As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's a few things they could do for WC4.

They could pull an Everquest 2 and set it way in the future, after some kind of major distaster where a lot of history is lost. They could set it on a new world, and then have the WoW expansion that follows be set on that planet. They could have it take place on the backside of Azeroth; have a bunch of WoW characters go on an expedition, disappear from WoW for awhile, and then bring them back into the story when they've A. Finished WC4 and B. Finished a WoW expansion that takes people to the new continents.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    We have seen fully rendered globes of the world of Azeroth in places like Ulduar, in the area run by the Watcher (Algalon), who have a cosmic perspective on the world. There is no such thing as the backside of Azeroth. The world is already fully mapped out and anything that gets added at this point is a blatant and awful retcon.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    We have seen fully rendered globes of the world of Azeroth in places like Ulduar, in the area run by the Watcher (Algalon), who have a cosmic perspective on the world. There is no such thing as the backside of Azeroth. The world is already fully mapped out and anything that gets added at this point is a blatant and awful retcon.

Nobody says those maps are complete. Whenever they show off actual Azeroth from space recently, they've covered the backside with a massive cloud cover instead of an empty ocean.

Also, Kalimdor is a friggen' retcon, so it's not like Warcraft lore is pure and untainted. :razz:

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »

So basically any time they make a map change to add a new continent to WoW. They've already contradicted those globes when they added Kul Tiras and Zandalar and Kezan and Broken Isles.

Those are merely environmental flavor items and I wouldn't put too much faith in the idea that they're anything more than that.

Donnicton on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Warcraft map has changed a lot. It really highlights that problem of trying to expand your fictional property out to a global scale to make it more epic, because you ironically set the maximum boundaries in place. And if your game touches all of those boundaries in a single step (vanilla WoW), then the retcons start. Warcraft 3 had maps of the continents and regions but it was abstract enough to leave a lot of space for more in the world.

Same thing happened with Diablo. The first game was a single town, and there was a whole world out there... until Diablo 2 happened. Rather than take a delicate step to say the next game happened within a single kingdom, they just say "travel the world." And anyone who denied that was the case sure got a surprise when Diablo 3 came out and it was confirmed that the full extent of that planet was what we saw.

They can never take the Legend of Zelda approach. Even Breath of the Wild, the fucking largest game, doesn't say "and that's all there is on this planet." It's a portion of a continent, and that gives it more character and room for it to grow. The Elder Scrolls largely happens on a single continent, but a lot of the lore and background (be it for the planet or the inhabitants thereof) note there's more out there.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I really don't think we'll ever get a WC4. If they do make another non-WoW Warcraft game, I'm guessing it'll be more along the lines of an action RPG and not an RTS. Starcraft is their RTS franchise now, and Warcraft is their RPG franchise. RTS is just not that popular a genre to justify making another game in it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Well dota was just a custom map someone made with the wc3 editor. Actually playing wc3 you can have big armies and stuff. I think wc2 was generally a smaller scale than starcraft as well. So wc3 having smaller strike forces and a hero makes sense. Personally id like it if they announced wc4 set a bit further down the road, and then wow can backfill the gap story-wise and then they can either overhaul wow to fit the new time setting, or develop both concurrently. Basically having wc4 tell all the shit that they have been hiding in books.

WC3 began life as an even smaller scale game. The original previews for it were a lot more like a 3rd person action game where you followed your hero over the shoulder and you ran around a map gathering units and then slowly had more and more guys that you would tell "attack here" and "use your net" and what not. No base building, very small number of units, etc, etc.

You can still see these roots in the WC3 campaign and setup. It's just fairly clear that they realised they were gonna either have to go full RTS or just not make an RTS at all and so they pulled the perspective back, set the camera more traditionally and made it much more RTS like.

shryke on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    is warcraft distantly in the future just starcraft though :thinking:

when BC was coming out the publicly stated hack by Blizzard for what to do with their tiny ass map was that every subsequent expansion would just be a different portal from Dreanor, as though this wasn't the first time the Orcs portaled to someone else's world

indeed, if you go around the BC map, there's one or two mini dark portals laying dormant

latest?cb=20070203200944

i always thought that would be extremely cool but then I think they kinda shit themselves at the idea of having to come up with entirely new realms of existence every year and have gone on to just flesh out and then revise every single element of lore that could possibly be exhumed out of the cannon that WC3 established

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I still stand by my position that Warlords of Draenor was an opportunity to hit reset on the series and give the MMO new life in the way of having the old zones be bigger, more full of detail, and not have to explore them all at once.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Man I’d be down for an opened world Warcraft themed third-Person RPG/RTS ala Brutal Legend.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    This is a dumb question, but I'v never been able to figure out the answer: as someone who didn't play the WoW expansions past BC, what happened with Warlords of Dreanor? I know the general plotline, but what happened with the time-travel retcon stuff? Did they use that opportunity to re-make the universe that the players are in, and everything else is 'some other timeline'? Or was the retcon timeline the 'other universe'?

