As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's DaughterIn love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
Supra info finally has been officially released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-BXpnAM0PQ

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/gr-supra/section/performance-section

What's your take on the final production specs and looks?

Apparently those HP numbers are probably a bit low as these BMW engines tend to be reported at a number that is closer to WHP as opposed to the BHP as expected from manufacturers.

Car talk! Ahoy!

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I think it looks great for a 2019 car. Hope it sells well. Wrong number of pedals, but...

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I think it's pretty cool.

The styling is bizarre in a way that I don't hate and sometimes like a lot.

If it had come out like a year or two ago it would probably be more on my radar and be a potential buy for me.

I look forward to seeing what people do with them though.

Considering they want roughly 50k for them, I think this is a fantastic car to purchase in approximately 2023.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I'm going to be as disappointed by this as I am the new NSX, but most signs point to "yeah, probably".

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2019
    Considering they want roughly 50k for them, I think this is a fantastic car to purchase in approximately 2023.

£50k over here for the base model. With the top-spec that gets you matt-grey paint pushing £58k ($74k)

Definitely well in the range of "purchase after a substantial lottery win", so I'll stick with my 86 and enjoy having that third pedal

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

£50k over here for the base model. With the top-spec that gets you matt-grey paint pushing £58k

Definitely well in the range of "purchase after a substantial lottery win", so I'll stick with my 86 and enjoy having that third pedal

And if you want to go as fast, there's the Coyoda turbo kit. If you wanna go faster, plenty of companies sell LS/LT conversion kits.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Upper 40s to 50k was what I was hoping. And considering how many people were speculating 60k-70k I'd say the pricing isn't too bad for what it is.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I fucking love Toyota Supras

now to save

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the Supra has a BMW 6-cylinder? that's a good engine

50 grand though lul

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I paid off my car last month and received the title in the mail this week!

And before you all say nooooo, Janson, don’t jinx yourself, I’m way ahead of you! I ran it under a truck and did $2.6k of damage to it a week before I made my final payment.

Janson on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oh thank god this is back. So, cleaning my fuel injectors. Can I do this myself? Place I get my work done quoted about 100 for it, which frankly is the cost I'm seeing for the kit. It's unclear to me how much of the kit is re-useable, and wiki how makes it look fairly doable, just a question of time and money. It does NOT look like I can borrow the kit and just get the cleaning fluid from auto-zone sadly. 2013 Honda CR-Z hybrid, if it matters.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Only 7300 miles on the new mustang I got in April of 2017. I'm not driving enough.

Kaplar wrote: »
    Only 7300 miles on the new mustang I got in April of 2017. I'm not driving enough.

Dang, do you have multiple cars or do you manage to drive even less than I do?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I may or may not have purchased a new car over the weekend (Hyundai Kona)

uu20kkqz9a2m.png

I really love the crazy color though.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That’s an awesome color!

My car is an electric blue, it’s not that common around here and I love being able to pick out my car amongst a sea of black and silver and white cars.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

I guess I drive less. Mostly to/from work lately.

Oh thank god this is back. So, cleaning my fuel injectors. Can I do this myself? Place I get my work done quoted about 100 for it, which frankly is the cost I'm seeing for the kit. It's unclear to me how much of the kit is re-useable, and wiki how makes it look fairly doable, just a question of time and money. It does NOT look like I can borrow the kit and just get the cleaning fluid from auto-zone sadly. 2013 Honda CR-Z hybrid, if it matters.

What does the "kit" entail?

I guess I drive less. Mostly to/from work lately.

Impressive! I'm a homebody and I live about 8min from where I work and still manage to put on about 10k per year.

What does the "kit" entail?

Something like this appears to be recommended? https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/fuel-injector-cleaner/mityvac-fuel-injection-cleaning-kit/972277_0_0

I'm trying to figure out what that thing does from looking at the picture, as far as I can tell it just releases a varnish-cleaning solvent into the fuel system slowly? You can achieve the same effect by just dumping a whole bottle of fuel system cleaner like Redline Fuel Injector Cleaner in your tank. Those things work, I've used them before.

To get the injectors removed and cleaned in an ultrasonic bath is a much more involved process, but is the only way to actually guarantee your injectors will be as clean as new, no matter what.

