As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Ashe is now Live!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »
    The intro with that skin is just awful imo. Any other skin I think is fine with that highlight intro, but that combo makes it creepy to me.

C'mon it's creepy in a lot of skins.

Also I like the new one where she leaps in, rolls on the ground, flips her coat away and yanks up the rifle. S'very dynamic and I wish Tracer had something like that.

You do, with the only true Tracer intro: Hurdle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »
    The intro with that skin is just awful imo. Any other skin I think is fine with that highlight intro, but that combo makes it creepy to me.

C'mon it's creepy in a lot of skins.

Also I like the new one where she leaps in, rolls on the ground, flips her coat away and yanks up the rifle. S'very dynamic and I wish Tracer had something like that.

You do, with the only true Tracer intro: Hurdle.

Ewww. Hurdle has one good moment and it's the look of determination on Tracer's face before she takes off.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Tracer's best highlight intro is Serious Business. It isn't even close.

• Options
    Tracer's best highlight intro is Serious Business. It isn't even close.

Y'know what I've determined? It's weird, but...

I'm almost entirely certain that I get more endorsements when I'm packin' Serious Business - and I'm certain to the point that for the last three weeks, about, I haven't switched off it. Just In Time and Backflip are "look how badass I am!", I think, and perhaps that indication of confidence breeds a negative reaction. Serious Business is "eyyyy this was fun, right?" and people are like "yeah, that was pretty fun! Thanks for the good game, Tracer!"

• Options
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I really appreciated the answer about who to focus and why. Targets of opportunity was already mostly clear to me, but the idea that you focus the target that your least mobile teammate can shoot - or, more accurately, the highest number of your teammates can shoot? Total game-changer.

Just this past week I've been trying to rethink target focusing and deliberately watching out for who my teammates are shooting so I can join in (mentally difficult without any sort of framework, hence that seemingly apropos-of-nothing comment about mindful improvement). I was basically shedding SR this week because I was ignoring targets of opportunity in order to make some sense of what 5 totally disorganised Gold/Plats were all doing and then make some kind of decision about who to help. It wasn't working, yet I couldn't even figure out the solution. And then Jayne breaks it down literally a day later.

It's still tough, but it's a starting point. It's not easy to look around for your McCree all the time and then notice he's off on some stupid flank and you can't help him anyway so you have to think about who your next least mobile teammate is and oh you've just lost the teamfight because you weren't doing anything! The SR isn't all back yet...

But just tonight I was watching who my Rein was hammering and I helped! FeelsGoodMan.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Rein is the hardest tank to help, for me. Orisa can deal damage at range, and I can get in there and hurt what she's hurting but with Rein, there's simultaneously the feeling that you'll be safe behind his shield, the fear that he'll drop it and you'll get shredded by DPS meant for him and the fact that being behind Rein is not where I need to be to deal damage.

I need to help a Rein like I pick an Ana inside her Winston's bubble - don't be anywhere near him, suddenly appear, land a clip and disappear again.

With Winston, D.Va and Hog I know exactly what to do - go where Winston goes, shoot what he shoots. This is actually so goddamned easy that a solid Winston and I can be so dominant that the enemy team will literally give up on KotH maps. Same with D.Va, but because she's more of a peeler it's more like she's backing you up - and with Hog it's just "shoot what he hooks."

Simple, simple.

Rein, not so simple. For me, anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    And that, in a nutshell, is why if I've picked Reinhardt, I then instantly unpick him when the two dps pick some weird flanky duo like Tracer/Sombra. Sure the rest of our lineup screams Rein - we've got Zarya, Ana, Lucio here and we all locked in first and fair's fair. But if neither of my dps will ever stand behind my shield I'm going Ball or Winston because Reinhardt just isn't the pick anymore. Not because it can't possibly work but because, well, I think the dps players around this level have an idea about what kind of match they want to play, and the hero they pick is the best signal for that. If they don't want to play the same game as your tank lineup, you're living in Struggle Town, Frustration State.

Oh hey @Brutal J you'd be so proud of me! The other day I was a Hog unnoticed behind the enemy backline towards the end of a teamfight (things had gotten weird ok?) and it was looking we were losing, but I looked at the enemy and thought "I can kill everyone still living with just a good hook pick and then a Whole Hog!" And I was just about to walk in and do it! But then I noticed my health was about 350 and my huff was still on cd and I thought "Waaaaaait a second, I've seen this movie before...."