I'm so confused.

8R7BtLw.png
    Apogee wrote: »
    This is a dumb question, but I'v never been able to figure out the answer: as someone who didn't play the WoW expansions past BC, what happened with Warlords of Dreanor? I know the general plotline, but what happened with the time-travel retcon stuff? Did they use that opportunity to re-make the universe that the players are in, and everything else is 'some other timeline'? Or was the retcon timeline the 'other universe'?

I'm so confused.

They dropped it almost entirely. They used it as an excuse to bring alternate-Gul'Dan into Legion as an early antagonist, and there's a brief followup regarding it during the quest line to recruit the Mag'Har, but beyond that it has no other relevance to future content.

Donnicton wrote: »

I'm so confused.

They dropped it almost entirely. They used it as an excuse to bring alternate-Gul'Dan into Legion as an early antagonist, and there's a brief followup regarding it during the quest line to recruit the Mag'Har, but beyond that it has no other relevance to future content.

i was trying to answer this question in my own head and I couldn't come up with anything other than "wait... what actually DID happen in that expansion?"

yeah... I think that's pretty much it. A completely isolated universe that I guess Gul'dan escaped from, along with the concept of garrisons

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

I'm so confused.

i was trying to answer this question in my own head and I couldn't come up with anything other than "wait... what actually DID happen in that expansion?"

yeah... I think that's pretty much it. A completely isolated universe that I guess Gul'dan escaped from, along with the concept of garrisons

That's so weird.

So, for instance, Gul'dan still died ingloriously in a cave somewhere?

8R7BtLw.png

I'm so confused.

That's so weird.

So, for instance, Gul'dan still died ingloriously in a cave somewhere?

Yes, because that was Gul'Dan Prime. Nu'Dan died in a Legion raid.

Think of it like the JJ Abrams Star Trek - they didn't rewrite existing history, they created an alternate timeline.

creating new things is scary

• RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    We should get Doc Brown to put the explanation up on a whiteboard.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Id honestly be ok with wc4 being completely unrelated to actual wow and just be the striggle for alternate draenor where you play the good guy orcs and fight the bad guy lightforged, because why not?

creating new things is scary
    Creating things in the macro scope is easier than micro.

edited January 2019

when BC was coming out the publicly stated hack by Blizzard for what to do with their tiny ass map was that every subsequent expansion would just be a different portal from Dreanor, as though this wasn't the first time the Orcs portaled to someone else's world

indeed, if you go around the BC map, there's one or two mini dark portals laying dormant

latest?cb=20070203200944

i always thought that would be extremely cool but then I think they kinda shit themselves at the idea of having to come up with entirely new realms of existence every year and have gone on to just flesh out and then revise every single element of lore that could possibly be exhumed out of the cannon that WC3 established

BC itself was just so weird. Because the clear place to go next was Northrend. It's on the map, it's there, it's a big part of the story and it's literally what we ended Vanilla leading in to. And then suddenly we're off on this map tippy sci-fi crystal magic adventure with space goats and stupid retcons. It feels like the kind of thing you do 4 expansions down the line after you've run out of ideas and have already yanked pandas out of the "brake glass in case of no idea where to go next" case. And then we just immediately pivot back to Northrend and basically ignore everything they introduced.

shryke on
    shryke wrote: »

latest?cb=20070203200944

BC itself was just so weird. Because the clear place to go next was Northrend. It's on the map, it's there, it's a big part of the story and it's literally what we ended Vanilla leading in to. And then suddenly we're off on this map tippy sci-fi crystal magic adventure with space goats and stupid retcons. It feels like the kind of thing you do 4 expansions down the line after you've run out of ideas and have already yanked pandas out of the "brake glass in case of no idea where to go next" case. And then we just immediately pivot back to Northrend and basically ignore everything they introduced.

yeah but.... illidan

yeah I never really thought about it, but ending Vanilla with Naxx and then just putting that entire concept on hold for a year or two was in retrospect pretty weird.

It didn't bother me because I think nearly every aspect of BC was awesome and I miss it.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

latest?cb=20070203200944

yeah but.... illidan

yeah I never really thought about it, but ending Vanilla with Naxx and then just putting that entire concept on hold for a year or two was in retrospect pretty weird.

