As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There should be a game with Rita and Magilou

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

And Pascal.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

And Pascal.

And Beryl!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1FiE16T30

Pretty slick video for Tales of Crestoria, the upcoming Mobile Tales of game. Looks like this game has a pretty strong motif about crimes and criminals etc. that might be interesting.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1FiE16T30

Pretty slick video for Tales of Crestoria, the upcoming Mobile Tales of game. Looks like this game has a pretty strong motif about crimes and criminals etc. that might be interesting.

The animation style kind of gives me a Flashback vibe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So just started Zestiria and it doesn't have fireball?!?!

I turned Rita into a fireball machine gun in Vesperia, was looking forward to doing that again. Going to have to find something else to blast things with, I guess.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I turned Rita into a fireball machine gun in Vesperia, was looking forward to doing that again. Going to have to find something else to blast things with, I guess.

The endgame is earthquakes in my experience. Just endless infinite earthquakes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

The endgame is earthquakes in my experience. Just endless infinite earthquakes.

Yep, this is how I farmed Edna's demon door. Just endless quakes.

Madican on
    Then it seems I need to find Edna ASAP. Using Lailah's Photon Blaze in the meantime. Thanks for the info.

Hmm, what's the skill called exactly? Could have sworn I saw it somewhere, not my searches are coming up empty.

Quake Trigger?

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition is out today. This game is pure joy.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    My collectors edition of vesperia is currently stuck in the netherlands, really hoping I get it early on next week instead of late.

Has me really dissapointed since me and a friend were gonna start the long journey of 100%ing on monday.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Vesperia came in the mail yesterday and I spent most of my available time playing it.

It's... odd how much I remember and how much I forgot. Makes for a curious experience.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    PEE THE WORLD

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Vesperia is probably my favorite Tales, mostly because I think it was a complete and total fluke imo. You're not actually playing as the "Main hero" That guy is Flynn, you're essentially playing as Gary Oak to his Ash Ketchum and I thought that was kind of a neat perspective.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    PEE THE WORLD

Oh God I completely forgot that's an actual sidequest in this game!!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    PEE THE WORLD

Oh God I completely forgot that's an actual sidequest in this game!!

Repede is civilization.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Reminder that Tales of Vesperia comes with DLC (including costumes) that may be hard to find especially on the Switch eShop.

https://www.vgr.com/tales-of-vesperia-switch-free-dlc-how-to-get-adventurer-starter-pack/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Is that timed DLC? I wasn't planning on picking up Vesperia until I'd beaten Xenoblade Chronicles (and even then I should finish Zesteria first...)

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Is that timed DLC? I wasn't planning on picking up Vesperia until I'd beaten Xenoblade Chronicles (and even then I should finish Zesteria first...)

I don't think it's timed.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    Another thing to keep in mind is some of the free DLC can break the early game with the amount of money and levels it can give you.

The costume DLC... weren't some of those from stuff in the base game (e.g. colliseum)? Hard to tell, it's been a while.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The costume DLC... weren't some of those from stuff in the base game (e.g. colliseum)? Hard to tell, it's been a while.

A lot of the DLC pack costumes are just early unlocks of things you can earn in-game.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Not 100% digging Vesperia. Combat feels awkward and clunky compared to Berseria. Trying not to hold it against the game since it came out like 10 years ago, and Berseria has the benefit of being the most recent entry. Still, having a hard time getting into it since the combat isn't terribly fun. Characters seem alright, though. Not too far into the story, but I'm going to stick with it and see if it pulls me in.

Had to switch to the Japanese VA over the dreadful English VA too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Not 100% digging Vesperia. Combat feels awkward and clunky compared to Berseria. Trying not to hold it against the game since it came out like 10 years ago, and Berseria has the benefit of being the most recent entry. Still, having a hard time getting into it since the combat isn't terribly fun. Characters seem alright, though. Not too far into the story, but I'm going to stick with it and see if it pulls me in.

The English VA has some strong performances (Yuri and Rita spring to mind especially) but also has Karol (I don't blame the actor; kid voices are a pain) and I'm not super fond of Estelle's breathiness, either.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    Skull2185 wrote: »

The gameplay is very different from the newer games, and vesperia locks a lot of stuff behind game progression. Vesperia was before tales stopped locking basic combat features until 10-20 hours into the game, or on missable objects.

I might be misremembering and you just don't enjoy vesperia combat, but I recall it opening up a lot later.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Does Tales of Vesperia hide a ton of content behind repeatedly being in the right place at the right time, like pretty much every other Tales game of that era? If so, does anyone have a link to a good spoiler-light guide for that?

Vesperia has a ton of hidden optional content.

https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html seems to be a solid guide for missable stuff.

