As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Aktn Bstrd wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for all of the advice. I'll let him know about the BV builds. I've never gamed with him before so I don't know his play styles. He said that he's started watching some videos of gameplay and is interested. I'll see what he's feeling

The reason I recommend BV Ele for new players is that if you read through a billion build guide threads on poe website they all have a bunch of posts regarding how their build is dying in T1 maps or can't kill this or that. Except for BV Elementalist (or various Occultist builds which require some CI knowledge). There are zillion great builds but to make them work you have to understand the game. BV Elementalist is really, really, hard to fuck up no matter your game knowledge.

I fucked mine up p bad so...

fuck gendered marketing
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    This is my first time using delve crafting.
    5Z8kgzK.png

I'm thinking about crafting Onslaught on Soul Gain Prevention, as I drop the bois when I'm bossing and that's the only time I'd need onslaught. Thoughts?

• Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Plus CoC (use) is fun to say.

I'm gonna be using a Cold Coc build.

Then there's CoC Spin, and I assume CoC Bleed!

Not to mention CoC Poison and CoC Burn.

I hear there is an topical ointment for CoC Burn. However, if CoC Bleed last more than 4 hours, you may want to seek medical treatment.

What about CoC Shock?

You probably used the wrong topical ointment and that's a chemical burn.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    geth lock this thread

J3qcnBP.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    If you really want to help make that D3 to poe transition easier you should buy your friend a currency tab

playing is so annoying without a currency tab

I do like how frequently I see that the storage tabs are on sale. I haven't purchased any but when I do decide to spend some money on this game I plan on waiting for a storage sale before actually spending the money.

Storage tabs will change your life.

Storage tabs change the game from a Diablo-like RPG to a Closet Organizing Simulator.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I personally love just being able to click my inv clean. The maps tab is a godsend.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    If you really want to help make that D3 to poe transition easier you should buy your friend a currency tab

I do like how frequently I see that the storage tabs are on sale. I haven't purchased any but when I do decide to spend some money on this game I plan on waiting for a storage sale before actually spending the money.

Storage tabs change the game from a Diablo-like RPG to a Closet Organizing Simulator.

I feel like thats what I'm doing every time I log into diablo.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

D3 could really use a search function.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck

D3 could really use a search function.

Or a gem sorting tab.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    This is my first time using delve crafting.
    5Z8kgzK.png

I'm thinking about crafting Onslaught on Soul Gain Prevention, as I drop the bois when I'm bossing and that's the only time I'd need onslaught. Thoughts?

Im not really a fan of bonus during soul gain prevention as an affix. It kind of relegates the use to boss etc use and there are many bosses now where you dont take your souls with you on entry. Im sure it would work good. But it would seem there might be a more active affix you can put on.

On a personal note I got another Eye last night on a yellow elder. I had a heavy urge to sell it unid'd but the curiosity got the better of me. Ended up with a dud. But ive had two drop now when all of last league I hit elder hard and didnt get one lol. This league im only doing him when he is in a quad I have the maps for otherwise I ignore him.

Jubal77 on
    So it looks like Mathil's CoCspin build is using a shaper CoC sword. How/is it possible to find a CoC level 20 shaper sword, and then strip all the mods but CoC, and then craft it up nice? I guess, I've seen implications that you can, but does anyone have a good video/written guide that talks through crafting like that?

I'm only running Elder because I don't want to run Shaper on a 5 link. If I manage to amass a bunch of a map I like to run, I'll do that instead with sextants et al. but right now it is mostly catch as catch can. So far one Neb, one 1ex Eye, one 83 coral ring, one Yoke (last 2 from guardians). I think that's 6 red and 1 yellow.

― Marcus Aurelius

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So it looks like Mathil's CoCspin build is using a shaper CoC sword. How/is it possible to find a CoC level 20 shaper sword, and then strip all the mods but CoC, and then craft it up nice? I guess, I've seen implications that you can, but does anyone have a good video/written guide that talks through crafting like that?

If the only non-crafted mod is Supported by Level 20 Cast on Critical Strike, then you can buy a 6-linked base, Scour it, and hit it with many many Alterations until you get that affix (and possibly a second.) Then you Regal it, so you have a Rare with 2 or 3 affixes. Then you Annul it once (or twice) and pray you don't hit the CoC mod.

