As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll just model them however and just have all mournfangs count as being armed with whatever.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Unless you want to be entering prize tournaments that sounds eminently sensible.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    wysiwyg is garbage and exists almost entirely to get you to spend more money

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    In fairness, though, it would get confusing if this unit modelled with hackers are armed with hackers, but that unit modelled with hackers are armed with clubs.

If all of them have clubs, even though they're modelled with hackers, that shouldn't confuse anyone.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    wysiwyg is garbage and exists almost entirely to get you to spend more money

When I really first ran into someone/ a group of people that insisted on wysiwyg was in Nercomunda and how various members of my gang were rough that I needed to either chop them up {I had them fully painted at this time} to reflect some of them were blind in a eye or had cyber limbs I first thought and argued hell no I just finished painting them then it turned into I am not buying another gang {the shop I played at the time really did not carry the escher gang but the owner was a silly goose} nor could I get cyber limbs but they kept it up for weeks on end which was one of the reasons I kind of stopped going there

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a pretty good reason to find a new place to play.

I built a Warhammer table for my apartment just in case my shop ever gets shitty and I decide to bail on it. Haven't actually had the chance to use it yet though.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I know nothing about AoS but god damn do I want to build goblins.

Someone tell me if this list would be viable

Skagrott
    Loonboss on Mangler
    Loonboss on Mangler (Fight another day trait, clammy cowl relic)
    10 Squig hoppers
    10 Squig hoppers
    5 Squig hoppers
    15 boinggrotz bounders
    15 boinggrotz bounders
    Squigalanche battalion.

I mainly like the idea of an all Squig army. Skaggrott is there so I can keep the run and charge up on Squigs for as long as possible. I wanted themeatic but from my amateur reading this list seems like it’s also fairly decent? The he mortal wound output is pretty high, everything flies and bosses on manglers seem pretty insane. (With the command trait a charging Mangler has 7 attacks hitting on 2’s wounding on 2’s -2 rend and d3 damage from its chains alone)

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    From my limited knowledge of the new Grot book I feel that Squig heavy is a perfectly valid way to go, for sure. Mangler Squigs seem great, and you can use Skagrott's command ability to guarantee the Bad Moon for a turn 2 charge with a bunch of stuff if you want. Fight another day is a killer command trait that's going to see a lot of use I think. Don't forget you get to choose a second artefact when you take a battalion too, so you can kit out the second Loonboss with something nice.

• Options
    From my limited knowledge of the new Grot book I feel that Squig heavy is a perfectly valid way to go, for sure. Mangler Squigs seem great, and you can use Skagrott's command ability to guarantee the Bad Moon for a turn 2 charge with a bunch of stuff if you want. Fight another day is a killer command trait that's going to see a lot of use I think. Don't forget you get to choose a second artefact when you take a battalion too, so you can kit out the second Loonboss with something nice.

Awsome. Am I right in thinking I can move a squig unit to within 6” of a target and then use the squigalance bonus to “walk” into combat and guaurntee me Squigs Strike first?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I haven't read the battalion text specifically, but so long as it permits your units to pile in even when outside of 3" of an enemy model then your read is correct, yes.

• Options
    I haven't read the battalion text specifically, but so long as it permits your units to pile in even when outside of 3" of an enemy model then your read is correct, yes.

Yeah it allows you to chose a unit within 6” to fight, it also increases pile in to 6”.

Still better to charge because of the mortal wounds but it’s a pretty big advantage.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, the Gloomspite squig dice? Squishy. Like soft grip rubber. I should get another set…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So, the Gloomspite squig dice? Squishy. Like soft grip rubber. I should get another set…

They are? I was thinking about them just because of the look of them

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes, they’re actually tiny cuboid squigs. No idea how they managed to breed them without feet though.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm surprised people aren't nerd grumping about them being non-perfect cubes and thus clearly non-perfectly random. Which I know is mostly nonsense, but people on the internet, y'know?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

Yes, they’re actually tiny cuboid squigs. No idea how they managed to breed them without feet though.

The brilliance of the Old Ones is a thing to behold. They really thought of everything the orks would need.

Edit - Wait, shit, wrong orks. Orruks. Maybe? Did the Old Ones make them in both settings? I don't know, that whole thing is screwy.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

The brilliance of the Old Ones is a thing to behold. They really thought of everything the orks would need.

Edit - Wait, shit, wrong orks. Orruks. Maybe? Did the Old Ones make them in both settings? I don't know, that whole thing is screwy.