And so I waited 4 seconds to get my huff back and then I did the thing and we won the teamfight and the whole defence round and therefore the match and my team carried me aloft and the credits rolled and I won the Oscar and it was just beautiful.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If I'm playing Rein vs Rein generally I'm just going to want my Tracer in the backline creating chaos and forcing people to turn around. Like if it's rein vs rein, but we're trading our Tracer to keep the enemy Ana busy, I'm very happy with that matchup, and it should let me dominate the tank duel.

If I'm playing versus Orisa that's still true, but it's nice to get some more focus on Orisa, especially if Tracer can force out fortify early.

Versus Winston just dive the backline all the time, so Winston has to waste leaps clearing out his own backline and not diving ours

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Half of a second is always shaved off the end of Tracer's highlight intro with the dragon head.
    *BOM*
    *BOM*
    *BOMBOMBOM* "Ye-"

Half of a 'Yeah!' is the worst crime in Overwatch history.

• Options
    I can still get a lotta' work done with a Rein, but it's less about backing him up than creating opportunities in the enemy backline to lessen pressure on him in the front, and create opportunities Vs. the opposing Rein. And following up on his ult. A decent shatter is always good for at least one one-clipped squishy.

OMG speaking of Reins - I was workin' on my next vid last night and I found one of the best examples ever of Chance Bullying Reinhardt.

I'm coming out of spawn with my healers, headed towards the choke on Hanamura A attack for the first fight of the match. We're going down the alley on the right of the noodle stand opposite the choke, and I hear a Rein begin his charge. I take a step or two backwards and the Rein comes screaming out of the large health pack room, narrowly missing both my Moira and I in the alley, and I begin laying into him with the pistols.

This takes about six clips, I think, but I don't give him a second's breathing room as he flails and tries to shield himself and retreat to his team at the choke. By around two and a half clips, he's back behind the choke with his team and I don't let up. I blink in, land a clip, blink away as he flails with the hammer and McCree wastes his flash on empty space, I blink back in, filling him up with lead, his Mercy latches on and tries to keep him healed but I blink back further into his side of the choke, reload, put the pistols to his back and finish him off.

I'm at like 110 HP with no rewind, so I don't wait to try to punish the rez - I just go back to my side of the choke. He had his entire team with him there, backing him up for the 10 seconds it took to kill him, and it was no stop to me.

I don't know a lot about working with my team's Rein, but I am very good at establishing a clear dialogue with the enemy's.

"Hey. Psst. Hey enemy Rein."

"Yes enemy Tracer?"

"You're gonna' want to start swinging that hammer every time you hear the blink sound, and do your best to land the firestrike-hammer combo for the rest of this match."

"I understand."

"'Cause if you don't I'll fuckin' kill ya."

"Yeah, I get that."

"I know you do, baby. I know you do."

fizcoyz08w81.png

"Will... will swinging the hammer wildly and trying to land that combo... will it help?"

(Whispers.) "No."
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Half of a second is always shaved off the end of Tracer's highlight intro with the dragon head.
    *BOM*
    *BOM*
    *BOMBOMBOM* "Ye-"

Half of a 'Yeah!' is the worst crime in Overwatch history.

That's the case with all the OG highlight intros lately - most of them have a last-second flourish that's cut off for some reason. Like in Tracer's basic highlight intro, she blows a bit of hair out of her eyes, looks up at the camera and blinks, and then she looks to the side.

You'll never see her look to the side and you usually don't see the blink.

The new dynamic highlight intros we got last January (I think) don't have that problem - the important keyframe is always several seconds before the end, so it's never cut off.

• Options
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i wish i could sleep my own team to prevent them from waking up that Bob.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i wish i could sleep my own team to prevent them from waking up that Bob.

Def the best moment of the vid - I lol'd.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Skirmishing! Just have fun!
    Leaving skirmish to join game.
    Waiting for players.
    Not enough players, finding a new game.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    And that, in a nutshell, is why if I've picked Reinhardt, I then instantly unpick him when the two dps pick some weird flanky duo like Tracer/Sombra. Sure the rest of our lineup screams Rein - we've got Zarya, Ana, Lucio here and we all locked in first and fair's fair. But if neither of my dps will ever stand behind my shield I'm going Ball or Winston because Reinhardt just isn't the pick anymore. Not because it can't possibly work but because, well, I think the dps players around this level have an idea about what kind of match they want to play, and the hero they pick is the best signal for that. If they don't want to play the same game as your tank lineup, you're living in Struggle Town, Frustration State.

