As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    If anyone is going to target any time soon and doesn't have NSMB2, it's on clearance for 9 bucks. Just picked mine up this morning. And it's been confirmed that price at a few stores around the country, so it doesn't appear to be a ymmv kind of thing except for whether or not they have it in stock.

Here's the brickseek link: https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=207-02-1401

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wow, what happened there? Titles like that never go on clearance.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • FremFrem Registered User regular

Sure they do. A Link Between Worlds was on a similar clearance (and subsequently hardish to find) for a few months before the Nintendo Selects branded version launched in the US.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think what's more surprising to me is that Target's clearance price was actually a good deal.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Sure they do. A Link Between Worlds was on a similar clearance (and subsequently hardish to find) for a few months before the Nintendo Selects branded version launched in the US.

Huh, never seem to hear about those online. They don't seem to get that treatment in favor of the Selects version here, either.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Dirty wrote: »
    I think what's more surprising to me is that Target's clearance price was actually a good deal.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. But all my best clearance deals on games have always come from Target. I've gotten plenty of Xbox and 3DS games that I've had my eye on for less than 10 dollars, often times around 5 dollars. And when they got rid of their vita games I made out really well and even picked up a couple psp games for my collection that they still had. I also picked up a 2DS for 30 bucks and this was even before they had cut the prices of them down to 80.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    I know clearance can vary from store to store, but at the store I work at, they're really terrible at marking games down. There's this period of limbo that the games go into, after they get discontinued, but before they go clearance. It can last for several months or even over a year. During that time, the games no longer get price cuts to match MSRP. So it it was $49.99 when it was discontinued, it stays there. When it finally goes clearance, the discount is taken from that price. I've seen games at 50% off that were still more expensive than MSRP elsewhere.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I guess Yo-Kai Watch Blasters is doing well, since it looks like Yo-Kai Watch 3 is coming next year.

https://nintendoeverything.com/yo-kai-watch-3-coming-to-north-america-february-8-europe-this-winter/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    This just in! Mario Maker, Majora's Mask, and Star Fox 3D are all $19.99 Nintendo Selects. If ya' don't own one, go treat yourself!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    But keep in mind, the 3DS port of Mario Maker is a complete disaster because there's no online community, only local stage sharing. Just another example of Nintendo impressively missing the point.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It has an exclusive single player campaign full of challenges that tops the entire NSBM line and you can still download recommended online courses from the Wii U. Its not an effective replacement for the Wii U version but at $20 it doesn't really have to be.

rahkeesh2000 on
    It has an exclusive single player campaign full of challenges that tops the entire NSBM line and you can still download recommended online courses from the Wii U. Its not an effective replacement for the Wii U version but at $20 it doesn't really have to be.

No one bought Mario Maker for a single player campaign though. That's like saying "oh it's fine that it doesn't have 50,000 player made stages... it has 50 stages from Nintendo!"

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh shit... I've never played Majora's Mask

Hmmm. Might have to dig out my 3DS.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Was Star Fox decent? Considering it for my 11yo on his birthday.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I mean, it’s an upgraded version of SF64, which largely considered to be the best game in the series. So yeah, it’s a safe buy.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Was Star Fox decent? Considering it for my 11yo on his birthday.

That was the remake of 64 right? That's the best Star Fox game and I think I remember people saying that it played and looked really good in the 3DS

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ok. I might be thinking of zero that came out on the wiiu. Cool. Birthday present done!

The 2DS is the best young kid device ever. I won't run out of games for it for a long time, but I may need to find and grab hardware and batteries to keep them running for a while yet. Simple, solid, and good battery life.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2019

No one bought Mario Maker for a single player campaign though. That's like saying "oh it's fine that it doesn't have 50,000 player made stages... it has 50 stages from Nintendo!"

They still should because its better campaign than the NSMB games and 95% of user levels.

You do still have access to 50,000 levels from the Wii U, you just have less search controls and have to deal with what is recommended.

I'm not making excuses for the downgrades, but its not like complaining is going to get Nintendo to ever update this game, and Mario Lovers shouldn't miss out on the campaign at this price just because other things are sub-ideal.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular

Considering you just sold me on it, I'd say you're wrong. I have zero interest in swimming through a swamp of player created content and am very interested in Nintendo's brand of well designed gameplay that's kept me a fan for thirty plus years.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    Litany wrote: »

Considering you just sold me on it, I'd say you're wrong. I have zero interest in swimming through a swamp of player created content and am very interested in Nintendo's brand of well designed gameplay that's kept me a fan for thirty plus years.

They keep calling it a campaign, but that's misleading. It's a grab bag of levels to demonstrate level design techniques. It's not the classic fire world, ice world, etc.

Also, not being interested in player designed content in a level editor game means you're just not interested. Come on now.

• LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    Your comment was "no one bought Mario Maker for a single player campaign though." You're absolutely right that I had so little interest that I didn't even check to see if the 3DS version had designed levels in it. But it does, and thus I am certainly interested. Which brings us back to....

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
    I believe it could easily be rephrased as "most people wouldn't buy a 3DS Mario Maker without shareable online levels".

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I believe it could easily be rephrased as "most people wouldn't buy a 3DS Mario Maker without shareable online levels".

