As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Rod Rosenstein is leaving.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rosenstein-expected-depart-doj-coming-weeks-attorney-general/story?id=60252611
    Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave his role in the coming weeks, multiple sources familiar with his plans told ABC News.

Rosenstein has communicated to President Donald Trump and White House officials his plan to depart the administration around the time William Barr, Trump's nominee for attorney general, would take office following a Senate confirmation.

Sources told ABC News Rosenstein wants to ensure a smooth transition to his successor and would accommodate the needs of Barr, should he be confirmed.

Rosenstein apparently had long been thinking he would serve about two years, and there was no indication that he was being forced out at this moment by the president.
    I can't wait for him to be replaced by even more of a stooge.

I dont buy it. It reads like an administration press release to me.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Rod Rosenstein is leaving.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rosenstein-expected-depart-doj-coming-weeks-attorney-general/story?id=60252611
    Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave his role in the coming weeks, multiple sources familiar with his plans told ABC News.

Rosenstein has communicated to President Donald Trump and White House officials his plan to depart the administration around the time William Barr, Trump's nominee for attorney general, would take office following a Senate confirmation.

Sources told ABC News Rosenstein wants to ensure a smooth transition to his successor and would accommodate the needs of Barr, should he be confirmed.

Rosenstein apparently had long been thinking he would serve about two years, and there was no indication that he was being forced out at this moment by the president.
    I can't wait for him to be replaced by even more of a stooge.

I dont buy it. It reads like an administration press release to me.

Back to watching what they do and discounting what they say...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    And in news about who WON'T be coming to dinner (or rejoining the campaign/administration), Chris Christie has finally realized he was never getting the tap, and has decided instead to cash out, burning that bridge behind him, writing a tell-all where you tear the President's son in law a new asshole for being a conniving little shit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/15/chris-christie-book-jared-kushner-accusations-hit-job?CMP=share_btn_tw

At least we can finally be done with the speculation of which governmental position Christie is being considered for, that everyone knows he won't get.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm kind of surprised it took this long for Christie to clue in that the administration wasn't going to take him seriously; he was the first to kiss the ring back in 2016, was perpetually ridiculed by trump, managed to get himself a job as head of the transition team (which he had to crowd fund because trump refused to spend money on it and then threw a bitch fit over because his greed led him to beleive he should get that money), and then saw all his effort go down the shitter because Jared ~Zero expierience in government~ Kushner couldn't get over how his father got busted by christie for the crime he comitted.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling he figured it out a long time ago, but he had to keep the charade going while he was writing the book. It could be because he is a slow writer, but I think it's because Trump and everyone else continued to be bad people so he kept getting more dirt for his book and he eventually just had to say enough and take it to a publisher.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I'd definitely agree with Christie's assessment of why he couldn't get a job in the administration (Kushner is petty.) Where I differ is that I don't think Christie would have been any better than Kushner.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'd definitely agree with Christie's assessment of why he couldn't get a job in the administration (Kushner is petty.) Where I differ is that I don't think Christie would have been any better than Kushner.

I don't think Kushner has the organizational ability to actually arrange for the traffic pattern on the bridge to be changed.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I think Christie, for all of his copious faults, would have been a better choice if only because he has non-zero government and executive experience and because he presumably understands that government is, like, important.

Of course that depends on Trump standing behind him and letting him do the job. Which wouldn’t have happened anyway. But in theory.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Christie's first real job for the trump administration was to find people who could fill the vast legion of appointments that needed to be done, which was pretty much ditched because of jared and then replaced with some of the most bizzare choices possible (if they even were) because of Jared kushner.

The best way to see whether he would have been better then Kushner in this regard then, would be to compare the overall efficency of his time as governor of NJ to how the white house has opperated for the past two years.

Which... I'm not an expert on Jersey politics but I can't imagine it being nearly as much of a shit show as the white house has been.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Christie's first real job for the trump administration was to find people who could fill the vast legion of appointments that needed to be done, which was pretty much ditched because of jared and then replaced with some of the most bizzare choices possible (if they even were) because of Jared kushner.

