As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I said "Lock-eee" as a kid, because apparently I was a fuckin' idiot back then.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I used to pronounce his name as rhyming with “cloak”.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

It's ok, my dad still says "shop-ee" if he sees a store with "Shoppe" in its name, because dad jokes. So you can always circle back around.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I've always pronounced Gau sorta like "Gah-O" phonetically. Gao I've since learned (via Downtown skits) is an onomatopoeia for a roar. Which Axen notes last page.

No idea on Celes. I went "Celestial" derived, but maybe it's more of an S sound a la SEELE or something.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I reinstalled XIII this morning. After beating XV, I decided I wanted to make may way through the series in reverse. I played and really enjoyed XIII several years ago, so I'm looking forward to the replaying it. I'm also gonna play 13-2 and 13-3 since I never touched either of those.

It's gonna be a long journey but I'm excited to experience the series in this way.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I reinstalled XIII this morning. After beating XV, I decided I wanted to make may way through the series in reverse. I played and really enjoyed XIII several years ago, so I'm looking forward to the replaying it. I'm also gonna play 13-2 and 13-3 since I never touched either of those.

It's gonna be a long journey but I'm excited to experience the series in this way.

Obviously you need to play 13-3 first.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I legit really like Lightning Returns, but it's also kind of infuriating as a completionist. Damn timers.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I dislike LR's performance on PS3. It looks like it's about to break lol. Having said that, it's a game designed to be replayed over and over and that was not what I expected back then. I played it with a guide and had fun but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that.

EDIT: It's the same reason I find it real hard to replay X-2.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I never finished LR, but I really liked it.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    So for me it is: Gau as in GAU-8, Cyan as in the color, Celes as in Celestial, and Relm is Realm.

Relm is definitely Realm, and I'm not sure what other pronunciation they're even thinking of. Are there deviants who pronounce it Reelm?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    So for me it is: Gau as in GAU-8, Cyan as in the color, Celes as in Celestial, and Relm is Realm.

Relm is definitely Realm, and I'm not sure what other pronunciation they're even thinking of. Are there deviants who pronounce it Reelm?

Rail-muh.

...Nah, after typing that, that's too much of a stretch. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Okay I am pretty confident Gau is Gow, like 99%.

Celes I am 100% sure is just Celes as in Celestial. Translated from Katakana her name is Serisu and if you know anything about Japanese pronunciations you just replace the 'r' with an 'l' and drop the 'u' and it's Celes as in Celestial.

Cyan being Ceyenne or better yet Kaien I am fine with. Though the spelling makes me wonder if someone on the localization team ended up finding out they've been pronouncing the color cyan wrong for years. :razz:

Relm has gotta be Realm. I've seen some people claim it is "Rilm", but that sounds pretty forced and begs the question why didn't they just spell her name "Rilm" then?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

Celes I am 100% sure is just Celes as in Celestial. Translated from Katakana her name is Serisu and if you know anything about Japanese pronunciations you just replace the 'r' with an 'l' and drop the 'u' and it's Celes as in Celestial.

Yeah she's in World of Final Fantasy and that's how they pronounce it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpNdv1ascOQ

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Celes' name goes well with Terra's, with the whole stars and earth themes. "Tina". . . just doesn't sound have the same impact.

edited January 2019
    Celes' name goes well with Terra's, with the whole stars and earth themes. "Tina". . . just doesn't sound have the same impact.

It probably does in Japan, is the thing. Over there, a western name apparently would sound more exotic and mysterious, fitting Terra’s unknown nature. Over here, it’s just a common name.

Enlong on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I know that feeling, I beat Omega and just rolled back to the save prior so I didnt have to use a ton of items... You only get a "Omega Badge" for beating him anyway.

Omega and Datalog was the last achievements in FFXV so I'm at 100% until Ardyn comes out.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I dislike LR's performance on PS3. It looks like it's about to break lol. Having said that, it's a game designed to be replayed over and over and that was not what I expected back then. I played it with a guide and had fun but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that.

EDIT: It's the same reason I find it real hard to replay X-2.

I was surprised to hear about FFXIII's framerate issues on PS3 since I played it on Xbox 360 (where they weren't great to begin with). They're...bad, apparently. Though at least the game is sharper looking.

I never beat X-2 the first time, though I intended to (as oppose to getting to the 11th hour of X and getting so pissed off at the Chocobo race that I put it down and never picked it up again).

You know, FFX has a cool weapon crafting system that I barely use? I think the only time I crafted weapons was for the Monster Collecting sidequest.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    You know, FFX has a cool weapon crafting system that I barely use? I think the only time I crafted weapons was for the Monster Collecting sidequest.

The weapon crafting system lets you break the game over your knee.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I never finished LR, but I really liked it.

The start left a bad taste in my mouth, like the gameplay threw out everything I liked about XIII and XIII-2.

Also, I made this for a discussion elsewhere and felt I should share it.
    8ZlADoP.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It would seem what he thought they were doing was probably more accurate,

• FryFry Registered User regular
    There was some interesting stuff theoretically possible with X's weapon crafting system, like "all of your characters are immune to physical attacks, because they automatically dodge and counter", but all of the interesting abilities were locked behind super rare ingredients that I couldn't be bothered to track down.

I'm pretty sure I ended up playing the whole back half of the game with all party members just equipping Monster Catching weapons. :X

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The last time I played FFX was when the remaster came out on PS4, but I have played it quite a bit in general and I don't know if I ever knew there was a weapon crafting system... I must've known about it because I can't imagine they don't tutorialize it and tell you about it, but holy shit I don't remember that at all.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The weapon thing opens up fairly late into the game, I think some time after Rikku joins your party officially.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited January 2019
    There were weapon abilities that would:
    1. Triple your overdrive accumulation.
    2. Convert all overdrive accumulation to AP
    3. Triple AP accumulation

You would set weapons like this up on 3 characters, and then go fight Don Tonberry. Bait Don into counter attacking someone who has their overdrive set to Stoic, with the other two having Comrade. You can get enough AP to max out the sphere grid in one fight.

IIRC Don's counterattack is based on how many kills a character has, so you want your counter bait to have killed a ton of monsters.

LD50 on
    The weapon thing opens up fairly late into the game, I think some time after Rikku joins your party officially.

not only is it when Rikku joins. Just like @Fry said, the more interesting options are behind super rare item drops so unlike say FF7, the cool options are basically for post game purposes. Also, kinda like FF8 I always ended up going with Auto Protect/Shell/Haste.

I mean it's cool but I think it kinda sucks that during the main game, unless you REALLY go out of your way, you don't get to toy around a lot with it. I just feel FF8 did it better with GF Passives.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

It probably does in Japan, is the thing. Over there, a western name apparently would sound more exotic and mysterious, fitting Terra’s unknown nature. Over here, it’s just a common name.

Hey at least they didn't name her like Kushnood Butt or something.

Final Fantasy in general loved western names though, especially in Japan. remember FF2 that never got a contemporary US release has characters named Gordon and Maria. Sabin was originally "Mathew". Edward was orginally "Gilbert" before he stole Edge's real name.

edited January 2019

Hey at least they didn't name her like Kushnood Butt or something.

Final Fantasy in general loved western names though, especially in Japan. remember FF2 that never got a contemporary US release has characters named Gordon and Maria. Sabin was originally "Mathew". Edward was orginally "Gilbert" before he stole Edge's real name.

Yeah Terra was Tina in Japan because it sounded more exotic and she was Terra in the west because it sounded more exotic.

Terra and Celes's names being related to the earth and the stars was just a happy coincidence.

edit- In my recent obsession to learn the proper pronunciation of FF6 names I have learned a ton of random FF6 trivia.

Axen on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I thought Sabin was "Mash" in Japan. And Strago was "Stragus".

I'm glad we ended up with the names for characters we got for North America. With the exception of Butz. He will always be Butz.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Not Final Fantasy, but I think my favorite examples of an RPG name being hilarious in the original Japanese both come from Tales of Symphonia. In the Japanese, the smart kid who was the party’s Black Mage was named Genius. And his sister, who acted as the healer, was named Refill. Refill.

I'm glad we ended up with the names for characters we got for North America. With the exception of Butz. He will always be Butz.

Yeah, technically in Japan Sabin's real name was Macias, but his friends called him Mash. Macias would've been a fine name in the west too, but I like Sabin just as well.

Strago was Stragus. I figure they changed his name cause Stragus Magus is kinda silly sounding.

More that “Stragos” couldn’t fit within 6 characters. So they lopped off the trailing “s”.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Yeah, technically in Japan Sabin's real name was Macias, but his friends called him Mash. Macias would've been a fine name in the west too, but I like Sabin just as well.

Strago was Stragus. I figure they changed his name cause Stragus Magus is kinda silly sounding.

It was apparently "Mashiasu" in Katakana, which given the limitations of Katakana does sound more like it's intended to be Macias or Matthias, I had heard it as Matthew but nicknamed Mash.

One thing with these names is you have to reverse transliterate a transliteration, which can garble things.

Like say you are Japanese and you want to name a character "Bill Johnson". Well, if it's an American character you probably just spell out Bill Johnson in roman characters, but if it's in a fantasy setting you are probably going to want to put it in Katakana so it doesn't stand out. You can't really directly spell it out in Katakana, so you go for something close, which may end up being something like Biru Jansan. Which is great and most Japanese people probably get what you mean, but now years later a translator tries to back translate that to English without necessarily knowing what you meant, and maybe it ends up being that the English version of your game/book/whatever ends up with the hero Beer Jansen.

Jealous Deva on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    More that “Stragos” couldn’t fit within 6 characters. So they lopped off the trailing “s”.

Weep, weep for the alternative timeline where we got “Stragu”, Strago’s evil twin.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Beer Jansen may not be the hero we need, but he is the hero we deserve.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Weep, weep for the alternative timeline where we got “Stragu”, Strago’s evil twin.

St. Ragu, Pastamancer.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

St. Ragu, Pastamancer.

He's a Red Mage

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

St. Ragu, Pastamancer.

He's a Red Mage

Considering the type of magic he casts, he's more of a Cordon Bleu Mage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter