As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars] Episode IX: The Rise of the Speculation

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Fair enough. Something I always wished is that other Star Wars EU stuff did more worldbuilding about the Force as part of natural ecologies. Sadly it went more in the D&D power source for spellcasting direction.

The interplay between the Force, ysalamiri and the clones was also something that tied into the larger ecology interplay that I wish got explored more in subsequent works.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If the TLJ novelization (just started/finished it) is any indication then the new works are going heavily into that direction

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Goumindong wrote: »
    If the TLJ novelization (just started/finished it) is any indication then the new works are going heavily into that direction

I read the Revenge of the Sith novelization before I watched the actual movie and was even more disappointed with the film than I would have been otherwise. The book was actually pretty good, but I’m a Matthew Stover fan. The dude writes really good Star Wars stories.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Who would win in a fight, Luuke or Bigger Luke?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I liked that Thrawn explored the tactical and strategic capabilities of the Force, understanding and exploiting it even without personally being able to manipulate it. It was also interesting that he cared very little for individuals. He was not out to twist the hero to his will or take revenge for the Death Stars, he was out to conquer the galaxy. He may have gone after Luke, or Leia, or the children, but only as a way to placate C'Baoth, who he prized for practical reasons.

And yet, the efforts of a small band of plucky heroes are what brought him down, because that's Star Wars and that's how the Force works.

Thrawn's weakness was an inability to improvise or to imagine contingencies outside of his expected predictions. Such as how an alien Death Cult that worshiped Darth Vader MIGHT be EVER so inclined to default authority to said Daughter and Son of that Sith Lord.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I liked that Thrawn explored the tactical and strategic capabilities of the Force, understanding and exploiting it even without personally being able to manipulate it. It was also interesting that he cared very little for individuals. He was not out to twist the hero to his will or take revenge for the Death Stars, he was out to conquer the galaxy. He may have gone after Luke, or Leia, or the children, but only as a way to placate C'Baoth, who he prized for practical reasons.

And yet, the efforts of a small band of plucky heroes are what brought him down, because that's Star Wars and that's how the Force works.

Thrawn's weakness was an inability to improvise or to imagine contingencies outside of his expected predictions. Such as how an alien Death Cult that worshiped Darth Vader MIGHT be EVER so inclined to default authority to said Daughter and Son of that Sith Lord.

Luke Skywalker: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
    Palpatine: Your faith in your friends is yours.

I like Thrawn because even though his artwork thing was a bit of a gimmick it still meant that he was getting his wins by using his brains. No massive Imperial Starfleet or planet killers, just good old fashioned brainpower.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Has anyone spent much time with Star Wars Destiny?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Luke Skywalker: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
    Palpatine: Your faith in your friends is yours.

I like Thrawn because even though his artwork thing was a bit of a gimmick it still meant that he was getting his wins by using his brains. No massive Imperial Starfleet or planet killers, just good old fashioned brainpower.

The fun bit is he actually messes up a fair bit in the trilogy, or makes the wrong interpretation of what is happening and runs with it for a while. In many ways, the legend becomes larger than the man which causes everyone to second-guess themselves and which in turn leads him to winning more, reinforcing the legend. Part of the reason for sidelining Akbar is that he wouldn't be lead on or tricked as easily as some of the other commanders.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371

The Open World Star Wars game that EA was developing(but hadn't yet released any media of to date) has been cancelled.

Not really surprising, but fuck EA either way.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

The Open World Star Wars game that EA was developing(but hadn't yet released any media of to date) has been cancelled.

We are in the middle of a rebirth of Star Wars and have like 2 games to show for it. How do we not have more Star Wars games?!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

We are in the middle of a rebirth of Star Wars and have like 2 games to show for it. How do we not have more Star Wars games?!

EA is trying to develop "games as services" full of repeatable content and microtransactions and focus less on single-player games, but then the MTX-laded repeatable content Star Wars game they made blew up in their faces.

Rather than focusing on the single-player games that are already in development for them, I guess they'd rather just forget about all the resources they already invested in those and try to put all their irons back into one fire?

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I hate the trend in games towards online play and mmo's and microtransactions and whatever bullshit the "kids these days" are into.

