As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Car Headlight

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
So I have a VW Beetle 2010 and I tried to change my own headlights. Both low beams were blown. I followed youtube, finally got the passenger one swapped and now neither the low or the high beam work anymore. What might I have done? Any ideas on what to check?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    only thing I can think of is somehow the wiring harness might have jiggled loose. I'm not sure how you'd test it though.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Could use some pictures if you have them, cause I am too lazy to look them up myself. Things off the top of my head though:

1. Make sure you aren't touching the glass of the bulbs with your hand. It's probably not this since I would have expected them to still turn on initially but burn out faster if you handled them, but something to keep in mind.

2. Could be a blown fuse if the light or electrical plug was improperly seated when you turned it on, or if you didn't turn off the power before unplugging it. So I would check your fuses.

3. Could just be loose/not plugged in wires like Xaquin said, so worth it to go over every connection again and wiggle it. Make sure everything seems properly seated.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The comments on a youtube video said basically that, that the harness might not be secure. I'm going to go back out in a few minutes and check that again.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Double check the exact numbers for the bulb, too. There are bulbs that will be visually identical and have very similar numbers, but a B or S on the end means they're wired differently and will blow instantly if you're supposed to be using the one that ends in A.

Well, I've given up and made an appointment. After being quoted $100ish for the labor all over the place, we got a recommendation who said it really should only be $30ish in labor and frankly I'm more than willing to pay that (it's been about 20 degrees F today). Thanks folks!

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yeah, $30 seems fair. Probably take 10 minutes per light

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Can you update the thread when the mechanic gets done? I'm really curious what the cause ends up being.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Well, I've given up and made an appointment. After being quoted $100ish for the labor all over the place, we got a recommendation who said it really should only be $30ish in labor and frankly I'm more than willing to pay that (it's been about 20 degrees F today). Thanks folks!

30 dollars is a steal to not have to root around in/near a car engine in subfreezing weather imo.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    If you need an oil change and don't mind paying to have it changed see if you have a Valvoline Instant Oil Change nearby. They've always quoted me a flat $15 labor charge to replace any light, and have always been happy to use any light I bring in without any fuss or extra charges.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    my guess is something isn't seated correctly. Headlights are pretty straightforward so long as the bulb is correct and pushed in all the way

camo_sig.png
    So I'm back from the shop. First, he did say my car recommended a slightly different headlight type so that was part of it. Otherwise, he thinks the passenger high beam stopped working because I probably shook it to death trying to remove it (you have to remove the entire headlight assembly and I struggled until I figured out the trick.). He was able to return the bulbs I bought and credit them and replace all four for eighty bucks. And I stayed warm and played match 3 games while he did it.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    This one sounds like a keeper. Write his information down in like three places so you don't lose it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    So I'm back from the shop. First, he did say my car recommended a slightly different headlight type so that was part of it. Otherwise, he thinks the passenger high beam stopped working because I probably shook it to death trying to remove it (you have to remove the entire headlight assembly and I struggled until I figured out the trick.). He was able to return the bulbs I bought and credit them and replace all four for eighty bucks. And I stayed warm and played match 3 games while he did it.

Wow, this shop is a customer service rock-star. That's pretty excellent service!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Skeith wrote: »
    This one sounds like a keeper. Write his information down in like three places so you don't lose it.

Maybe leave him a nice review on Google Maps and Yelp too. Those can help a lot.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png