As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wait, could I have an engineer command lancers to do no ammo team attacks?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Wait, could I have an engineer command lancers to do no ammo team attacks?

No, because I don't think lancers can team attack with anybody else except other lancers.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tanks can team attack too. I was pleased as shit to discover that.

They only use their machine guns, but yeah. It's a healthy chunk of free damage.
    No they don't. I discovered it firing my main cannon at an enemy tank, and my other tank nearby side "LETS GO" and shot as well with their main cannon.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    And a Lancer next to your tank will fire if you fire your cannon.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think they try to match whatever you're using.
    So if you fire bullets and they only have shells, no help.
    Heh, the more you know! I think I was so conditioned to never use the tank from 1 (it cost two moves to use, iirc), that I kept trying to find other solutions to everything that didn't involve using the tank.
    Even in 1, the tank was pretty useful. Moving cover, super deadly interception fire thanks to having negligible reload, knocking destructible cover down, and forcing grass-hidden enemies to stand up in a sniper-friendly manner.

Oh, and they can also shoot things. I usually end up using the smoke shells, as blocking any interception fire for your infantry as they charge the camp with three shocktroopers is easily worth the points.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Chapter 9:
    Well, I guess it's time for the unfair superweapon woman. Okay, bring it, lady.
    WAIT WHAT HE CAN ORDER HIS UNITS BACK TO LIFE WHY CAN'T I DO THAT NO FAIR.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Chapter 9:
    I can offer very little first-hand advice, as after that happened (and I assumed I'd need to restart the mission, as my turn-one strategy had resulted in my people being both spread out and taken out) I just gunned the Cactus towards the capture point, hopped out Raz, killed the remaining defender, had the Cactus blow up from all the intercepting fire it was shielding Raz from, and then started repeatedly hitting A in the hope that I'd capture the camp before he died, and... it worked!

A useful piece of knowledge that was passed on to me: if you 'tag' a downed enemy's prone body they're totally removed from the map and can't be stood back up. (Same way as if one of yours gets 'tagged' by an enemy you can't heal or rescue them.)

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Chapter 9:
    Well, I guess it's time for the unfair superweapon woman. Okay, bring it, lady.
    WAIT WHAT HE CAN ORDER HIS UNITS BACK TO LIFE WHY CAN'T I DO THAT NO FAIR.
    I think my 2 or 3-turn strategy is that i just drove the Hafen up to sight range and then spent like 6 actions on turn 1 shooting him with the Hafen (i had to run an engineer up to the Hafen to resupply at one point).
    Taking him out means no pesky Recall order and then the only thing you have to do is hunt down the enemy ace while dealing with Crymaria's interception range, which can be played around mostly by using the Hafen to draw her attention. If you drive the Hafen on turn two all the way to where the ace is hiding in the northeast corner, you machine gun him since he's a lancer and conveniently turn Crymaria in the opposite direction your base capturers will be coming from.

anyways i'm almost done with the main story and I have enjoyed my return to the VC series so far even if i missed the class customization options in VC2
    Raz was sometimes a bigger ass than I think the writers intended him to be, but he came through in the end.

Those last words of his....

Also did you know there's a unit you only unlock by having 1 mill ducats on hand? I would have literally never found out until postgame since i spent my money on basically any upgrade i saw until i got frustrated at the lack of a squad story and looked it up.

I made it through okay, but my OCD meant I had to go back to find the ace.
    Knowing how it works made the second attempt way easier, though I let the Vulcan live (I assume you don't get anything special for killing it?).
    Minerva and Command is so hilariously OP, she pulled Raz up the right hand side, killed the ace, and let Raz just charge the camp with a defence order (that I may not have even needed in hindsight). One flamethrower and done.

edited January 2019
    finished the main story
    Claude please

at least hand Riley over to the nurse/ship doctor and get her some treatment before you salute the TitanicCenturion, she's been shot and has probably lost half her blood for God's sake

Orphane on
    Orphane wrote: »
    finished the main story
    Claude please

at least hand Riley over to the nurse/ship doctor and get her some treatment before you salute the TitanicCenturion, she's been shot and has probably lost half her blood for God's sake
    That's just true to the world.
    I had Minerva rush and claim an enemy camp with 4HP left.
    The surrounding soldiers just packed up and left, and she was fine.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I went ahead and bought some DLC for my birthday, still on chapter 10 otherwise.
    "Go ahead. Wear your douchey swimsuit."

i also get that
    Raz is supposed to be dead and we're only getting him back for post-game purposes but come on, you couldn't have spun a little scene out of it, made it into something special since this is a JRPG?

Is there a handy guide anywhere for where all the aces are?
    I know I've missed some, but it's hard to find out which.
    Preferably text and/or maps, rather than a 30 minute youtube video I need to click through to find the right one. I'm fine with working out how to reach them and kill them, I just need to find the SOBs.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    You mean you don’t methodically kill every enemy on the map?

This link appears to be what you’re looking for.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/3127-valkyria-chronicles-4.html

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited January 2019
    I've been rushing A ranks. If it's between me and the main camp and I can't survive running past it, it dies.
    Otherwise they all get to live and leave the field in disgrace after I replace their flag with my flag.

klemming on
    Uh oh. I'm doing the Captainless Squad DLC right now and made a massive miscalculation.
    On the second battle map, I thought, "Hey, you can just run by the ice lady, a couple people will make it through." Of course, I forgot that her attacks are mortars in nature, so even with the natural walls between me and her she mowed down plenty of my team on round 1. And more importantly, she's not on a cliff, so she actually moves. That alone is like... oh... okay sneaking around the north edge of the map it is then.

On the plus side in the first map, Connor took out the boss tank because, again, anti-tank grenadiers are goddamn awesome.

Okay, Captainless Squad is complete. That was really cool. Not to mention difficult, goddamn.
    On the last battle of the DLC, things seemed pretty easy. I was able to move the team up as one down to half way on the map. Raz was a massive pushover, basically running into all my gunfire, and Kai was taken out by grenades and didn't pump out much damage on her intercept fire. So I setup at the bridge camp thinking shit would go that way.

Then Minverva showed up, told a couple mortar lancers to follow her, and I got the shit kicked out of me. Not a defeat / failure on the mission, but holy shit. She just ran by my team like a bat out of hell while the lancers tore us up while standing among us. On top of that, Riley ran to the other end of the bridge and got me stuck between a rock and a hard place. The next round was crucial but I was able to take Minerva and Riley down, and the lancers were a pushover after that. Rebuilt my team, then cross the bridge and went down a low path as well. That's when Claude brought everyone back to life and I was fucked for a few turns trying to poke damage out at the mortars and Kai. After they were down it was just a matter of using my mortar against the Hafen and securing the base.

Oh yeah, and as for the mission with the Valkyr lady, I managed to run into a bug near the end of it. She caught up to my team and started firing on it, but after taking down one person, everyone else seemed to be invulnerable to her attacks. I don't get what that was about.

Okay, Captainless Squad is complete. That was really cool. Not to mention difficult, goddamn.
    Oh yeah, and as for the mission with the Valkyr lady, I managed to run into a bug near the end of it. She caught up to my team and started firing on it, but after taking down one person, everyone else seemed to be invulnerable to her attacks. I don't get what that was about.
    Were they standing under cover? I've seen her attack people I knew were under cover, but the exploding ice effects still went off around them. It looked like it should have hit them, but they didn't take damage, so I assume the actual damage hitbox hi the cover like it was supposed to.

Were they standing under cover? I've seen her attack people I knew were under cover, but the exploding ice effects still went off around them. It looked like it should have hit them, but they didn't take damage, so I assume the actual damage hitbox hi the cover like it was supposed to.
    The way cover seems to work is that it checks to see if the targeted unit is standing under cover and if it the answer is yes, then they are completely unaffected by any mortar type attack, even if the mortar lands next to the cover and the blast would normally hit the unit. Funnily enough, I have seen mortars that land next to a shelter/cover destroy sandbags that my units were crouching next to, but as long as you're underneath cover - no damage, no debuff, no splash, nothing.

• IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    Knowing how it works made the second attempt way easier, though I let the Vulcan live (I assume you don't get anything special for killing it?).
    Minerva and Command is so hilariously OP, she pulled Raz up the right hand side, killed the ace, and let Raz just charge the camp with a defence order (that I may not have even needed in hindsight). One flamethrower and done.

restarted my run and gunning for being done before kingdom hearts hits. got to chapter 12. Any one have a clue how to get vancey to do her squad story mode? She seem like a magicarp and hoping to get her up but she is corporal already and nothing. same with odin as well.

yup my strats are mostly use the cactus or minerva to move the right units to the right places. The movement is too good. my corporal with star is my engineer so she can do the command as well to move people around.

edited January 2019
    Illieas wrote: »

restarted my run and gunning for being done before kingdom hearts hits. got to chapter 12. Any one have a clue how to get vancey to do her squad story mode? She seem like a magicarp and hoping to get her up but she is corporal already and nothing. same with odin as well.

yup my strats are mostly use the cactus or minerva to move the right units to the right places. The movement is too good. my corporal with star is my engineer so she can do the command as well to move people around.
    you have to save up 1 million ducats to unlock Gertrude, who is the third member of the trio you need alongside Vancey and Zaiga. Once you do get Vancey's Hammered potential changed, though, man....it's like Cinderella.

Odin's squad story is with Lily, who should have joined at the same time, and Jimmy, one of the lancers. iirc the condition to unlock squad stories is that you have to spend around 40 CP total commanding any of the units involved in the squad story, with CP in skirmishes only counting for 1 and CP in story chapters counting for 2, so if you already have Odin at corporal you might want to just redo an earlier story chapter and just spend a lot of moves on moving the other squad members around.

Orphane on
    edited January 2019
    Finished up Chapter 12.
    Having a hard time getting a read on the Empire's Valkyr lady. She's evil but also full of infinite regret, not that it stops her. Angie better be good in the end, I'm guessing she was the secret for how the ship was powered in the first place. I mean, that's the classic anime thing to do.

Also YAY RAZ AND KAI, I was thinking that would be an ending thing but this is good.
    Edit - Doing the squad story with Lily, Jimmy, and Thomas Odin.
    "Well Jimmy, sorry about all this. I know I'm probably not the person to go to hell with." I adore the dialogue in this game so much.

Henroid on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I love Jimmy. The game has so much fun with the fact that he's just this cheerful lad who's got This Guy's Going to DIE written all over him.

Finished up Chapter 12.
    Having a hard time getting a read on the Empire's Valkyr lady. She's evil but also full of infinite regret, not that it stops her. Angie better be good in the end, I'm guessing she was the secret for how the ship was powered in the first place. I mean, that's the classic anime thing to do.

Also YAY RAZ AND KAI, I was thinking that would be an ending thing but this is good.
    Crymaria's thing is a massive inferiority complex, coupled with being told she's nothing but a weapon her entire life. The magical nuke lady from the first game is way better than you, etc.
    If it were me, I'd think twice before insulting someone with deadly magical powers she can't totally control, but I'm not a scientist.

Had to stop last night right before what I assume is the final battle (it being called The Final Battle was a big clue):
    ...Did Evil Scientist just activate a magic nuke then stick around to see what would happen? And this is apparently a brilliant scientist?
    That's even more brilliant than VC1's final boss of now I'm invincible so long as I wear this heavy armor I can barely move in and stand on the deck of this crippled battleship within range of these pylons that can only be switched off by bullets or explosives. It's hard to believe that plan didn't work out for him.

I love Jimmy. The game has so much fun with the fact that he's just this cheerful lad who's got This Guy's Going to DIE written all over him.
    Some of the squad stories are misses but this one ended up being a winner for sure. When Odin introduced himself I thought he was a major douchebag and I never deployed him. He still is kinda douchey, but I like his ponytail? Lily I've been using anyway.

Unlike the first game, I'm also using a Darcsen Hater on my team fairly regularly. I avoided them in VC1 because they didn't exactly have gripping personalities, but Viola has enough going on that I... well I don't dismiss the hate, she sucks for that. It just makes the fictional cast I'm working with a little less perfectly-nice-tee-hee.

Legacies Left squad story.
    Ronald should've kicked Ryan's ass. I mean, Ronald needs to lighten up too, but still, Ryan was incredibly out of line there. As far as setups for stories go, I like this one best I think.

Best squadmates:

Nico (I really like her character story and the shuchu shuchu concentrate voice line, she became my best non-Minerva scout)
    Stanley (best Engrish, so classy, even his OH MY GOD death line)
    Neige (best sniper girl)
    Scott (yes sir! never let me down, legit protecc powers)

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    No Vancey?!

Stone Cold ssssober! *hic* ;-)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Vancey is the best because you look at her potentials and you're like "ok so all of these are bad, ergo her story unlocked potential has to be godlike"

and by god does it come through for rescuing her as a unit

Vancey is the best because you look at her potentials and you're like "ok so all of these are bad, ergo her story unlocked potential has to be godlike"

The funny thing is that all it changes is her most absolute terrible one (ends her turn outright if <50% AP). Though even then I think I only ever saw that activate once. All her other "bad" potentials are either perfectly manageable, or easy enough to never trigger.

-Lowered evasion on counterattack? Phht, one shot one kill.
    -Acting first lowers accuracy? Don't move her first, duh.
    -Lowered defense if no allies around? The way I played shocktroopers, that was never an issue. It's scouts that are most likely to be alone on the field, behind enemy lines.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    No Vancey?!

Stone Cold ssssober! *hic* ;-)
    I'm trying to unlock her goddamn squad story and it's not working. She's my favorite.

Vancey's story is tied to a character that's unlocked by having 1 million bucks on you. So stop buying stuff.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Best squadmates:

Nico (I really like her character story and the shuchu shuchu concentrate voice line, she became my best non-Minerva scout)
    Stanley (best Engrish, so classy, even his OH MY GOD death line)
    Neige (best sniper girl)
    Scott (yes sir! never let me down, legit protecc powers)
    I'm a fan of Mabel, Viola, Jimmy, Lily, Vancey, Rita, Aoife, Hanna, and Norid. I wasn't expecting to like Norid but from the squad story he is actually aware of how he and his world view sounds to other people. Mabel has a pretty assertive and aggressive attitude which kinda resonates with me.

The funny thing is that all it changes is her most absolute terrible one (ends her turn outright if <50% AP). Though even then I think I only ever saw that activate once. All her other "bad" potentials are either perfectly manageable, or easy enough to never trigger.

-Lowered defense if no allies around? The way I played shocktroopers, that was never an issue. It's scouts that are most likely to be alone on the field, behind enemy lines.

Well yeah, Hammered is the one that absolutely shuts her down (at least until it gets replaced) and the others can more or less be played around/ignored

But like Neige's Stage Fright and Hammered make it really hard to field them because suddenly not having AP is just not something you want to plan around

Well yeah, Hammered is the one that absolutely shuts her down (at least until it gets replaced) and the others can more or less be played around/ignored

But like Neige's Stage Fright and Hammered make it really hard to field them because suddenly not having AP is just not something you want to plan around

I had to reluctantly shelve Neige, because yeah that thing activated constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if it rolled that dice chance every time a new enemy was spotted. Which for a sniper is damn near all the time.

Vancey I imagine makes one roll when you hit 50% and then that's it. But yeah I always got a bit nervous if and when it was ever going to pop. It's even worse than Neige's, because Neige just stops moving but can still shoot. Vancey just ends the turn outright.

The characters in general I really liked across the board which was surprising to me, and made that one mission (16 I think) pretty tough to think about.
    chose Ryan because he's already grizzled veteran but how could someone pick Neige for that you monster

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I think I liked all of the squad stories except the one with the stupid engineer that I never used anyway? Aluard I think was his name? That one actually made me go from just not knowing who the guy was, to actively hating him.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited January 2019

I had to reluctantly shelve Neige, because yeah that thing activated constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if it rolled that dice chance every time a new enemy was spotted. Which for a sniper is damn near all the time.

Vancey I imagine makes one roll when you hit 50% and then that's it. But yeah I always got a bit nervous if and when it was ever going to pop. It's even worse than Neige's, because Neige just stops moving but can still shoot. Vancey just ends the turn outright.

Exactly why I stopped using Neige because it literally checks every time a yellow sight line is established or something (which is especially egregious if you do the Captainless Squad DLC and don't move her out of sight via piggybacking off a direct command). As much as I like trying out every unit it was like, I have other snipers who don't have negative potentials that ruin positioning efforts, sorry Neige, to the benches you go. And yeah Hammered was pretty bad but everything is fine when it gets replaced and Vancey becomes a wrecking ball when Former Elite procs!

Orphane on

To be honest, the bad traits popping up like that makes the game more interesting.