As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox controller repair

ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilegeWestern coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my wife and I play a lot of games on the PC where we both use Xbox 360 controllers. One is brand name, the other is a well-reviewed generic. Recently, the generic one broke in a very specific way - most of the down/left diagonal zone on the left thumbstick doesn't work. I disassembled it and re-soldered the leads on the stick, but that didn't help. In retrospect, no real reason it should - both directions work, just not when input together. Anyway, I don't know how to repair it or what to search for - "dead zone" brings up a bunch of fps games and most people have problems with drift, not a specific dead area, and the dead areas that are common are usually left or right or up or down, since the whole thing is just two dimensions of potentiometers. My questions are thus: what is going on, exactly, and how do I fix it? I mostly care about the fix, but I've also been learning some electrical engineering and it bothers me that I'm not sure what is going wrong.

Oh, tiny bit of extra information: It's not a 90 degree sector that's dead, probably ~45 or 50 degree one. And only at the very edge - it seems like it works if it's not being pushed all the way. It's weird!

Shivahn on

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Have you tried recalibrating the controller? If you're using Windows 10 try following these steps and see if that helps.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Smasher wrote: »
    Have you tried recalibrating the controller? If you're using Windows 10 try following these steps and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Then I learned how hard desoldering is and broke a tiny bit off of the PCB. I've ordered a replacement, so I guess that's that.

I really think the problem was the company using a pretty cheap sensor for the sticks. I did buy some of those, so if this happens again, and I'm correct in what causes it, I'll be prepared. Oh well.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I probably have 3-4 xbox 360 controllers sitting around that I can probably ship to you, if you want them.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I appreciate the offer! If I hadn't ordered one last night, I'd definitely take you up on that.