As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Jookie That's horrifying and it's scoured into my eyes. I BLAME YOU.
    If you expect me to feel even remotely bad boy do I have news for you.

unknown.png?width=832&height=468
    I caught parts of this run leading up to this and after for the heart (it won). I guess it doesn't matter how much damage you take when you can hold Reapers and scale up via Spot Weakness and Limit Break and then heal to full every single turn.

butts
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The new daily is a fun one, but I made the mistake of jumping into the portal that skips you to the final boss and only got to the Awakened Form before dying due to lack of DPS.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    12133FD6980602B4EC7BB738EE24F868E9882BFB
    SON OF A BITCH I'VE DONE IT AGAIN.

butts
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Double post - I actually won.
    I haven't won yet but I've won. I accidentally set up a double Hologram loop with two Madness and I have the Letter Opener relic so it's a done deal at this point.

It's also going to take me the better part of ten minutes because I don't have the 999 block achievement yet so I'm sitting here like this until I get the fucking thing.
    9FB5235F4A2E1F3EA2602313EB45DBE25FF2222E

Edit - I bought an artifact potion a fair deal before the fights because I had assumed I would need to use one on at least one of the bosses (Time Eater into Awakened One) to get a solid block cycle going until I drew through powers and had the energy to play everything.

No, instead I deleted the Time Eater with back to back Thunder Strikes and then angrily blocked the Awakened One to death twice.
    4CD2E4FD4DA682136002FE3491F480E405856F51

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'm getting better at understanding how to value cards and what kinds of playstyles the game rewards. Beat it with Ironclad with a very focused deck, so I've beaten it with all three classes now. Never rested once. Always forged.

vfi3bva9e8cg.jpg

• Options
    Beat it with Ironclad on Ascension 1 and unlocked his third round of unlocks, which included...some cards I already had during the run? ("Note: Cards unlocked show up in future runs," it says.)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Beat the heart with the Ironclad using a snecko deck with 3 immolates and 3 battle trance. I'd use battle trance whenever it was cheap enough just to get some possible 0 cost cards. Fought the bird boss and killed both of the little birds with a double tap immolate turn 1. I also beat the pre-heart fight in 3 turns without taking damage. My card draw was insane with the spoon as well.

BJRPcFo.jpg

MqCfPnx.png

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I'm still a slowpoke, but now I've "won" with all 3.

2io4faabdsl9.jpg

I was all dejected because I thought I'd lost at the last moment. I only had 8hp against Time Eater's 9x3 attack, only 1 defend, and a hand full of not quite enough damage... 74 including poison against 78 health. 1 turn away from poison finishing the job. 1 turn away from Happy Flower's extra energy. 1 turn away...
    !!!dbyljxpoa4se.jpg

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Does The Bomb apply a debuff to enemies or to yourself?

butts
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I believe it's a buff to yourself.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    That's what I remembered.

I also remember setting it off instantly through Orange Pellets because of that. Am I a dumbo or no?

butts
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hmm... Interesting. I admit I have never taken Bomb and so I don't have first-hand experience with that interaction. That's cool!

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Is preserved insect that makes elites tiny?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Yes, it reduces their HP by 25% at the start of the fight and shrinks 'em a bit for fun.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kime wrote: »

Yes, it reduces their HP by 25% at the start of the fight and shrinks 'em a bit for fun.
    I noticed I was fighting a tiny looking Gremlin Nob yesterday and thought I was crazy. Guess not!
    Hmm... Interesting. I admit I have never taken Bomb and so I don't have first-hand experience with that interaction. That's cool!
    I never willingly take it but I'd be curious to see how it plays out. I remember it happening in a daily run but that was a run with a bunch of grey cards and having a bunch of the card that plays the top card of your deck so I might have just had five bombs set up.

It also had dual played Echo Form going so the first six cards played against Time Eater I had almost zero agency over.

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    I think the act 4 content has completely killed my enthusiasm for the game, unfortunately. :( Really wish I could turn it off somehow.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    You can just ignore Act 4, it's not required in any way. The only effect on Act1-3 is the empowered elite.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Yeah, acts 1-3 are the game, act 4 is just a fun little thing to do if you happened to get an absurdly powerful deck.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I know. I still resent even having to deal with that. I realize this isn’t a logical reaction, but I just don’t have any enthusiasm for the save file I have in it’s current state.

edit: The thought of doing 60 more successful Asc runs so that I can run “Asc 20 heartless” mode with all classes is also completely unappealing.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    I think you can already do that in a custom game?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I do custom games all the time. Keeps things fresh. I like draft and the other one. I'm still trying to climb ascension though, but i like to do other stuff. The game has a lot of variables to keep things moving.

