As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Thy Chex Consumed

y'all can stop now, this is the best one

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The Home Alone 2 by Iceplug run is a nice short hidden gem.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    It was neat, and it being brief helped a lot. Though I was sad to see the guy had no couch.

authorblues actually had some tweets about how people should volunteer to fill the couch even if they're just there to cheer the runner on. No need to be knowledgeable about the run at hand or anything. I agree with him tremendously. It's a big bummer to see someone on stage on their own.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It was neat, and it being brief helped a lot. Though I was sad to see the guy had no couch.

authorblues actually had some tweets about how people should volunteer to fill the couch even if they're just there to cheer the runner on. No need to be knowledgeable about the run at hand or anything. I agree with him tremendously. It's a big bummer to see someone on stage on their own.

But then you end up with the "I'd really like it if you'd just be quiet" again.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

But then you end up with the "I'd really like it if you'd just be quiet" again.
    Well obviously you don't just show up on the couch without the runner's consent.

I'm watching the Scribblenauts thing right now. It's not as impressive as I would've thought in the slightest. Like you enter silly items for the hair cutting / styling shit, but there's no unique animations or results.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    If you had random people on the fill out a couch then you're not giving them mics anyway so the "be quiet" thing wouldn't even come into play.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    imo its better when the couch is just the runners friends riffing and they're having fun than when the couch is a total narration of the game

if the dude is there with no friends then i think just putting randos on there proooobably isn't going to help much

really they should just not be accepting runs where the person is there with 0 backup, it's a show afterall

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    imo its better when the couch is just the runners friends riffing and they're having fun than when the couch is a total narration of the game

if the dude is there with no friends then i think just putting randos on there proooobably isn't going to help much

really they should just not be accepting runs where the person is there with 0 backup, it's a show afterall
    Schedule adjustments or unforeseen things happening in peoples' lives might result in an empty couch though. One of the GDQ hosts / staff was unable to arrive on day one as she originally booked a flight for, she showed up days late through no fault of her own. That sorta thing happens to attendees / runners and they might miss a commentary session or race, etc.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Spikevegeta will definitely hype man any run he thinks looks interesting, even if he is the only one on the couch. And he takes the time to watch the runner practice and asks questions then. He gets a decent knowledge base and works with it. Seen him do it a few times. He is super professional.

Edit: For the record if I was there I would see how many couches I could be on. Like that one extra who has shown up in like a dozen commercials and movies. Constantly in the background doing my small part to contribute. With the runners permission of course, but if they don't have anyone why not me?

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Spikevegeta will definitely hype man any run he thinks looks interesting, even if he is the only one on the couch. And he takes the time to watch the runner practice and asks questions then. He gets a decent knowledge base and works with it. Seen him do it a few times. He is super professional.

Edit: For the record if I was there I would see how many couches I could be on. Like that one extra who has shown up in like a dozen commercials and movies. Constantly in the background doing my small part to contribute. With the runners permission of course, but if they don't have anyone why not me?

Are you registered with the Couch Streamers Guild? There has to be regulation, or there would be chaos.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't typically watch runs twice, but I'm re-watching the Mario Odyssey run because dang this music is so good

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The donkey Kong tropical freeze race was hilarious. Definitely watch it if you want to laugh plus see a pretty good race.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    https://www.speedrun.com/ff9/run/y2qwq85y

Luzbelheim, the world record holder and one of the 3 runners from the AGDQ 2019 FF9 run managed to improve his WR yesterday by about 2 minutes.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    RPG Limit Break's twitch channel is hosting RPGBlitz, a marathon for "shorter" RPG runs (about the length of a feature film the intro host said):

https://horaro.org/rpgblitz/2019

There's the schedule, and they're starting now with Illusion of Gaia

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    RPG Limit Break is awesome.