To hell with all of that. Give me a well thought out story and an excellent single player experience and watch me throw money at it.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The sooner the license can be wrested away from EA, the better.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    There's a part of me imagining a meeting that took place at EA not too long ago, or will take place in the near future, wherein the Disney exec whose job it is to wrangle the Star Wars digital entertainment license turns up to have a chat with the heads of EA, and it's like the scene on the Death Star at the start of Return of the Jedi.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The sooner the license can be wrested away from EA, the better.

The sooner every license can be wrested away from EA the better.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    There's a part of me imagining a meeting that took place at EA not too long ago, or will take place in the near future, wherein the Disney exec whose job it is to wrangle the Star Wars digital entertainment license turns up to have a chat with the heads of EA, and it's like the scene on the Death Star at the start of Return of the Jedi.

"I'm here to put you back on schedule."

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    KOTOR with Battlefront 2 engine and Mass Effect gameplay.

There, done, million copies sold.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited January 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    KOTOR with Battlefront 2 engine and Mass Effect gameplay.

There, done, million copies sold.

At least Mass Effect 2 gameplay. Important distinction.

DarkPrimus on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

"I'm here to put you back on schedule."

"The shareholders are not as forgiving as I am."

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jason Schreier posted a followup update to the cancellation article. Apparently it was going to basically be an open world Star Wars Bounty Hunter, but the scope of it meant it would likely take a few years to make, but they needed something they could shit out in about a year to coincide with the rumored next-gen consoles so they killed this one to have Vancouver make a different Star Wars game on a smaller scale.
    UPDATE (10:17pm): Since the publication of this article, I’ve talked to several more people familiar with EA Vancouver’s now-cancelled open-world Star Wars game. This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that’s now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

To EA’s credit, those people said, the publisher did not lay anyone off as part of this transition. This news comes at a time of cost-cutting across the industry, at major publishers including both EA and Activision, as we’ve reported. Some at the studio also hope that Orca might be restarted after this new project is finished.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The sheer ineptitude of which the star wars game license has been handled over the last few years is amazing.
    Even past Ita greatness lucas arts was pumping our games like bounty hunter clone wars galactic battleground star fighter and the ilk. They weren't all great but at least we got more than two shooters and some phone games. And old republic i guess but that was already around

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Jason Schreier posted a followup update to the cancellation article. Apparently it was going to basically be an open world Star Wars Bounty Hunter, but the scope of it meant it would likely take a few years to make, but they needed something they could shit out in about a year to coincide with the rumored next-gen consoles so they killed this one to have Vancouver make a different Star Wars game on a smaller scale.
    UPDATE (10:17pm): Since the publication of this article, I’ve talked to several more people familiar with EA Vancouver’s now-cancelled open-world Star Wars game. This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that’s now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

To EA’s credit, those people said, the publisher did not lay anyone off as part of this transition. This news comes at a time of cost-cutting across the industry, at major publishers including both EA and Activision, as we’ve reported. Some at the studio also hope that Orca might be restarted after this new project is finished.

An open world game where you are a bounty hunter in the Star Wars Universe?! That sounds amazing and now I am even more pissed off.

All the money in the world goes to whoever can make a Star Wars RDR.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Seriously, how is there not a new X-Wing game?

Have it lead up to the battle of Jakku and then sell mission packs to advance the time line with the film's.

Doesn't even have to be AAA...

Ugh...

l7n41RV.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Because "they" instead went with the Rogue Squadron/Battlefront arcade-y style of games, instead of a proper Star Wars space-sim. Alas.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »

Have it lead up to the battle of Jakku and then sell mission packs to advance the time line with the film's.

Ugh...

Well rightly or wrongly that kind of game is seen as a niche market. Due to the cost of the Star Wars license itself those games would likely not be profitable. Disney paid a mint for the IP and they want their money's worth.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Because "they" instead went with the Rogue Squadron/Battlefront arcade-y style of games, instead of a proper Star Wars space-sim. Alas.

At the time they made that call the PC/console divide was stark, especially when comparing price points.

Now you work with some third party company to make a flightstick/control board accessory and maybe defer some costs by getting another developer to chip in so their new mech game can be officially supported and you could push an X-wing or tie fighter to all platforms

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I'd be curious to see how the license is structured. My guess is that its a high royalty rate on each product sold/revenue stream, so EA needs to make sure each game is an absolute cash cow to justify the bleed from the license. If it was a flat fee model, I would imagine EA would just pump out as many games as possible, though, there may be quality controls in the license itself.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

Ugh...