I'm using this guide.

https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html
    https://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html

It does take a while before the combat gets going, but I've enjoyed every moment so far. I recommend buying 1 of every weapon from stores and always equip weapons with skills to learn. Later on you'll get access to overlimits, burst artes, and fatal strikes which add a lot to the combat. Using certain artes over and over will enhance them over time, like Rita's fireball gaining additional projectiles.

I also recommend downloading the free "Adventurer Starter Pack" DLC and using the "Pack o’ Useful Stuff" item. It gets you, among other things, the ability to swap characters during battle. Normally you'd have to wait a while to get access to that ability. Just don't activate any of the free levels/items/gald or it will trivialize the experience.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Geeze. Looking around online I found someone saying 4/5ths of the game is probably missable if you ignore side quests and try to wait to do anything until postgame? And that maybe 50% of the monsters are missable if you don't use lenses constantly? Is this like the most missable content RPG ever made?

I started it on the Switch and somehow it isn't grabbing me off the bat like Symphonia and Abyss did. The graphics feel really jarring. Just as in Symphonia I feel like I could animate this better, easily. Everyone stands in static poses and gets auto-tweened to the next.

Weird choppiness with the graphics too. Not just a matter of frame rate, 30 FPS doesn't bother me. I feel like when I walk across a room the background scrapes across the screen in a jagged way...tough to explain. And it's separate from from the characters who seem smooth.

You can see what I mean here at 11:15 and on. It's almost rhythmic stuttering.

Maybe it's Yuri's run animation? Like the camera moves slightly faster with every stride, not when his feet are on the ground?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh boy.

I don't think I can come back from Berseria's combat. This all feels so choppy and slow.

edited January 2019
    Geeze. Looking around online I found someone saying 4/5ths of the game is probably missable if you ignore side quests and try to wait to do anything until postgame? And that maybe 50% of the monsters are missable if you don't use lenses constantly? Is this like the most missable content RPG ever made?

I started it on the Switch and somehow it isn't grabbing me off the bat like Symphonia and Abyss did. The graphics feel really jarring. Just as in Symphonia I feel like I could animate this better, easily. Everyone stands in static poses and gets auto-tweened to the next.

Weird choppiness with the graphics too. Not just a matter of frame rate, 30 FPS doesn't bother me. I feel like when I walk across a room the background scrapes across the screen in a jagged way...tough to explain. And it's separate from from the characters who seem smooth.

You can see what I mean here at 11:15 and on. It's almost rhythmic stuttering.

Maybe it's Yuri's run animation? Like the camera moves slightly faster with every stride, not when his feet are on the ground?

Anyone saying 4/5 is missable is exaggerating a lot.

The game has a lot of missable scenes, but major content not so much. A couple of strong weapons can be missed? Maybe one costume title for Yuri.

The monster book can be bad if you're going for 100% on that, yes. Surprisingly... bosses and other story fights only give you one shot to scan them. It's a pain, but the biggest offender is a few fights right at the start of the game (there's a tutorial, and a boss with indistinct phases where both have to be scanned).

Polaritie on
    Is there a good guide through the game that says what monsters are in each area?

I got to the world map earlier and thought I had everything scanned and then entered a fight with bees in it which never appear as monsters on the world map, so yeah...gotta get in endless random fights just to be sure.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Not gonna lie coming back and playing this after all the quality of life changes we got in later Tales games is kind of a trip.

There is a slowness and clunkiness to the combat that I didn't mind the first time around but is pretty noticeable now that I know better.

Also not having the ability to backdash or backdash cancel is really throwing me for a loop.

Like the core experience is still there I just realize we've come a long way.

Dragkonias on
    I can't find any way to quick-cook after combat, I have to fully enter the menu every time.

I googled and people said there should be like a button prompt next to Yuri's head or something but I see nothing.

Key item I get later? Need a little more progress yet? I have no idea.

I enjoy the slower combat. Not having skills like backstep and recover by default is frustrating though.

There's a button in the Cooking menu that will allow you to setup shortcuts. Maybe there's a key item you need to find or synthesize first. I downloaded the DLC items and immediately redeemed the "Pack o Useful Stuff" to get those quality of life items early.

edited January 2019
    I finally figured out how to do the cooking, yeah you have to manually set up shortcuts.

This game is reeeeeeally hard to care about in the opening hours. For many hours.

The two Tales I played before were Symphonia and Abyss.

At the start of Symphonia you learn you are leaving on a quest to regenerate the world, pretty standard RPG stuff. You go through some drama too to impress upon you how important the quest is and to show some of the faction-based problems in the world. If it's a bit bland, at least you get motivation to keep going as mysteries are introduced and before too long crazy revelations happen that keep you invested.

At the start of Abyss, a mysterious girl attacks you and your swordmaster, and somehow you (as a sheltered helpless noble) end up teleported along with the girl hundreds of miles away deep in enemy territory. Whatever events happen next, there's a context to everything you're doing as part of the journey home. And of course things happen along the way that introduce complications and changes of plans.

