As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    You're being REALLY weirdly combative about this

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wait is phil urich good again

to this day i will never forgive them for turning him heel

and basically all the garbage that stemmed from the loners, which i have still never forgiven akira yoshida for

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    International teaser is basically the same except

1. No teaser for the teaser at the start
    2. Different setup for the trip (though it does get most of the same information across)
    3. They kind of pull the teeth of the last joke in the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPJqAvq-I4&ab_channel=SonyPicturesReleasingAustralia

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fiege confirms far from home is after endgame.

Quire.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Boy Howdy does the new Black Widow book from the Soska Sisters seem like it is Not For Me
    Nat has basically decided to be The Punisher after coming back to life post-Secret Empire and is killing bad dudes despite Cap's protestations.

And her mission brings her to Madripoor where she discovers a child kidnapping ring where rich people vote on which kid they kill, and how, and live stream the results on the dark web.

It's not, like, character assassination or anything its just an INCREDIBLY DARK ~TWISTED~ story that is very much not my cup of tea

I don't know that it's important, but this take does make me curious:
    Why is this any darker than Avengers Arena?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ringo wrote: »
    Boy Howdy does the new Black Widow book from the Soska Sisters seem like it is Not For Me
    Nat has basically decided to be The Punisher after coming back to life post-Secret Empire and is killing bad dudes despite Cap's protestations.

And her mission brings her to Madripoor where she discovers a child kidnapping ring where rich people vote on which kid they kill, and how, and live stream the results on the dark web.

It's not, like, character assassination or anything its just an INCREDIBLY DARK ~TWISTED~ story that is very much not my cup of tea

Because Arena has the kids fighting to free themselves and overcoming Arcade by banding together. It was dark but had emotional weight behind it and developed its characters.

This is just giving Nat a super gross excuse to kill dudes with not much else going on

To be clear, if the book does end up having some weight to it and really develops Natasha's headspace then that would be rad

But

The Soska Sisters, as far as I am aware, are mostly know for really violent kinda gross horror movies and the one of theirs I have seen, See No Evil 2, was as bland as horror flicks tend to come.

So I am not really holding my breath for it to be anothing other than a brutal murder fest. Which is fine, that book can totally exist and have fans, its just not my thing.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I like Gyllenhaal as Mysterio

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    man the soskas are in my lil' network of indie horror pals so it's gonna be fuckin' weird for a hot second seeing takes from a completely different audience

6vjsgrerts6r.png

i like a lot of the soskas movies!

but I also wouldnt put them on a superhero comic

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    American Mary fucking rules

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know who the Soskas are!

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't know who the Soskas are!

twin sisters who make horror movies, like American Mary

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Because Arena has the kids fighting to free themselves and overcoming Arcade by banding together. It was dark but had emotional weight behind it and developed its characters.

This is just giving Nat a super gross excuse to kill dudes with not much else going on

To be clear, if the book does end up having some weight to it and really develops Natasha's headspace then that would be rad

But

The Soska Sisters, as far as I am aware, are mostly know for really violent kinda gross horror movies and the one of theirs I have seen, See No Evil 2, was as bland as horror flicks tend to come.

So I am not really holding my breath for it to be anothing other than a brutal murder fest. Which is fine, that book can totally exist and have fans, its just not my thing.

I would agree as to the supposed intention of said book.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    American Mary is more of a classical tragedy than a horror movie

It just happens to be horrifying the entire way through

Straightzi wrote: »

but I like that movie

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Spider-Man still has a bunch of villains who are more interested in busting a bank vault than they are ruling the world and that's why he has the best rogues gallery in Marvel comics

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

but I like that movie

Oh trust me, that wasn't saying anything against it. I'm quite fond of it myself.

but I like that movie

Oh trust me, that wasn't saying anything against it. I'm quite fond of it myself.

(it was a joke that I think classical tragedies suck so I didnt wanna call it that)

(oh okay

but you are wrong there also)

(Hi, can I talk in parentheticals too)

CYpGAPn.png
    (oh okay

but you are wrong there also)

im oedipus and fate made me fuck my mom, waaah

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oedipus, that fate wasn't magical! It was just regular fate! The fuck was inside you all along!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Me: I really need to cut down on my comics spending, maybe I shouldn't buy the $5 comics until they drop in price.
    Chip Zdarsky: *writes a $5 Invaders comic*
    Me: ...Oh.

Delduwath wrote: »
    Me: I really need to cut down on my comics spending, maybe I shouldn't buy the $5 comics until they drop in price.
    Chip Zdarsky: *writes a $5 Invaders comic*
    Me: ...Oh.
    Marvel making every #1 issue 4.99 sucks but at least they are trying to justify it by including extra pages or a decent sized back-up story.