I've exclusively gone the fuel additive route for cleaning my injectors. (Disclosure: I have no evidence aside from "feels better" regarding their efficacy.)

Kits seem to be a hose with an indicator and a bottle of cleaner. I'd have to assume they have several uses in them.

As it turns out I was wrong, I did a bit more poking around and it seems those kits are meant for removing the injectors from the car and forcing solvent through them one by one. Doesn't have any injector adapters though, how much does that cost? And I'd bet cents to the dollar it won't clean them as well as a proper ultrasonic bath cleaning will.

If you're going to the effort of removing the injectors, may as well get them cleaned thoroughly.

At that point, may as well have the shop do it, eh?

Ah alright, i may try the fuel additive then, if it actually cleans them. Any opinion on that Chris? I'm just not wanting to buy pure snake oil and needing to get the service done later anyway on top of it.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    At that point, may as well have the shop do it, eh?

Depends on what the shop is actually going to do for your money. Are they scamming you by charging $200 to pour a useless bottle of cleaner in your tank or are they actually pulling the injectors to put them in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Personally, until you've got evidence from the OBDC readings that your long term fuel trims are way out indicating an injector issue, I wouldn't go to the effort or cost of pulling the injectors. And given that gas has mandatory detergents in it already, I wouldn't waste money on the little bottles of cleaner either, in general your injectors will go a long time without maintenance. My truck owners manual for example, lists no inspection or maintenance interval for fuel injectors out to max 150,000 miles. As pointed out, if the injectors really are dirty enough to require cleaning then they'll need a good ultrasonic cleaning, not just more solvent.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Ah alright, i may try the fuel additive then, if it actually cleans them. Any opinion on that Chris? I'm just not wanting to buy pure snake oil and needing to get the service done later anyway on top of it.

If your injectors are lightly varnished, any of them should do the trick. I trust brands like Redline because they're definitely enthusiast-biased and have less market saturation, and if their shit doesn't work that news spreads around the enthusiast community very quickly, and nobody ever buys it again. Bigger brands like Chevron can get away with a less effective product because they are sold fucking everywhere and trade mostly off brand recognition.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wecVzPzf8R4

The new GT 500 also debuted at Detroit. Horsepower war? What horsepower war?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    fuuuck this car looks good

https://youtu.be/Ka4Vo_ZvUaM

In less good looking car news, it's been raining a lot here but I can hardly tell driving my 2018 crosstrek. Shit is so grippy it makes me want to drive like an idiot in the rain.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I wish I was a trust fund kid so I could spend all my time following the motor show circuit and visiting places like Gatebil and Goodwood.

• stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    No three pedals no Supra for me. They make a TRD version with tons of boost and I will get one. Got some time in a LC500 this week and I am in love. Not 100K in love but 50K used definitely. AKA would have it over the Supra.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    No three pedals no Supra for me. They make a TRD version with tons of boost and I will get one. Got some time in a LC500 this week and I am in love. Not 100K in love but 50K used definitely. AKA would have it over the Supra.

Buy the new BMW Z4, same car, more HP. I personally find nothing appealing about the Supra as far as the heritage angle goes. Toyota pretty much brought next to nothing to the table on this one.

Edit: Z4, not M4.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Internal combustion engine?

Quaint.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm sure one day I'll have an electric every day car once the prices come down and the range goes up (or more/quicker charging areas), but my heart will always be the property of a big v8 with a manual transmission.

webguy20 on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    no manual on the supra? what is this dumb universe

Jasconius wrote: »
    no manual on the supra? what is this dumb universe

Whats interesting is that BMW is more than likely offering a manual in the Z4 in Europe. We might see international Supras with manuals.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I bought a plug-in hybrid last weekend

jx2rv82hwosi.png

The pic on my phone is too big but that’s pretty accurate

Joolander on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    yay prius

jCyyTSo.png
    The endangered Ford sedan. Hows it drive?

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It is actually very nice. The extra weight of the battery makes it roll a bit more on turns, and I miss the power of the twin turbo in my last one, but otherwise it is a very nice feeling commuter car.

The active cruise control and lane keeping systems don’t feel anywhere near as invasive as those on Toyotas and Hondas that I’ve driven, which is a big plus in my book

It’s really a shame that they’re gonna stop making these for the foreseeable future

Joolander on