At the start of Vesperia, someone breaks the water supply of your home district, so you're sort of chasing them down, in addition to trying to find your friend so a girl can talk to him? We don't really know what she has to say or why but we just go with her. But I mean, he's a knight and presumably stationed in the city, even if he's out at the moment. Both the party members are friends with him so he's probably around quite a bit. We can't just wait for him to come back? Instead we decide to go fight our way across monster-infested wilderness and visit like 3 towns, a cursed forest and a dungeon? This situation is not equivalent to chasing Sephiroth. I would probably quit after he wasn't at the first town. "We're putting ourselves in more danger than it's worth, he can take care of himself and should be back soon."

And this water situation, IIRC the people in town tried to say that they'd be ok, we establish that these things can be repaired/replaced and everyone pooled their money once to get this mage to look at it, can't they do that again with what Yuri stole back and left in the inn? And I remember someone in the mid-level of town saying "oh that's a shame, take some of our water down to low town." There was a general air of "ehhh we'll get it sorted out, you don't have to go on a quest." Maybe I misread it though. Even so, fixing the water supply isn't exactly a compelling quest unless you're Fallout 1.

There are no feuding factions, kingdoms at war, elf/dwarf racism. The problem in the world is monsters, the kind that are in every RPG. And there are knights and guilds and wards that seem to deal with them well enough. So I'm not feeling much sense of motivation at all, everything is falling flat. Fixing a leaky faucet and going to talk to a friend are things I do IRL.

On another note at the point of the story I'm at, I find myself annoyed again at Japanese game tendencies to refuse to have the characters simply talk through their problems and settle things in like 5 minutes. And I know if misunderstandings are solved in 5 minutes then you have no game, but that's why you write conflicts that aren't solvable within 5 minutes of discussion.

Specifically I reached Aspio and
    found Mordio and accused her of stealing the blastia (without reiterating where it happened and the circumstances surrounding the theft), and she said "what, I'm no thief" (without ASKING for the above information surrounding this accusation), and my party was like "well she's short and wears a cloak and is sketchy, that's evidence enough" (it's not), and she said something like "wait hmm I have an idea, come to the ruins with me" (again without asking the party for more info, nor explaining why we should go to these ruins).

It's just so frustrating. Step 1 is ask "are you the Mordio who was hired by Zaphias low town to fix our water, if so did you actually come, if so what was your diagnosis, and did you take the blastia." I am thinking of like 500 ways this could've gone. Like she's RITA Mordio and we're thinking of her nasty uncle Fred Mordio. Or she was hired but couldn't make it and another mage must've gotten wind and impersonated her. And even then, after you've had this completely logical discussion, Yuri doesn't have to believe her! That's when you go to the ruins with her so she can clear her name.

And when this girl you think is a thief says "come to the ruins" you don't take a non-answer for an answer, you say "no seriously you are going to tell us why you think us going with you is going to clear your name. Someone's there who will say 'she was with me the whole time,' or what?"

Rita also said something like "give him back" and the party was incredulous but didn't bother to ask what the hell she meant by that.

Just...freakin talk.

In spite of all this I am still playing the game, because the others earned my trust that eventually something interesting will happen, and it's fun enough to just play the battle system anyway, with decent presentation and mechanics. I don't hate it. But I'm annoyed.

UncleSporky on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you want a Tales where the characters react like you want in those spoilers, I cannot recommend Berseria enough to you.

Madican wrote: »
    If you want a Tales where the characters react like you want in those spoilers, I cannot recommend Berseria enough to you.

It shouldn't even be notable in the first place, that you have to be like "here is a game where people actually converse like human beings." I've just had way more than my limit of this stuff. Sorry I was just reminded again of Bravely Default in another thread and how central plot things revolve around the fact that characters won't just ask each other questions and/or offer a one sentence explanation.

So many JRPGs like to try to build tension or set up mysteries based on absolutely nothing. They just did it again in Vesperia. Estelle used a healing arte and Rita was like "wait, what did you do, that's..." and Estelle was like "huh?" and that's the end of it. THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MYSTERY. THIS IS PEOPLE REFUSING TO DISCUSS A THING FOR ZERO REASON. Because guess what, I guarantee you this matters for some reason, maybe no one in this world can use healing artes and the people who do are espers from another plane of existence or something. And by the time that comes up it'll be too late and the villain will have kidnapped her to drain her esper powers, all because two people didn't bother to have a short conversation. This is every Japanese game.

"[plot-critical realization]" "Huh, what did you say?" "O-oh, it's nothing, main character."

I finally figured out how to do the cooking, yeah you have to manually set up shortcuts.

This game is reeeeeeally hard to care about in the opening hours. For many hours.