Oh hey Brutal J you'd be so proud of me! The other day I was a Hog unnoticed behind the enemy backline towards the end of a teamfight (things had gotten weird ok?) and it was looking we were losing, but I looked at the enemy and thought "I can kill everyone still living with just a good hook pick and then a Whole Hog!" And I was just about to walk in and do it! But then I noticed my health was about 350 and my huff was still on cd and I thought "Waaaaaait a second, I've seen this movie before...."

And so I waited 4 seconds to get my huff back and then I did the thing and we won the teamfight and the whole defence round and therefore the match and my team carried me aloft and the credits rolled and I won the Oscar and it was just beautiful.

Yay!

Thing with Rein is his hammer is more important than his shield most of the time, his shield is there to get him/the team into better positioning... so he can hammer faces. The DPS arn't really important; Rein can help Zarya get her energy up and her at 100% with Rein is all the DPS you need. Front line pressure can be an issue, but flankers can keep that at bay just as well as DPS behind you can match theirs.

But like... Hammond/Zarya ain't bad so /shrug.

• Options
    Leaving skirmish to join game.
    Waiting for players.
    Not enough players, finding a new game.

Its right up there with my 6 stack skirmishing against another 6 stack for 3 minutes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    oooh were we talking about favorite highlight intros in here?

i feel like this is the first winston potg i got since getting this skin but it was worth it because it makes this highlight intro THE BEST

https://youtu.be/cqiKtfYAoXI

also i knew i was gonna get something done with this ult cos the rein was too far forward, but i mostly lucked into the S-tier bomb placement

https://youtu.be/B1eR85YtSgw

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    1 - you're right about that skin & intro and I am changing my Winston intro the next time I log in.

2 - those are both awesome ^.^

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah I was going to say as someone who is maining Rein lately I love good flankers. They take pressure off of me and let me advance aggressively and tear up the game with hammers, generating tons of ult charge and game winning hammers.

Rein vs other tanks comes down to his dive able their healers are and if I feel like I need to protect my own healers.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    On the other hand, as a Rein on a team with a Tracer main in a coordinated environment I had a lot of grief from them just pushing us when they knew Tracer was on her way to flank. It was always a thing that we didn't do very well when actively put under pressure, but especially when they capitalized on those free 6v5s it was rough.

Though teams that are tight enough to authoritatively push on a timing are always going to be an uphill battle.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    On the other hand, as a Rein on a team with a Tracer main in a coordinated environment I had a lot of grief from them just pushing us when they knew Tracer was on her way to flank. It was always a thing that we didn't do very well when actively put under pressure, but especially when they capitalized on those free 6v5s it was rough.

Though teams that are tight enough to authoritatively push on a timing are always going to be an uphill battle.

That moment when you're not in position to start your gank before the teamfight is on is a real downer.

This is why Tracers burn 3 blinks out of spawn and leave y'all in the dust. We're not going to try to 1v6! Usually!

We're just trying to get beside (or better yet behind) the reds before you guys are knocking at the gates.

• Options
    Reins that drop their shield long enough to take a few hits that I can heal up for sweet sweet ult charge are my second favorite people. They were the top, but for some reason I have been grouped with a lot of really reliable and effective Roadhog players lately and he has become my favorite tank to follow around.

• Options
    For the record, my full tank ranking is

Roadhog
    Rein
    Orisa
    Dva (hate healing them but love piggybacking off them for mobility)
    Winston
    Zarya
    Brigitte
    Yup that’s all of them.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Awesome:

youtube

I fully expect that we'll see an actual version of Hakim complete with Jekyll and Hyde mechanics in some kind of weird off-Tank role sometime three years down the line.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    For our Hamsters - this Harbleu vid ends with some cool advice on the hero. It's probably more for people who haven't really invested in him yet, but the short paraphrased version is...