Weirdly enough, the set does have the 40k logo on the back, unlike all the other AoS dice sets I’ve seen…

• Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Weirdly enough, the set does have the 40k logo on the back, unlike all the other AoS dice sets I’ve seen…

arjmapu640sd.png
    Weird

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I probably would be that guy and complain if someone used those in a competitive game, but mostly because those numbers look incredibly hard to read at a glance.

• Options
    Hm, I see it a bit in 3 and 4 but honestly, 1,2,5&6 are pretty easy to differentiate in person. Six especially.

• Options
    I would be that guy simply because I saw someone try to use these and because they’re some kind of rubber they basically go flying when you roll them and he was constantly losing dice and knocking over models.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Poked my head in from the 40k thread to ask if anyone had a set of those dice yet.

Glad to see they're as cool as expected... Gonna have to have my local shop set aside a pack for me.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    So I was sure I had a goblin model or two someone where deep in my shed in one of my many old minis boxes.

An hour later and I found
    An entire battle for skull pass army
    60 Stabbas
    20 Shooters
    10 spider riders
    Loonboss
    Madcap shaman

I also found
    6 fanatics
    The special character who’s now the boss with a squig on a leash.

That’s 980 points of grots.

I also found the crew for a bolt thrower (no idea what to do with these) and a metal goblin character of some kind. I think he’s from a wolf rider chariot as I found some bits of one, thinking if I can’t find a suitable big mount for him I can use him as a loonboss on giant squig.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I would be that guy simply because I saw someone try to use these and because they’re some kind of rubber they basically go flying when you roll them and he was constantly losing dice and knocking over models.

They're the orkiest dice ever.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The bouncy squig dice are fun, though I have been hearing internet tales of the yellow paint rubbing off the spots? Could just be hyperbole or a bad batch, but something to perhaps be aware of if you're planning on using picking some up.

• Options
    How does doubling things work in AoS?

A scuttleboss deals a mortal wound on. 6 to hit. Taking the black fang relic makes it 1+d3 mortal wounds. With spells and auras.

With monstrous mount he doubles his spider venom mortal wounds

The venom of the spider god spell doubles the mortal wounds dealt by spider venom.

How many mortal wounds does it the scuttleboss deal on a 6?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    2(1+D3) would be my interpretation.

Work out the mortal wounds caused by venom then double it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options

In this specific example it’s being doubled twice though, which although doing an average of 12 mortal wounds on a six, seems wrong.

• Options

In this specific example it’s being doubled twice though, which although doing an average of 12 mortal wounds on a six, seems wrong.

the base damage is what is used in the formula NORMALLY

this might be one of the occasions where a faq is needed though

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Been painting stormcast on and off for a few months.

I just got the kill team starter set and compared the adeptus mechanicus to the stormcast.

The admech are so much smaller and in such higher detail than the stormcast, it's ridiculous.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Admech models are probably the most intricate 40k models there are.

Most other 40k stuff is actually more in line with the Sormcast, I'd say. Traditionally Warhammer Fantasy mdels felt more detailed than their 40k counterparts. At least from my experience with Elves and Eldar. But also there the Ynnari triumvirate is a bit of a departure from the cleean smoothness of the Craftworlds.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Not trying to say the Stormcast are low detail, either. AdMech are just that detailed.

But I see what you mean. After looking up other 40k models, the AdMech are definitely very intricate.

They're also just smaller models. 25mm bases for these AdMech rangers/vanguard vs 40mm for most Stormcast.

• Options
    The downside to the Admech models is cleaning them up for assembly. They have an ungodly amount of ridges with mouldlines on them.

• Options
    Yeah, they should probably stop using doubling effects on damage, it doesn't come up often but every time it does it makes a mess, just make it +1 damage instead, that would still be fine! For now I think you would do the multiplication first and then the addition, but I don't actually have a source for that on hand, it might be something covered in an FAQ with any luck, but, hey, maybe they intended for a Scuttleboss to be able to hit for 44 mortals per combat round, who knows!

• Options
    Yeah, they should probably stop using doubling effects on damage, it doesn't come up often but every time it does it makes a mess, just make it +1 damage instead, that would still be fine! For now I think you would do the multiplication first and then the addition, but I don't actually have a source for that on hand, it might be something covered in an FAQ with any luck, but, hey, maybe they intended for a Scuttleboss to be able to hit for 44 mortals per combat round, who knows!