The best way to see whether he would have been better then Kushner in this regard then, would be to compare the overall efficency of his time as governor of NJ to how the white house has opperated for the past two years.

Which... I'm not an expert on Jersey politics but I can't imagine it being nearly as much of a shit show as the white house has been.

New Jersey has democratic majorities and both houses and anything Christie "accomplished" over those eight miserable years was done with aid from centrists/a couple DINOS.

Sandy recovery was mismanaged, he kicked the can down the road on major infrastructure issues that are going to bleed our economy bad and we were as socially regressive as possible for a blue state in the 2010s.

He sucked.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

New Jersey has democratic majorities and both houses and anything Christie "accomplished" over those eight miserable years was done with aid from centrists/a couple DINOS.

Sandy recovery was mismanaged, he kicked the can down the road on major infrastructure issues that are going to bleed our economy bad and we were as socially regressive as possible for a blue state in the 2010s.

He sucked.

He was vaguely competent at his job though. Like, he knew how to staff agencies and push his own policies and so on as far as anything I've heard about him. You know, all the stuff Trump's people can't even approach being even bad at.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

@Forar and I know a Jersian who'd probably disagree.

But that's because our (admittedly limited) exposure to Jersians is that they tend to be disagreeable assholes.

Yeah, Christie may have had his issues and controversies. But I can't imagine a government running as badly as this one... *checks shutdown clock* Oh, nevermind. This one ain't running.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Remember that he literally shut down a bridge out of spite because a mayor didn't endorse him. Christie is Trump is Bush is Reagan is Snyder is Walker.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Remember that he literally shut down a bridge out of spite because a mayor didn't endorse him. Christie is Trump is Bush is Reagan is Snyder is Walker.

And had his top staffers take notes on that conspiracy.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

He sucked.

He was vaguely competent at his job though. Like, he knew how to staff agencies and push his own policies and so on as far as anything I've heard about him. You know, all the stuff Trump's people can't even approach being even bad at.

Your bar for competency sure is something.

• Options

He sucked.

I mean have you read this thread?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Considering that the current bar can only be measured in fucking Planck distance, it’s easy for anyone to blunder over it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

He sucked.

I mean have you read this thread?

Just read about his time during the transition before Kushner forced him out. He was the most competent member of Trump's staff. He actually wanted to staff things! Christie, unlike all the rest of these morons, seemed to actually know how an administration was supposed to function.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Trump admin doesn’t have a bad staff because they’re bad at staffing, they have a bad staff because their reputation and work enviroment is such that any sane or competent or non-corrupt Republicans wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole. Christie would have largely ended up hiring the same gaggle of third tier chucklefucks because that was the labor pool they had to work with.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Trump admin doesn’t have a bad staff because they’re bad at staffing, they have a bad staff because their reputation and work enviroment is such that any sane or competent or non-corrupt Republicans wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole. Christie would have largely ended up hiring the same gaggle of third tier chucklefucks because that was the labor pool they had to work with.

It's not either or. They are too incompetent to focus on staffing a lot of positions.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can't find the story, but there was something detailing their preparation to staff various departments, ie; they didn't.
    Christie was at least trying to hire people but that costs money, which was obviously Trumps money because that's how it works, so he was kicked out and by a complete coincidence Trumps hotel was paid an awful lot of money while entire offices were unstaffed or just had people show up not knowing what they were supposed to do.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christie didn't kick the can on a major infrastructure project

he destroyed it and stole the money

• Options
    edited January 2019
    klemming wrote: »
    I can't find the story, but there was something detailing their preparation to staff various departments, ie; they didn't.
    Christie was at least trying to hire people but that costs money, which was obviously Trumps money because that's how it works, so he was kicked out and by a complete coincidence Trumps hotel was paid an awful lot of money while entire offices were unstaffed or just had people show up not knowing what they were supposed to do.