Rius wrote: »

If the only non-crafted mod is Supported by Level 20 Cast on Critical Strike, then you can buy a 6-linked base, Scour it, and hit it with many many Alterations until you get that affix (and possibly a second.) Then you Regal it, so you have a Rare with 2 or 3 affixes. Then you Annul it once (or twice) and pray you don't hit the CoC mod.

Can you roll a shaper mod with alts?

Sure, they'll just be relatively rarer to roll

edited January 2019

So the process that Mathil was showing was multi mod based. You need at least ilvl 68 on the sword. After you have a base you want to use you just alt orb until you get CoC. You then regal and then try to 50/50 off the regal. You then spend the ex to put on can have multiple crafted mods, I think its 2ex, and put on the rest of the affixes you want.

For most individuals crafting is a currency sink. Its usually easier to just farm up the currency to buy one outright.

Jubal77 on
    This conversation caused me to check the chaos:alteration ratio in Softcore. It had been 1:7, but now it's 1:10. That's way better!

edited January 2019
    Jubal77 wrote: »

So the process that Mathil was showing was multi mod based. You need at least ilvl 68 on the sword. After you have a base you want to use you just alt orb until you get CoC. You then regal and then try to 50/50 off the regal. You then spend the ex to put on can have multiple crafted mods, I think its 2ex, and put on the rest of the affixes you want.

For most individuals crafting is a currency sink. Its usually easier to just farm up the currency to buy one outright.

This makes sense, I've just never gotten enough to worry about higher level crafting, so I figured I'd at least peak at it.

edit: So it'd be way out of my price range either way, but it sounds like the idea is

Alt to reroll magic item mods for CoC
    Regal to make it a rare item (gains a couple more mods)
    Annul it until I get only the mods I wanted, while simultaneously praying I don't hit any of the mods I actually wanted
    Pay someone to give it the multiple crafted meta-mod on it
    Use the table to fill any left over mod slots.

Brody on

edited January 2019

This makes sense, I've just never gotten enough to worry about higher level crafting, so I figured I'd at least peak at it.

edit: So it'd be way out of my price range either way, but it sounds like the idea is

Annul it until I get only the mods I wanted, while simultaneously praying I don't hit any of the mods I actually wanted

That is it!

With the changes to master modding its much easier to do now. Its just a more expensive to multi mod on some affixes. So grabbing a 6L shaper base will be a bit spendy as it is identified right now for the CoC spin builds. And then you have to have annuls and regals which are not expensive but unless you are lucky you will have to spend multiple of them. After that its just if you have the currency to put the affixes on it you want.

Jubal77 on
    Can someone please take my ex-wife? I'd really like my house back to myself so I can PoE again.

And while it's expensive to buy a 6-link base, they're usually (much, much) cheaper than the amount of currency you'd spend trying to 6L something yourself. So the expense of getting your good 6-link kind of moves from the fuses to the multimod costs.

edited January 2019
    Sure. Just this late in the league the margin is low for selling the finished items. But the bases are still high. So for a 6L base right now it looks to be ~4ex. Lets say you are reasonably lucky and spend .5ex on getting CoC by itself. So you are 6.5 ex + table prices. You can get a decent 6l sword right now with CoC for 4-5 ex. Not with perfect multi mods but close.

Jubal77 on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hm

May have reduced my build costs by using MotC with Yoke to keep my mana topped off at all times with MoM.

Sure. Just this late in the league the margin is low for selling the finished items. But the bases are still high. So for a 6L base right now it looks to be ~4ex. Lets say you are reasonably lucky and spend .5ex on getting CoC by itself. So you are 6.5 ex + table prices. You can get a decent 6l sword right now with CoC for 4-5 ex. Not with perfect multi mods but close.

Man, I can't wait to have enough currency to spend a couple of ex on items.

Abuse the syndicate and you can earn that money pretty quickly

I'm still not entirely sure how syndicate works. I just kill them when they show up, and try not to select on option that destroys all items.

The 'craft multiple mods' thing for the bench isnt that hard to get yourself. its just the pale court. if youve been using your silver coins you should be decently far through the questlines by the time you finish the story. Personally I'm sick and tired of seeing the prophecys show up for plaguemaw, undying etc.

I'm still not entirely sure how syndicate works. I just kill them when they show up, and try not to select on option that destroys all items.