In other news, it's hilarious how bad I am at the Silent.

• Options
    You can disable Act 4 content by doing custom games? Sweet! Thank you! :heartbeat:

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    I do custom games all the time. Keeps things fresh. I like draft and the other one. I'm still trying to climb ascension though, but i like to do other stuff. The game has a lot of variables to keep things moving.

In other news, it's hilarious how bad I am at the Silent.

Immediately after this post I managed to be A8 with silent, a major roadblock for me. Don't let anyone tell you complaining doesn't work!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'd never actually looked at custom game before, so decided "Eh, sure, I've got a solid lunch break."
    Just enabled sealed with Defect and figured I'd have some fun. The opening cards had 3x Defragment and 3x Claw, so I figured ...

Anyway, this was my deck at the end of the run. I was right. It was fun.
    v1rrm8zfpklj.png

• Options
    Thinking about it more, I think my issue with Act 4 stuff is that I only unlocked it at Asc 20. If it had been a reality of play since Asc 0, I think I’d be less frustrated by it. ...so maybe I will actually start from scratch again, and see how I feel...

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    What are some of the up-to-date guides you all like? I'm enjoying this game but feel like if I don't get certain cards on certain runs then I'm just screwed. Would like to read up on other build combos that work but some of the steam guides seem out of date.

Specifically, I tend to lock into the following:
    Ironclad: barricade (or a series of other block heavy cards) or demon form
    Silent: noxious fumes
    Defect: focus increases and massive channeling

I know there's a whole style out there of scraping for 0 energy cards or building more "engine" into your deck, and I generally succeed at keeping my hands smaller than 25 cards (usually around 20 or so) but I find myself.... just not winning if I don't luck into those few builds.
    Thoughts on where to go to git gud?

• Options
    Thinking about it more, I think my issue with Act 4 stuff is that I only unlocked it at Asc 20. If it had been a reality of play since Asc 0, I think I’d be less frustrated by it. ...so maybe I will actually start from scratch again, and see how I feel...

I don't have high Asc on any character but 1 seems to be optimal. It has a lot of elites so you can get a hefty stack of relics, but it's also not so hard that you kill a lot of your runs before your decks get good.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    What are some of the up-to-date guides you all like? I'm enjoying this game but feel like if I don't get certain cards on certain runs then I'm just screwed. Would like to read up on other build combos that work but some of the steam guides seem out of date.

I know there's a whole style out there of scraping for 0 energy cards or building more "engine" into your deck, and I generally succeed at keeping my hands smaller than 25 cards (usually around 20 or so) but I find myself.... just not winning if I don't luck into those few builds.

I'm sure the fine folks here can give you all the info you can handle. Let's do it boys and girls!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    @Massena I recommend checking out some of the Spire Side chats that Joinrbs has on his channel. Specifically look for the card focused ones, and you should come away with some new ways to think about the specific card he covered, as well as other cards that are similar that you might have already formed ideas about.
    TheStig wrote: »

I don't have high Asc on any character but 1 seems to be optimal. It has a lot of elites so you can get a hefty stack of relics, but it's also not so hard that you kill a lot of your runs before your decks get good.

I think I'll drop down to 10 for a while and then bump up again slowly from there. See if I feel any different. If not, there's always the custom runs.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    I always go for Poison in Silent. You don't always get Noxious Fumes, but it's nice if you can. There are enough other Poison cards that it's a pretty consistent build. Catalyst is what makes runs easy if you can get any of those. You could also go for something like Shivs, or even discard I guess. Those are (for me) a lot less consistent than just doing Poison. But they are fun sometimes just to goof around.

Defect, you just want Orbs and Powers. There are many good powers for the Defect (often with Orb synergy), and you want to be able to safely auto-generate like 50 block and 20 damage each turn or something like that. Like you mentioned, there's a 0-cost/Scrape/All-For-One type of deck, or Claw (which is slightly different), but they're a lot less consistent than just Orbs and Powers for me. Don't worry about the Awakened One either, you'll generally easily outpace his scaling.