Well rightly or wrongly that kind of game is seen as a niche market. Due to the cost of the Star Wars license itself those games would likely not be profitable. Disney paid a mint for the IP and they want their money's worth.

Just like they're getting with EA being the exclusive licensee...

But, yeah, flight sims are getting increasingly niche, there doesn't seem to be as much of an audience for complicated control schemes that require two dozen buttons and a joystick. That said, I'd think that some money from a passably good game with the potential for paid DLC expansions would be better than no money from cancelled games that were in development. I mean, I don't think Disney eats the cost of a cancelled game. If I understand it correctly they sell the license rights, then wait for their cut of the sales to roll in. They're not directly financially involved in the development process unless they own the studio developing the game, just giving the yay or nay to design and plot points so it all shares a somewhat cohesive aesthetic.

But I could be wrong on that count.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »

Ugh...

Just like they're getting with EA being the exclusive licensee...

But, yeah, flight sims are getting increasingly niche, there doesn't seem to be as much of an audience for complicated control schemes that require two dozen buttons and a joystick. That said, I'd think that some money from a passably good game with the potential for paid DLC expansions would be better than no money from cancelled games that were in development. I mean, I don't think Disney eats the cost of a cancelled game. If I understand it correctly they sell the license rights, then wait for their cut of the sales to roll in. They're not directly financially involved in the development process unless they own the studio developing the game, just giving the yay or nay to design and plot points so it all shares a somewhat cohesive aesthetic.

But I could be wrong on that count.
    I don't know the specifics of EA's and Disney's agreement but it likely involves a large initial outlay of money from EA as well as agreed upon future royalties from the games themselves. Part of that agreement, and the initial outlay of money, is an exclusivity deal that Disney won't sell the rights to anyone who is a direct competitor of EA. So Disney can't just farm it off to another small games studio to make a new X-Wing even if they thought there was money in it.

EA will likely keep the license until someone out bids them or Disney feels they can make more money with another studio, even with less favorable terms.

Ugh...

There is, but it's a physical miniatures game, not a video game. It's pretty fun, too.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The arcadey flight portion of battlefront isnt even good. Rogue squadron did the leagues better. Give us a new rogue game.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    This is super weird to see (but neat obviously)—a student trailer for Star Wars if the movie was closer to the original concept art:

https://youtu.be/6AWgzNfzRCk

Really makes you wonder if Star Wars would have been equally iconic this way, and we’d all have fond memories of an alien Han Solo and girl Luke, or if this version wouldn’t have been the same lightning in a bottle as the movie ended up being.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    There were so many permutations the original script went through. A true multiverse of options. I think it's really hard to say how many things could have been altered from what we got and still had similar results. For example, how much of the success is the chemistry between the main cast, and would they have been able to keep that up if say Luke and Leia's roles had been reversed. My own personal fantasy is staying firmly rooted in the backstory of the first film; where Obi Wan is an honest person, Luke gains his Force powers through belief instead of blood, Darth is Vadar's first name and Anakin is a separate person. That's not to say that what we got wasn't interesting, but rather I would like to see where that alternate universe leads...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Looks like Rogue One is coming off Netflix this Friday.

monkeykins wrote: »

It was on Netflix before. I wasn’t aware it ever left.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Will probably start seeing the amount of Disney-owned stuff on Netflix drop pretty regularly throughout the year.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

It hasn't left yet, it leaves this Friday...
    They just added Solo, too.

It hasn't left yet, it leaves this Friday...
    They just added Solo, too.

Ah, I misread your post.

steam_sig.png

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I just noticed Solo is on Netflix so, true to my word, I finally watched it. It was so almost good. Just too much shit made me groan and roll my eyes. I'd hate to see the original full on comedy version of it before they brought Ron Howard on. It definitely needed more time in the oven though. They should have stuck to the December release cycle and gave it more time to be polished. All in all I'm not mad I watched it or anything. It was pretty ok. I don't feel like I ever need to see it again though, and I certainly don't need to own it. I think I liked it better than Rogue One, if nothing else.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The arcadey flight portion of battlefront isnt even good. Rogue squadron did the leagues better. Give us a new rogue game.

The arcadey flight portion of Battlefront is great. I'd take it over Rogue Squadron any day.

This discussion has been closed.