Michael Lewis wrote a book about it, The Fifth Risk. I recommend it. It’s short, and interesting, and goes into how it wasn’t just a matter of nobody wanting to work for Trump...you can find mid level people whose name won’t be associated with the President and want to serve the country...it was the fact that they never actually made any effort to generate a smooth transition. They didn’t meet with current officials, not before the election and not *after* it either.

It also has tornadoes.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

And Trump shut down the government for a month and counting, operates his entire presidency as a grift machine, and is a literal Russian agent.

Nobody is saying Christie is a good guy, or was a good governor. But from what I’ve read (see above) he actually understands that you have to fill all the management positions in an organization, AND have those people meet their counterparts before the transition happens.

He’s a fat bag of asshole wrapped around a core of basic pseudo-competency. Which is better than Trump (he lacks the candy center) or Kushner (who seems to be a literal empty bag).

Nobody here is throwing a “Christie is awesome” party. There does exist one small aspect in which his presence could conceivably have improved things, had he been allowed to do his job. That’s not saying much, because it’s only being compared to this timeline, which is the worst possible timeline imaginable. But it is something.

mcdermott on
  • Options

Whenever we finally complete a new Hudson tunnel, after one of the current ones fail and causes a statewide economic contraction I mean, I want to fundraise for a bronze statue of that asshole dressed as a clown. Place it right outside the Jersey side entrance.

Fat sad clown or Todd MacFarlane style dumpster clown will be left to a popular vote.

• Options

Whenever we finally complete a new Hudson tunnel, after one of the current ones fail and causes a statewide economic contraction I mean, I want to fundraise for a bronze statue of that asshole dressed as a clown. Place it right outside the Jersey side entrance.

Fat sad clown or Todd MacFarlane style dumpster clown will be left to a popular vote.

Put drains underneath the statue to encourage it's use as a street urinal.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    HUD losing its second in command. Oh and Trump specifically did not want Puerto Rico to get any disaster relief at all.
    A top Department of Housing and Urban Development official is leaving the agency Thursday following disagreements with other members of the Trump administration over housing policy and the White House’s attempt to block disaster-recovery money for Puerto Rico, according to five people with direct knowledge of the situation.

Deputy Secretary Pam Patenaude, second-in-command at the agency helmed by Ben Carson and widely regarded as HUD’s most capable political leader, is said to have grown frustrated by what a former HUD employee described as a “Sisyphean undertaking.”
    Last fall, Patenaude expressed concern over the Trump administration’s intervention in disaster-recovery money that Congress had appropriated for Puerto Rico and states hit by hurricanes.

President Trump in late September grew incensed after hearing, erroneously, that Puerto Rico was using the emergency money to pay off its debt, according to two people with direct knowledge of Trump’s thinking.

Trump told then-White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and then-Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney that he did not want a single dollar going to Puerto Rico, because he thought the island was misusing the money and taking advantage of the government, according to a person with direct knowledge of the discussions who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive internal deliberations. Instead, he wanted more of the money to go to Texas and Florida, the person said.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why would he think Texas and Florida wouldn't misu- Oh, right.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    https://splinternews.com/youll-never-guess-whos-running-the-white-house-now-1831802157

Splinter is a Gizmodo group news site run by mostly former Gawker writers

According to Splinter News, acting Chief of Staff Mulvaney is letting Kushner and Ivanka bypass him and go directly to the President whenever they feel like it. Reminds me a lot of when you get 'promoted' to a job you don't actually want and aren't good at, so you kinda fuck up on purpose in order to try to get back to your old less stressful job. Except Trump probably thinks this is great and wishes all his other CoS's had let his kids run over them. Mulvaney is basically George Costanza-ing this promotion.