• Options
    Oh hey, side note: Big Jon is hosting his own marathon this weekend, Nothing But Sonic & Mario, which is raising money for Child's Play:

https://horaro.org/nothin/schedule

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Now I want to play Illusion of Gaia

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Had an interesting conversation trying to explain Save/Kill the Animals to the cashier that asked, "Is that Metroid on your shirt?"

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
  • Options

Spoilers (gonna edit to add stuff) :
    10-man Final Fantasy X run got accepted hell yes. Each runner gets an hour.

EDIT: Bubbles got both Skyrim and Oblivion accepted, neat. Also SMRPG 100%!

• Options
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    For those of you interested in speedruns that are low on glitches, the No Glitches Allowed speedrun marathon benefiting the Go Rescue Pet Adoption Center is starting today. It features glitchless and no major glitches categories.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I only caught part of the second run between Tinahacks and churchnsarge, doing The Adventures of Rex Gravity or whatever.
    Such a bad game, but it was so entertaining!

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    SGDQ 2019 games list is out: https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list#top

Some highlights I noticed skimming through it
    • No Super Metroid
    • Deltarune
    • Kingdom Hearts 3
    • Half-Life 1 and 2
    • Crash Bandicoot 3 (let's hope it goes better than last time)
    • DOS Castlevania (which I didn't even know existed)
    • Link to the Past + Super Metroid Combo Randomizer (oh hell yeah)
    • Octopath Traveler (looks like a co-op relay edit: never mind, donation war to pick which 1 character story is run)
    • Sonic Adventure (Big the Cat 2 players 1 controller) (oh hell yeah)
    • TASBOT doing Celeste (All red berries), Mario Kart Wii (a selection of 8 tracks), and a couple runs of Tetris
    • We <3 Katamari (comfy runs)
    • Super Mario World (96 Exit, 100%, and a blind relay race)
    • Borderlands 2 co-op (perfect timing with the BL3 announcement today)
    • Banjo-Kazooie (this run just got a new big skip like 2 weeks ago so it's gonna be way faster)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Super Metroid is on the list as part of the Combo Randomizer race (LTTP+Super Metroid is the combo)

EDIT: Also I think 96 exit/100% might be the same thing? I don't see a 100% leaderboard here: https://www.speedrun.com/smw

So it might be a blind relay race in the category of 96 exit of SMW.

Goose! on
  • Options
    I know, I was just surprised there wasn't a "normal" run of SM. It was kinda stream of consciousness, I saw that before I saw the combo rando

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They experimented with leaving Super Metroid out of a marathon last year.

One issue is they kept doing a low% run which made one boss (Phantoon) very difficult, and if you died you had to start the run over since there’s no saving. And of course it’s far enough into the run that restarting would take too much time. So it’d be common to have “races” where the winner is the only runner to beat Phantoon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright in 50 minutes seems uh

I guess a lot of the playtime is skippable cutscenes huh

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Actually also I guess once you cut out the thinking through every turn strategically and learn your script it just turns into 50 minutes of quick menuing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SM+LTTP combo was definitely my highlight from last year, so I'm psyched

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I didn't know there was new tech in banjo, that's cool

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I didn't know there was new tech in banjo, that's cool

Somebody named Ninpalk found a way to skip basically the entirety of Furnace Fun, which means you no longer need to talk to Brentilda or worry about RNG except for one question.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineElegantCodWoofer

The 100% WR is now under 2 hours for the first time ever.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I saw Andy and Ivan practicing/submitting for the co-op randomizer run. It's a REALLY cool run, as they get to split up and communicate amongst each other for how evil the seed is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3zwaZm-_AE

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I am pretty bummed that the Ocarina Of Time Randomizer didn't make it in, spikevegeta and iateyourpie submitted a co-op run and it's super fun :(

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    as always, lemme at dat PJ run

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I am pretty bummed that the Ocarina Of Time Randomizer didn't make it in, spikevegeta and iateyourpie submitted a co-op run and it's super fun :(

I love OoT randomizers, but so many of them clock in at 6+ hours and I'd rather my LoZ runs be in prime time