As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Wow that video makes me want to get DKC.

I already own it and that video made me want to buy it again.

My Wii U died so I have no choice!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (say that three times fast) is coming out April 5th for Switch and PC.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hCr4XKf3Dsk

Based on the trailer, I think the Cliffs Notes version is that it takes place in the Xenoverse universe, where laypeople know about Goku's adventures and have made a card game based on that.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Personally, I felt that NSMB the first went too basic and was really boring. If memory serves, my feeling when the sequel released was that it was basically "what if NSMB but, like, with actually fun level designs and stuff".

NSMB1 was a good return to 2D Mario at the time but it was fairly back-to-basics, and I feel like that was part of the point. The days when a fire flower was important. A focus on navigating various block configurations for challenge. But it was the SMB1 of the NSMB series. NSMB Wii was more like Mario World, NSMB2 was like Mario 3, and NSMBU was an evolution on everything else in the series.
    Whoa, this is a really good assessment!

I really liked NSMB, but haven't had the chance to play more than a little bit of any of the sequels. I'm really excited to play NSMBUDeluxe (what a word salad disaster of a name, though) when I have the time.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Personally, I felt that NSMB the first went too basic and was really boring. If memory serves, my feeling when the sequel released was that it was basically "what if NSMB but, like, with actually fun level designs and stuff".

NSMB1 was a good return to 2D Mario at the time but it was fairly back-to-basics, and I feel like that was part of the point. The days when a fire flower was important. A focus on navigating various block configurations for challenge. But it was the SMB1 of the NSMB series. NSMB Wii was more like Mario World, NSMB2 was like Mario 3, and NSMBU was an evolution on everything else in the series.
    Whoa, this is a really good assessment!

I really liked NSMB, but haven't had the chance to play more than a little bit of any of the sequels. I'm really excited to play NSMBUDeluxe (what a word salad disaster of a name, though) when I have the time.

When I think of NSMB being dull I remember that Mario Maker proved that I, and millions of others, cannot do a better job.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    hey i think onimusha port came out today

its a good game!

J3qcnBP.png
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I think Y2k comes out tomorrow. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced for Wii U probably more than 5 years ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    NSMB is a travesty of art direction. I get why people liked it though. I had it on WiiU and gameplay wise, it's the best 4 player platformer I've ever played. It's a shame it's such a visual dud. Blauh.

I'd take Mario1 NES visuals over it any day.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (say that three times fast) is coming out April 5th for Switch and PC.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hCr4XKf3Dsk

Based on the trailer, I think the Cliffs Notes version is that it takes place in the Xenoverse universe, where laypeople know about Goku's adventures and have made a card game based on that.

Oh, it's a card game? =( (Was going to watch the trailer later today.) Bummer.

Also, I absolutely loved the original NSMB because it was very much back to basics. Fire Flower and star aside, all the new power-ups were based on Mario's core abilities of running and jumping, plus you were given further types of jump moves from the 3D games.

It felt very... pure. Plus, I liked the Super Metroid-ish in-engine story it told. It also introduced two new world types: Jungle/marsh and mountain.

Just a shame they apparently decided to never introduce a new type after that. While they were nice and fresh at first, they were also more generic than Giant Land and Pipe Land (though at least NSMBU kind of sought to merge them somewhat).

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Oh yeah also about 4 hours ago we got Blaster Master, Zelda 2, and SP versions of Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts n Goblins!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Okay so, friend and I tried the NES online switch stuff. The latency was at 1 red bar, we're both on the wifi and we're both literally next to our wifi routers. Is the only hope for us to both get the wired adapter? It was unplayable unless we were in latency mode. There just seems to be soooo much extra accessories that are basically required for the switch. D:

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    There's an MTU trick (I think?) for internet settings. I believe it's most routers have a MTU value set to 1500, but the switch default is 1400 so changing that setting in the switch to 1500 is supposed to help.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      What were you playing?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
      What were you playing?

Blaster master and Zelda 2 Adventures of link. With low latency mode we could do the take turns playing a singleplayer game. Anything with both of us at the same time was completely unplayable.

n1woEHJ.png
      CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
      Oh, the NES games. I tried it once with a friend, Mario 3 I think, and the lag was crazy and desync and all that. We chalked it up to me having bad internet and it being early days for the service.

But everything else I've done online on Switch has been reasonably good, including Fortnite and Warframe and Splatoon 2 and Smash and Monster Hunter. I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy a LAN adapter just for the NES games when they might be particularly bad.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
      Hollow Knight is real freaking good. I'm really glad i picked it up on the switch - being able to play it in bed is just so much nicer.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
      Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
      Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
      Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
      Oh, the NES games. I tried it once with a friend, Mario 3 I think, and the lag was crazy and desync and all that. We chalked it up to me having bad internet and it being early days for the service.

But everything else I've done online on Switch has been reasonably good, including Fortnite and Warframe and Splatoon 2 and Smash and Monster Hunter. I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy a LAN adapter just for the NES games when they might be particularly bad.

Yeah, I think maybe there's just something wonky with the NES games. Granted the only game I've played online on my Switch is Fortnite, but it plays remarkably well over wifi. I don't think I've experienced any noticeable or substantial lag in it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
      edited January 2019
      What the hell is wrong with Chris Kohler. For shame. The correct way to discuss this:

Analysts: No way in hell Nintendo will ever sell 20 million Switches this year

Pokemon and Smash Bros.: *come out*

Analysts:
      uSmJarP.png

UncleSporky on
    • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      Meme formats are meme formats for a reason. If we can't trust people to use them, we may as well have anarchy.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
      Well that makes me a happy NTDOY stockholder. I am eagerly awaiting their Jan 31st financial statement.

