As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestle(ing)] Kingdom, the live-action CGI event, January 4th

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    But it wasn't objectifying.

gonna have to cut you off here, bud, cause that’s not for you to decide esp when it’s a woman telling you so

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

gonna have to cut you off here, bud, cause that’s not for you to decide esp when it’s a woman telling you so
    Er....

One can have a difference of opinion. We have this thing called a brain and intellect. Situations can be debated. Alpha's opinion of it not being objectifying is valid.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    This is going to go incredibly well.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I think it was dumb. Like Enzo running around naked. Like the numerous times someone had something put in the food/water so they act like they are going to shit themselves. I hope it doesn't lead to anything and we just roll our eyes and forget about it. We've come a long way from bra and panties matches and Trish barking like a dog. I don't think we're headed back that way, but really only time will tell.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Ken O wrote: »
    I think it was dumb. Like Enzo running around naked. Like the numerous times someone had something put in the food/water so they act like they are going to shit themselves. I hope it doesn't lead to anything and we just roll our eyes and forget about it. We've come a long way from bra and panties matches and Trish barking like a dog. I don't think we're headed back that way, but really only time will tell.

Yeah, it was really stupid. The main thing that bothers me is that it's just poor writing. There was zero payoff, very little to (obviously) link it to the HM incident with the tag belts, and if the goal WAS to titillate, she was more covered than she normally was, so it failed there too.

Maybe it's long term storytell- haha, I couldn't even finish that.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Did anyone ask Alexa how she felt about the segment? Seems like a lot of feelings and opinions are being projected onto someone who has both of her own.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm gonna assume Alexa's opinion is "I'd like to stay employed", so

She's not gonna be answering that one

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »

Er....

One can have a difference of opinion. We have this thing called a brain and intellect. Situations can be debated. Alpha's opinion of it not being objectifying is valid.

tenor.gif

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    if being half-naked wasn't the only reason they had women wrestlers since Trish and Lita left then that segment would have been a good laugh I guess

but there is a history of this bullshit fanservice

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Flip just hurt his knee at the ROH show and had to get helped to the back

MCL sprain, out at least a month

Chris Sabin tore his ACL again the day before this. He turns 37 in three weeks, I don't know how much more of the business his body can take

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    But it wasn't objectifying. There was nothing there to look at, there was actively less to look at than normal. There wasn't king in the background yelling look at those puppies. It was a nothing scene and there was nothing titillating about it.

I agree it's unnecessary though because it did nothing.

The measure of objectification or titilation isn't just a linear function of fraction of exposed skin. Context and implication make a big difference. In this case, the implication of peeping, or walking in on a topless woman, is going to be more sexual for most people than someone wearing their athletic clothing to an athletic competition. For example, what's more titilating, a person in a beach volleyball outfit playing beach volleyball, or that same person wearing a towel just walking out of the shower? The very fact that it was a nothing scene just reinforced that it's only purpose was sexual.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If I shot someone in the face and failed it wouldn't be a murder but it would still be attempted murder, it doesnt become misdemeanor assault or anything but what it was meant to be

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    But it wasn't objectifying. There was nothing there to look at, there was actively less to look at than normal. There wasn't king in the background yelling look at those puppies. It was a nothing scene and there was nothing titillating about it.

My bet is she pissed off Vince. It's no farting Nattie, but it's still a segment meant to degrade her.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »

The measure of objectification or titilation isn't just a linear function of fraction of exposed skin. Context and implication make a big difference. In this case, the implication of peeping, or walking in on a topless woman, is going to be more sexual for most people than someone wearing their athletic clothing to an athletic competition. For example, what's more titilating, a person in a beach volleyball outfit playing beach volleyball, or that same person wearing a towel just walking out of the shower? The very fact that it was a nothing scene just reinforced that it's only purpose was sexual.

For instance, the comments on the WWE's Youtube channel upload of the video in question are fucking abhorrent, in exactly the way you might expect.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Apparently JBL and Lawler are reportedly calling the Men's Royal Rumble this year

boy can I not think of a worse commentary duo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I didn't watch the segment or much WWE in general, but I did just listen to Trent? on Wrestlesplania and it sounds like exactly why he says he watches the PPVs, but not the weekly shows.

Whenever you turn into RAW the most embarrassing stuff is happening. Growing up I'd try to convince somebody to watch wrestling and some dumb shit like that would be happening and they'd look at you and go you like this? And then it would be an episode that is all that and some shitty matches and you just sit there thinking maybe I don't like this either. I guess I shouldn't have tried to change your mind about wrestling.

A lot of the dumb segments aren't just exploitative, they aren't good scenes, there's no point to them happening, and they don't lead to anything. They just exist for titillation or in the bigger example of these dumb embarrassing scenes to make some offensive grade school edgy joke that sucks.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The Geek wrote: »
    Miz is AWESOME
    Yes, really. It's an opinion. We all can have opinions. That doesn't make the opinion correct, but what was specifically thrown at him was he was wrong and shouldn't even voice it because he's a man.

That doesn't correct his opinion or point out why he might be wrong and most likely would make him dig in deeper. It would've been much easier to point out research in why he was incorrect (which took me five seconds to find on Wikipedia after the post which made VERY good arguments for why it could be objectifying).