(It is still dumb as hell and a cheap cash grab, they want to make the most they can on first issue sales but the long-term plan should be to make those issues cheaper so more folks potentially give the series a shot)

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shame that every third issue is a new #1 these days

It’s like that old Milk and Cheese joke except real and also sad

I still cannot believe they launched the new weekly (so it already was going to be expensive to follow) Uncanny X-Men book with a 8 dollar price.

That's bananas! That's literally double what a normal issue costs for what should be qn accessible jumping on point!

CYpGAPn.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Sooo, that ending to X-Men Disassembled.
    'Wow' is pretty much what springs to mind. Basically Nate goes 'No More X-Men' on everyone. Like, that's the actual headline of the Daily Bugle which also claims the world's CELEBRATING that they're dead. And everyone is lining up to take the mutant 'cure' that was part of the story. The end is narrated by Cyclops who wasn't poofed away by Nate to the Age Of X-Man story since he wasn't an active X-Man at the time who's not happy how things ended. Can't blame him.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I still cannot believe they launched the new weekly (so it already was going to be expensive to follow) Uncanny X-Men book with a 8 dollar price.

That's bananas! That's literally double what a normal issue costs for what should be qn accessible jumping on point!

It also, as of issue #9, didn’t do much with those 80 pages. The main plot was the normal longer 30ish pages an event has, and the other parts were mostly stories that don’t matter or really give you much insight to what’s going on.
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Sooo, that ending to X-Men Disassembled.
    'Wow' is pretty much what springs to mind. Basically Nate goes 'No More X-Men' on everyone. Like, that's the actual headline of the Daily Bugle which also claims the world's CELEBRATING that they're dead. And everyone is lining up to take the mutant 'cure' that was part of the story. The end is narrated by Cyclops who wasn't poofed away by Nate to the Age Of X-Man story since he wasn't an active X-Man at the time who's not happy how things ended. Can't blame him.

Oh...great. I’m really...looking...forward to picking up issue #10 today.

*screams internally*

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It is breathtaking how quickly Marvel went from being the king shits of comics town to dropping the ball this hard.

Its especially notable because they still put out previews for all their books every Friday

They just

Didn't do that one for some reason

CYpGAPn.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Kelly Thompson has been really busy by the way, between West Coast, Jessica Jones, Mr and Mrs X and now Captain Marvel. (And apparently Uncanny too as a co-writer? I've been following the other titles, but didn't notice she was on this.) One of the most productive writers these days I think?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Kelly Thompson has been really busy by the way, between West Coast, Jessica Jones, Mr and Mrs X and now Captain Marvel. (And apparently Uncanny too as a co-writer? I've been following the other titles, but didn't notice she was on this.) One of the most productive writers these days I think?
    She is also doing a Nancy Drew book for Dynamite I believe

She has always been very good at juggling multiple comics but after signing an exclusive deal with Marvel its clear they want her to be one of their top writers and gave her a ton of offers

CYpGAPn.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Comics work is basically freelance and in freelance if you aren't constantly hustling you aren't eating

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Far From Home trailer
    There's a healthy dollop of Doctor Strange up in that Mysterio mashup of superheroes, with the rotating glyphs and all... The magic has gotta be bullshit too, but I do wonder where a normal nerd would have gotten reference materials for that. Doctor Strange hasn't really done any of his stuff in public?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Far From Home trailer
    There's a healthy dollop of Doctor Strange up in that Mysterio mashup of superheroes, with the rotating glyphs and all... The magic has gotta be bullshit too, but I do wonder where a normal nerd would have gotten reference materials for that. Doctor Strange hasn't really done any of his stuff in public?
    Both Dr. Strange & Wong used magic on a public street in New York City during Infinity War.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Far From Home trailer
    Both Dr. Strange & Wong used magic on a public street in New York City during Infinity War.

Oh hey, yeah. That makes a lotta sense.
    was thinking it's funny he picked green, given most people won't ever know about Strange's time stone magic, since it usually entails a rewind and overwriting events. Buuut that opening Infinity War scene features Strange busting out some green glyphs and promptly getting interrupted mid spell. So some onlooker would have no idea what it meant. Maybe he was about to do a big laser beam. Yeh, green magic is lasers.

Oh brilliant
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Far From Home trailer

They might have seen some of the stuff he did against Black Dwarf and Corvus Glaive when Strange, Iron Man, and Spider Man were fighting them in New York. I'm sure there's cellphone video.

This discussion has been closed.