As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    It's funny that cyclone is one of the things that feels world's better on console solely due to its targeting limitations.

Carpy on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Aktn Bstrd wrote: »
    I have a buddy that plays D3 that I'm trying to convince to try PoE. He said he likes casters and whirlwind barbarians. I recommended Enki's Arc Witch and a Ngahamu's flame cyclone build. Any other builds you guys would recommend for a new player?

I was also going to recommend Engineering Eternity videos and Path of Building. Any other resources o think let him know about?

Also, do we still have room in the guild?

BV Elementalist. It can do all content and reach 100 (in SSFHC for that matter) and doesn't need anything to get started except for a pair of 1 alc gloves. It can also be easily converted into winter orb if one wants a change.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks for all of the advice. I'll let him know about the BV builds. I've never gamed with him before so I don't know his play styles. He said that he's started watching some videos of gameplay and is interested. I'll see what he's feeling

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    For the love of god though, try to steer them away from trying to do a flicker strike build as one of their first ones.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    New player? Whirlwind Cast on Crit Arc Cast on Melee Kill Blade Vortex

Become the meme

Whirlwind CoC BV sounds kind of amusing honestly

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

Become the meme

I had an amusing Tectonic Slam cast on melee kill Cremation scion going on Standard. Was very amusing against large packs of creatures but less useful on bosses. Could always weapon swap or just swap a couple gems out for single target damage.

(She/Her)
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm going cyclone/coc/vortex frostbolt with Cospri's after my loss to the Shaper (got to the third encounter with him on my first run through). Basically just a whirling mass of crit procs and cold DOT.

I've got the capability of killing him I'm just not in the mood rn, and I've got alt-itis.

One CoC on the 6l chest, 1 CoC on Cospris, and Frost Bomb on CWDT.

qs580x82fs4t.gif

jungleroomx on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I mean if you want relative safety first build full screen and boss kill just go ele hit rat totems. Can do MoM or ES relatively easy. It is less expensive now. Or Soulwrest necro. Easy end game. All you have to do is slot soulwrest and a offering and perhaps a bubonic trail. Everything after that is gravy.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If you really want to help make that D3 to poe transition easier you should buy your friend a currency tab

playing is so annoying without a currency tab

2x39jD4.jpg
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I wish I had more tabs. Starting to find room for leveling gear I want to hold on to, stuff I might use in the future/on different characters, stuff to trade, and now a chaos recipe tab is a lot.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I wish I had more tabs. Starting to find room for leveling gear I want to hold on to, stuff I might use in the future/on different characters, stuff to trade, and now a chaos recipe tab is a lot.

I have a 4X as a recipe tab, 3 stash tabs, 3 sale tabs (2 mass, 1 individually priced), a frag/curr/ess/map tab, a tab just for delve stuff, and a tab for qual skills/jewels/flasks.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why people are paying so much for beastiary orbs that have certain affixes? I mean i understand that you want certain red beasts so you can do the blood altar for that recipe. However why does it matter what stats are on the red or yellow beasts used in the offering?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited January 2019
    It shouldn't matter in the slightest what stats the beast has, the only thing that matters is what kind of beast it is

Rius on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    https://poe.ninja/challenge/rare-beasts

There is an obvious price difference however. I was wondering if it had something to do with the type of item you get from the blood altar? Like it needs a nemesis mod to spawn HH or something?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Item or boss spawn.

Farric Tiger Alpha is 4ex because that's the beast that opens the portal to Farrul's Lair. For some reason poe.ninja is listing seven Tigers at 4ex, but really it's just one actual listing for Red FTAs.

You can see the same thing if you filter for Crab, you'll see the red crab for 70c what opens the portal to Craicianns's Lair, and then a bunch of other 70c listings for Crab With Whatever.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    azith28 wrote: »
    https://poe.ninja/challenge/rare-beasts

There is an obvious price difference however. I was wondering if it had something to do with the type of item you get from the blood altar? Like it needs a nemesis mod to spawn HH or something?

thing to remember about poe.ninja

the API's list what an item is priced at, and when it is removed from the public API

so if a 70c item is priced there for 2 weeks, then is removed (either by being sold, or simply moved to a diff tab or repriced) it gets number crunched

because orbs are like a week old, lots of people are trying diff prices, selling high, buying low, lowballing etc etc

poe.ninja is valuable, but not the bible

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    If you really want to help make that D3 to poe transition easier you should buy your friend a currency tab

I do like how frequently I see that the storage tabs are on sale. I haven't purchased any but when I do decide to spend some money on this game I plan on waiting for a storage sale before actually spending the money.