I'm amazingly stupid wrt the syndicate given how much I've played. I know where I want to get my conspirators but I don't know how to get them there. Seems very RNG like Alva and if I really engage I end up getting annoyed. Just running when I hit a 3 star in a done safehouse seems to work for me even though you end up with a lot of trash. Same with Alva, I try my best to upgrade the good rooms but I pretty much don't fish for rooms. I'm probably leaving a lot of coin on the table.

― Marcus Aurelius

The most tried and true method of making currency in this game is just playing it a lot. Those guys with bank full of EX have played every day since release. And most likely had a group of people with them to not only increase drop rates early but also to mass sell drops etc. I dont take the time to chaos recipe and the like and I still make decent ex per league. At least enough to get a 6L or two and to moderately trick out a character. All I do is sell all the few C items and up that I see drop. You can do chaos recipe though. And sell alch items and up etc. I just dont have the energy to go 100% on the economy in this game heh.

I mean its that or just get lucky and get a mirror drop heh.

Elldren wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for all of the advice. I'll let him know about the BV builds. I've never gamed with him before so I don't know his play styles. He said that he's started watching some videos of gameplay and is interested. I'll see what he's feeling

The reason I recommend BV Ele for new players is that if you read through a billion build guide threads on poe website they all have a bunch of posts regarding how their build is dying in T1 maps or can't kill this or that. Except for BV Elementalist (or various Occultist builds which require some CI knowledge). There are zillion great builds but to make them work you have to understand the game. BV Elementalist is really, really, hard to fuck up no matter your game knowledge.

I fucked mine up p bad so...

Many players forget to put the automaton herald effect on their herald of ice. This is critical.

― Marcus Aurelius

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    This league is probably the "richest" I've ever been. I've nearly completed my nebuloch juggernaut to my satisfaction. The only remaining part is a GG helm with -9% fire resist aura. I've accepted that I will never afford or find the +2 molten strike projectiles enchant and I haven't gotten around to buying extra nebulochs to corrupt, but all the other pieces are there and it's been amazing. I'd say I've spend about 13-14 exalts in currency to get all my gear.

Even then, I still feel poor compared to some of the others here (and I actually have only a few hundred chaos right now). I still have never done an exalt craft.

I'm also excited for tonight, because I'll be doing the rest of my guardian keys and finally kill shaper for the first time. Plus I've got a red elder spawned right now so hopefully I'll get uber elder to spawn not long after doing those. I'm also one fragment short of doing uber Atziri for the first time. This league has been great and full a ton of firsts for me.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053

I'm amazingly stupid wrt the syndicate given how much I've played. I know where I want to get my conspirators but I don't know how to get them there. Seems very RNG like Alva and if I really engage I end up getting annoyed. Just running when I hit a 3 star in a done safehouse seems to work for me even though you end up with a lot of trash. Same with Alva, I try my best to upgrade the good rooms but I pretty much don't fish for rooms. I'm probably leaving a lot of coin on the table.

Man, I extra don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing with Incursions. This game has so much stuff going on in it.

Man, I extra don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing with Incursions. This game has so much stuff going on in it.

Just remember these 3 things about Incursions:

Tier 3 rooms have chests with disappointment.
    Tier 3 corruption rooms allow you to double corrupt disappointment.
    Always get the Vault for it's plentiful disappointment.

I always just kill things for 30sec or so then run out of time and get kicked.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Did some act 9 blood aqueducts farming to work towards getting the mastermind and I got 9 humility so now I have a tabula rasa

It's gonna look real nice in my stash I guess

2x39jD4.jpg
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

There are two components to Alva -- jungleroomx is describing the actual temple, while you're describing the incursions to "build" the temple. When you see Alva hanging out on a map, and she brings up the incursion map that gives you two options of bosses to kill (the kill things for 30 seconds you're talking about) -- that's an incursion. Depending on which of the two masters you kill, you upgrade that particular room in a certain way. It will tell you what the result will be if you hover over the bosses before entering the incursion.

Once you've run that enough times (11 I believe), then you've completed shaping the temple in the present day. The rooms it has, and the level of those rooms (1-3) will depend on what you did in your incursions. If you empowered the vault guy 3 times by killing his rival 3 times, you'll have a tier 3 vault room that drops lots of currency (hopefully). To enter the present day temple you just find Alva (invite her to your hideout!) and hit "open temple". She'll open up a bunch of portals to your hand crafted present day temple (a la opening a Map), which you can then run for XP and loot and whatever special stuff your rooms offer you. Once you're done you just rinse and repeat -- run 11 incursions, run temple in present day.

