As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    shenmue 2 ER you cowards

persona 5 ER you cowards

simpsons hit & run ER you co

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Still listening.

Good to hear RDR2 winning for Most Music.

E: Like, when it's mentioned that whoever the composer was made 90 tracks for the game because all the missions had to have a different song playing I just rolled my eyes. Of course they did.

Aistan on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Guys, Mass Alex 2 should be coming soon. I'm so excited.

Don't they still have to finish up the first one?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Nope! Last episode was at the start of december, or a little later than that.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

They did that last year.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Still listening.

Good to hear RDR2 winning for Most Music.

E: Like, when it's mentioned that whoever the composer was made 90 tracks for the game because all the missions had to have a different song playing I just rolled my eyes. Of course they did.

A lot of RDR2 rubs me wrong and I've got hells of problems with the game but the music is top fucking notch, it's fantastic.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Jan's gone rogue!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I don't love Mass Effect 2 nearly as much as everyone else I know does, but I revisited a couple of ME2 LPs and boy the opening for that game is still just as immense as I remember

I'm so fucking hyped for Mass Alex 2

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Have they given any hints of when yet, besides soon?

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Jans pokemon stream was a delight

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’d really like to see the gta online stuff. I realize that’s gotta be nutty to edit but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I don't love Mass Effect 2 nearly as much as everyone else I know does, but I revisited a couple of ME2 LPs and boy the opening for that game is still just as immense as I remember

I revisited it a few weeks back, as it was one of my favourite games on release, and man, I remember the combat being better than it actually is. Probably because in comparison to the first game the combat was pure bliss. Writing's still a delight, however.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man ASG delivers. for me it goes ASG > Beastcast > Bombcast this past month. It helps that they're REALLY into the Buu Saga.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I sorta hope ASG goes into Dragon Ball Super before they wander out into the wider world of anime.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I sorta hope ASG goes into Dragon Ball Super before they wander out into the wider world of anime.

man I think we might a Monkey Paw Wish on that one and they go DBGT instead. I wish they would actually watch the two DBS movies instead tho.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My guess is original Dragonball. They're really into it's style of goofy bullshit

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    That first season of DragonBall is rouuugh though.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I just finished watching DBZ Super and it was super fun and I'd definitely enjoy them going into that. However, the dub isn't finished for DBZ super so they might eventually catch up and have to watch subbed episodes? I'd also like to hear their opinion of the subbed voices but that might be a dealbreaker for them.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    What would the first season be? Just the first wish right? Yeah that's a bit rough. I think I really got into DB with the First Tenkaichi Budokai. I think it ramps up from there. Red Ribbon, Second Tenkaichi, Piccolo and Third Tenkaichi are classics arcs if you ask me. There is some lousy filler tho.

edit: shit on hindsight can we like get OGDBKai with less Master Roshi? I forgot...how pervy he gets.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

I revisited it a few weeks back, as it was one of my favourite games on release, and man, I remember the combat being better than it actually is. Probably because in comparison to the first game the combat was pure bliss. Writing's still a delight, however.

I’m guessing the combat hasn’t aged all that well but that wasn’t really the reason to play that game anyway.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah since they seem to be a big fan of Goku being a terrible father/hero and fighting tournaments they'll likely really be into DBS since that's all that show is outside the 1st Trunk arc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ME2 combat is serviceable nowadays. I think it doesn't help that encounter design has evolved a bit so you can see that although the shooting is better, the scenarios aren't really that varied. Also, I think this was the first time they did Power Combos in ME right? They started out in Dragon Age but they were very simple here.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    *comes into thread to see people ganging up on ME2*

IndolentSplendidCoelacanth-max-1mb.gif

im not mad

just disappointed

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I didn’t think it was “ganging up” really.

Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Wasn’t perfect though.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I played ME1 and 2 back-to-back - like, I put down the first game after finishing it, walked to my local brick and mortar shop and bought ME2 without much hesitation at all

I have no qualms with people who call ME2 one of the best games of its generation, but the whiplash I felt from the sequel's design intent at the time seemed like they had gone two steps forward and two steps back, especially with the closed feeling of its levels, dropping all pretense of exploration and the restrictiveness of its loadouts

ME3 resolved most of those problems and out of the three is still the most fun to actually play

• Options
    The way I looked at it:

ME1 was a fantastic premise and setup, a pretty unique character creation integrated with an established protagonist that hadn't really been done before. It was also clunky as hell and had maybe the worst inventory management I've ever seen. But the setting and characters propelled me through that game, and I love it to pieces, but playing through once was enough for me.

ME2 was the promise realized of the setting paired with more great characters and super improved gameplay. And even though the plot was basically The Untouchables, the assembly of characters and their unique loyalty missions were superbly done. We often talk about the "diamond shape" of interactive stories, where the beginning and end of the stories are largely the same, and all the player "choice" is in the middle. But no matter what you do, you're ending up on more or less the same path.

But ME2 pushes against that really hard. You can get some truly fucked up endings. And even though ME3 makes it a wash because canonically there can only be one ending, ME2 as a stand-alone story is beautifully crafted and took a lot of gambles in the video game space that hadn't been done before. The shooting is fun and competent but even then wasn't great, encounters were very much same-y, and the "reveal" was kinda flat. But all that is functional and serviceable enough that the story can shine. And while it's not directly related, Shadowbroker is still one of the best add-ons/DLC ever made.

ME3 is where they really nailed the gameplay. There's lots more variance and options and everything just feels fun. The story is also strong, and even though there was this massive controversy about the ending, I enjoyed that game through and through. It was a send-off and swan song for those characters, and again BioWare did it more than justice. The scene at the end of the game with Shepard and Anderson is still to this day one of the best pieces of digital and voiceover acting. It pained me to watch, but in a great way that only great stories can. (As an aside, if you have not listened to the extended cut of that scene, search YouTube for it. It's an even bigger gut punch.)

And honestly, the ending wasn't great, but I also didn't hate it. And in fact, I felt like my choice wrapped up the series in a way that made sense to me, from beginning to end, uniting a lot of the main themes and character conflict. I think ME3 is a stronger game than it was given credit.

• Options
    All Mass Effect is good.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    All Mass Effect is good.

All Mass Effect is good = Mass Effect Andromeda is good?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    All Mass Effect is good.

All Mass Effect is good = Mass Effect Andromeda is good?

Correct.

• Options
    Mass Effect Andromeda is just average. It isn't a worst game candidate.

• Options
    Oh no we're stuck in a time loop

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I mean, it did kill Mass Effect

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oh no we're stuck in a time loop

No...you're stuck in a time loop.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    EA killed Mass Effect.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    The fans killed Mass Effect

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    No I'm pretty sure it was EA who cancelled any and all future plans for the franchise

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah Mass Effect is an average game in a GREAT franchise. I don't have the confidence in EA to pull a Capcom and do a RE/MegaMan on any of their franchises.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Please enjoy this delightful Giant Bomb twitter content.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Releasing Andromeda 6-12 months before it should’ve come out killed Mass Effect.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The fans didn't give a major franchise to a new team on a tight deadline, budget and saddled them with an entirely new engine that hadn't been designed with the series' requirements in mind. EA mismanaged the game and EA killed the franchise, because they're EA and that's what they do.