numbers of people get hurt unnecessarily to maximize personal gain.

Assuming McConnell is at least moderately sociopathic, which is a safe assumption at this point there are a bunch of people going to get hurt in the short and long run for basically no other reason than to give the Republican party and McConnell specifically a better chance at the 2020 and 2024.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    and that 5 billion dollars would barely cover the surveying work for your wall much less build any of it

Yes the fact that $5 Billion dollars wouldn't actually get him any kind of wall is sadly missing from the discourse on this issue. When it should be one of the main points, that he's keeping us shutdown for something that even if he got it, wouldn't be enough to do what he wants to do.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I’m unsure if Nixon/Vietnam in an analogy is the best example of long term good, even from a purely GOP perspective.

The man sabotaged peace talks to win influence one election, making the war longer, then tried to steal the next election. You could make a straight line between Nixon to Trump, which alone wouldn’t make it an overall good.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Its pirely symbolic at this point. He knows he's not getting his wall but getting the 5 billion will give him enough cover with his base to say he did.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Viskod wrote: »

Yes the fact that $5 Billion dollars wouldn't actually get him any kind of wall is sadly missing from the discourse on this issue. When it should be one of the main points, that he's keeping us shutdown for something that even if he got it, wouldn't be enough to do what he wants to do.

The $5 billion was always going to wind up being a down payment. If Trump gets his money he'll absolutely be asking for more almost immediately, and once there's some wall there will always be the opportunity to dump more and more money on it.

EDIT: Even further, it'll become the ever-project for Trump and all the racist d-bags in congress. Vote for me so we can finish the wall!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Or he'd build enough prototype walls that dont work to get a phot-op and declare victory

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Or he'd build enough prototype walls that dont work to get a phot-op and declare victory

There is already plenty of wall he could use for that! Victory could already be declared!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Just boggles my mind that Trump is so willing to die on this hill. There are numbers indicating this is even hurting him with his base now, and that will only get worse the longer this drags on. It's an entirely self-inflicted wound. But then, nobody ever accused him of being a rational Q actor.

Graham already painted him into a corner with the "wall or bust" statement he put out saying that if Trump backs down over this issue this time that his Presidency is effectively over.

I fail to see the issue here.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

I fail to see the issue here.

Trump will pick "wall" at all costs. Mainly because he doesn't have to pay.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    $174k a year is unlikely to be more than enough to make them more than middle class even if they are in Congress for a good period of time.

Given they are pretty much required to have two residences one of which in DC that kind of pay is not that out of line. If that is all you have it puts you into the upper side of the middle class but the whole needing two places of residence eats a lot of that depending where your home is.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    $174k a year is unlikely to be more than enough to make them more than middle class even if they are in Congress for a good period of time.

Given they are pretty much required to have two residences one of which in DC that kind of pay is not that out of line. If that is all you have it puts you into the upper side of the middle class but the whole needing two places of residence eats a lot of that depending where your home is.

They also need to constantly travel between them, don't they? Plane tickets must add up.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Any discussion about how to make shutdowns even harder to handle would more productively focus on ways to never have another shutdown.

The reason that this is going on so long isn't because the pain isn't severe enough. It's because Republicans have spent time deadening those nerves.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    kaid was warned for this.
    Removing random fast food side track.

kaid on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Any discussion about how to make shutdowns even harder to handle would more productively focus on ways to never have another shutdown.

The reason that this is going on so long isn't because the pain isn't severe enough. It's because Republicans have spent time deadening those nerves.

Yep. If we are going to change laws making Congress's appropriations nullified or just elected representative's salaries tied to the passing of budget bills...how about changing laws to make this literally impossible instead? Same with the debt ceiling increase. There are numerous ways to do it, and I'm sure plenty of clever staffers who can come up with some good ones without bad incentives as well.

This discussion has been closed.