Normally I would agree but Black Fang (which adds d3) specifically mentions improves the existing ability if they have one.

Rules text for all the relevant abilities
    The Black Fang: Pick one of the bearers Melee weapons. If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made with the weapon is 6, that attack inflicts d3 mortal wounds on the target and the attack sequence ends (do not make a wound or save roll). If the weapon already inflicts mortal wounds on a roll of 6, add d3 to the number of mortal wounds it inflicts instead.

Monstrous Mount: Double the number of mortal wounds that are inflicted by this generals spider venom ability

Venom of the spider god: Venom of the spider god has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick 1 friendly Spiderfang unit wholly within 16” of the caster and visible to them. Until your next hero phase, double the number of mortal wounds inflicted by that units spider venom ability. If the casting roll is 10 or more, pick up to d3 different friendly Spiderfang units instead of 1.

For extra confusion you can add in the ability to increase spider venom to be a 5+

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    There used to be a rule in 40k that you multiply then add.
    So a powerfist that was affected by a +1 str. ended on 7 str. on a guardsman and 9 on a marine.
    I haven't read the AoS rules in a long time, so don't know if it's the same here.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options

Normally I would agree but Black Fang (which adds d3) specifically mentions improves the existing ability if they have one.

Rules text for all the relevant abilities
    The Black Fang: Pick one of the bearers Melee weapons. If the unmodified hit roll for an attack made with the weapon is 6, that attack inflicts d3 mortal wounds on the target and the attack sequence ends (do not make a wound or save roll). If the weapon already inflicts mortal wounds on a roll of 6, add d3 to the number of mortal wounds it inflicts instead.

Monstrous Mount: Double the number of mortal wounds that are inflicted by this generals spider venom ability

Venom of the spider god: Venom of the spider god has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick 1 friendly Spiderfang unit wholly within 16” of the caster and visible to them. Until your next hero phase, double the number of mortal wounds inflicted by that units spider venom ability. If the casting roll is 10 or more, pick up to d3 different friendly Spiderfang units instead of 1.

For extra confusion you can add in the ability to increase spider venom to be a 5+

oh geeze that is messy wording that better get an faq real quick

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Q: Sometimes a dice roll will trigger an effect. For example,
    a weapon might have a rule that says a hit roll of 6 causes
    two hits on the target instead of 1. What happens if another
    effect applies to the same roll? For example, the weapon from
    the previous example might have a rule that says it inflicts
    D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6 and the attack sequence
    ends – would I get to inflict two hits that each inflicted D6
    mortal wounds?
    A: When a dice roll triggers more than one effect, each
    effect is triggered once. For this example, this means
    that the hit roll would cause two hits, but only one of
    the hits would inflict D6 mortal wounds (you would
    carry out the rest of the attack procedure for the other
    hit normally).

This is the closest thing I could find. Email GW and ask.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Nought wrote: »
    There used to be a rule in 40k that you multiply then add.
    So a powerfist that was affected by a +1 str. ended on 7 str. on a guardsman and 9 on a marine.
    I haven't read the AoS rules in a long time, so don't know if it's the same here.

It's different now in 40k. First you multiply then add for your strength characteristic than you apply weapon modifier. But with the difference of how the characteristics work in 40k and AoS that doesn't help here either.

Just from reading the descriptions, I'd say the +d3 comes last. So x2, x2, +d3

honovere on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Played my first games with the gloomspites today.

I was just using what I owned, but a I can tell a list playing a Moonclan Skrap is going to be pretty good, huge blobs if immune to morale grots that come back is pretty crazy.

I also had a lot of fun going turn one hand of gork, drop a unit 9.1” away from the front lines, deploy fanatics 3” and then charge the fanatics in.

Edit: Morale is also such a non-issue for grots it’s crazy. Skagrott generated more than enough to just auto pass them which I didn’t even need to use because of the shrine. The thing is massive. Across the widest point it’s seven inches across. The bubble it projects is huge.

I’ve also played tzeentch twice and using skagrott to put the moon in the middle turn two shuts them down pretty hard. All thier wizards are at -1 to cast and unbind and you’re at +1 which is a massive swing in the chances of unbinding. Goblin wizards honestly feel incredibly strong. (Along with a loonboss doing his best wizard impression with the relic that rolls one dice for every unit with more than 5 models within 12 and does d3 mortal wounds on a 5+. Painfully easy to get 4-6 dice with it)

Norgoth on
This discussion has been closed.