It didn't bother me because I think nearly every aspect of BC was awesome and I miss it.

From the aspect of Warcraft III alone, Northrend (and Arthas) were very obvious as a path--but Draenor was basically introduced in an entire expansion (Beyond the Dark Portal), on top of being featured in Warcraft III's expansion.

There were dumb retcons in the implementation, no doubts there, but the same is true to some extent about Northrend. I mean, do we really need to have a tropical jungle in what is supposed to be a frozen desolate hellscape in Warcraft III? We don't have other jungles that are perfectly suitable? The underground Azjol-Nerub kingdom wouldn't have worked without it?

It felt like BC was a decision the the incomplete state of High Elves/Blood Elves, as an old mainstay of the franchise, had to be corrected (along with their historic region) in the unfinished region north of Loradaeron, and then Draenor spun out of that, before going to an entirely self-contained continent. Not handled well, but some of the content is pretty obviously important.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh im thinking about BC now and feeling ways

I miss Netherstorm

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

As a non-WoW player from the outside this doesn't seem like it gets enough aknowledgement.

It's over a decade in and the latest expansion is STILL obsessed with a character introduced in WC3. And its in a line of several expansions doing the exact same thing!

If they ever made a WC4 they should get back to their old thing of mostly new characters that quickly reshape the world, and not be stuck in the eternal timewarp that is WoW.

BC and WOTLK are the furthest I've ever gotten into the WoW endgame, so it's no surprise I favor them.

edited January 2019
    I'd be really into a WC4 that's like a WC3/MOBA hybrid, where you just control a party of hero units. Maybe you build bases and capture territory, but the army units are autonomous and push down lanes.

Zek on
    edited January 2019

latest?cb=20070203200944

yeah but.... illidan

TBC was the best at the time but after WOTLK it feels so outdated leveling through it. This became really glaring after Cata and if Cata had done better I think we'd have seen a similar overhaul of Dreanor.

Also, TBC introduced the eternal nemesis of the WoW design team: the flying mount.

shryke on
    Zek wrote: »
    I'd be really into a WC4 that's like a WC3/MOBA hybrid, where you just control a party of hero units. Maybe you build bases and capture territory, but the army units are autonomous and push down lanes.

Whenever I hear "lanes" I immediately think "100% MOBA, no exceptions."

It's not reasonable, but then again, I never got into the genre despite playing its origin source (hell, I even played that mode in Future Cop: LAPD a.k.a. Transformers: Police Brutality edition).

But I like the idea of less SC-style micromanagement and more autonomous units, in formations. And grander scope.

I guess what I want is CA to make Total Warcraft, and I'm just bitter Warhammer got there first and was highly successful.

latest?cb=20070203200944

yeah but.... illidan

TBC was the best at the time but after WOTLK it feels so outdated leveling through it. This became really glaring after Cata and if Cata had done better I think we'd have seen a similar overhaul of Dreanor.

Also, TBC introduced the eternal nemesis of the WoW design team: the flying mount.

It feels like at this point the game is really designed to use level boosts. Going from level 1 through the expansions is a tedious process. Really you want to be playing the relevant content where everyone is, so you just boost there and the rest of the game world may as well not exist.

Which is why I stopped playing the game. I actually liked the "tedium" of walking from zone to zone, opening up text boxes and reading canned stories, exploration, finding new equipment, and then repeating the process in the next zone. I remember being chronically broke in the original WoW to the point where, upon hitting level 40, I put off buying my first mount because I was too poor, and didn't really mind traveling. I was playing the game wrong.

Though fuck collection quests. God, those were always a pain. Anything dependent on a RNG sucks, at least with deliveries and unnumbered bounties you literally know where you are with them.

It's a wonder I ever got to WOTLK's endgame at all. I did get a Oynx Netherdrake in Draenor though.

Zek wrote: »
    Reminds me of alpha level Warcraft 3. They originally planned it so that your armies could only move / attack when in the general area of your heroes.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Given Blizzards propensity for alternate universes/timelines, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to continue Warcraft 4 straight from were TFT left off, and just disregard the timeline of events in WoW. By all means use characters and places introduced in WoW, but remix them? I can't honestly say there's been a major storyline introduced in WoW that I'd miss, its always been the setting I've enjoyed.

As far as Warcraft as an RTS goes, I would definitely prefer it stayed a pure RTS. I've enjoyed Total War games, MOBAs, tower defence, small scale RPGS, but they're not what Warcraft is to me. The way id handled Doom 2016 is a good example of the kind of update I want.