Ironclad is the hardest for me. Block/Barricade is fun, but honestly it's so hard to get the right cards for it that I have a lot of trouble with it. And the deck seems really bad until you get all the pieces. Like you mentioned, Demon Form can make a deck by itself. Get Demon Form, a bunch of block, and 1-2 Attacks that scale well with strength. gg! You don't need Demon Form, though, there are other ways to scale strength. Generally it will revolve around Limit Break (without that it's too slow to rely on completely). Get any relic or card to give you Strength, then Limit Break it a few times. It is easier than Demon Form (as it's 1 mana only), and scale faster eventually, but is a bit slower the first little bit. Ironclad can also go into an Exhaust build, which honestly is probably the strongest and most consistent. The dream is something like Dead Branch + Corruption, but Corruption is good on it's own, and there's a lot of other Exhaust synergy too with other cards.

Steam profile
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    kime wrote: »
    I always go for Poison in Silent. You don't always get Noxious Fumes, but it's nice if you can. There are enough other Poison cards that it's a pretty consistent build. Catalyst is what makes runs easy if you can get any of those. You could also go for something like Shivs, or even discard I guess. Those are (for me) a lot less consistent than just doing Poison. But they are fun sometimes just to goof around.

Defect, you just want Orbs and Powers. There are many good powers for the Defect (often with Orb synergy), and you want to be able to safely auto-generate like 50 block and 20 damage each turn or something like that. Like you mentioned, there's a 0-cost/Scrape/All-For-One type of deck, or Claw (which is slightly different), but they're a lot less consistent than just Orbs and Powers for me. Don't worry about the Awakened One either, you'll generally easily outpace his scaling.

Ironclad is the hardest for me. Block/Barricade is fun, but honestly it's so hard to get the right cards for it that I have a lot of trouble with it. And the deck seems really bad until you get all the pieces. Like you mentioned, Demon Form can make a deck by itself. Get Demon Form, a bunch of block, and 1-2 Attacks that scale well with strength. gg! You don't need Demon Form, though, there are other ways to scale strength. Generally it will revolve around Limit Break (without that it's too slow to rely on completely). Get any relic or card to give you Strength, then Limit Break it a few times. It is easier than Demon Form (as it's 1 mana only), and scale faster eventually, but is a bit slower the first little bit. Ironclad can also go into an Exhaust build, which honestly is probably the strongest and most consistent. The dream is something like Dead Branch + Corruption, but Corruption is good on it's own, and there's a lot of other Exhaust synergy too with other cards.

AfO got hit kind of hard by the loss of Mind Blast at 0 and the addition of a bunch more relics.

It's incomprehensible to me that anyone could have trouble with Ironclad! Basically you need any of its reliably good attacks (Immolate, Whirlwind, or Bludgeon will nearly always work out if you get a little help on energy relics), strong blocks, and some Exhaust cards to clear out the trash you can't remove permanently through events / the shop.

Weaken is a potentially-strong Silent buy-in as well, but it relies on the same general mechanics as Poison (big block, grinding things down).

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Went infinite for the first time!

On Ironclad:
    Shrug It Off
    Deep Breath+
    Sundial
    Runic Pyramid

Pretty simple recipe! I haven't looked any of them up. Could do it without Runic Pyramid if your deck was 7 cards

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Massena wrote: »

I'm sure the fine folks here can give you all the info you can handle. Let's do it boys and girls!

Okay, so, one: Look up Joinrbs on youtube/twitch. He's a huge help to understanding this game.

Beyond that, one thing a lot of guides get wrong is you cannot just say "This is a good card, this is a bad card". Every card has a role - some cards are MUCH more generally applicable. As much as i've say, grumped at say Accuracy before, there's still times when it would be a really good card for my deck - it's just a very narrow card. Conversely, it's very, very rare that Footwork will ever be a bad card... but if i'm spamming intangibility and have oricalcum/tough bandages/ornamental fan or something... Is it actually doing that much for me? So on and so forth.

Really, the best way to look at things tends to be "How do i get past the next floor". So by way of example, if you're in act 2 and about to fight an elite - What can your deck do that will let you beat Tri Slavers? What about Gremlin Leader? Book of Stabbing?

So if you're ironclad, you might say "I can guarantee i draw whirlwind turn one, i've got bag of marbles, and i've been holding this steroid pot". Boom, that's a solution. Or you might be silent and say "I've got kunai and i can make shivs like crazy, so my block should out-scale anything they can do and grind them down". So on and so forth.