Although it is getting to the point where FY2018 is pretty much a done deal, and I'm curious what their plan is for 2019. Pretty desperately need a January Nintendo Direct, news about what any of their flagship 2019 titles are going to be. A lot of people are starting to say the timing is right for a Switch Refresh, not unlike the 3DS to the New 3DS or the DS to the DSLite.

Holding stock is all "What have you done for me lately".

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      The moment has passed for a ND this week at least. Not sure when they'll get around to it, which is odd.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Deluxe Edition coming this spring to the west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_87R6xg3jM

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/16/nes-nintendo-switch-online-update-stealth-releases-ninja-gaiden-ghostsn-goblins-sp-versions/

NSO stealth-added a few extra titles with the update.
      The NES – Nintendo Switch Online has updated to its Version 2.1.0 that adds Blaster Master and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It also stealth-released SP versions of Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts‘n Goblins.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Specifically, the SP versions start you at the final fight/stage, things that most normal humans in this era would possibly see in these stupid-tough games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      SP versions thus far have just been save states, as if someone played the game for a while and did a bunch of things and powered you up and then handed you the controller. I would not be surprised if that's literally what they are doing, not doing any RAM editing or anything just flat out playing really well and hitting save.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      SP versions thus far have just been save states, as if someone played the game for a while and did a bunch of things and powered you up and then handed you the controller. I would not be surprised if that's literally what they are doing, not doing any RAM editing or anything just flat out playing really well and hitting save.

Didn't the Zelda one just start you with a crapton of rupees and gear but no sword?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »
      Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Deluxe Edition coming this spring to the west.

Are they just handing the job of coming up with game titles off to those neural network generators now? That is a completely random salad of video game related words.

MhCw7nZ.gif

Are they just handing the job of coming up with game titles off to those neural network generators now? That is a completely random salad of video game related words.

Still better than "Bravely Default."

edited January 2019
      Shadowfire wrote: »

Didn't the Zelda one just start you with a crapton of rupees and gear but no sword?

Nope, I am fairly sure it started you off with a lot of stuff including a sword. Might've even been the white sword? As you wander the world you can see already-burned bushes and such. Someone just played the game and collected a bunch of things and then saved.

It's actually the second game with the "Hollow" prefix, the other was Hollow Fragment. There's a whole series based on an alternate reality of the anime/manga where beating the game did not break everyone back into the real world like it was supposed to.

I saw some of Hollow Fragment at a friend's house, I think he got it free with PS+. I would call it kind of terrible. It felt sort of like...FFXIV, the original bad version, but with Vita-level graphics and complex-ish word salad mechanics that aren't explained well enough. But Hollow Realization may have improved things somewhat. The video doesn't look as bad as the first.

UncleSporky on
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      cloudeagle wrote: »

Adverb verb works as a title pattern, imo. And the title makes sense in the context of the story.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
      I could never get into the SAO games. I like the anime, but the games kind of just throw you in there and don't explain how anything works.

Except Fatal Bullet. SAO: Fatal Bullet is pretty sweet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
      edited January 2019
      Polaritie wrote: »
      Adverb verb works as a title pattern, imo.

Ah yes the excellent spinoff Sword Art Online: Gently Poo

UncleSporky on
    • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Kingdom Hearts did it before it was cool

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      I still prefer the Ogre Battle approach of using Queen song titles.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      edited January 2019

It's Worse: English titles created for a Japanese audience.

rahkeesh2000 on
    • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
      One of my very favorite things is seeing tshirts and stuff with straight nonsense english word strings, like in tourist shops in China and Japan.

It proves that people with nonsense kanji tattoos isn’t just an “ignorant American” thing. Everyone wants to make “exotic” stuff using non-native languages, and I find that delightful and hilarious.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
      Twitch: akThera
      Steam: Thera
    • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Skull2185 wrote: »

Yeah, I think maybe there's just something wonky with the NES games. Granted the only game I've played online on my Switch is Fortnite, but it plays remarkably well over wifi. I don't think I've experienced any noticeable or substantial lag in it.

Wait, are the NES games streaming or something? I thought they were downloaded and just had to "phone home" online with ridiculous frequency in order to be allowed to keep playing?

And these SP versions are a joke so far. What did they do for Ninja Gaiden?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
      Axen wrote: »
      I still prefer the Ogre Battle approach of using Queen song titles.

I’m dissappinted “person of lordly caliber” isn’t a real Queen song, because it really sounds like it should be.

Wait, are the NES games streaming or something? I thought they were downloaded and just had to "phone home" online with ridiculous frequency in order to be allowed to keep playing?

And these SP versions are a joke so far. What did they do for Ninja Gaiden?

NES games are fully downloaded, we're talking about playing them online with each other which seems spotty.

They can't be offline for more than a week.

From what I read online, apparently Ninja Gaiden SP starts you off in the room right before the final boss.

edited January 2019
      Polaritie wrote: »
      cloudeagle wrote: »

Adverb verb works as a title pattern, imo. And the title makes sense in the context of the story.

The definition of "default" is "a selection made usually automatically or without active consideration due to lack of a viable alternative."

That can't happen bravely.

cloudeagle on