Given Blizzards propensity for alternate universes/timelines, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to continue Warcraft 4 straight from were TFT left off, and just disregard the timeline of events in WoW. By all means use characters and places introduced in WoW, but remix them? I can't honestly say there's been a major storyline introduced in WoW that I'd miss, its always been the setting I've enjoyed.

As far as Warcraft as an RTS goes, I would definitely prefer it stayed a pure RTS. I've enjoyed Total War games, MOBAs, tower defence, small scale RPGS, but they're not what Warcraft is to me. The way id handled Doom 2016 is a good example of the kind of update I want.
    In what property have they demonstrated a love for that? They've certainly utilized them, but it has always been with the intent to shape / move the main timeline forward while the alternate is abandoned completely.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

In what property have they demonstrated a love for that? They've certainly utilized them, but it has always been with the intent to shape / move the main timeline forward while the alternate is abandoned completely.

True, I probably overdid it there. It would at least be cleaner than numerous retcons, timeskips and reintroductions though.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Make warcraft 4 about Cromie fucking with the time line and explain that all retcons past and future are her doing. Just go hog wild with it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    TheStig wrote: »
    Make warcraft 4 about Cromie fucking with the time line and explain that all retcons past and future are her doing. Just go hog wild with it.

That could have been an interesting heroes of the story event where they do a big thing like Heroes vs Villains, and just slip chromie into the villain side and watch the fireworks then reveal chromie has been secretly screwing everything up.

Though i guess currently chromie is seen as the damned messiah of truth, and prophet of the light because she was in the classic wow trailer.

Enigmedic on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    warcraft 4 more like timesplitters 4

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    warcraft 4 more like timesplitters 4

Where is my cat racing underground?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

latest?cb=20070203200944

yeah but.... illidan

From the aspect of Warcraft III alone, Northrend (and Arthas) were very obvious as a path--but Draenor was basically introduced in an entire expansion (Beyond the Dark Portal), on top of being featured in Warcraft III's expansion.

There were dumb retcons in the implementation, no doubts there, but the same is true to some extent about Northrend. I mean, do we really need to have a tropical jungle in what is supposed to be a frozen desolate hellscape in Warcraft III? We don't have other jungles that are perfectly suitable? The underground Azjol-Nerub kingdom wouldn't have worked without it?

It felt like BC was a decision the the incomplete state of High Elves/Blood Elves, as an old mainstay of the franchise, had to be corrected (along with their historic region) in the unfinished region north of Loradaeron, and then Draenor spun out of that, before going to an entirely self-contained continent. Not handled well, but some of the content is pretty obviously important.

They could have fleshed out the High Elves and paired them with I dunno Quillboars joining on with the Horde after they resurrected Agamaggan or something. Take one of the existing non-player races, give them better/updated models so players can be them, and give them like an actual story. The Draenei from TBC are almost nothing like the Broken from WC3 and they had to just make up and change SO MUCH lore to justify them and all the changes. There were a lot of better avenues for expansion. Hell, adding the Draenei as Eredar cousins but having them come after the Orcish invasion of Azeroth would have worked better IMO.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Synthesis wrote: »

latest?cb=20070203200944

yeah but.... illidan

They could have fleshed out the High Elves and paired them with I dunno Quillboars joining on with the Horde after they resurrected Agamaggan or something. Take one of the existing non-player races, give them better/updated models so players can be them, and give them like an actual story. The Draenei from TBC are almost nothing like the Broken from WC3 and they had to just make up and change SO MUCH lore to justify them and all the changes. There were a lot of better avenues for expansion. Hell, adding the Draenei as Eredar cousins but having them come after the Orcish invasion of Azeroth would have worked better IMO.

Yeah, I think it came down no one would want to "roll" a Broken Draenei, and Blizzard knew it, ergo they wouldn't work as a faction. The fact that the game launched without High Elves or Blood Elves--I mean, that was a big fucking deal in WCIII:FT--was kind of flawed though not unforgivable. High Elves were always a prominent feature in the franchise, and even in WC3 (more so than Dwarves, frankly). And there was an obvious role for them: counterpart to the Horde's Troll as an Alliance race. And I'm saying that as someone who likes the political shift of the Blood Elves for mixing things up.

Plus, the early high elf models kind of sucked. Even by the standards of when they came out. That's a "Why is Sylvannas a night elf in a dress?" issue though.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with gnomes, but let's not pretend they weren't basically a footnote prior to WoW. Even goblins were better presented.