It was definitely a shitty segment for way too many reasons, only one of which was potential objectification.
    Magell wrote: »
    A lot of the dumb segments aren't just exploitative, they aren't good scenes, there's no point to them happening, and they don't lead to anything. They just exist for titillation or in the bigger example of these dumb embarrassing scenes to make some offensive grade school edgy joke that sucks.
    Agreed and it's what pissed me off about the Alexa segment. Like, for example, switch two segments around.

Have the tag team title presentation and the weird / stalker behavior of HM dude followed by Alexa being nervous and unfocused and not hearing the knock or entrance of producer guy. Is it still crap? Hell yes, but at least it's a logical and potential storyline.

As it was shown, though, it was dumb.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently JBL and Lawler are reportedly calling the Men's Royal Rumble this year

They could bring in Mark Madden as the third man.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah good lord that's like "who are the worst commenters not named Tony Schiavone?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah good lord that's like "who are the worst commenters not named Tony Schiavone?"
    The podcast he's on with the Starrcast guy has made me retroactively love Schiavone. He was definitely not into it near the end of WCW, though.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular

Anything involving Matt Striker....

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

The podcast he's on with the Starrcast guy has made me retroactively love Schiavone. He was definitely not into it near the end of WCW, though.

To be fair bradshaw and lawler are worse than Tony and that's just a cheap shot at him. Hell I'd say Tazz in TNA was pretty abysmal, especially during his stint in the not nwo aces and eights. Tenay too when he went heel announcer was just obnoxious.

Its a tough line to walk when you're a heel announcer apparently.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »

Anything involving Matt Striker....

I'd take Matt Striker over JBL every single day of the week.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It's weird that I'm able to agree with so much about both sides of this argument because while what WWE did was in many ways regressive it was also incompetent. It's true that she was more covered up than she has been in the ring, or on Instagram, or in her career as a bodybuilder, or as her time being a tiny wood nymph who bathes in a teacup. It was also lazy writing because the setup is that we're following a random stage hand who's getting Alexa her coffee, a totally normal and interesting thing worth filming. Then she didn't hear him repeatedly knock despite being in a small locker room five feet away from the door. I was going to point out how the segment was too short to accomplish anything but then Sprout pointed out that this was apparently connected to the Otis bit at the end of A Moment of Bliss.

Side note: How slapdash were those debuts? I'm pretty sure EC3 was in line to use the toilet.

So yeah, it was objectifying but it was also bad at it and poorly communicated a dumb story where WWE filming her sexy mishaps turned Otis from a lovable loudmouth into a jabbering idiot. This is all supposed to endear us to Heavy Machinery somehow.

Dumb. Dumb and bad.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

My bet is she pissed off Vince. It's no farting Nattie, but it's still a segment meant to degrade her.

What?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

What?

Nattie had "uncontrollable flatulence" for months. Apparently she did something that pissed off Vince, and that was the storyline she got dealt as a result. This was only a few years back iirc.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I found the scene titillating. and being as there was no other purpose, even if there is a story being told, I'd say that's why she was in a state of undress.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh

Good

WON reports that the Alexa thing is just the beginning of an effort to make the product "sexier", along the Mandy Rose towel bullshit on Raw.

So look forward to more of this garbage!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Oh

Good

WON reports that the Alexa thing is just the beginning of an effort to make the product "sexier", along the Mandy Rose towel bullshit on Raw.

Ohhh, so this must be why Finn Balor is getting a push.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Oh

Good

I'm so glad that they're listening to the fans and "fixing" Raw by doubling down on the terrible shit.

I dunno, maybe they are. Maybe that's what fans want. I don't know.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Is this our fault

They said we were in charge now

Is this our fault???

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    It sounds slightly less bad than Impact having Scarlett Bourdeaux give Scott Steiner a lap dance on their twitch debut.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I really, really hope AEW ends up being a big deal. Because otherwise, this is the braintrust that runs wrestling.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Once again Lucha Underground proves that nobody should sign a contract with Lucha Underground.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Literally can’t wait to see how AEW milkshake ducks it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm still so bummed about all the LU stuff because they had a lot of great talent and it seems like they've really pissed all that away

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    WWE has found a new streaming infrastructure partner for the WWE Network.

WWE has signed with Endeavor Streaming and is leaving Disney Streaming Services, which was formerly known as BAMTech. Disney/BAMTech had been WWE's streaming provider since the Network launched in 2014.

The press release announcing the news included a statement from Vince McMahon on what the move could mean for WWE Network subscribers: "Endeavor Streaming’s best-in-class technology enables us to offer more features, elevate the user experience and provides us even more opportunity to delight our fans around the world."

In addition to joining Endeavor Streaming, Variety noted that WWE has announced a partnership with user-interface design firm Massive Interactive. WWE said the new partnerships are “part of our evolving strategy to own more of the WWE Network technology stack."

Endeavor is the parent company of the UFC, and UFC Fight Pass is also supported by Endeavor Streaming. Endeavor Streaming is newly created and was announced on Monday. Endeavor notes that incorporates their internal video platform technology with "OTT leader NeuLion, acquired by Endeavor in 2018, will be absorbed within the new group."

My Fight Pass experience was hell, and even with their most recent event users reported getting routinely spoiled by checking social media and finding live results posted from arena-attendants more recently than their feed was streaming, so good luck with this one

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Literally can’t wait to see how AEW milkshake ducks it.

I hope they don't.

I hope they gain a respectable degree of success and provide a solid alternative place for people to work that puts on an enjoyable show every week.

I'll probably be disappointed. But I hope not.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular

Rush is gonna main event the Garden.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.