The two Tales I played before were Symphonia and Abyss.

At the start of Symphonia you learn you are leaving on a quest to regenerate the world, pretty standard RPG stuff. You go through some drama too to impress upon you how important the quest is and to show some of the faction-based problems in the world. If it's a bit bland, at least you get motivation to keep going as mysteries are introduced and before too long crazy revelations happen that keep you invested.

At the start of Abyss, a mysterious girl attacks you and your swordmaster, and somehow you (as a sheltered helpless noble) end up teleported along with the girl hundreds of miles away deep in enemy territory. Whatever events happen next, there's a context to everything you're doing as part of the journey home. And of course things happen along the way that introduce complications and changes of plans.

At the start of Vesperia, someone breaks the water supply of your home district, so you're sort of chasing them down, in addition to trying to find your friend so a girl can talk to him? We don't really know what she has to say or why but we just go with her. But I mean, he's a knight and presumably stationed in the city, even if he's out at the moment. Both the party members are friends with him so he's probably around quite a bit. We can't just wait for him to come back? Instead we decide to go fight our way across monster-infested wilderness and visit like 3 towns, a cursed forest and a dungeon? This situation is not equivalent to chasing Sephiroth. I would probably quit after he wasn't at the first town. "We're putting ourselves in more danger than it's worth, he can take care of himself and should be back soon."

And this water situation, IIRC the people in town tried to say that they'd be ok, we establish that these things can be repaired/replaced and everyone pooled their money once to get this mage to look at it, can't they do that again with what Yuri stole back and left in the inn? And I remember someone in the mid-level of town saying "oh that's a shame, take some of our water down to low town." There was a general air of "ehhh we'll get it sorted out, you don't have to go on a quest." Maybe I misread it though. Even so, fixing the water supply isn't exactly a compelling quest unless you're Fallout 1.

There are no feuding factions, kingdoms at war, elf/dwarf racism. The problem in the world is monsters, the kind that are in every RPG. And there are knights and guilds and wards that seem to deal with them well enough. So I'm not feeling much sense of motivation at all, everything is falling flat. Fixing a leaky faucet and going to talk to a friend are things I do IRL.

On another note at the point of the story I'm at, I find myself annoyed again at Japanese game tendencies to refuse to have the characters simply talk through their problems and settle things in like 5 minutes. And I know if misunderstandings are solved in 5 minutes then you have no game, but that's why you write conflicts that aren't solvable within 5 minutes of discussion.

Specifically I reached Aspio and
    found Mordio and accused her of stealing the blastia (without reiterating where it happened and the circumstances surrounding the theft), and she said "what, I'm no thief" (without ASKING for the above information surrounding this accusation), and my party was like "well she's short and wears a cloak and is sketchy, that's evidence enough" (it's not), and she said something like "wait hmm I have an idea, come to the ruins with me" (again without asking the party for more info, nor explaining why we should go to these ruins).

It's just so frustrating. Step 1 is ask "are you the Mordio who was hired by Zaphias low town to fix our water, if so did you actually come, if so what was your diagnosis, and did you take the blastia." I am thinking of like 500 ways this could've gone. Like she's RITA Mordio and we're thinking of her nasty uncle Fred Mordio. Or she was hired but couldn't make it and another mage must've gotten wind and impersonated her. And even then, after you've had this completely logical discussion, Yuri doesn't have to believe her! That's when you go to the ruins with her so she can clear her name.

And when this girl you think is a thief says "come to the ruins" you don't take a non-answer for an answer, you say "no seriously you are going to tell us why you think us going with you is going to clear your name. Someone's there who will say 'she was with me the whole time,' or what?"

Rita also said something like "give him back" and the party was incredulous but didn't bother to ask what the hell she meant by that.

Just...freakin talk.

In spite of all this I am still playing the game, because the others earned my trust that eventually something interesting will happen, and it's fun enough to just play the battle system anyway, with decent presentation and mechanics. I don't hate it. But I'm annoyed.

So, just to break this down...
    Estelle is in a hurry because the issue is assassins. Like the one that jumps you. And is very explicit about this, so I'm not sure how you missed it. But "warn friend assassins are after him" is a decent opening plot hook to get people to go from point A to point B, especially since you're tacking on "also go fetch very valuable stolen item".

The repair isn't to the core, it's to the control stuff around it. The cores are the valuable part. Also mentioned in game. And since the Empire manages the things, the nobles run the show, and are SUPER classist, replacing the core is at the bottom of the priority list, behind such things as "take a nap" and "take another nap".

As for Aspio... you're suggesting a behavior pattern that is, all things considered, not normal. Doubly so when the character doing the questioning is already impulsive. And a name and description like that would be plenty for cops to start questioning someone in real life (and especially when everyone's reaction to the name is a particular individual), it's hardly unreasonable for him to jump to conclusions there.