Eff that. He makes waaaaaay more than I do

Seg wrote: »

I do like how frequently I see that the storage tabs are on sale. I haven't purchased any but when I do decide to spend some money on this game I plan on waiting for a storage sale before actually spending the money.

Storage tabs will change your life.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I mean I get that they want to have the flashy "hey they are on sale!" aspect but they are so common now that they should just make em the final price heh.

Eff that. He makes waaaaaay more than I do

Tell him that the price of joining PoE is a set of stash tabs for you then.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

Become the meme

I believe this is commonly known as "CoC-Spin"

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    I really want to do CoC Discharge, but CoC spin looks so smooth.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I believe they actually put tabs on sale every three weeks.

There's a high chance I will be doing a mjolner discharge juggernaut next league.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    how hard are CoC builds to gear for?

I really like the idea of them.

edited January 2019
    Al_wat wrote: »

Not super awful, but it is gear dependent. But I'm also not super mechanics savvy either.

I wonder if I could rejigger Vaal Double Strike into a CoC bladefall or BV character...

Brody on

edited January 2019
    Al_wat wrote: »

Depends.

The one I'm eyeballing is about 8ex minus those stupid expensive jewels, so well within my price range. (Cospris, Carcass Jack, The Pandemonium)

Some are godawful expensive tho.

jungleroomx on
    My tree is already dual wield crit, so I'd just need to switch gear/gems to CoC trigger and spells. Maybe I should look at what CoCspin uses...

Plus CoC (use) is fun to say.

I'm gonna be using a Cold Coc build.

Then there's CoC Spin, and I assume CoC Bleed!

Not to mention CoC Poison and CoC Burn.

edited January 2019
    oh no

my heavy strikes

they hit 4/4 on time

meme video incoming

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png

I hear there is an topical ointment for CoC Burn. However, if CoC Bleed last more than 4 hours, you may want to seek medical treatment.

Seg wrote: »

I just bought some tabs for myself. What I did and recommend is buying a supporter pack. It's like $30 for some visual stuff and $25 worth of points. So for just a few extra bucks you get some cool stuff like a new portal effect.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    people keep talking about how late we are into this league, when is it supposed to end? Isn't it only a month in?

So it looks like people are doing "Hits can't miss" weapons for CoC builds, but I have the Champion can't miss taunted enemy node.

Other than that, I think my build is already crit oriented, so Cyclone -> CoC -> Increased Critical Chance -> Bladefall -> Increased area(conc effect) -> Increased Crit Damage and then just a shit load of AS and crit chance?

1.5 months

about 50% of players quit in first month

another 30% quit in second month (which were in rn)

last month is people getting hype for next league, we'll start getting teasers for it in about 2.5 weeks

J3qcnBP.png

I hear there is an topical ointment for CoC Burn. However, if CoC Bleed last more than 4 hours, you may want to seek medical treatment.

What about CoC Shock?

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Are there any CoC block builds?

fRAWRst wrote: »
    oh no

my heavy strikes

they hit 4/4 on time

meme video incoming

https://youtu.be/6duOYnkvdYs

J3qcnBP.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Cool, thanks for all of the advice. I'll let him know about the BV builds. I've never gamed with him before so I don't know his play styles. He said that he's started watching some videos of gameplay and is interested. I'll see what he's feeling

The reason I recommend BV Ele for new players is that if you read through a billion build guide threads on poe website they all have a bunch of posts regarding how their build is dying in T1 maps or can't kill this or that. Except for BV Elementalist (or various Occultist builds which require some CI knowledge). There are zillion great builds but to make them work you have to understand the game. BV Elementalist is really, really, hard to fuck up no matter your game knowledge.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck