As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That TV Thread Ain't Right

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I only want kids in so much that I want a continuing lineage of people to constantly make immortality miserable for @Rorshach Kringle

You're right, Rorshach Kringle is a good Dracula.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Just the shittiest Belmonts over here

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've definitely got some legacy hangups, although mine didn't really come from my family

I'm the only person of my generation with my last name (and because it's not a common last name outside of one small town in Italy, that means the only person of my generation in the country), and there's something there I want to pass on

I don't really care about my bloodline, like, good at running, bad at mental health isn't a thing that needs to be preserved

But I dunno, names have power or something

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I have a friend whose sister fucking screamed at him when he said he wasn’t going to have kids and man that is so far outside of my frame of reference for a thing to be mad about

My mother shouted at me when I said I wouldn't be a surrogate womb for my sister.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'm glad I have kids. Even if they are nightmares that never sleep on time.

Sorry, to be clear

I was not being anti kids

I was being anti "you're expected to have kids to preserve your legacy"

I dunno Zack, I hear you founded anti-kids activist group SKID. Y'know, "kids" spelled backwards?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    My last name comes from my dad's bio dad who died when he was still an infant so I share it with basically none of my aunts/uncles and extended family, which at least lets me dodge that part of the legacy question.

"Don't you wanna help carry on the family name?"
    "We literally have different family names that's already out."

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've definitely got some legacy hangups, although mine didn't really come from my family

I'm the only person of my generation with my last name (and because it's not a common last name outside of one small town in Italy, that means the only person of my generation in the country), and there's something there I want to pass on

I don't really care about my bloodline, like, good at running, bad at mental health isn't a thing that needs to be preserved

Adoption?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Sorry, to be clear

I dunno Zack, I hear you founded anti-kids activist group SKID. Y'know, "kids" spelled backwards?

THATS DICKS YOU CANT TRICK ME

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I have a lot of friends who want to "continue their legacy" through having a bunch of kids.

And... Why?

You aren't some noble king.

You don't need to raise a clan to war with your neighbors.

Not yet, but we're rapidly approaching a post-apocalyptic future!

• Options
    Anyway as far as genetic legacies go, when I started t-blockers and they were going through the side effects, when they got to risk of infertility and asked if I was interested in taking any preservative measures beforehand, I didn't even need to think about it. NAH, SHUT THE WHOLE WORKS DOWN!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Sorry, to be clear

THATS DICKS YOU CANT TRICK ME

Zack I can assure you that "KIDS" spelled backwards is not "DICKS". That's not even the right number of letters!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think they did ask me before my vasectomy if I wanted to do anything similar to that

I was like nah I got two, that's enough

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Look... Don't have kids. Enjoy your life and let humanity come to an end.

It's for the best.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Adoption?

I'm not opposed or anything

But it's crazy expensive so I'd prefer not to

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think they did ask me before my vasectomy if I wanted to do anything similar to that

I was like nah I got two, that's enough

When they asked me if I was sure I just laughed and laughed.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    We will learn the wasteland but the children will be born into it, harder and fiercer than we could ever be

Hobnail on
  • Options
    I could absolutely see Anya being a warlord

Niko too, but he'd probably insist on riding a dinosaur

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    When I got married my father-in-law made these big heavy sighs ALL THE TIME about how "now the __________'s will come to an end" because his daughter will change her last name.

like he kept expecting me to be like "oh well then fuck I'll change my last name!" or something.

And it got so bad my wife decided NOT to change her last name, even though she wanted to. I am just staying out of it because it makes no REAL difference to me in terms of quality of life.

But I feel terrible for her because every time she's like "Im gonna just do it, I'm gonna change my last name" she chickens out because he gets all sad about it.

It's very very weird.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The last name thing is silly too

I would have been fine if @Janson wanted to keep hers, or wanted me to take hers

but she wanted to change it so I was like okay, cool

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The last name thing is silly too

I would have been fine if Janson wanted to keep hers, or wanted me to take hers

but she wanted to change it so I was like okay, cool

Yeah I had the same thing with my wife

I thought her previous last name was better, but she liked mine, so

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I only want kids in so much that I want a continuing lineage of people to constantly make immortality miserable for "Rorshach Kringle"

if anything, your kids would side with me to torment you

i'll turn every last one into the dreaded laramie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    For a while I thought the idea of carrying on a legacy was cool. I know some of our distant family history on my mom's side and we were like, kings and heroes and shit. But, well, by now there's a ton of people descended from kings from a thousand years ago, so that isn't really special. And for another thing, kings suck.

So it's not like I really feel like I'm part of some grand tradition or line, I've just never managed to build an identity for myself, so for a few years I latched onto an old dead one instead. And when you come down to today and you really look at it, I don't actually have any fatherly desire to raise and care for a child. And I CERTAINLY don't want to force some poor kid into a world that's going to perish in flame inside of 50 years. So, it's all kind of a wash.

I haven't really talked about this with my parents at all. My sister has made it pretty clear she isn't interested in kids and there hasn't ever been any huge drama over that, that I'm aware of.

• Options
    Hey did I bring it down? Uhhhhhh hey that Brooklyn 99 is a good show

• Options
    We watched an episode of Drunk History last night.

I like that show but maaaaan is it hard to watch some of the people be extremely sloppy drunks.

The lip syncing is amazing, though.

• Options
    I love watching sloppy drunks

• Options
    It's mainly when they show the vomiting

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I wonder if planet death despair is depressing birth rates

• Options
    i'm all about dunks, drunks, and chunks

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    It's mainly when they show the vomiting

Oh yeah that's not super fun

• Options
    i'm all about dunks, drunks, and chunks

Ah, I see you like to watch drunk people play basketball too.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I absolutely want to die in such a way that no trace of a body can be recovered
    I want someone out there to suspect there's a chance I'm still alive, for years

My goal is to have enough money to keep three people who look like me on retainer at all times.

In the event of my death:

One will be instructed to get in a cab just as my family leaves the hospital after identifying my remains.

One will show up, in dark hat and glasses, at the funeral, standing in the distance, partially obscured by a tree.

The final will show up at the cemetary on the first anniversary of my death, to leave a single forget-me-not on my grave before disappearing into the fog.

Narbus on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I have a friend whose sister fucking screamed at him when he said he wasn’t going to have kids and man that is so far outside of my frame of reference for a thing to be mad about

My mother shouted at me when I said I wouldn't be a surrogate womb for my sister.

ha ha what the fuck

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

ha ha what the fuck

When my wife and I got married, she told me she didn't want me to tell relatives for a while

I thought it was really weird but kept it secret to everybody but really close friends for about a year before it eventually came out

Without fail

The moment any person over 30 found out, they immediately asked her when she was having a child

Its the fucking WORST, people are absolute TRASH about this to women

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I used to be all worried cos I was the oldest and so I had responsibility or something to continue on the family, but then I realised that my Dad wasn't the oldest, and his Dad wasn't the oldest, and his Dad wasn't the oldest, so who cares?

Sucks to be my fourth cousin though, they gotta bear that weight.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

ha ha what the fuck

When my wife and I got married, she told me she didn't want me to tell relatives for a while

I thought it was really weird but kept it secret to everybody but really close friends for about a year before it eventually came out

Without fail

The moment any person over 30 found out, they immediately asked her when she was having a child

oh I know that, but a woman shouting at her own child that she won't let another, different child's baby grow inside her is fucking bizarre even in that context

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Adoption?

I'm not opposed or anything

But it's crazy expensive so I'd prefer not to

Dumpster baby

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I don’t know why the fuck anyone concerns themselves with another person’s life. The only people whose lives I may take an interest in is my kids’, and I swear I’m not going to harass them in any way, I’ll just be slightly curious/may ask some questions.

I don’t care whether or not my siblings/friends/relatives have kids or get married or change their names or whatever. I can’t fathom caring, like why do people care?!

• Options
    look i was very upset at my siblings having kids because they didn't ask me if i wanted to have to get to know any new people

it was rude af, imo

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

ha ha what the fuck

Without fail

oh I know that, but a woman shouting at her own child that she won't let another, different child's baby grow inside her is fucking bizarre even in that context

In my experience parents have some extremely messed up notions about what to degree they should have influence and control over their childrens' bodies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Narbus wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I absolutely want to die in such a way that no trace of a body can be recovered
    I want someone out there to suspect there's a chance I'm still alive, for years

My goal is to have enough money to keep three people who look like me on retainer at all times.

In the event of my death:

One will be instructed to get in a cab just as my family leaves the hospital after identifying my remains.

One will show up, in dark hat and glasses, at the funeral, standing in the distance, partially obscured by a tree.

The final will show up at the cemetary on the first anniversary of my death, to leave a single forget-me-not on my grave before disappearing into the fog.

Why couldn't you just have one person for this

This discussion has been closed.