As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    To be fair, I wouldn't really call "America" a civilization.

Am wearing your blue jeans, though.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    To be fair, I wouldn't really call "America" a civilization.

If you are talking about the US specifically rather than just the name “America” which is a bad name but less awkward than having a “USA” civ, I am not sure I would agree, just because a civ is new doesn’t make it not a civ.

The US, Canada, and Australia are pretty distinct from Great Britain culturally, politically, and geographically, and I would say Brazil is pretty distinct from portugal.

You wouldn’t say, for example, that the Dutch weren’t a civilization because the events that led to them becoming culturally distinct from Germany didn’t happen to occur until the 1500s, and India didn’t really coalesce until the 20th century as a united culture (if civ were made 200 years ago you would probably have 4 or 5 different civs representing India as there wasn’t much of a concept of ‘India’ per se)I don’t know why the post-colonial civs should be different.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of civs that can use bad terrain types well. Also culture/diplomatic victory? Sign me up.
    Canada can buy snow tiles for cheaper but I didn't see anything about snow tiles being useful to them at all. Aside from the adjacency bonuses for hockey, but adjacency bonuses don't require tile ownership.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of civs that can use bad terrain types well. Also culture/diplomatic victory? Sign me up.
    Canada can buy snow tiles for cheaper but I didn't see anything about snow tiles being useful to them at all. Aside from the adjacency bonuses for hockey, but adjacency bonuses don't require tile ownership.
    Being able to farm them doesn’t count?
    What about the Strategic Resource doubling?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    They can farm tundra tiles not snow.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2018

Tundra is also useless, to be honest. If I put a city down in Tundra it's entirely for strategic resources.

A duck! on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Tundra is also useless, to be honest. If I put a city down in Tundra it's entirely for strategic resources.

Or you have a Brunelleschi build you St. Basil's and get a mega city. I was building spaceship parts in like 6 turns in the tundra not long ago.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Deal for the next 20 hrs: Civ VI gold edition for $35 on https://www.chrono.gg/tb I think that has to be the best deal for anyone who doesn't own Civ VI yet.

And tomorrow they'll announce the next civ, which has got to be the Inca based on the hints they dropped. Reaaaally curious what they're going to do with traversing mountains.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The Canada stream last week showed that there is Tunnel tech in the industrial-ish era, which presumably lets roads go through mountain tiles. Also Culture Bomb units are back in the form of Rock Bands (which cost Faith to buy)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Head for the hills.

Qhapaq Nan: Domestic trade routes gain +1 food for every mountain in the territory of the origin city.
    Mit'a: Citizens can work mountain tiles. All mountain tiles in your territory gain +1 food for each adjacent terrace farm and +2 production.
    Warak'aq: Replaces the skirmisher. Can attack twice per turn as long as it's movement points have not been exhausted. Has increased ranged combat strength.
    Qhapaq Nan (yes, same name as the leader ability): Unique improvement that unlocks with foreign trade. Two Qhapaq Nans built on the same mountain range allows units to teleport from one to another, at the cost of 2 movement points.
    Terrace Farm: Unique improvement that can only be build on grassland hills, plains hills, or desert hills. +1 food. +1 housing for every two adjacent terrace farms. +1 food for each adjacent mountain. +2 production for each adjacent aqueduct. +1 production if adjacent to a source of fresh water and not adjacent to any aqueducts (does not stack).

• Options
    Oh wow, do you think those bonuses out-do the priority of specialty districts that get adjacency bonuses from mountains?

• Options
    Oh wow, do you think those bonuses out-do the priority of specialty districts that get adjacency bonuses from mountains?

Probably not, considering how important it is get good adjacency bonuses on your districts so you can use policy cards on them later.

Still, the Inca are certain to have a mountain start bias, so the situations where you have to choose one or the other should be few and far between.

• Options
    That is very, very similar to the final Civ 5 Vox Populi mod version of the Inca.

• Options
    The best things in life are free. For everything else, there's the Mali.

Sahel Merchants: Internation trade routes get +1 gold for every flat desert tile in the origin city. Every time you get a golden age, your trade capacity permanently increases by 1.
    Songs of U Jelly: City centers get +1 food and +1 faith for every adjacent desert and desert hill tile. Mines generate +4 gold, but also 1 less production than usual. Commercial hub buildings may be purchased with faith. Buildings and units cost 30% more production than normal.
    Mandekalu Cavalry: Replaces the knight. Trader units on land within 4 tiles are invincible. Killing an enemy unit grants gold equal to the base combat strength of the dead enemy.
    Suguba: Replaces the commercial hub. +2 gold for each adjacent holy site, and +1 gold for every 2 adjacent districts. +2 gold if built on a river. Does not have a special adjacency bonus for harbors like the normal commercial hub. Gold and faith purchases in the city are 20% cheaper.

• Options
    That is an extremely bizarre set of empire bonuses.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I fucking love it. I wish that trader protection came earlier, by the time knights are around my traders are usually okay. (I play peaceful 80% of the time, so barbs are my biggest trade concern)

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    That's more thematically consistent than most of the civs. Go make a ton of money, then figure it out.

• Options
    Doesn't mention it in the video, but apparently -30% to hammers when making buildings and units. So they really, really want you to buy stuff.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    They’ve really leaned in on making him proto-Morgan.

It seems like the new civs are more gimmicky than the older ones, I don’t really know yet if that is good or bad.

• Options

It seems like the new civs are more gimmicky than the older ones, I don’t really know yet if that is good or bad.

Some people think Anton Stringer's team prefers to make subtler and more nuanced civs, while Ed Beach's team likes to make the more flashy ones. So Civ 6 should end up with a healthy mix of both if they continue to alternate expansions.

• Options

A bunch of vanilla civs have bonuses that were all over the map: +1 faith here, +1 gold there, something with religion on one specific terrain and a unit that does something completely different from all the previous bonuses. I prefer the more focused civs they've introduced so far. Although I am a bit leery about Canada, which leans heavily into the dank memes with Hockey and politeness.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    More focused Civs means fewer by the numbers games imo, I like it.

I really want Venice back, that was a great change of pace in 5

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

He probably was the richest human who ever lived. Like he broke the Egyptian economy after he visited because he threw around so much gold. For like a decade.

• Options
    I feel like Mali is really going to have issues with acquiring wonders. The new university of Sankore looks really good for them (also Big Ben), but I'm not sure how they compete for it.

Steam
  • Options
    I THINK the production malus doesn't apply to wonders. And you should be able to buy a ton of extra stuff with your money rather than use hammers so maybe you'll have more time.

• Options
    Great Engineers with faith could do the trick. Or just buy enough production generators to grab it.

• Options
    I THINK the production malus doesn't apply to wonders. And you should be able to buy a ton of extra stuff with your money rather than use hammers so maybe you'll have more time.

Oh, if it doesn't apply to wonders than never mind. They still may have some difficulty, with probably building fewer industrial sites, but with extra trade routes and throwing money around they can probably catch up.

Steam
  • Options
    They might want a ton of industrial zones for the engineer points and trade hammers though.

• Options
    They might want a ton of industrial zones for the engineer points and trade hammers though.

That's interesting, but i don't know. Maybe? My initial impression is to focus on commerce and holy districts first, but i intrigued by the industrial district plan as well. Very excited to try out this civ.

Steam
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Songs of U Jelly sounds like a meme music video title.

• Options
    I also think it's interesting that they more than most want to keep forested hills around. Which could play into some of the more environmentalism focused gameplay?

• Options

That's interesting, but i don't know. Maybe? My initial impression is to focus on commerce and holy districts first, but i intrigued by the industrial district plan as well. Very excited to try out this civ.

Assuming the “buy districts” governor promotion survives into the expansion, you could just send her on a grand tour, buying zones as and when.
    Careful planning is required, I think.

• Options

I would prefer the existing Civs get updated along this line of design to be frank. Especially if it includes taking a penalty of some sort in exchange for a bonus. It reinforces uniqueness among them all, making the preferred strategies that much more clearer.

• Options

Yeah, I feel like the Mali are going to be very good at wonders and projects because they're going to be buying most of the stuff that you would normally build. I normally ignore projects, but the Mali might be the first civ that makes me want to use them on the reg.
    Heffling wrote: »
    Songs of U Jelly sounds like a meme music video title.

The ability is actually called "Songs of the Jeli". I couldn't resist having a bit of fun, especially in light of Mansa Musa's famous habit of flashin' his cash. :P

Assuming the “buy districts” governor promotion survives into the expansion, you could just send her on a grand tour, buying zones as and when.
    Careful planning is required, I think.

Not only is the Financier keeping her "buy districts with gold" ability, they're also replacing the Cardinal's "build holy site buildings faster" ability with a new "buy districts with faith" ability.

Of course, you'll need eight governor promotions to unlock both abilities.

• Options
    Stuff from the stream:

L2DPjn6.png

Queueing! Multiple cities at once!

mB315Wy.png
    Pingala buffed, especially if you can make big cities.

Cahokia in as a commercial city state. Their unique bonus is real good.

vwZutRA.png

Sankore:
    qXuD9SN.png

And they did confirm Mali has no production penalty for wonders.

• Options
    Why settle for pretty good people?

Minerva of the North: Buildings with three or more great work slots and wonders with two or more great work slots are automatically considered themed when they are filled, even if their great works don't match.
    Nobel Prize: Just by being present on the map, Sweden causes three extra competitions to appear in the world congress. Sweden gets 50 diplomatic favor every time they recruit a great person, an extra great engineer point from each factory, and an extra great scientist point from each university.
    Carolean: Replaces the pike & shot. Has more movement points. +3 combat strength for each unused movement point.
    Queen's Bibliotheque: Tier 2 government plaza building. Has 2 writing slots, 2 music slots, and 2 art slots. Grants a governor title upon completion.
    Open-air Museum: Unique tile improvement. One per city. +2 loyalty. +2 culture and +2 tourism for each different terrain type a Swedish city has been founded on. The possible terrain types are grassland, plain, desert, tundra, and snow, making the maximum possible bonus +10 culture and +10 tourism. Cannot be swapped between cities.
    Nobel Peace Prize: One of the unique competitions that can appear in the world congress when Sweden is on the map. Grants score based on how much diplomatic favor is earned while the competition is active. Grants a great artist to the half of players in the game who have the highest score. Grants a great engineer and an additional great artist to the quarter of the players in the game who have the highest score. Grants a great musician and a great scientist to the player with the highest score of all.

• Options
    +10 culture and tourism per city seems like it can be fucking ridiculous.

• Options
    That is an interesting collection of stuff. One I have to play to figure out, but isn't as exciting as Mali to me.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Sweden looks pretty legit for culture wins. It's got everything I'd want for a culture victory, yes I'm pretty happy with how it looks.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Maaan, Pedro is gonna be so pissed…