"If you wanna' get good on Hammond, open custom games, go into every map and spend five or ten minutes just swinging around the map. Learn how to get around quickly, where you can do flanks and roll through quick and to not get stuck on the geometry. After that go into QP or ranked and start working on slams and coordinating that - but the movement comes first. The movement facilitates everything else."

Thought that was awesome.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Harbleu's Hammond is amazing. I know there's technically people ranked higher than him for stats or whatever, and folks who know more fiddly little tricks and stuff than he does, but I feel like he can get the most value out of Hammond of anyone on a good day.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    they never pulled out a mei or a sombra...don't those shut down ham pretty fast?

• Options
    They're both counters, but don't underestimate how effective McCree and Brig can be against him. Sombra and Mei fuck with his movement and that's often very effective, but instead of a broader window where he has more options (wall, hack) a Flash or Bash give your team 1 perfect second to unload a perfect shot on him - and that can be just as effective.

When I see Hams die it's usually 'cause they got flashed or bashed - but maybe that's because I don't see Mei or Sombra much lately.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    You never see the Mei until it's too late. Sorry sorry sorry sorry.

Bonus Winston jumping on my Mei dropping a bubble.. I'm not locked in here with you Winston, you're locked in here with me! Sorry sorry sorry sorry

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I know that in theory Mei's supposed to be a great counter to Ball, but I personally fear Sombra and Hog and nuCree way more. If you get off your adaptive barrier, get in ball form, and save Grapple for after the freeze then Mei is really reliant on her team bringing a buttload of focus fire on you to make the freeze count, and I just don't see that happen to me a lot, personally. Say you only get adaptive off on Mei and then get into ball form. She hits you with 75 damage, taking you down to a scaaaaaary 725 hp with no crit box. If you've picked your fight, that's basically unkillable.

Meanwhile, Hog and Cree may have shorter disables but they bring more damage themselves, they can hit you in the head before you ball up, and they don't even care much once you ball up anyway. Also, Mei doesn't stop you getting your whole combo off and just generally doing your job for that valuable couple of seconds, while Cree and Hog can and do. I'm not saying Mei isn't part of the solution to ball, I just don't think she's a panacea.

Hell, I actually fear a high charge Zarya about as much as Mei: 190 dps means in the time Mei has frozen you and effectively whispered "pew!" Zarya has taken over half your health bar away. And from greater range, creating a larger total safe area for her team. And bubbling that fucking Zen who keeps throwing discords on me and I can't even kill him because of that fucking ZARYA and her bubbles deny me extra adaptive health and FUCK THIS GAME - Musicool has left the match.

And Sombra is just yet again the Fun Police and shouldn't be in the game.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Hmm. We’re handily winning this match and I’ve rezzed four teammates so far without dying. I’d kinda like that huge Rez cheevo and there’s like 2:00 left in the match. Maybe I’ll just, you know, occasionally blue beam when I should be yellow beaming...
    I’m not a good person.

But I got the cheevo.

• Options
    Hmm. We’re handily winning this match and I’ve rezzed four teammates so far without dying. I’d kinda like that huge Rez cheevo and there’s like 2:00 left in the match. Maybe I’ll just, you know, occasionally blue beam when I should be yellow beaming...
    I’m not a good person.

But I got the cheevo.

Hey sometimes its quicker to rez someone to 100% then heal them there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I’m not a good person.

But I got the cheevo.

Hey sometimes its quicker to rez someone to 100% then heal them there.

-see your Rein is about to die to 4 enemies at once.
    -turn around and run away - take a left.
    -take another left.
    -take another left.
    -rez Reinhardt behind the enemy team.
    -Hammer Down.

• Options

I will not.

Not until you show me a new legendary event skin for Tracer!

• Options

I will not.

I think you already have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    It would be amazing for someone to edit that soldier highlight together with the tracer one

Bless your heart.
  • Options

I will not.

Narrator voice:

He got what he asked for.
    5rahsqvfqtut.jpg

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
  • Options

I will not.

I think you already have.

I have not. You cannot squeal when your mouth is twisted into a disapproving frown!

I will not.

Narrator voice:

He got what he asked for.
    5rahsqvfqtut.jpg

Based on the LNY skins we've had in the past, yes, it'll probably something I'd never use like Mercy's, Zarya's or Winston's. Odds are not good that it'd be something awesome like Black Lily - but it's the principle of the thing! I'm due! I'm duuuuuue!

This discussion has been closed.