Fiatil wrote: »

There are two components to Alva -- jungleroomx is describing the actual temple, while you're describing the incursions to "build" the temple. When you see Alva hanging out on a map, and she brings up the incursion map that gives you two options of bosses to kill (the kill things for 30 seconds you're talking about) -- that's an incursion. Depending on which of the two masters you kill, you upgrade that particular room in a certain way. It will tell you what the result will be if you hover over the bosses before entering the incursion.

Once you've run that enough times (11 I believe), then you've completed shaping the temple in the present day. The rooms it has, and the level of those rooms (1-3) will depend on what you did in your incursions. If you empowered the vault guy 3 times by killing his rival 3 times, you'll have a tier 3 vault room that drops lots of currency (hopefully). To enter the present day temple you just find Alva (invite her to your hideout!) and hit "open temple". She'll open up a bunch of portals to your hand crafted present day temple (a la opening a Map), which you can then run for XP and loot and whatever special stuff your rooms offer you. Once you're done you just rinse and repeat -- run 11 incursions, run temple in present day.

You didnt mention how to open doors.

During the incursions, something can occasionally drop 'stone of passage', which should show up as a bright green quest item. you need to grab that unlock a door (click on the door) before the time runs out, this permanently opens a door to a different room in the temple.

Basically it goes like this:

1) look at the map before you enter the incursion. Hover your mouse over the two colored points to see what killing that target will do to the room. you have two primary objectives and want to make two decisions. A) which of the two architechs do you want to kill to change/upgrade the room (east or west target), and B) which door do i need to open the most (carninal directions). In some cases, what door to open is more important than the architech. Ideally you want to clear a path from the entrance to the apex so that at least you get to kill the boss, who usually always drops a unique or vial. You may get two stones of passage but don't count on it. I'm lucky to find one sometimes if the ilvl is high.

2) enter the incursion. kill any visible normal mobs, and if you can, move 'north' or 'south' instead of 'east or west' because what you want to do first is extend the timer, which is done by killing creatures. don't head directly for the architech because they have shitloads of health and you can waste all your time burning them down depending on the level of the incursion. if you can kill a bunch of normal or yellow mobs before heading for the target, you give yourself time to work, and gives the stone of passage more time to drop. (Usually these drop from the rare mobs). once you have cleared the north or south area move around to your east or west target. get him killed, then continue in a circle killing everything you can and looking for the stone of passage, or if you got a stone to drop, head for the door you want to open.

tips:
    --If you start hitting a yellow whos really resistant to your damage, just keep moving to kill other things. getting time to work is your first 'need' before trying to do anything else.
    --As mentioned, most of the rooms being upgraded fully give...well junk. The most important rooms are the apex(getting to it), and the sacrificial altar (upgrading it is nice). Check the wiki for the details of what higher level rooms get you, but generally prepare for dissapointment from most of the 'chest' rooms. I like to upgrade the item level and pack size of targets in the temple if possible (Barracks and equipment room i think?)
    --Ideally if you want to get the full temple experience, make opening paths to every room your second priority after getting to the apex. if nothing else, its more to kill and some boxes.

--Depending on what level the incursions are done in affects the final monster/item level of the actual temple. Like Syndicate, Incursions in Tier 10 and higher maps are *really* hard and personally i avoid doing them at all in those areas.

--Don't make the mistake of thinking the architechs are pushovers. some will be but some have some pretty hard hitting attacks if you are careless.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Quick note on syndicate: "destroying items" doesn't affect your drops or rewards. As members of the Syndicate rank up and move around the syndicate they gain their own "items" that make them harder, like giving them new attacks or big stat buffs. You don't get these items, they do not affect any drops you get, they just make them harder.

You can go to view investigation and hover over the members to see the items they have too.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Quick note on syndicate: "destroying items" doesn't affect your drops or rewards. As members of the Syndicate rank up and move around the syndicate they gain their own "items" that make them harder, like giving them new attacks or big stat buffs. You don't get these items, they do not affect any drops you get, they just make them harder.

Destroying items is one of those no downside picks like dropping extra currency

fuck gendered marketing