This is a less confrontational way to put it. I should have said it this way.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Persona Q2 has been rated in Australia, so it’s likely coming west this year.

https://nintendoeverything.com/persona-q2-new-cinema-labyrinth-rated-in-australia-likely-coming-west/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    But keep in mind, the 3DS port of Mario Maker is a complete disaster because there's no online community, only local stage sharing. Just another example of Nintendo impressively missing the point.

"Don't you guys have friends with the same device, game and schedule?"

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    95% of my fun with Mario Maker came simply from dicking around with the maker part. I didn't even share anything, mainly because I know full well that I'm in that percentile that says "90% of all user created content is shit". And since that applies to the online mode as well, I didn't really muck about much with it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    My favorite Mario Maker moments were playing around with the maker part, and also putting on one of those 100 Mario challenges and just hanging with a group of friends, pass the controller around every time you die.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Also, not being interested in player designed content in a level editor game means you're just not interested. Come on now.

I was never that interested in player designed content. I got it to design my own content. I played enough 100 Mario challenges to unlock a bunch of the other playable character skins and it confirmed my thoughts, the average person really doesn't understand how to make a Mario level. Not trying to be like, insulting, just realistic. In the easier challenges it's ridiculous how often I encountered very minor edits to the starting level template.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

I was never that interested in player designed content. I got it to design my own content. I played enough 100 Mario challenges to unlock a bunch of the other playable character skins and it confirmed my thoughts, the average person really doesn't understand how to make a Mario level. Not trying to be like, insulting, just realistic. In the easier challenges it's ridiculous how often I encountered very minor edits to the starting level template.

To be fair though, you were basically a Mario Maker celebrity though with all your auto-music levels. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

To be fair though, you were basically a Mario Maker celebrity though with all your auto-music levels. :)
    I liked the "vines on tracks" and the "airship" stages too.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hey, so a quick question, I have been running back through the old cadtlevania ds games and really dig the hi-res sprite style, aside from the megaman games and the wayforward stuff (I think I have shantae, thor, aliens infestation, and contra 4) are there any other ds or 3ds games in the same genre that use old school 3d sprites? (metroidvanias or megaman x/z style platformers preferred but zeldalikes or action rpgs would be cool too).

I know that style was declining at the time, but the castlevanias and megaman games look so good and smooth...

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'll always rep this game. Hard to find good video of it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3BriZtQVIE

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'll always rep this game. Hard to find good video of it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3BriZtQVIE

That does look pretty cool, I’ll add it to the list to keep an eye out for.

And this isn't quite the same, but I'll still recommend. I bought it for my friend but never got around to it myself. He said it was an isometric Metroid, which is how the video describes it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CllaAdSQA

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    And this isn't quite the same, but I'll still recommend. I bought it for my friend but never got around to it myself. He said it was an isometric Metroid, which is how the video describes it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CllaAdSQA

No that’s pretty much exactly what I’m looking for, I don’t mind top down vs side scroller, I just like the better-than-snes quality sprite work.

edited January 2019
    Hmm, trying to think of some others. Mine are all in a box somewhere. Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cutzo9kj9kE

And there's the Adventure Time game. It's...not that good, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    Lock's Quest was a criminally underrated DS title by THQ back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFO7QfA6Ek

It's a Tower Defense game that allows you do actively fight in the battles. Do you get on the front line to slow down enemy advances, attack enemies directly, or sit back and repair your walls and towers? Trick question, you gotta do all of it. :)

Tough to find on the DS, but they did release an HD version for PS4, XB1, and Steam. Shame it hasn't found it's way to the Switch yet, but I digress.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2019
    Hey, so a quick question, I have been running back through the old cadtlevania ds games and really dig the hi-res sprite style, aside from the megaman games and the wayforward stuff (I think I have shantae, thor, aliens infestation, and contra 4) are there any other ds or 3ds games in the same genre that use old school 3d sprites? (metroidvanias or megaman x/z style platformers preferred but zeldalikes or action rpgs would be cool too).

Did you mean 2D sprites?

Mighty Switch Force/2 are also by Wayforward, small but very good puzzle/platformers with bigger sprites than usual.

Azure Striker Gunvolt/2 are vastly better "Mega Man X" games than Mighty No. 9.

Shovel Knight, Bloodstained, and Blaster Master Zero are all awesome action platformers if you can deal with more NES era graphics. There's also an NES style gunvolt/mighty no 9. crossover that is good.

Edit: forgot Steamworld Dig/2, actual metroidvanias on the 3DS that are highly rated. Haven't played them much myself though.

rahkeesh2000 on

That's a mighty low bar.

Did you mean 2D sprites?

Mighty Switch Force/2 are also by Wayforward, small but very good puzzle/platformers with bigger sprites than usual.

Shovel Knight, Bloodstained, and Blaster Master Zero are all awesome action platformers if you can deal with more NES era graphics. There's also an NES style gunvolt/mighty no 9. crossover that is good.

Edit: forgot Steamworld Dig/2, actual metroidvanias on the 3DS that are highly rated. Haven't played them much myself though.

Yeah, actual 2d sprites.

Azure gunvolt looks great, I do see there’s a switch version though so I may go with that.