Maybe you can beat 2/3 of these, but you know you die to one of them. Do you still take the fight, or do you route differently? Or, can you win, but you'll expend so many resources you die on the next floor?

So a lot of getting good at the game is identifying what your deck can do well, what it cant do well, and thus what you can take on to make it better.

I hope that helps! If you want more specifics, free to ask after specific cards, or go "So what's the purpose of this" etcera.

Edit: Worth noting i play A20 exsclusviely, so my opinions etc are always going to come from "I am doing the hardest things the game can throw at you" approach. Keep this in mind when i'm mentioning stuff!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @Massena a couple of other points while i think of them:

1: Dont be afraid of variance. Sometimes the best way to win run is to lean into high risk, high reward situations - i've taken elites on 1 hp, because i knew my deck needed power... and i was probably going to die on the next floor anyway. Then I've won the run, because the gamble paid off. (Worth noting: Elites are the best value/floor you can get. Not only do they give a good amount of gold and a relic, but they have a much higher chance to drop rare cards - possibly uncommons. Both of which are way stronker. Rares are often run-defining, or amazing silver bullets - Corpse Explosion or Electrodynamics are both examples of this.)

2: Dont be afraid to loose. I loose more than i win, and the nature of the game is it's often streaky. sometimes i'll stomp with all three characters, soemtiems my win/loss log is a trail of corpses. It's okay to loose. Hell, the are times i get killed a few floors into act 1 - sometimes shit goes wrong. Embrace it!

By the same token: You only need enough power to win the run, not crush the run. It's very easy to get trapped into going for "I MUST BE AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE". A win against the act 3 boss on 1 hp is as good as a win on full hp, if you're just looking to clear the game. (Different if you want to do act 4, ofc)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I second looking up Joinrbs (he also streams on Twitch). All around really cool, mellow guy.

Even just looking at a handful of his videos and listening to his thought process on evaluation helped me out significantly. I severely undervalued card draw as an example and how powerful Runic Pyramid can be when you've built a deck capable of doing Things.

One example of such was him having taking two Sunders early on. I missed most of the run after the first boss but when I tuned back in to the end of the run he had a Thunder Strike with two Ball Lightnings and a Static Charge to fuel it, Runic Pyramid, Glacier (maybe two?), and an upgraded Enlightenment. I don't know the exact thought process he went through other than "Sunder is okay right now" since I missed most of it but it was a somewhat weak deck. Still, managed to get up to the Act IV elite before dying.

He's also put up runs on Youtube called Overexplained where he takes three hours roughly to explain a run in very large detail so you can sponge a wealth of information from there. The other sets of videos he does are called Spireside Chats and are much shorter and aimed at one or two ideas but let's be real here that's a fantastic name worth looking into alone.

butts
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I fucking did it.

A20 heart kill.

Defect. Totally broken deck.
    f50f2xv4kefz.jpg
    Frost core and loader and consume and calipers. AND mummified hand AND bird statue.

Then for the cherry on top. The heart's elite dropped me Ice cream, because fairness isn't something you can have when you're beating the heart.

BSoB on
  • Options
    My first time against the heart
    4nubawkpa3gh.jpg

I wasn't intending to go up against it but a lot of things came together for me and I decided to go for it. Final decklist:
    cq37m45ltbf2.jpg

Upgraded apparitions seem to be absurdly good.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Still trying to beat a normal run with the Orange guy and Green guy.

I think I need to get better at speccing out a build. I have a habit of trying to please too many masters and then having a shitty half built deck that does too many things and none of them well. High risk high reward really isn't my game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Still trying to beat a normal run with the Orange guy and Green guy.

I think I need to get better at speccing out a build. I have a habit of trying to please too many masters and then having a shitty half built deck that does too many things and none of them well. High risk high reward really isn't my game.

Just go Poison and Block for "The Green Guy." Upgrade Neutralize first probably.

Unless the enemy scales, don't take chip damage. Take an extra turn or more to Block fully if you need to before you can kill normal enemies

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah learning what the enemies do is pretty important. There aren’t very many of them.

I’ve had a lot of success building toward small synergistic decks. Granted I’m still at pretty low ascension levels, but it seems to me that unless you’re going for score, more often than not it’s correct to skip adding a card to your deck.