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    https://splinternews.com/youll-never-guess-whos-running-the-white-house-now-1831802157

Splinter is a Gizmodo group news site run by mostly former Gawker writers

According to Splinter News, acting Chief of Staff Mulvaney is letting Kushner and Ivanka bypass him and go directly to the President whenever they feel like it. Reminds me a lot of when you get 'promoted' to a job you don't actually want and aren't good at, so you kinda fuck up on purpose in order to try to get back to your old less stressful job. Except Trump probably thinks this is great and wishes all his other CoS's had let his kids run over them. Mulvaney is basically George Costanza-ing this promotion.

A big part of Kelly "cleaning up" the White House was putting his foot down about who got to see Trump. Cause before that people would just wander in and get him all worked up over shit or slip papers onto his desk to make him obsess about this or that. It was a major hassle for Kelly and I think a source of friction with Trump. Certainly a source of friction with everyone else in Trump's orbit who was trying to influence him.

Mulvaney never wanted this job. It's likely he just doesn't care to bother. Why makes enemies when you don't have to?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Mulvaney never wanted this job. It's likely he just doesn't care to bother. Why makes enemies when you don't have to?

He's still going to get thrown under the bus. That's why no one wanted the job. It's not just a thankless job, but one that will lead inevitably to being backstabbed and discarded.

I'm unsure if Mulvaney is genuinely stupid enough that he thinks he'll be the one that doesn't get hurt (like the third wife of a philanderer who constantly throws out the old wife for a new model), if he was too cowardly to say no, or if he was just the slowest at "not it."

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Trump wanted to completely deny disaster relief to PR? What a colossal asshole, no wonder it took like a week for the hospital ship to get there.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

He's still going to get thrown under the bus. That's why no one wanted the job. It's not just a thankless job, but one that will lead inevitably to being backstabbed and discarded.

I'm unsure if Mulvaney is genuinely stupid enough that he thinks he'll be the one that doesn't get hurt (like the third wife of a philanderer who constantly throws out the old wife for a new model), if he was too cowardly to say no, or if he was just the slowest at "not it."

His position is temporary last we heard. I'm pretty sure rumours said that was on his request since he doesn't actually want the job. When they couldn't get the person they actually wanted to agree I think they just forced him into it and promised it wouldn't be permanent.

And if Mulvaney just basically doesn't bother to try and control the situation at all he might actually avoid getting discarded or backstabbed.

• Options
    Mulvaney was a Tea Party Congressman from a rural South Carolina district, not some DC power player with a storied career. He was nothing before Trump decided he was a good boy and gave him a cabinet spot.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I thought it was common knowledge that Mulvaney in fact got the job because he didn’t give a shit and that’s exactly what Trump wanted

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/20/politics/mike-pompeo-kansas-senate/index.html

According to CNN, Pompeo is considering running for Senate in Kansas, which means Trump would lose him as Secretary of State. Pompeo seems reasonably competent and well liked by Trump, so it might be telling that he's eyeing the door.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

According to CNN, Pompeo is considering running for Senate in Kansas, which means Trump would lose him as Secretary of State. Pompeo seems reasonably competent and well liked by Trump, so it might be telling that he's eyeing the door.

Would he need to leave his post immediately as part of announcing a run? Or is it like other political positions where you can do both things at once?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Would he need to leave his post immediately as part of announcing a run? Or is it like other political positions where you can do both things at once?

I think he would resign, but probably wouldn't need to until summer 2020 or something like that when he actually had to announce. Of course he could resign way earlier and not have to work for Donald Trump, so I wouldn't blame him. IDK, I can't really remember the last time a cabinet member left to run for election like this.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Trump wanted to completely deny disaster relief to PR? What a colossal asshole, no wonder it took like a week for the hospital ship to get there.

The story's talking about the situation since last fall. Trump probably didn't want them to get money in 2017, either, but I don't think we have explicit evidence of that.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Pompeo hasn’t done anything to fix the staffing damage Tillerson and Trump wrought on State.

He seems competent because he’s avoided scandal. He’s only in the headlines when he’s following Trump into a diplomatic mess trying to clarify wtf that orange fucker said.

Pompeo is a frothing right wing loon

Captain Inertia on
This discussion has been closed.